Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
NDRock
Starter

Cash: 1,001,269,556.40
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,001,269,556.40
Donate
NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!

I feel like we are a few playmakers away from being able to play with anyone. We've got talent and depth along the lines and most positions. If we can continue with the trend of the '20 and '21 classes (grabbing 2/3 elite ranked guys) , this could be an exciting run the next few years. In Tyler We Trust.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
Sherm Sticky
The Prophet

Cash: 1,201,703,881.26
Bank: 166,002,949,054,506,816.00
Total Bankroll: 166,002,950,256,210,688.00
Donate
Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks San Francisco 49ers New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLax View Post
Early signing period approaches. Currently #12 in the country, more likely to move down than up. Seems incongruent with "top 10" classes ND signed in 2017 and 2018.

Two five star players (Johnson, Tyree). Seven four star players.

Of the four star players, I think you can easily make the case for some (like Jordan Bothelo) being underrated and some (like Drew Pyne) being overrated so it's a wash.

The 3-star players are what's crazy to me. Xavier Watts would be a 95+ rating guy if he played in California and not Nebraska. Jay Brunelle being an 86 rating is purely absurd. He should, at minimum, be a low 4-star at either DB or WR.

It seems like the main thing driving down the ratings is the size of the class -- 17 total commits. That's only about two-thirds full relative to the 25 cap. Georgia and Texas have higher ranked classes with similar numbers of commits. Everyone else in the top 10 is in the 20+ category.

Overall, what do you think? And are classes like this "good enough" to get Notre Dame over the hump?
Why is Pyne overrated? Because he is a 3 star on 247 and a 4 star top 200 on ESPN and Rivals? I mean didn't the kid finish top 7 at the elite 11 (I know that doesn't mean sh*t). I think Pyne could be a Baker Mayfield, but I don't kn ow if he ever sees the field with Tyler B coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishff1014 View Post
We also have to consider Pryor as transfer. I still think he bring value to the defense.
Absolutely. Other teams ge0t credit to their recruiting score for getting JUCO recruits right? And we know Pryor has talent and some experience and has 2 years at ND (Similiar to a JUCO transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDdomer2 View Post
I think we have seen over the years that sometimes those underrated/late adds can really boost the class and the program. Maybe not always as everyday contributors but as depth and special team players. 17 players is really small, who are those last 3 could make a bigger difference than we think.

Think someone like Ade Ogundeji - 3 652 nationally (i know he committed in summer before, just saying guys like this are out there still)
Yup. Prime examples are JOK (Wooooooo) and JGH.
Sherm Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Sherm Sticky
The Prophet

Cash: 1,201,703,881.26
Bank: 166,002,949,054,506,816.00
Total Bankroll: 166,002,950,256,210,688.00
Donate
Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!Sherm Sticky should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks San Francisco 49ers New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

I forgot to mention Landen Bartleson is the most underrated recruit in this class. I don't understand how he is a 3 star. But, I'm glad ND got him and not Meatchicken!
Sherm Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
T Town Tommy
Alabama Bag Man

Cash: 31,440.16
Bank: 1,319,186,274,604.96
Total Bankroll: 1,319,186,306,045.12
Donate
T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!T Town Tommy should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds New Orleans Saints Alabama

Quote:

Overall, what do you think? And are classes like this "good enough" to get Notre Dame over the hump?
Not one class. But it seems to be a good building block if the Irish can string together 2-3 classes in a row. I don't buy in to the player rankings as much as I do if they fit the system you have. String together 2-3 classes like that and hit on a few players that develop more than their rankings were and you got something going. Miss on a class or position group and it can go south pretty quickly. Build the depth that creates high level competition on the practice field and in the weight room and then coach them up. Oh... and a good, not great QB, helps especially if you can surround them with some game changers.

https://247sports.com/college/alabam...ail-136154624/

Saw this article about Saban and recruiting and thought it was interesting, especially when he talks about recruiting players to fit his system. That's why I think a school like Wisconsin has success to a certain degree. They have an identity, play a certain system, and go after the players that fit it. I don't think Wisconsin has near the high ceiling as Notre Dame, but their ability to stay true to their system keeps them relevant.

Last edited by T Town Tommy; 12-03-2019 at 02:46 PM..
T Town Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #19
Mihalko35
Walk-On

Cash: 428.64
Bank: 11,246.07
Total Bankroll: 11,674.71
Donate
Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!Mihalko35 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:

Frankly, no. You need four top-5 classes to have a good probability of winning the nat'l championship. Even then, luck will play a part. That's what Holtz had during his years and he only won one.
Mihalko35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #20
tom prendergast
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 4,474.86
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 4,474.86
Donate
tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!tom prendergast should be giving advice to Kelly!

Any idea who we add besides Henderson?
tom prendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #21
Armyirish47
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 1,173,250.09
Bank: 1,410,971,220,626.64
Total Bankroll: 1,410,972,393,876.73
Donate
Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!Armyirish47 should be giving advice to Kelly!
St Louis Cardinals Los Angeles Lakers San Francisco 49ers Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihalko35 View Post
Frankly, no. You need four top-5 classes to have a good probability of winning the nat'l championship. Even then, luck will play a part. That's what Holtz had during his years and he only won one.
Fit matters more than rankings...up to a point.

For example - Clemson!

2009: No. 36 nationally, (13 enrollees)
2010: No. 27 nationally, (20 enrollees)
2011: No. 10 nationally, (28 enrollees)
2012: No. 20 nationally, (15 enrollees)
2013: No. 15 nationally, (22 enrollees)
2014: No. 16 nationally, (19 enrollees)
2015: No. 9 nationally, (24 enrollees)
2016: No. 11 nationally (21 enrollees)
2017: No. 16 nationally (14 enrollees)
2018: No. 7 nationally (17 enrollees)
Armyirish47 is offline   Reply With Quote