Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #316
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Cash: 30,200.15
Bank: 2,949,475,707,211,766,784.00
Total Bankroll: 2,949,475,707,211,796,992.00
Donate
IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATTACA! View Post
Season 3 was fantastic. Might be better than season 1, idk I'll have to rewatch to decide. Definitely better than season 2.

SPOILERS!

We can all agree [redacted]

STRANGER THINGS SPOILERS

SPOILERS FOR STRANGER THINGS

LAST WARNING TO SKIM BY THE POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ACCIDENTALLY CATCH A GLIMPSE OF CONTENT.

Idk man. On one hand, that line about "the American" in the Russian cells during the post-credits was very clearly not a throwaway line.

On the other hand, it seemed like that voiceover during the last scene was pretty final. It seemed like a pretty direct message not just to El, but to the viewer as well, that he's not coming back. That line about "things change, and you wish you could go back in time to the way they were, but life doesn't work that way. You move forward." felt like a pretty heavy-handed way of them telling the viewer "He's gone, you're gonna need to get over it, this may be a fantasy but death is final."

BUT, it's so conflicting... I could see one of the first scenes of season 4 having El putting on a blindfold, and using the note to try and locate him, showing us that she has her powers back, but leaving us on the edge as to whether or not she found him.

OR, I could see the "you can't go back in time" line being a setup for El to not just get her powers back, but to figure out how to save him by yelling at him in the past via her sensory-deprivation travels.

Last edited by IrishLion; 07-10-2019 at 10:05 AM..
IrishLion is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #317
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Donate
IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!

If you've skipped my spoiler post, this post is a "Stranger Things 3 was fucking awesome" post.

So good. Much better than season 2, IMO, and maybe better than season 1. I'll have to see how the shine wears off over the next few weeks.

Gotta disagree with North Dakota... the Billy and Mrs. Wheeler story line amounted to a giant wet fart IMO. I don't think they needed to use screen time and setup from season 2, just to get him in his car on that particular night in the next season.

I liked the way the puberty storylines fit in perfectly with what was going on. Didn't feel heavy-handed or tacked on because reasons... these are actually kids learning how to be teenagers while simultaneously dealing with a potentially world-shattering situation. They pulled it off really well.

STEVE HARRINGTON IS STILL THE GOAT. I seriously cannot recall a more enjoyable arc of character development from any other show in terms of "redemption."

JIM HOPPER IS AN AMERICAN HERO. It was true in season 2, still true in season 3. I loved the way they developed his character and really rounded him out. Much, much better use of his dark/dry humor in this season. So good.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #318
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 100,066,889,658,731.70
Bank: 201,233,151,538,838,503,424.00
Total Bankroll: 201,233,251,605,728,165,888.00
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

Stranger Things spoilers.

Seriously spoilers.

The more I've thought about it since finishing season 3 the more I'm convinced Hopper is 100% alive.

1. The shot of him looking at the gate before he turns around and gives Joyce the nod. No reason to include this otherwise.

2. When Joyce does turn the key you can see looking out that Hopper isn't in the shot, he's not standing on the platform where he was.

3. There's like a 6 second cut to black after Joyce turns the key. Perfect spot to show later on that he jumped into the upside down during that gap.

4. NO BODY. That's the biggest one IMO. If they don't show you the body they aren't dead. No way a main character of Hoppers iportance is dying off screen.

5. Keep the door open 3 inches. Obvious.

6. David Harbor is growing a badass beard. Looks exactly like the crazy beard someone would grow being trapped in the upside down for months.

7. El losing her powers. The perfect excuse for her being unable to know he's not dead.

8. Heroes was playing when Will's fake body was found in season 1. What was playing during Hoppers death montage? Oh yeah Heroes.

I think the American is a fake out. Most people will assume that's going to be Hopper. That will turn out to be Brenner/Papa and will be revealed early on in season 4. Everyone will be sad assuming that means Hopper must really be dead, only for the reveal to come later on that he actually survived the whole time by jumping into the upside down before the machine exploded.

Last edited by GATTACA!; 07-10-2019 at 10:33 AM..
GATTACA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #319
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATTACA! View Post
Stranger Things spoilers.

Seriously spoilers.

The more I've thought about it since finishing season 3 the more I'm convinced Hopper is 100% alive.

1. The shot of him looking at the gate before he turns around and gives Joyce the nod. No reason to include this otherwise.

2. When Joyce does turn the key you can see looking out that Hopper isn't in the shot, he's not standing on the platform where he was.

3. There's like a 6 second cut to black after Joyce turns the key. Perfect spot to show later on that he jumped into the upside down during that gap.

4. NO BODY. That's the biggest one IMO. If they don't show you the body they aren't dead. No way a main character of Hoppers iportance is dying off screen.

5. Keep the door open 3 inches. Obvious.

6. David Harbor is growing a badass beard. Looks exactly like the crazy beard someone would grow being trapped in the upside down for months.

7. El losing her powers. The perfect excuse for her being unable to know he's not dead.

8. Heroes was playing when Will's fake body was found in season 1. What was playing during Hoppers death montage? Oh yeah Heroes.

I think the American is a fake out. Most people will assume that's going to be Hopper. That will turn out to be Brenner/Papa and will be revealed early on in season 4. Everyone will be sad assuming that means Hopper must really be dead, only for the reveal to come later on that he actually survived the whole time by jumping into the upside down before the machine exploded.

RESPONDING TO SPOILERS

I told my wife that my first guess was he got blown into (or jumped into) the Upside Down before it closed all the way. The post-credits made me drop that, but your explanation makes more sense with that line as a red herring or misdirection.

I'm just really struggling with how touching/emotional/final his voiceover felt. It felt like a legitimate goodbye.

The one question that's kind of bothering me, though, that I probably missed the explanation for:

In season 2, they closed the gate while the Mind Flayer was still in the real world, but it did not kill him. It was actually the reason he was able to survive and manifest himself once the gate re-opened.

In this season, why would closing the gate in the end suddenly mean he dies in a final fashion, when it didn't before?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #320
NorthDakota
I'm with Hillary 2020

Cash: 1,000,000,000,024,647.38
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,000,000,000,024,647.38
Donate
NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins Washington Wizards Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Notre Dame Liverpool Germany

Billy and mrs wheeler is not a wet fart. They built that up season 2 and after a summer of dancing around it Billy goes in for the kill.

Hopper ain't dead but he should be. Billy died too soon RIP
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #321
NDCrusader
Legend

Cash: 2,000,000,101,023,148,032.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 2,000,000,101,023,148,032.00
Donate
NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!

Are any of you guys Stranger Things aged? This takes place during my Sr year of HS and it nails the era so well, plus I'm a Hoosier.

I still have the Wander Indiana plate off our DeLorean = 88 MPH.

Here's a cool link that goes over some of the setting's background.

https://www.indystar.com/story/enter...er/1670646001/
NDCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #322
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
Billy and mrs wheeler is not a wet fart. They built that up season 2 and after a summer of dancing around it Billy goes in for the kill.

Hopper ain't dead but he should be. Billy died too soon RIP
He went in for the kill, but it was only a mechanism to get him in his car near the barn/factory/whatever. They didn't need an entire season of googly eyes to make that happen.

They could've dedicated that time in Season 2 to exploring more of Billy and Max's messed up relationship or something, which would have given his ending in Season 3 much more impact.

Also, I find it kind of funny that they basically stole the turning point in "Justice League" as a means of getting Billy's mind back. "I'm going to bring up your mom and everything will be okay just because of that."