Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   2010 Recruiting Profiles (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   '10 FL DT Louis Nix (Notre Dame Man) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44388)

FightingIrishLover7 05-09-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizards8507 (Post 1273780)
I'm no expert on "making it big" out of a tough neighborhood but my hunch is that 1) his Jacksonville leeches will find him either way, and 2) new leeches will spring up in whatever city he lands. I think "propensity to be leeched" is driven more by the character of the individual than geographic proximity to the city where one grew up. I think he'll be just fine.

Leeching would be much worse in Jacksonville.
I don't feel the need to elaborate, I think the reasons are obvious.

Southside Sully 05-09-2014 12:15 PM

Hoping he is there at 51 for the Bears. Bears take him or Will Sutton with that pick.

Domina Nostra 05-09-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightingIrishLover7 (Post 1273783)
Leeching would be much worse in Jacksonville.
I don't feel the need to elaborate, I think the reasons are obvious.

That is an interesting point... didn't think of that.

wizards8507 05-09-2014 12:34 PM

Anyone else notice that when you Google "Louis Nix," the featured photo is this one?

https://s.yimg.com/lq/i/us/sp/v/nfl/...80319/6780.jpg

Bogtrotter07 05-09-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizards8507 (Post 1273820)
Anyone else notice that when you Google "Louis Nix," the featured photo is this one?

https://s.yimg.com/lq/i/us/sp/v/nfl/...80319/6780.jpg

Is that his brother Louis that was murdered? (

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizards8507 (Post 1273780)
I'm no expert on "making it big" out of a tough neighborhood but my hunch is that 1) his Jacksonville leeches will find him either way, and 2) new leeches will spring up in whatever city he lands. I think "propensity to be leeched" is driven more by the character of the individual than geographic proximity to the city where one grew up. I think he'll be just fine.

Well, with a little better understanding how it goes in the neighborhood, many people don't travel more than a few miles. I had a friend that taught in South Central, and Compton, and had students that never saw the sea. I also have known people that have taught in Harlem and the Bronx that have never seen the New York landmarks. Statue of Liberty, Empire ST Bldg, Times Square, etc. Times square is what 70 blocks from the beginning of Harlem? There is not a lot of mobility, due to abject poverty or other commitments. Looking at the poor in NOLA, in '05, I am thinking poverty is the big one. Most commitments were canceled with the hurricane. The only people that stayed for that one were the ones who had no choice; e.g., 8th ward.

Some owners are better than others at 'edumacating 'their players.

ResLife Hero 05-09-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogtrotter07 (Post 1273848)
Is that his brother Louis that was murdered?

Pretty sure that's Wilfork.

PANDFAN 05-09-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ResLife Hero (Post 1273850)
Pretty sure that's Wilfork.

yes

Bogtrotter07 05-09-2014 01:50 PM

It is. Found a picture of our Louis' brother. Was not Vince sized.

Must be a lot of "draft comparisons" between Louis and Vince.

Kingbish01 05-09-2014 09:39 PM

What's going on here? I'm shocked he's still on the board. Anyone have any insight?

#1rish 05-09-2014 09:43 PM

Maybe his knee was worse than we knew?

ResLife Hero 05-09-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingbish01 (Post 1274062)
What's going on here? I'm shocked he's still on the board. Anyone have any insight?

Niche position, injury history, weight control issues in the past, limited productivity last year... The guy is a legit 1st round talent, but he and Tuitt didn't show it last year.

GBdomer 05-09-2014 10:10 PM

Knee
Effort
Twitter
Fit
Love for the game.
Not a great/good junior year

All questions

stlnd01 05-09-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ResLife Hero (Post 1274067)
Niche position, injury history, weight control issues in the past, limited productivity last year... The guy is a legit 1st round talent, but he and Tuitt didn't show it last year.

Agreed on Tuitt. But when Nix played, he played well. I get the injury concerns, but that's true for almost any man that size, which gets back to the niche position thing. Nix is only going to play nose, and how many teams really need one?
Surprised though, at a couple of the interior DLs who got picked ahead of him, especially Timmy Jernigan. Dude spent most of the fourth quarter of the title game kneeling on the sidelines catching his breath. You couldn't pry Big Lou out of a game like that. And Nix never flunked a drug test.
He'll be a steal in the third for someone.

koonja 05-09-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274077)
Knee
Effort
Twitter
Fit
Love for the game.

All questions

I actually thought he was the only noticeable defender besides Teo giving 100% all of the way through the 4th quarter against Bama.

The twitter thing is just stupid. Not saying you are for pointing it out, but that it was ever brought up.

stlnd01 05-09-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274077)
Knee
Effort
Twitter
Fit
Love for the game.

All questions

NFL front office types really hate it when players have a brain, don't they. And effort's BS. Nix played as hard as anyone.
Think you mean senior year?

