Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football > Other College Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
OCIrish
Fukk Michigan

Cash: 880.89
Bank: -0.17
Total Bankroll: 880.71
Donate
OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!OCIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Notre Dame

Old added saying, "defense wins championships". Hoke isn't going to win with his offense until he gets that God awful defense fixed...the only way he's going to do that is to recruit some talent and depth for the defensive side of the ball. He may also think he can generate offense like BK, however I wouldn't buy that. I don't believe he's in the same category as BK in terms of offensive coaching yet, or maybe ever, we shall see. **** Rod recruited ok on offense, on defense though, think Weis.....
OCIrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #16
DaLastFarleyite
The smell of Peoria

Cash: 2,493.35
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 2,493.35
Donate
DaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really niceDaLastFarleyite is just really nice

He'll probably convert a couple of the DBs to WRs down the line. That would take care of the apparent hole in the WR recruiting. Can't get all the DBs on the field at the same time anyway.
DaLastFarleyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
Riddickulous
"That" Guy

Cash: 2,350,427.92
Total Bankroll: 2,350,427.92
Donate
Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCIrish View Post
Old added saying, "defense wins championships". Hoke isn't going to win with his offense until he gets that God awful defense fixed...the only way he's going to do that is to recruit some talent and depth for the defensive side of the ball. He may also think he can generate offense like BK, however I wouldn't buy that. I don't believe he's in the same category as BK in terms of offensive coaching yet, or maybe ever, we shall see. **** Rod recruited ok on offense, on defense though, think Weis.....
The problem is that he recruited pipsqueak spread players who do not fit well in a west coast offense.
Riddickulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #18
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,952,097.54
Bank: 12,913,358,801,409,474.00
Total Bankroll: 12,913,398,853,361,572.00
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Alright, those sorts of thoughts go through my mind too ["concentrate on defense"; "convert DBs to WRs"; etc]. But either one of those philosophies can leave you with a superb defense down the road on a team which can't score. That sort of team will grind a lot of inferior teams up [by simple power], but will not beat Kelly. He will neutralize the power up front with his fast offense and outscore them.

It will be back to the old Big Ten which will kill you with wear-&-tear season-long, but cannot beat a high skill team with relatively equal lines. [i.e. Big Ten vs SEC lately]. One almost wonders if just competing at the top of the Big Ten is his goal [at least in the next few years]?

Of course all this cogitating goes away if he reels in three or four high skill offensive players down the stretch. Still I can't think of how his QB, RB, and WR coaches are feeling about their units right now, and whether they feel they have the necessary support in the war room.
Old Man Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
phork
Raining On Your Parade

Cash: 3,301.63
Bank: 227,971,825,929,029,664.00
Total Bankroll: 227,971,825,929,032,960.00
Donate
phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!phork should be giving advice to Kelly!
Detroit Tigers Boston Celtics Detroit Lions Montreal Canadiens Notre Dame Manchester United England

Change Hoke to a certain coach we all know and love, named Kelly. I can't recall the quote he said recently but he reflected on how the offense only needs to function but the defense is where its all. Ask Weis how many games his offense won for him, and how many games the defense lost for him.

Hoke is building depth on D because of the constant rotation of personel it takes to run a defense at a high level. Once the defense is straightened out then you can tweak your offense. The Ravens won an NFL championship with killer D and a barely adequate O.

The thing that puzzles me is why Mattison would go to UM. Its a step down from NFL, hell its a step down from being a college head coach. IMO I think its a retirement job where there isn't as much pressure for you as a coach. It was a head scratcher for sure, but one where Hoke can sell a NFL calibre coach as the real deal bill of goods. Kids love that.
phork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
Riddickulous
"That" Guy

Cash: 2,350,427.92
Total Bankroll: 2,350,427.92
Donate
Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!Riddickulous should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by phork View Post
Change Hoke to a certain coach we all know and love, named Kelly. I can't recall the quote he said recently but he reflected on how the offense only needs to function but the defense is where its all. Ask Weis how many games his offense won for him, and how many games the defense lost for him.

Hoke is building depth on D because of the constant rotation of personel it takes to run a defense at a high level. Once the defense is straightened out then you can tweak your offense. The Ravens won an NFL championship with killer D and a barely adequate O.

The thing that puzzles me is why Mattison would go to UM. Its a step down from NFL, hell its a step down from being a college head coach. IMO I think its a retirement job where there isn't as much pressure for you as a coach. It was a head scratcher for sure, but one where Hoke can sell a NFL calibre coach as the real deal bill of goods. Kids love that.
Correct.

Michigan's last championship season (1997) featured an excellent defense and an utterly anemic offense.
Riddickulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
NYIrish14
Freshman

Cash: 47,462.32
Bank: 37,686.65
Total Bankroll: 85,148.97
Donate
NYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond reputeNYIrish14 has a reputation beyond repute
New York Yankees Binghamton

What suprises me about Michigans recruiting is that their able to still get good players to commit when they havent been a very good football team for some time. For the past four years, Rod has had some pretty crappy seasons and so had ND under Weis. However, what really ticks me off the most is the fact that ND has to prove more that they can win in order to get recruits than Michigan does. Hoke has done absolutely nothing at Michigan yet they havent even played a game, but somehow their selling recruits on the program. It just confuses me how Michigan can recruit so much easier, not saying that its hard for us to recruit. I do feel like Hoke is a very likeable guy and can understand why so many players want to play for him, but its just puzzling. I also want to say that even though they are recruiting very well, they have not gotten elite talent yet. Dont get me wrong hes recruited some solid players but their not elite. One thing is that hes getting almost all of his players from the midwest.Not to knock on the midwest but they dont produce as much talent as the likes of FL, GA, TX etc. I really feel like Hoke is preparing for a not so great season and is grabbing as many players as he can be the poop hits the fan. There will be decommits.
NYIrish14 is offline   Reply With Quote