Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football > Other College Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Irish#1
Living Your Dream!

Cash: 4,001,762,082,669,958.00
Bank: 30,187,717,689,904,688.00
Total Bankroll: 34,189,479,772,574,644.00
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Redshirt Rule - Unintended Consequences?

Interesting article on a possible trend developing in CFB? Redshirt rule being utilized in a manner not expected? How does a kid tell the coach he doesn't want to play and wants to redshirt right before kickoff? Does the kid have the right to do that if the coach wants to play them?

Growing Trend of Midseason Redshirting Has Caused a Divide in College Football
ROSS DELLENGEROCT 8, 2019
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Last week, ahead of its game against Maryland, Rutgers announced a new starting quarterback. Redshirt freshman Johnny Langan would make his first collegiate start. The reason behind the move was anything but ordinary: Artur Sitkowski, the starter in the previous two games, was choosing not to play while considering a redshirt this season.

Two weeks ago in Houston, the same happened. Starting quarterback D’Eriq King chose not to continue playing this season in order to preserve a year of eligibility. One of his receivers, Keith Corbin, made the same decision, as both of them used a rule the NCAA passed last year to allow players to redshirt while competing in as many as four games in a single season. King’s decision has sent a ripple effect through college football. Players making similar choices are springing up across the county. Some of them like King are remaining on their current teams—for now. They are publicly expressing no interest in transferring, using the year to develop in preparation for the next season. Others, like Michigan State running back Connor Heyward, are immediately entering the transfer portal in an effort to get a head start on their next stop.

This has gone from peculiar anomaly to widespread trend in a matter of days. Texas A&M lost its starting punt returner, receiver Roshauud Paul, who was averaging 13 yards a return. Kansas lost its leading running back, Khalil Herbert, who was averaging nearly nine yards a carry. North Carolina lost a senior linebacker who last season started four games, and Ohio State lost a safety who started more than half the season in 2018. This is happening even on the FCS level. Howard University starting quarterback Caylin Newton, Cam Newton’s younger brother, announced recently he would redshirt and transfer after playing in four games.

It is an October Exodus, and many feel like it will only grow. “It’s an epidemic,” says Greg McElroy, the former Alabama quarterback who now works as an analyst for ESPN. “It’s not ideal for the sport and trying to promote teamwork.” This is the newest frontier of the player empowerment movement sweeping the game, says Jacob Hester, ex-LSU running back-turned-Baton Rouge radio personality. It is the latest trend in the rapidly changing world of college football, along with players sitting bowl games and entering the transfer portal. “It’s going to snowball,” Hester says. “Maybe it’s old school, but I can’t imagine a guy after four weeks just shutting it down when I played.”

College football is firmly divided on the issue. There are those against it, like McElroy, Hester and plenty of coaches, and there are those for it, like Don Jackson, an Alabama-based attorney specializing in NCAA matters. For the last 18 months, Jackson has consulted with several players and their families about the process of electing to redshirt. Not only does he feel that it is good for the game, but he hopes the NCAA takes the redshirt policy to the sport of basketball. Four games is one-third of a regular season in college football. A third of a basketball schedule is about 10 games. “Coaches are not very happy about it,” Jackson says. “It doesn’t make sense for a student-athlete to be forced to lose a season of competition at a place that he does not fit or where he is unhappy. The fact the coaches are dissatisfied with it tells me it’s beneficial for the game.”

Many coaches are indeed unhappy. Some administrators are concerned, too. Those who spoke to Sports Illustrated did so under condition of anonymity. Players’ rights issues are sensitive matters these days. On this latest trend, at least one Power 5 athletic administrator believes the Group of Five will become even more of a minor league for the Power 5 than it is today. The big boys will poach the lower-level clubs’ best players. King’s situation at Houston is a prime example. He’s one of the nation’s most prolific quarterbacks, but the Cougars began the season 1–3 with first-year coach Dana Holgorsen. Few around college football believe King will keep his word and remain at UH. Some have a stronger feeling about it than others. “There isn’t any way in hell that kid is going to be a Houston Cougar next year,” says an FBS coordinator. Because he did not announce a transfer or enter the portal, King remains with the Houston football team. That means he has the luxury of medical care, scholarship money, coaching lessons and practice snaps. Many believe a Power 5 club with an open starting quarterback position will soon come calling—if they haven’t already. King will have a year of eligibility remaining and can play immediately as a graduate transfer. “That whole story with D’Eriq King blows my mind,” says one Group of Five assistant. “What if some big school comes in and says ‘Why don’t you come here to play?’ Jalen Hurts is going to graduate and if [freshman backup QB] Spencer Rattler isn’t ready…”