GBdomer 05-09-2014 10:20 PM

I really don't think Louis Nix played as hard as anyone on the team. There is a reason a DT are flying off the board and Nix is chilling. I don't know about you but I would hve even taken Schewnke last year over Nix.

koonja 05-09-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274088)
I really don't think Louis Nix played as hard as anyone on the team. There is a reason a DT are flying off the board and Nix is chilling. I don't know about you but I would hve even taken Schewnke last year over Nix.

http://media.giphy.com/media/xs6FqhzEdWMZW/giphy.gif

GBdomer 05-09-2014 10:25 PM

Just like Zaire and Golson are in a QB battle.

koonja 05-09-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274094)
Just like Zaire and Golson are in a QB battle.

Who said that?

You need to stop trolling me, and I speak for everyone on this. You want there to be a problem between us because it's apparently fun, but I have no problem with you. I give you credit when you post well (did you miss that rep last week?) and let you know when you're not. It just so happens you haven't been lately IMO.

Stop searching for haters. I don't have time to draw lines in the sand and pick fights.

And I never came close to saying we had a QB batte. All I said was that Malik outplayed Golson in the spring game, which I still believe, and I posted over and over THAT NIGHT that Golson should still be the starter.

I know you and ndinla want there to be something between us because you thrive on drama, but I don't have the energy for drama. I repped him last week too for a good point he had.

I don't have time for grudges, so stop trying to start something.

I'm above it.

stlnd01 05-09-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274088)

I like both of them, and I certainly agree Nix had less of a year last year than in 2012. But I think the reason he's falling is injury concerns and system fit. "Effort" is something teams use as a way to run players down.
Maybe a few teams are turned off by a guy with as much personality as him. But I have a hard time with that when I think about all the psychopaths in the NFL and then Nix, who's never had a wink of trouble. I guess they're more worried about a guy with a sense of humor.

returnofthemack 05-09-2014 10:28 PM

The effort knock is bullshit. There have been plenty of plays I've seen where the LBs are completely out of position and as the safety is coming up you can see Nix hauling ass trying to get the player. It is horseshit that he has dropped this low. Donald going before him is understandable, he's a different type of DT, better for a 4-3. But Jernigan and Sutton? Hell no. Just fuels my hate for the stupid Bears.

PLACforever 05-09-2014 10:28 PM

Clowney, Nix, Watt

Bluto 05-09-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLACforever (Post 1274105)
Clowney, Nix, Watt

That's a crazy haul.

#1rish 05-09-2014 10:30 PM

Fuck the Bears.

Hope he proves to all the teams that let him fall wrong.

RyCo1983 05-09-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLACforever (Post 1274105)
Clowney, Nix, Watt

I was just saying to my girl...

"Those 3..."
"Fuck...everyone"

Could be brutal if Nix and Clowney pan out...wow
Who do you double team???

PLACforever 05-09-2014 10:32 PM

I'm so mad the Giants passed on Nix. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong.

PLACforever 05-09-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo (Post 1274110)
I was just saying to my girl...

"Those 3..."
"Fuck...everyone"

Could be brutal if Nix and Clowney pan out...wow
Who do you double team???

If Houston gets the Nix from two years ago, I'm pretty sure that I could get to the QB as a LB behind that line

johnnycando 05-09-2014 10:37 PM

Houston LBs are gonna have a great stat line. Nix and clowney!? You kidding me!?

irishff1014 05-09-2014 10:37 PM

I always like nix. Glad to see him go to a good d-line team. To bad he fell all the way to the 3rd round.

RyCo1983 05-09-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLACforever (Post 1274114)
If Houston gets the Nix from two years ago, I'm pretty sure that I could get to the QB as a LB behind that line

Exactly.

irishmarine 05-09-2014 10:38 PM

I'm pissed the redskins didn't take him. Horrible defense and an aging dline he could have been a day one starter. IDIOTS

johnnycando 05-09-2014 10:45 PM

They have JJ Watt too right? And Jared Crick? Brian Cushing?

Geez.

Junkhead 05-09-2014 10:55 PM

It's criminal the big guy fell that far. He's a steal at 83.

chicago51 05-09-2014 11:00 PM

Texans D-Front is Fn stacked!

NDinTEXAS 05-09-2014 11:24 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOM HELL YA!!!!

GBdomer 05-09-2014 11:41 PM

Just so we are clear what I pointed out with nix I wasn't the one saying it. I'm just saying what draft "gurus" were questioning..

Coon I don't know what you are talking about. I'm trolling people when you have been called a troll.

Btw congrats to Louis Nix joining one of the dirtiest front sevens in the NFL

koonja 05-10-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274168)
Just so we are clear what I pointed out with nix I wasn't the one saying it. I'm just saying what draft "gurus" were questioning..

Coon I don't know what you are talking about. I'm trolling people when you have been called a troll.

Btw congrats to Louis Nix joining one of the dirtiest front sevens in the NFL

I've been called a troll. By you. No one else. That doesn't make me a troll. I am not a troll.

You're trying to start something every time you can, but there's nothing to start with me. Your opinion doesn't bother me, so every time you try to cause drama, you just make the posters of IE read something for no reason, and I'm getting tired of point this out to you.

