Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge > Political Threads
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #19195
Legacy
Team MVP

Cash: 4,979,951.87
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 4,979,951.87
Donate
Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!Legacy should be giving advice to Kelly!

In your examples of judges being "regularly overturned", you noted:
- Trump's travel ban for Muslim countries which was affirmed after being rejected by the courts twice, of which we are aware
- the Return to Mexico injunction overturned by the "nutty" 9th Appellate, which I noted in the Immigration (?) thread
- the overturning two Appellants on detainees convicted of non-violent crimes years previous to their arrest by ICE and whether they can get a bond hearing, and
- the arrest of a judge in Mass on accusations that she assisted an illegal to escape ICE who were waiting in her courtroom.

I think three of the four were what I would have thought we discussed. I'm not going to address the judge's arrest. Has there even been a decision?
- Trump lost twice and won once on his third try on the Muslim ban.
- The Ninth Appellate overturned an injunction by a lower court
- Many detention decisions and rights of those with removal orders having been going on for years and many of those questions began and were decided by SCOTUS on Obama Admin actions. Illegals have few rights under our laws and can even been deported while they awaiting appeals before an immigration court.

As far as the latter, I was reminded of the Granger restaurant owner, Roberto Beristain, who was picked up at his regular meeting with ICE. He had been allowed by them to get a Social Security card, a work permit and a driver’s license and had previous agreement with DHS, Beristain had an “order of supervision,” which allows immigrants with a removal order to remain in the country for a humanitarian reason as long as he stayed out of legal trouble.

Updates: Deported Eddie's Steak Shed owner could come back in several years (WNDU) and
His American Dream died. His town got over it. in terms of update only (Wash Post)

ICE can pick up someone here illegally, move them around to seven different detention facilities like Beristain was and deport them while an appeal is pending. Illegals have few rights including now a bond hearing for a selected few. I'm just not sure how this is an example of a Trump policy working its way through the courts to be overturned by a higher court.

I was thinking of the travel ban upheld twice, the family separation policy overturned, DACA and the attempt to get around the Flores Agreement on the obligations concerning unaccompanied minors.
Appeals court rules Trump end of DACA was unlawful (The Hill)

There may be others and any are still working their way through the judicial system still to be finally decides one way or another. One is whether Trump can repurpose Defense appropriations for building his wall. So many national emergencies.
Court hears 2 cases against Trump’s plan for border wall (AP)

Last edited by Legacy; 05-19-2019 at 04:20 AM..
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #19196
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 455.09
Bank: 471,826,578,863,359,616.00
Total Bankroll: 471,826,578,863,360,000.00
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

So much for accountability. "I had 12 cups of coffee."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._reporter.html

Fran Lebowitz: We Should Turn Trump Over To "The Same Saudis Who Got Rid Of That Reporter"
Posted By Ian Schwartz
On Date May 17, 2019

VIDEO AT THE LINK

Quote:
'Vanity Fair' contributor Fran Lebowitz suggested handing over President Trump to Saudi Arabia, "the same Saudis who got rid of that reporter." Lebowitz was referring to 'Washington Post' journalist Jamal Khashoggi who was allegedly murdered and dismembered by security forces close to members of the Saudi Royal family.

Lebowitz made the comment while expressing her displeasure of the "Republican" Mueller report on Friday's edition of HBO's 'Real Time' with host Bill Maher. Her comment garnered some applause in the studio audience.

"I didn't have the highest hopes for the Mueller report only because I remembered Robert Mueller was [a] Republican and he was ahead of the FBI. So I didn't, like, think he was the second coming of Thurgood Marshall as many people seem to imagine," Lebowitz lamented.

"The most youthful thing about me is that I've retained an ability to be shocked by these people. So I was shocked by Barr. I was shocked. It's shocking. It's shocking. It's a criminal thing that he did," Lebowitz griped.

"Where are you on impeachment? Yes? No?" host Bill Maher asked.

"I change my mind from day to day," she said. "Impeachment would be just the beginning of what he deserves. Not even scratching the surface of what he deserves."
"Whenever I think about this and what he really deserves I think we should turn him over to the Saudis," Lebowitz said of Trump. "You know, his buddies. The same Saudis who got rid of that reporter. You know, Maybe they could do the same for him," Lebowitz said.

