Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   2010 Recruiting Profiles (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   '10 FL DT Louis Nix (Notre Dame Man) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44388)

JefMaj 10-22-2009 03:17 PM

This kid could really make my weekend going into Saturday - then to be further buoyed by Clausen, Tate and Te'o...

WabashFalcon 10-22-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGIF (Post 317748)
You know Kim Dunbar?

ND shut down the QB Club, aka, football booster club, right after the Dunbar affair(s).

Are you talking about someone in the Notre Dame Club?

Sorry for the semantics. Bosster Club = ND Club. Yes, he's a lawyer in Indianapolis who works closely with my father.

IrishAddiction 10-22-2009 06:52 PM

So is this guy somewhat of a soft verbal or silent commit to us right now or something? There is so much smoke here there has to be something to it.

irishandy 10-22-2009 09:14 PM

Nothing has been said in the SB Tribune about him. I think he is keeping on the down low for now.

JefMaj 10-22-2009 09:21 PM

Irishandy - come on.... Nix could knock on Lesar's door and ask if he could move in until classes start and that moron would give him room then sit at his word-processor thinking of anti-Irish shit to write and miss the story. I'm sorry he's one goofy bastard. Clueless - but likes to try and push his hater view. Hansen's a nice guy but neither of those guys are ever moving up in the field of journalism. South Bend Trib sport's suck...

irishandy 10-22-2009 09:24 PM

and where is your location jefmaj?? enough said.....

jason_h537 10-23-2009 12:34 AM

Word is that the Miami staff has not contacted Nix in a while

WhoDeyIrish 10-23-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_h537 (Post 317961)
Word is that the Miami staff has not contacted Nix in a while

Good, maybe they don't want him...bad sign?

JefMaj 10-23-2009 03:30 PM

IrishAndy - don't understand your comment - because I'm local I know just how bad the Tribune is - even with regard to Irish coverage? - - Didn't Haugh make his name and route to Chicago by attacking ND? Lesar is a bad writer and has no where to go. Hansen is a little better - not a true hater as is Lesar.
Or, are you agreeing with me - that I DO know - because I'm local. Sarcasm or what?

texas fighting irish 10-23-2009 03:41 PM

I really hope we can land Nix it sounds like the irish have opened his eyes to come here also i like the fact that our recruits have been talking to him alot.

tko 10-23-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefMaj (Post 318109)
IrishAndy - don't understand your comment - because I'm local I know just how bad the Tribune is - even with regard to Irish coverage? - - Didn't Haugh make his name and route to Chicago by attacking ND? Lesar is a bad writer and has no where to go. Hansen is a little better - not a true hater as is Lesar.
Or, are you agreeing with me - that I DO know - because I'm local. Sarcasm or what?

i think he wants to slap you around a bit

JefMaj 10-23-2009 03:52 PM

Not worried - however - reminds me of the line in the song by John Prine: Illegal Smile: And, all of my friends turned out to be.. insurance salesmen.. but fortunately, I have the key.. to escape reality.. (when speaking of having a bad day and their (friends) sincerity)...

Domer4ever 10-24-2009 10:21 AM

In two years a defensive line of Martin, Nix, Ego Ferguson and Leuders sounds pretty good to me.

phork 10-24-2009 12:04 PM

If not there is always the year after!

Polish Leppy 22 10-24-2009 01:56 PM

Unfortunately we've been saying that for farrrr too long

JefMaj 10-26-2009 03:44 PM

NBC Sports - College Football - Inside the Irish

GOLDENISTHYTATE 10-26-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer4ever (Post 318356)
In two years a defensive line of Martin, Nix, Ego Ferguson and Leuders sounds pretty good to me.

I honestly feel we have little to no shot at Ferguson, and Martin still worries me. However, I will take any athletic d-linemen from the South Florida area, and Nix already has the body to play D-1 immediately.

Landing him, in addition to the development of Stockton, Cwynar, Williams, and Newman, does bode well for our future.

Question, our lone DT commit, Justin Utupo, is listed at 6-2 and 240 lbs. Someone please explain to me how they see him putting on the necessary weight to play college football at that position. He needs to put on 40 pounds, at the very least, and his body frame does not seem to be able to support such a gain.

jason_h537 10-26-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENISTHYTATE (Post 319960)
Question, our lone DT commit, Justin Utupo, is listed at 6-2 and 240 lbs. Someone please explain to me how they see him putting on the necessary weight to play college football at that position. He needs to put on 40 pounds, at the very least, and his body frame does not seem to be able to support such a gain.

He's Samoan

IHateMarkMay 10-26-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_h537 (Post 319984)
He's Samoan

Need we say more than this? haha

Dacian_Irish 10-26-2009 05:13 PM

KLM also came in at like 230 lbs. so I think he won't have a problem gaining the weight.

