Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #624
Woneone
Sophomore

Cash: 47,665.51
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 47,665.51
Donate
Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU Irish View Post
Would that qualify as "any area of his play"? Or is "elite" less than "great"? B/c it sounds to me like you disagree with Woneone's claim that Rex is not "great" at anything - which I find laughably false.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why he's elite defensively. As I've said time and time again, I'm open to debate and discussion on these things, and I'm open to someone showing me why I'm wrong.

I can come up with game after game, and since I've been bored at work, a multitude of examples of games where Rex played very good defense. As I said, he's a very good positional defensive player. But I can also show plays where "great" defensive players, in my mind, actually make defensive plays. Just being in position doesn't make you great. Taylor Person's probably agrees with me.

But great? Being the best defensive player on an average defensive team doesn't make you great.

Last edited by Woneone; 03-14-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Woneone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #625
FightingIrishLover7
All troll, no substance

Cash: 100,389,006.59
Total Bankroll: 100,389,006.59
Donate
FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyIrish View Post
The AAU example isn’t awful because you play so much basketball in a short amount of time. They’re used to playing for long stretches of time. They’ve done it all through high school and plenty of freshman don’t have trouble transitioning.

I already praised Prentiss in a previous post. I thought his play was about what you could expect from this year considering the circumstances. My issues are more with Laz and Goodwin. I thought they could have played more consistently and I don’t think strength and conditioning was the issue especially since the BC game they were only playing 15-20 minutes off the bench. They only started playing heavy minutes after Nick and DJ went down. They started to play consistently at the end of the season and I look forward to their development for next year.
You're right, strength isn't an issue for a guy like Nate... Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
FightingIrishLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #626
Crazy Balki
Site Assigned Optimist

Cash: 226,819.32
Total Bankroll: 226,819.32
Donate
Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyIrish View Post
Rex is the reason we've won a ton of games during his time at ND, including the victory over Purdue this year. Look at our record after he went down, it's not a coincidence that it's pretty awful. We needed Rex on this floor to be decent, and we will certainly need him on the floor next year to make a run.

I'm not sure why the freshman get a pass because they aren't properly conditioned or have been in a college S&C. They've all played basketball there entire life including the AAU level playing multiple games on the same day. The freshman at Duke, Kentucky, etc. don't seem to have that problem. Outside of Hubb they should have been better. That's not to say they won't be next year, I think they will, but there play was disappointing and inconsistent this year especially on the offensive side of the ball.
Just because guys have played hoops their whole life doesn't mean they'll hit the ground running, because ACC basketball is a MASSIVE jump in competition.

Also, for guys like Hubb and Harvey, they have not been properly conditioned because they spent most of the offseason rehabbing their injuries. Also Laszewski was going to need to either play more outside the paint. He needs to put on a ton of weight, which was the case even in AAU. He just didn't get pushed around by inferior competition in AAU like he is now.

As for the freshman at Duke and Kentucky, those guys are McDonald's All American level players who are all pretty much locked into NBA roster spots. ND's freshmen were highly rated, but not that highly rated. They're also expected to be 4-year players unlike most of UK and Duke's guys who are 1 or 2 year guys and done. Those guys are generally ready for the college game from the jump. Hell, some of them are ready for the NBA but are forced to play college ball.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #627
anarin
They call me Chuck.

Cash: 2,498.38
Bank: 2,696,481,832,512,192,512.00
Total Bankroll: 2,696,481,832,512,195,072.00
Donate
anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!anarin should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Atlanta Hawks Chicago Bears

I thought it was interesting to see that Prentiss Hubb was 9th in freshman minutes in the country and 6th overall in the ACC. TJ Gibbs just missed the top 50 overall in minutes played, but was 2nd in the ACC.

For Hubb thats impressive given the time off from the game.
anarin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #628
Woneone
Sophomore

Cash: 47,665.51
Total Bankroll: 47,665.51
Donate
Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Balki View Post
As for the freshman at Duke and Kentucky, those guys are McDonald's All American level players who are all pretty much locked into NBA roster spots. ND's freshmen were highly rated, but not that highly rated. They're also expected to be 4-year players unlike most of UK and Duke's guys who are 1 or 2 year guys and done. Those guys are generally ready for the college game from the jump. Hell, some of them are ready for the NBA but are forced to play college ball.
We always use Duke and Kentucky in these comparisons. What about a team like West Virginia? Very similar situation to what we were in. Players injured or kicked off the team (I think they lost probably their 3 best players during the season due to suspension). Their starting 5 all played 30+ minutes last night against TT.

Do you think they'd trade Jordan McCabe or Derek Culver or Emmitt Matthews Jr for any of our guys? I'm pretty sure both McCabe and Matthews were ranked lower than any of our recruits.

Yet somehow, they were physically ready. They play 25+ minutes a game (after suspensions). They will more than likely be there for 4 years. And the WVU coaches have them ready to play late in the season (the Culver kid is turning into a force, and both McCabe and Matthews have performed better than any of our freshman down the stretch, with Matthews at least being debatable).

Last edited by Woneone; 03-15-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Woneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #629
irishrb
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 3,950.34
Total Bankroll: 3,950.34
Donate
irishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond repute

My thougths on the season...

Mooney-Major Props....I never expected him to be that good. Great improvement and looking forward to see how much he progresses next year.

Hubbs-The kid has skills and will be a player...expect to see significant improvement next year..work on that shot

Gibbs-Disappointed....okay....not great...really needs to get in the zone next year...I expect some growth next year...

Harvey-Majorly disappointed....Let's hope a year of off-season training works to his favor because he can do better...

Durham....I don't think Brey played him enough. I know his footwork needs work, but he can do things no other player on ND can do. He needs to hit the weights, and should be a major player

Djogo...not a fan

Goodwin...in over his head....should improve and provide better minutes off the bench

Nate...Showed what he is capable of on the latter end of the season. Gain some confidence, and don't be afraid to pump and drive

Rex...Can't underestimate his leadership...so unfortunate when he went down because he was coming into his own....distributing well, and defending well....he was obviously missed

Brey...He has shown he can develop players....especially the big boys....Let's give him a chance to do that....
He has also shown that he likes to "let his players play." This is where I believe he had the most trouble. This young team just couldn't go out and play...I think they needed more direction...needed to be told more of what to do....
irishrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #630
RDU Irish
Catholics vs. Cousins

Cash: 1,832,400,363,152.62
Bank: 2,330,640,442,858.39
Total Bankroll: 4,163,040,806,011.01
Donate
RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woneone View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why he's elite defensively. As I've said time and time again, I'm open to debate and discussion on these things, and I'm open to someone showing me why I'm wrong.

I can come up with game after game, and since I've been bored at work, a multitude of examples of games where Rex played very good defense. As I said, he's a very good positional defensive player. But I can also show plays where "great" defensive players, in my mind, actually make defensive plays. Just being in position doesn't make you great. Taylor Person's probably agrees with me.

But great? Being the best defensive player on an average defensive team doesn't make you great.
I know for 3+ years Rex would get stuck on the hot hand and shut it down - in the best college basketball conference in the country. I am not a basketball statistician so maybe someone else can track down the data. How many times has this played out - guy lights us up for 15 points in the first half, Rex reassigned and sticks to him like glue - doesn't score much rest of the game, hardly touches the ball.

AND your original claim was ANY part of his game being great/elite. You seem to be quickly hedging that statement for some reason.....
RDU Irish is offline   Reply With Quote