Following the broadcast on the online-only 'Overtime' portion that airs on YouTube, Lebowitz said she regretted her comments and apologized.

"I didn't realize that I had said it. I had 12 cups of coffee. I regret saying it... I did not mean that and I regret saying it. I regret that everyone misinterpreted it," Lebowitz apologized.
BGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #19197
connor_in
Oh Yeeaah!!!

Cash: 19,791.79
Bank: 3,604,757,473,470,177.50
Total Bankroll: 3,604,757,473,489,969.50
Donate
connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!connor_in should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGIF View Post
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._reporter.html

Fran Lebowitz: We Should Turn Trump Over To "The Same Saudis Who Got Rid Of That Reporter"
Posted By Ian Schwartz
On Date May 17, 2019

VIDEO AT THE LINK
"I regret that EVERYONE MISINTERPRETED IT" Yeah I'd say that comes across as a deeply sincere and heartfelt apology.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #19198
Bishop2b5
SEC Exchange Student

Cash: 5,299,837,821.11
Total Bankroll: 5,299,837,821.11
Donate
Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!Bishop2b5 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor_in View Post
"I regret that EVERYONE MISINTERPRETED IT" Yeah I'd say that comes across as a deeply sincere and heartfelt apology.
That's the part that made me laugh. Nobody misinterpreted it, princess. Just say you regret saying it, that it was unprofessional to have done so, and leave it at that.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #19199
NorthDakota
I'm with Hillary 2020

Cash: 1,000,000,000,018,170.50
Total Bankroll: 1,000,000,000,018,170.50
Donate
NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins Washington Wizards Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Notre Dame Liverpool Germany

I really enjoy how Donald has driven this apparent civilized class of intellectuals and political insiders into exposing they are worse than 95% of regular people.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:57 AM   #19200
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 455.09
Bank: 471,826,578,863,359,616.00
Total Bankroll: 471,826,578,863,360,000.00
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/18/polit...uct/index.html

GOP Rep. Amash becomes first Republican to call for Trump's impeachment

By Eli Watkins and Kevin Bohn, CNN

Updated 7:55 PM ET, Sat May 18, 2019

Quote:
Washington (CNN)Michigan GOP Rep. Justin Amash said Saturday he had concluded President Donald Trump committed "impeachable conduct" and accused Attorney General William Barr of intentionally misleading the public.

Amash's comments recommending Congress pursue obstruction of justice charges against Trump were the first instance of a sitting Republican in Congress calling for Trump's impeachment.

Amash is a rare GOP critic of Trump and previously said Trump's conduct in pressuring then-FBI Director James Comey could merit impeachment. In a Twitter thread on Saturday, Amash said he believed "few members of Congress even read" special counsel Robert Mueller's report and that the report itself established "multiple examples" of Trump committing obstruction of justice.

"Contrary to Barr's portrayal, Mueller's report reveals that President Trump engaged in specific actions and a pattern of behavior that meet the threshold for impeachment," Amash said in a string of messages on Twitter.
Justin Amash

@justinamash
Here are my principal conclusions:
1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.
2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.
3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.
4. Few members of Congress have read the report.
While many Democrats have called for impeachment proceedings against Trump, many members of the GOP have agreed with Trump's assertions about the Mueller report and defended his conduct. For his part, Barr said the report established no conspiracy between Trump and Russia and that he and then-Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein did not believe its findings sufficient to charge Trump with obstruction of justice.

Amash's comments on Saturday with regard to impeachment went further than even many members of House Democratic leadership. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said last Thursday that "every day gives grounds for impeachment," while at the same time arguing that she doesn't want to impeach, though she did not rule out the possibility.

Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib, also of Michigan, responded to Amash's Twitter thread later Saturday and invited him to join her impeachment resolution.
".@justinamash come find me in 1628 Longworth. I've got an impeachment investigation resolution you're going to want to cosponsor," Tlaib tweeted.

Amash -- a libertarian conservative elected during the Tea Party wave of 2010 -- was a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus, a key bloc of Republicans who worked to shift the GOP caucus to the right on many issues, but in the Trump era, he has found himself breaking with his conservative allies who have embraced the President.

Amash said on Saturday that he made his conclusions "only after having read Mueller's redacted report carefully and completely, having read or watched pertinent statements and testimony, and having discussed this matter with my staff, who thoroughly reviewed materials and provided me with further analysis."