Most of the players who are making these decisions have a few things in common. They compete on teams that endured a tough first month and recent coaching change or the player is not receiving what he feels is adequate playing time. But redshirt decisions aren’t only in the hands of the players, says Gerry DiNardo, the former head coach at LSU, Vanderbilt and Indiana. If the first month of the season goes poorly, will coaches manage their roster in a way to gear up for next season and punt on this year? Maybe. “Now that King has done this, I think coaches are going to say, ‘Why didn’t I think of that?’” DiNardo, now an analyst for the Big Ten Network, said on the network last week. He offered an example of a senior offensive tackle who struggled through the first month of the season. The tackle could sit the rest of this season and be in better position next year to help the team. Other coaches view this as another step toward free agency. “That’s scary to me,” says an SEC assistant. For some of them, landing spots might be difficult. “There’s still a lot of old school coaches in the game saying, ‘Do I want a guy who quit on his team?’” says an FBS staff member.

The ironic twist here: This is an unintended consequence of a rule that coaches exhaustingly fought to pass for years. The rule was intended to give players, namely freshmen, key experience while not removing a complete year of eligibility, and for coaches, it relieves them from a late-season dilemma of burning a kid’s redshirt while using them only a few plays. Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, was a leader in the movement to modify the redshirt rule. Berry and coaches discussed the measure for years before its adoption, and so far this year, he’s received rave reviews from coaches and administrators. “We knew there were going to be some of these circumstances,” Berry says. “I don’t foresee it snowballing.” Many others disagree. In fact, Jackson believes players would have used this method more last year if they and their families better understood the “process and benefits.” With more understanding will come more of these situations, he says.

Last year, the most notable of these scenarios was Kelly Bryant—the former Clemson quarterback who lost his starting job to Trevor Lawrence four games into the 2018 season and then took off the rest of the season—eventually finding a home at Missouri, where he’s led the Tigers to a 4–1 record so far this season. Despite the uniqueness of his situation, Bryant’s decision last year still caused a stir nationally. He’s quitting on his team. Many of the same comments are floating around in light of similar decision this year. “I’ve seen them characterized as selfish and quitting,” Jackson says. “I don’t have a good understanding as to why people are taking such a harsh approach.” There are strong opinions on each side. One coach even connected this situation with that of declining attendance. “If the kids are going to say ‘f--- it,’ fans can quit too.” Says another SEC staff member, “The quitters are going to quit regardless. Sometimes they quit on you and still go to practice, which is worse than them entering the portal. Then you’ve got to deal with their attitude and all the s--- like that.”

Urban Meyer, the former Florida and Ohio State coach who’s now a FOX analyst, believes the redshirt rule is still a good rule despite this unintended consequence. During a Big Ten Network spot with DiNardo, he wonders how other players privately feel about their teammates choosing to redshirt a third of the way through a season. “Publicly, they’ll support him,” he said specifically talking about King’s situation. “I bet there’s a few behind the scenes going… imagine the seniors on that team.” But DiNardo countered with a different viewpoint. “Might be enough of juniors that weren’t going to have him next year saying, ‘Hey! He’s coming back for my senior year!’” DiNardo said. “Everybody’s going to look at it differently.”

One Power 5 athletic administrator believes the rule will eventually be modified to restrict its use to freshmen only. That was the original intention. Many of the players electing to redshirt this season have been upperclassmen. Not all of those players plan to leave the team, but that scenario—a senior, for instance, sticking around another year—could pose a problem for schools, too. “The coach is thinking, ‘We didn’t recruit you. I need that scholarship,’” says one FBS administrator. “It’s going to happen and it’s going to put administrators in a bad spot.”

This is too young of a trend to know its full repercussions, but McElroy believes this could potentially devastate lower-level FBS programs because of their lack of depth. The Alabama and Ohio States of the world have nothing to worry about, he says, but programs like Houston and Rutgers might not be able to recover from such losses. “If a player did this at Alabama when I was there, Nick [Saban] would say ‘Don’t let the door hit you on the way out,’” McElroy says. Maybe that’s what happened at Kansas, where Herbert initially planned to redshirt and return to KU next season, but “things did not work out,” he posted in a statement online. He’s expected now to transfer.

