Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
gkIrish
Community Mod/Greek God

Cash: 45,286.94
Bank: 226,252,439,115,147,104.00
Total Bankroll: 226,252,439,115,192,416.00
Donate
gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants New York Rangers Manchester United USA

All Things Star Wars Thread (Spoilers)

Enter this thread at your own risk. All spoilers permitted without the need for a warning.

Please use this thread to discuss reactions to the movie and anything that could be considered a spoiler.
gkIrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 70,060,200,693,403.34
Bank: 245,302,088,843,803,525,120.00
Total Bankroll: 245,302,158,904,004,214,784.00
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

(SPOILERS) Star Wars Episode VII (SPOILERS)

IT'S SO DAMN GOOD.

I had tempered my expectations and it absolutely blew me away. I don't even know what to say right now i'm so emotionally drained.

Han's death was so perfect. The way the sun turns dark as his son turns to the dark side. While it was crushing, it was also a perfect death for the character.

BB-8 was handled perfectly. He was exactly what George was shooting for with Jar Jar. The humor he brought to multiple scenes cut the tension in such a great way. His thumbs up to Finn had me belly laughing.

Finn was a great new addition. You can tell Boyega was so excited to be in SW he brought such great emotion and energy to the character.

Rey! Wow! Totally stole the show! Daisey Ridley is that character in the same way Mark Hamill is Luke. There is something so satisfying about a total newcomer being cast as the lead. I 100% buy her as the character of Rey. And wow is she hot af.

Kylo Ren is a badass. He's set up to be a super intimidating villain in the movies to come. Adam Driver killed it, especially in the one on one scenes with Rey and Han.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE AGAIN!

Last edited by GATTACA!; 12-18-2015 at 05:34 AM..
GATTACA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
BeauBenken
Shut up, Richard

Cash: 500,000,000,131,889,664.00
Bank: 4,444,213,046,141,630,976.00
Total Bankroll: 4,944,213,046,273,521,664.00
Donate
BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!BeauBenken should be giving advice to Kelly!
Ball State

Needed less "haha" and more brooding nature.

Even if you're going to make a joke, don't set it up like you're going to stare into the camera like on The Office. They often killed what should have been a VERY serious mood.

Also, how many freaking closes ups of Boyega's face are we gonna get?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #4
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 70,060,200,693,403.34
Bank: 245,302,088,843,803,525,120.00
Total Bankroll: 245,302,158,904,004,214,784.00
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBenken View Post
Needed less "haha" and more brooding nature.

Even if you're going to make a joke, don't set it up like you're going to stare into the camera like on The Office. They often killed what should have been a VERY serious mood.
As someone who often hates on Marvel movies for being too funny (or attempting to be at least) I had no problem with the laughs in this movie. Maybe i'm forgetting some already but I can't really think of any stare at the camera type lines that you're referring to.

Also I think some of the lightheartedness is due to this being the first film in the new trilogy. As the story progresses and becomes more dark i'm sure we will lose some of the humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBenken View Post
Also, how many freaking closes ups of Boyega's face are we gonna get?
Gotta say this is a unique criticism lol. I didn't notice an over abundance of close ups on Finn, but we can replace as many as you want with close ups of Rey

Last edited by GATTACA!; 12-18-2015 at 05:34 AM..
GATTACA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
Buster Bluth

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

I loved it but at the same time I totally agree with the general criticism that this was just A New Hope 2.0. I'm okay with that, because that's what the franchise needed, it will allow VIII and IX to reach for Empire levels of greatness.

But the similarities with A New Hope will hold it back as time goes on. I mean think about it, the movie opens with Empire 2.0 looking for R2 2.0, who is running around on desert planet 2.0 with special plans 2.0 where he runs into force-able orphaned main character 2.0 and they leave on the Millennium Falcon again in search of the Rebels 2.0 only to take a tractor-beam detour but ultimately connect with the rebels and learn of a revolutionary planet(s)-destroying weapon 2.0 and they go take it out moments before it blasts them away. Oh and throw in a main character dying in a pretty similar fashion to Alec Guinness.

That sounds like a lot of criticism from my end, but I really did love the movie. Kylo Ren is borderline genius. The visuals were spectacular. It felt so damn real. Most importantly it sets up Luke and the next movie wonderfully.

Oh and r/starwars is going nuts saying Rey is the daughter of Luke or Leia or some shit...that would be awful. The prequels did so much damage by making the universe too small, I thought Abrams and Co. handled it perfectly by just saying she was abandoned on the planet and let her parents just be a mystery. God I hope they don't ruin that.

I know that Harrison Ford suggested to Lucas that they killed him off back in ROTJ, so as soon as he saw Kylo in that buildinh I knew he was dead and figured "that's why they introduced him last and gave him the biggest spotlight at all of the promos, it's his last Star Wars.." I was moved by the scene. Very well done.

Lastly fuck George Lucas and his shit prequels. I'm so glad they ignored them. Lightsaber encounters went back to being passionate broadsword battles, none of that jumping 90 feet triple reverse back flip gymnastics crap that frankly took a shit on well-built characters like Yoda but really all jedi/sith.

Last edited by Buster Bluth; 12-18-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
DomerInHappyValley
dislikes state penn

Cash: 23,897.25
Bank: 49,549,649,879,233,816.00
Total Bankroll: 49,549,649,879,257,704.00
Donate
DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!DomerInHappyValley should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics Pittsburgh Steelers Boston Bruins Notre Dame Manchester United

I mean obviously it's Star Wars and no matter what I'm going to a theater to see it. Even if someone posted a boot leg link.
But really guys couldn't give people 24 hours.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
Johannes
A Peppermint Nightmare

Cash: 204,121,918,765,087.47
Bank: 0.02
Total Bankroll: 204,121,918,765,087.53
Donate
Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!Johannes should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerInHappyValley View Post
I mean obviously it's Star Wars and no matter what I'm going to a theater to see it. Even if someone posted a boot leg link.
But really guys couldn't give people 24 hours.
This thread is just a place to discuss it without ruining it for those who have yet to see it. A few preliminary comments:

First what I didn't really care for: the Maz Kanata cantina sequence and the face-off between Han's "criminal partners." The Maz character would have been better without being CGI, and the whole sequence felt forced (har har). It would have been better without portraying her as some ocular phrenologist / seer. The showdown in Han's freighter was the low point in the film, IMO. Its only purpose was to establish a reason for the group to abandon the big freighter and escape on the Falcon. It was the only part of the film that was eye rolling for me, and yet the introduction of Han and Chewie helped pull it off.

And that says something, because that's it. Those two parts of the movie are all I really had a beef with, and they didn't tarnish the film as a whole. That freighter sequence would have been one of the better points in the prequels. Instead, it was a brief bit of campiness that is quickly forgotten. The rest of the movie was gripping. Yeah, there was the occasional comic relief, but it was tastefully done and helped relieve the tension from the constant action. The reintroduction of practical effects into the saga makes such a difference visually. I am excited to see it again on Saturday in IMAX.

Final comment: Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is everything that Hayden Christensen's Anakin could have been and should have been. That makes me sad. I hope someone remakes the prequel movies someday with real dialog, real acting, and... well, a real plot, I guess.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote