Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge > Political Threads
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #190
NDohio
Starter

Cash: 79,101,187.87
Bank: 118,946,233,502,605,264.00
Total Bankroll: 118,946,233,581,706,464.00
Donate
NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Denver  Broncos Tottenham Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulukinatme View Post
Well, I'll say this hit me pretty good. I grew up in a rural part of northern Ohio. I lived more in the suburbs, but there was a lot of farm boys too. You would see Confederate Flags often, and it was seen as a kind of redneck/southern pride thing. I'd be lying if I said the town wasn't almost exclusively white, but some of the African American kids did play football with us and we all got along, there was no tension between the farm boys and them. This was mid 90s, so obviously prior to the more recent developments. In any case, I heard similar statements from friends that moved to North Carolina. They would see Confederate Flags lined on the side of the road and they understood it to be more of a tradition or pride thing. They only lived there a few years though before moving back.

I've never lived in the south though, I've only had the interpretation of others to go on. I believe what you say as you've lived it probably as close as any "yank" can. Sorry to hear about the trouble you went through just trying to help that poor girl out. Thanks for opening my eyes to another perspective. While I'm sure for some people it was a symbol of southern pride, it should be considered that people's motivations may not all be pure.

Just for reference, I couldn't find the original article that discussed the support of the flag in the south as an image of pride, but I did find another article that referenced the same poll I believe:

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/publ...-and-civil-war

If those poll numbers are true then it does further encapsulate the divide between whites and blacks on the status of the flag as I previously mentioned, but it's possible the poll is all a sham if white people in the south are voting positively to hide their bigotry. In any case, thanks again for providing another perspective and giving me first hand experience, you've changed my perception.

Thanks. It has been a treasure to have her as part of our life. That completely outweighs the negativity that it caused - plus we moved out of that place. She will be going into her junior year in college this fall working towards a nursing degree. Super proud of her.
NDohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!