At Rutgers last week, it got worse for interim coach Nunzio Campanile before playing the Terrapins. After his starting quarterback expressed interest in redshirting earlier in the week, his starting running back did the same just a few hours before the game against Maryland. The Scarlet Knights lost 48–7 to a team that had lost the week before 59–0. After the game, Campanile expressed his displeasure in the situation. “Am I disappointed by it? Incredibly. Do I understand it? I guess so,” he told media. “I guess that’s the way the world is now. I think this is a game about your team, and it’s about sacrificing personal accomplishment for the success of the team. But that’s the world they live in and they have a lot of people telling them, ‘Worry about you, worry about you.'”
Irish#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Irishize
Junior

Cash: 53,490,117,078,657.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 53,490,117,078,657.61
Donate
Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!

Mike Elston has been quoted as saying he loves the rule. Likely b/c it’s worked well for ND thus far when you look at the recent injury to Hayes & ability to “swap” him out for Jamir Jones in regards to redshirting.
Irishize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
stlnd01
Team MVP

Cash: 50,077,883.30
Total Bankroll: 50,077,883.30
Donate
stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!

I think it has worked out quite well for us. Several guys this year and last who got hurt early use it to preserve a year of eligibility. And you can get freshmen a little game action without burning a season. And redshirting an upperclassman who can’t quite crack the lineup this year, but might be valuable next year provides some of the flexibility we give up by not taking JUCOs or many transfers. All good. But we haven’t seen anyone quit the team a month in to transfer. Yet.

The Houston QB situation will be interesting. His stated intention is to come back next year. If he does, maybe it’s brilliant. If he bolts, not so much.

Last edited by stlnd01; 10-09-2019 at 09:27 AM..
stlnd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
SoDakDomer
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 6,459,582.57
Bank: 444,494,684,607.51
Total Bankroll: 444,501,144,190.08
Donate
SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SoDakDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!
Philadelphia Eagles Notre Dame

At some point it will hurt us but ND's always dealt with transfers. Overall I think it will be a competitive advantage for ND. Most kids that come to ND value the education and the university more than just football. We recruit different kind of kids than the football factories.
SoDakDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Irish#1
Living Your Dream!

Cash: 4,001,762,082,669,958.00
Bank: 30,187,717,689,904,688.00
Total Bankroll: 34,189,479,772,574,644.00
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

I think it has helped to, but my question is more about these kids that are deciding in the middle of the season or in the one case right before the game that they want to redshirt primarily for transfering. Given the type of kid ND recruits, I don't see this becoming an issue at ND, but as word gets out I think you'll see this happening more and more. I wonder how the players like it when a teammate all of a sudden decides he's done for the year?
Irish#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
NDIrish88
Junior

Cash: 14,028.02
Total Bankroll: 14,028.02
Donate
NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDIrish88 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Totally agree with what others have said. How and who ND recruits help to mitigate these issues. Also kids are going to transfer no matter what, this just gives them more options. When coaches leave it is business as usual. If a kid "quits" on his team mid year everyone loses their minds. Ridiculous
NDIrish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Cash: 24,796.00
Bank: 2,280,040,653,608,193,792.00
Total Bankroll: 2,280,040,653,608,218,880.00
Donate
IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati

I don't mind it. Kids finally have some of the same mobility that their coaches have.

I know, I know, 'commit to the school not the coach' and 'these guys are amateurs,' but I think it sucks when a head coach recruits a kid to play in HIS system at HIS school, and then leaves for a different job before the kid has even had a chance to develop.

Giving kids the ability to decide "I'm gonna redshirt and do what's best for me when the time comes" is something they deserve, IMO.

I also think the whole "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TEAM" and "how do their teammates feel?" thing is overblown. The other kids know the deal. They know that their teammate is making a big decision, and likely for career-altering reasons. They know that they have to do what they can to look out for themselves, at that their teammate is doing the same.

Now, if you saw a key starter decide to redshirt in the midst of an undefeated season or playoff run? That would be bush league... but it would never happen.

The closest thing would be Kelly Bryant at Clemson, and he decided to do it because he lost his job to a freshman phenom. At that point, he deserved the chance to sit out and save himself the opportunity to play as a starter somewhere else, provided he was academically capable of a graduate-transfer, which he was.

Most of the problems that people see with this improved mobility/opportunity for student athletes actually work themselves out in natural ways before the decision is even made.
IrishLion is offline   Reply With Quote