Please, find something better to do. I have no interest in arguing with you unless you're going to bring some substance to the table.

irishfan 05-10-2014 12:09 AM

Honestly, once he slipped out of the 1st round, he should have only be concerned with where he got drafted. Not when. Ended up in a great spot. Wish my Pats took him (pissed about their draft so far), and hope he tears it up in Houston.

GBdomer 05-10-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuehnja (Post 1274178)
I've been called a troll. By you. No one else. That doesn't make me a troll. I am not a troll.

You're trying to start something every time you can, but there's nothing to start with me. Your opinion doesn't bother me, so every time you try to cause drama, you just make the posters of IE read something for no reason, and I'm getting tired of point this out to you.

Please, find something better to do. I have no interest in arguing with you unless you're going to bring some substance to the table.

What am I arguing with you about? Do you need to talk to someone? Please PM me about this "drama" and me arguing with you. Would love to help you out with our situation.

IrishJayhawk 05-10-2014 01:00 AM

Guys...give it a rest.

GBdomer 05-10-2014 01:01 AM

Who would have thought it Koon getting into it with another poster?

koonja 05-10-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274190)
What am I arguing with you about? Do you need to talk to someone? Please PM me about this "drama" and me arguing with you. Would love to help you out with our situation.

Obviously I'm talking about the last 2 comments of the previous page, and into the top of this one.

You apparently were bothered because I posted an 'oh snap' gif when you said Kona > Nix. I would have posted that GIF to anyone who said that. It was nothing personal and 'oh snap' is not offensive or insulting.

But you somehow thought it was 'fighting words' and illogically brought up 'just like Malik is better than Golson', which is nothing but stupid, because 1) I never said that and 2) I said the opposite and 3) even if I did say that, it doesn't relate to anything that's happened in this thread.

It's clear you follow me around trying to argue with me. I don't want to PM you. I don't want to argue with you. I want you to find something better to do than obsess over arguing with me.

Don't try to start something then back out and play stupid. Just grow up, it's a lot easier.

Again, I'm tired of telling you this.

Crazy Balki 05-10-2014 03:02 AM

The Shamrock glasses are off now...Sutton > Nix!!!!

rocket66 05-10-2014 08:19 AM

Coon>GBdomer

RDU Irish 05-10-2014 09:54 AM

Bears can blow me. Ferguson AND Sutton over Nix. Insanity. Anyone remember the ASU game? Pregame talk was who was better DT, post game was no question, Nix WAY better.

Its like they refuse to draft ND players or something.

Booslum31 05-10-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDU Irish (Post 1274248)
Bears can blow me. Ferguson AND Sutton over Nix. Insanity. Anyone remember the ASU game? Pregame talk was who was better DT, post game was no question, Nix WAY better.

Its like they refuse to draft ND players or something.

I noticed the same thing. i just don't get it. Maybe they were concerned with Nix's injury last year. Wanted to see him a Bear.

TheChosen1 05-10-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBdomer (Post 1274196)
Who would have thought it Koon getting into it with another poster?

This

Irish Insanity 05-10-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket66 (Post 1274235)
Coon>GBdomer

^this

Quote:

Louis Nix III, DT, Houston Texans (Third round, 83rd overall pick): Nix suffered by far the biggest drop between potential and draft value in the second day — many had him ranked as a first-round prospect, but reported issues with conditioning and motivation led to his relative plummet. No matter — in Romeo Crennel’s defense, and with the right kind of coaching, Nix can still be a huge factor in the middle of Houston’s defense.
-from SI

Old Man Mike 05-10-2014 11:07 AM

-For whatever an individual opinion might be worth, I have one on our beloved Big Lou and this draft:

The pros are looking for someone who can be inserted into the DLine and least potentially play all the downs. They are looking for someone who will not wilt. Coach has been warning us that Lou needs to get his "work volume" up [i.e. his ability to go full-out for a greater number of plays before tiring] for every year of Lou's career. This is what the pros are concerned about.

They are NOT concerned about whether he will give all he has in his tank at any given moment, just that the tank runs a bit dry too soon. Mayock is EXACTLY right about this: there is no quit in Lou but when he gets tired he cannot stay low, begins to stand up, and gets emired in the blocking and often even turned --- something which does NOT happen when he's got energy.

There's no issue about Lou loving football, being any kind of problem, being too nice on the field, quickness, nor raw speed. They probably have legitimate concerns about his resolve to get down to 330 and stay there. They probably also have some concerns as to whether his "connectors" [tendons, hamstrings] can support his excess weight when he tries to run down an opponent [as we've seen him try to do] and thereby make him a minor injury risk.

It's all about weight and its consequences. Kelly knew that from day one. None of that minimizes my own fondness for the big guy --- one of my all-time favorite players.

p.s. guys, could we just be willing to cut personal debates really short before they ruin threads? That would be most appreciated. ... I mean, who the hell cares --- certainly not the rest of us.

irishog77 05-10-2014 11:20 AM

Why are Bears fans so upset their team drafted 4-3 DT's over a 3-4 DT?

And knock it off, OMM-- your constant bickering with other posters is nauseating. :yes: