Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
stlnd01
Team MVP
 
stlnd01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,376
Cash: 50,070,326.25
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 50,070,326.25
Donate
stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!stlnd01 should be giving advice to Kelly!

This will pay dividends in USC games, in particular, for the foreseeable future.

Now if we can just keep landing/developing pass rushers...
stlnd01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Veritate Duce Progredi
You bray like an ass!
 
Veritate Duce Progredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,651
Cash: 689,667,599,311.70
Bank: 1,783,167,099,417,842.00
Total Bankroll: 1,783,856,767,017,153.50
Donate
Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!


Quote:
Originally Posted by stlnd01 View Post
This will pay dividends in USC games, in particular, for the foreseeable future.

Now if we can just keep landing/developing pass rushers...
Yes, we always want to point at a specific position but we need to recruit everyone position well if we want to make playoff runs. There can't be a weakness against teams like Bama and Clemson.

It finally looks like all three levels of the defense are being stockpiled. Now I want to see our RB/WR recruiting take off. We need elite speed at those positions as well.
Veritate Duce Progredi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
NDohio
Starter
 
NDohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Camden, SC
Posts: 3,679
Cash: 79,085,478.31
Bank: 1,683,890,185,235,304.00
Total Bankroll: 1,683,890,264,320,782.50
Donate
NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Denver  Broncos Tottenham Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDohio View Post
Remember when the consensus was that Todd Lyght wasn't getting it done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDIrish88 View Post
Yes he finally came through. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyIrish View Post
I think it's quite possible for coaches to grow and evolve too. The criticism at the beginning could have been fairly warranted, and the additions of Elko/Lea have helped him grow and mature to become a better coach and recruiter. In fact I'm pretty sure Kelly said as much recently in one of his pressers.
Sorry, should have been more specific in the beginning... I didn't mean that the consensus was wrong, I just meant it wasn't that long ago when we were all extremely concerned about Todd Lyght's ability to both recruit and develop his position. The DB group has made a very drastic turn around in a very short time period. It wouldn't have been that long ago that this thread would have been made in reference to how bad the DBs are not how good they are.
NDohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Irish YJ
Book for El Presidente
 
Irish YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (From Indy)
Posts: 16,975
Cash: 674,936,500,536,681.12
Bank: 194,942,440,346,079,840.00
Total Bankroll: 195,617,376,846,616,480.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany




Quote:
Originally Posted by NDohio View Post
Remember when the consensus was that Todd Lyght wasn't getting it done?
Honestly, jury is still out on TL. He came on after a very bad year for our passing D (2014), but before that, it was pretty good performance wise. Depth has without a doubt improved though.

We took a step back last year, but righted the ship this year. Is that Lyght or Terry Joseph? Kerry Cooks did a pretty good job except for 2014, but Oklahoma is not looking good at all LOL coming in at 104 in passing D. I'll pile on BVG and blame him for 2014 since it was his first year.

Here's the passing D rankings from 2012 and on. Bolded are Lyght's years. TJ joined 2018.

2012 - 31
2013 - 21
2014 - 81
2015 - 26
2016 - 20
2017 - 49
2018 - 32
__________________
12-0, here we go! We are going to get so tired of WINNING!
Irish YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
NDMIA
Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,150
Cash: 100,000,015,604.21
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 100,000,015,604.21
Donate
NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!NDMIA should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
Honestly, jury is still out on TL. He came on after a very bad year for our passing D (2014), but before that, it was pretty good performance wise. Depth has without a doubt improved though.

We took a step back last year, but righted the ship this year. Is that Lyght or Terry Joseph? Kerry Cooks did a pretty good job except for 2014, but Oklahoma is not looking good at all LOL coming in at 104 in passing D. I'll pile on BVG and blame him for 2014 since it was his first year.

Here's the passing D rankings from 2012 and on. Bolded are Lyght's years. TJ joined 2018.

2012 - 31
2013 - 21
2014 - 81
2015 - 26
2016 - 20
2017 - 49
2018 - 32
What stat category is this? Total passing yards allowed? If so, I hate that stat. There’s so much more to pass defense than one big number to define your DB’s. For example, Notre Dame is 126/130 in pass attempts per game given up. They have no control over the opponents play call but most opponents throw on them more than any other team in the FBS. So the yards given up doesn’t necessarily define their DB’s. Here’s a better look at ND’s DB group.