IHateMarkMay 10-26-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_Irish (Post 320003)
KLM also came in at like 230 lbs. so I think he won't have a problem gaining the weight.

Definitely not on ND's workout and eating program.

Domer4ever 10-26-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENISTHYTATE (Post 319960)
I honestly feel we have little to no shot at Ferguson

How come? Academics seem to be a priority for him and his parents apparently are high on Notre Dame. I also really like the fact that we get him late in the recruiting process and have a chance to make a lasting late impression. I would say right now we are towards the top of his list with LSU and Oklahoma. Miami is also rumored to possibly be in the mix.

GOLDENISTHYTATE 10-26-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateMarkMay (Post 320004)
Definitely not on ND's workout and eating program.

Exactly, other than KLM, at least in my recent memory, I feel like all of our D-linemen are undersized at their positions. When I was at the SC game two weeks ago, our d-linemen looked like cornerbacks compared to the D-linemen from SC.

Look at our safeties. McCarthy and Smith are completely undersized, and the fact that they dont overcompensate their lack of size for speed makes them even more atypical from the normal safety body.

Ferguson has his mom in Miami, and he has always been high on LSU, so I just don't feel like we can break into his top spot. I would love to, but usually the kids who go to Hargreaves end up at SEC or ACC schools.

jason_h537 10-26-2009 09:16 PM

USC d lineman are not that big, especially compared to some SECschools but they are ridiculously athletic.

Anyway back to Louis Nix

irishandy 10-26-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefMaj (Post 318109)

Hey JefMaj, lets return to the subjet at hand...I don't give a $hit what you think about the tribune.
Hope we land Louis Nix, not a good part on Miami staff to not have any contact with him.

mbeckha 10-26-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENISTHYTATE (Post 320104)
Exactly, other than KLM, at least in my recent memory, I feel like all of our D-linemen are undersized at their positions. When I was at the SC game two weeks ago, our d-linemen looked like cornerbacks compared to the D-linemen from SC.

Look at our safeties. McCarthy and Smith are completely undersized, and the fact that they dont overcompensate their lack of size for speed makes them even more atypical from the normal safety body.

Ferguson has his mom in Miami, and he has always been high on LSU, so I just don't feel like we can break into his top spot. I would love to, but usually the kids who go to Hargreaves end up at SEC or ACC schools.

How are they undersized? That comment was pretty silly. I dont know if you really know what your talking about. For every player you think is undersizedm there is a player in the NFL who excels at that size. You must play too many video games.

Brown 10-28-2009 11:02 PM

I think when ND wears their deep Navy blues the color makes them look smaller. Harrison Smith is well built for SS and has 4.3 speed. He's probably one of the best athletes on the team in terms of size/speed combination.

Ethan Johnson seems like a candidate to move outside next year--on base package--with Tyler Stockton likely taking over for him in the middle. Ethan Johnson is a bit undersized at DT but he's there because the team lacks a better option at the moment.

Base:

DE: KLM
DT: Ian Williams (whose play has really picked up recently)
DT: Tyler Stockton (one of the better DT recruits during Charlie's tenure)
DE: Ethan Johnson

Nickel:

DT: Ian Williams
DT: Ethan Johnson
DE: Darius Flemming

This is a much better defensive front than the current John Ryan @ DE and Ethan Johnson at DT in base that we're running out there this season.

Irishlew 10-28-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown (Post 320726)
I think when ND wears their deep Navy blues the color makes them look smaller. Harrison Smith is well built for SS and has 4.3 speed. He's probably one of the best athletes on the team in terms of size/speed combination.

Ethan Johnson seems like a candidate to move outside next year--on base package--with Tyler Stockton likely taking over for him in the middle. Ethan Johnson is a bit undersized at DT but he's there because the team lacks a better option at the moment.

Base:

DT: Ian Williams (whose play has really picked up recently)
DE: Chris Martin

Nickel:

DE: Chris Martin
DT: Louis Nix
DE: Darius Flemming

This is a much better defensive front than the current John Ryan @ DE and Ethan Johnson at DT in base that we're running out there this season.

fixed it for ya.

Brown 10-29-2009 01:13 AM

I don't think Martin takes over right away -- KLM, Flemming, and EJ, are talented DEs who weren't as good as Martin was as a Fr. but are better as 2nd and 3rd year D1 football players. Martin will definitely make the 2 deep and be rotated in, but I think KLM and EJ are good enough to hold it down for most of the year.

WabashFalcon 10-29-2009 07:17 AM

After all the hype... all the stuff Nix has done lately... when the hell is he going to make an announcement? This crap is driving me nuts.