He said Barr misled the public in a range of venues regarding the Mueller report, a charge Democrats and others have made repeatedly that the attorney general has disputed.

"Barr's misrepresentations are significant but often subtle, frequently taking the form of sleight-of-hand qualifications or logical fallacies, which he hopes people will not notice," Amash said.
Justin Amash

@justinamash

In comparing Barr’s principal conclusions, congressional testimony, and other statements to Mueller’s report, it is clear that Barr intended to mislead the public about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s analysis and findings.
Justin Amash

@justinamash
Barr’s misrepresentations are significant but often subtle, frequently taking the form of sleight-of-hand qualifications or logical fallacies, which he hopes people will not notice.

2:30 PM - May 18, 2019

Amash said "contrary to Barr's portrayal," Trump's actions "meet the threshold for impeachment" and that anyone without the unique legal protections of the presidency would be facing an indictment.

He argued that it was Congress' role to move forward with impeachment and accused people on both sides of the aisle of political motives, saying they had shifted "their views 180 degrees ... depending on whether they're discussing (former President) Bill Clinton or Donald Trump."

"Our system of checks and balances relies on each branch's jealously guarding its powers and upholding its duties under our Constitution," Amash tweeted. "When loyalty to a political party or to an individual trumps loyalty to the Constitution, the Rule of Law -- the foundation of liberty -- crumbles."
BGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #19201
PraetorianND
Varsity Club Member

Cash: 1,546.78
Total Bankroll: 1,546.78
Donate
PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!PraetorianND should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
In your examples of judges being "regularly overturned", you noted:
- Trump's travel ban for Muslim countries which was affirmed after being rejected by the courts twice, of which we are aware
- the Return to Mexico injunction overturned by the "nutty" 9th Appellate, which I noted in the Immigration (?) thread
- the overturning two Appellants on detainees convicted of non-violent crimes years previous to their arrest by ICE and whether they can get a bond hearing, and
- the arrest of a judge in Mass on accusations that she assisted an illegal to escape ICE who were waiting in her courtroom.

I think three of the four were what I would have thought we discussed. I'm not going to address the judge's arrest. Has there even been a decision?
- Trump lost twice and won once on his third try on the Muslim ban.
- The Ninth Appellate overturned an injunction by a lower court
- Many detention decisions and rights of those with removal orders having been going on for years and many of those questions began and were decided by SCOTUS on Obama Admin actions. Illegals have few rights under our laws and can even been deported while they awaiting appeals before an immigration court.

As far as the latter, I was reminded of the Granger restaurant owner, Roberto Beristain, who was picked up at his regular meeting with ICE. He had been allowed by them to get a Social Security card, a work permit and a driver’s license and had previous agreement with DHS, Beristain had an “order of supervision,” which allows immigrants with a removal order to remain in the country for a humanitarian reason as long as he stayed out of legal trouble.

Updates: Deported Eddie's Steak Shed owner could come back in several years (WNDU) and
His American Dream died. His town got over it. in terms of update only (Wash Post)

ICE can pick up someone here illegally, move them around to seven different detention facilities like Beristain was and deport them while an appeal is pending. Illegals have few rights including now a bond hearing for a selected few. I'm just not sure how this is an example of a Trump policy working its way through the courts to be overturned by a higher court.

I was thinking of the travel ban upheld twice, the family separation policy overturned, DACA and the attempt to get around the Flores Agreement on the obligations concerning unaccompanied minors.
Appeals court rules Trump end of DACA was unlawful (The Hill)

There may be others and any are still working their way through the judicial system still to be finally decides one way or another. One is whether Trump can repurpose Defense appropriations for building his wall. So many national emergencies.
Court hears 2 cases against Trump’s plan for border wall (AP)
So, if we exclude all of the super relevant examples that I posted, then yes you're right about everything

The point is that Obama, Trump, et al have faced partisan obstruction. They took executive action because the legislature wasn't able to do their jobs. Whether or not you agree with the executive action on a moral basis or on a constitutional authority basis seems to be a matter of bias in my mind.

The reality is that politics is disgusting and it feels like none of these people actually have our best interests in mind. They seem to just want to get reelected and find ways to make absurd amounts of money while on a relatively small government salary. Term limits please.
PraetorianND is offline   Reply With Quote