Opponent Passing Yards Per Game: 31st
Opponent Completion Percentage: 31st
Opponent Team Passer Rating: 4th
Opponent Yards Per Pass Attempt: 2nd
Opponents Yard Per Completion: 2nd

These can show you that with ND being almost dead last in pass attempts per game, they will give up some yards eventually. But in terms of the average pass given up (Yards Per Pass Attempt/Completion) and effectiveness of the passing game (Passer Rating) they are truly an elite unit. Overall I’d say they are a very very good unit when combining all the stats together. They give up short passing plays and rally to the football and tackle effectively. I’d rather be elite in those categories than be Clemson and be elite in completion percentage rankings but not so good at all in yards per completion which is signaling they can give up the big play (which they do).
NDMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Irish YJ
Book for El Presidente
 
Irish YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (From Indy)
Posts: 16,975
Cash: 674,936,500,536,681.12
Bank: 194,942,440,346,079,840.00
Total Bankroll: 195,617,376,846,616,480.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany




Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMIA View Post
What stat category is this? Total passing yards allowed? If so, I hate that stat. There’s so much more to pass defense than one big number to define your DB’s. For example, Notre Dame is 126/130 in pass attempts per game given up. They have no control over the opponents play call but most opponents throw on them more than any other team in the FBS. So the yards given up doesn’t necessarily define their DB’s. Here’s a better look at ND’s DB group.

Opponent Passing Yards Per Game: 31st
Opponent Completion Percentage: 31st
Opponent Team Passer Rating: 4th
Opponent Yards Per Pass Attempt: 2nd
Opponents Yard Per Completion: 2nd

These can show you that with ND being almost dead last in pass attempts per game, they will give up some yards eventually. But in terms of the average pass given up (Yards Per Pass Attempt/Completion) and effectiveness of the passing game (Passer Rating) they are truly an elite unit. Overall I’d say they are a very very good unit when combining all the stats together. They give up short passing plays and rally to the football and tackle effectively. I’d rather be elite in those categories than be Clemson and be elite in completion percentage rankings but not so good at all in yards per completion which is signaling they can give up the big play (which they do).
I love advanced stats, etc, but.... I'm still a fan of the simple things. Yards (passing or rusing, or total) are still the clearest indicator in D accept for maybe pts/game.

And I disagree we can't impact play calling. I'd argue that offensive play calling is a product of 3 things. 1) what your O does well, 2) what is the weak part of the D you are facing, and 3) need/situation (are you down 3TDs, or up 3TDs).

If for instance you are known to play soft, or bend but don't break, you're probably going to give up a lot of short to intermediate passes (like against FSU). If you press at the line and can't get a rush, you're probably going to give up some long passes.

From a need perspective, a D goes conservative when they are up late. An O passes when down late.

In short, a lot of things go into the numbers, but at the end of the day, elite passing Ds have lower passing yards than others. It's when you are comparing teams vs each other, that you really need to drill down on other more advanced stats.
__________________
12-0, here we go! We are going to get so tired of WINNING!
Irish YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
dad4aa
Senior
 
dad4aa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Near campus
Posts: 2,624
Cash: 6,373,067,230,910.38
Bank: 354,906,850,223,885,824.00
Total Bankroll: 354,913,223,291,116,736.00
Donate
dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!dad4aa should be giving advice to Kelly!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
I love advanced stats, etc, but.... I'm still a fan of the simple things. Yards (passing or rusing, or total) are still the clearest indicator in D accept for maybe pts/game.

And I disagree we can't impact play calling. I'd argue that offensive play calling is a product of 3 things. 1) what your O does well, 2) what is the weak part of the D you are facing, and 3) need/situation (are you down 3TDs, or up 3TDs).

If for instance you are known to play soft, or bend but don't break, you're probably going to give up a lot of short to intermediate passes (like against FSU). If you press at the line and can't get a rush, you're probably going to give up some long passes.

From a need perspective, a D goes conservative when they are up late. An O passes when down late.

In short, a lot of things go into the numbers, but at the end of the day, elite passing Ds have lower passing yards than others. It's when you are comparing teams vs each other, that you really need to drill down on other more advanced stats.
IDK, I think I am more in NDMIA's camp. If a team has a strong rush defense that limits a team's only option to passing...that defense will most likely give up more YPG than a team who has a weak rushing defense who is never passed on. Number of pass attempts definitely is a factor when looking at the YPG. I like the stats he quoted and it shows are passing defense is pretty solid.
dad4aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




Copyright © 2004 - 2013 IrishEnvy.com. All Rights Reserved. All material on this Notre Dame Fighting Irish discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Notre Dame, the Big East Conference or the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting. SEO by vBSEO 3.7.4