JefMaj 10-29-2009 07:31 AM

When he's ready... it's not merely a 4 year commitment - a 60 year commitment - ND is the best choice with that regard... I'm glad he's taking his time to be sure. His 1st choice may have been a bit hasty. He'll sign on an ND commitment sheet... and will know at the time it's the best for the rest of his life - not just 4 years in the sun and humidity.

NDinL.A. 10-29-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown (Post 320765)
I don't think Martin takes over right away -- KLM, Flemming, and EJ, are talented DEs who weren't as good as Martin was as a Fr. but are better as 2nd and 3rd year D1 football players. Martin will definitely make the 2 deep and be rotated in, but I think KLM and EJ are good enough to hold it down for most of the year.

EJ lines up exclusively as a DT. KLM switches. Martin, if good as advertised, can at least make it on the field in passing downs, and work his way in a la Manti...

BCSorBust 10-29-2009 01:42 PM

I definitely see Nix and Martin working their way in. I feel like they are just a different level of athlete. I love our guys now and think they are going to keep maturing impressively but I'm not sure they were at the same place that Nix and Martin are so I can easily see them earning some playing time.

Irishkid23 10-29-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WabashFalcon (Post 320779)
After all the hype... all the stuff Nix has done lately... when the hell is he going to make an announcement? This crap is driving me nuts.

My guess is that he is getting heat from classmates and other people in Florida to stay in state. As all recruits are, he's young, so there is quite a bit of pressure on him. He is probably waiting as long as he can so that he doesn't have to hear the negative comments from his peers, etc. about ND.

ND will rise again..............Patience!

NDisme 11-02-2009 11:35 PM

there is an article on nix's status on rivals but im not able to read it, if anyone can that would be great and tell me what it says

The Polish Irishman 11-02-2009 11:36 PM

Says he expects to sign with UM

irish73102 11-03-2009 12:05 AM

o man i really wanted him

NDisme 11-03-2009 12:15 AM

Damnit

The Polish Irishman 11-03-2009 12:43 AM

But also said he had not talked to the UM coaches in a few weeks

jason_h537 11-03-2009 01:15 AM

He also said he cant explain how he feels about ND

NDisme 11-03-2009 01:22 AM

so like agood can't explain because i don't really get how that helps

jason_h537 11-03-2009 01:39 AM

Take it how you want. When asked about ND he said "There's no way I can put it. I don't even know."

NY_IRISH_FAN 11-03-2009 02:22 AM

Dang really wish nd coulda gotten him. Would have made an immediate impact on the dl

jason_h537 11-03-2009 03:10 AM

it aint over

Brown 11-03-2009 04:35 AM

Weird quote: "I don't even know..."

Is he saying ND isn't recruiting him as hard? Or maybe their offer isn't available anymore? Weird.

Domer4ever 11-03-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown (Post 323271)
Weird quote: "I don't even know..."

Is he saying ND isn't recruiting him as hard? Or maybe their offer isn't available anymore? Weird.

Yeah, not sure what to make out of that quote. Is he still having mixed emotions? If he is out, at least it opens up a potential spot for someone else (Joyner?).

Also, what does everyone make of the DT position next year anyways? Both starters return for us, and I would assume Cwynar, Stockton, and Hafis Williams will all play bigger roles next season. It would be great to have a space eater like Nix, but if not, I really do not want another DT committ as I dont see guys like Gaston or Allen making any sort of immediate impact. Would rather have a higher rated player at another defensive position of need.

Brown 11-03-2009 08:13 AM

Nix's commit wouldn't likely effect next season as much as it would 2011 and beyond.

Nix is a 4 star, but a really highly rated one.

He would be the best defensive line recruit we've seen during the Weis-era.

Nix is very important ... he provides a large upgrade and much needed depth to a position that's seriously lacking on this team.

IHateMarkMay 11-03-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown (Post 323290)
Nix's commit wouldn't likely effect next season as much as it would 2011 and beyond.

Nix is a 4 star, but a really highly rated one.

He would be the best defensive line recruit we've seen during the Weis-era.

Nix is very important ... he provides a large upgrade and much needed depth to a position that's seriously lacking on this team.

I don't know about the best, he is up there though. Ethan Johnson was highly regarded coming out of high school and he is now playing lights out. Filer was really good, don't know if he is considered lineman though, kind of the tweener.

Irish.Ca 11-03-2009 03:26 PM

Hope Nix comes to ND. But if he doesn't, I hope he commits soon anyways so we can make a major push on another front and add a crown jewel somewhere.

Domer4ever 11-03-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish.Ca (Post 323399)
Hope Nix comes to ND. But if he doesn't, I hope he commits soon anyways so we can make a major push on another front and add a crown jewel somewhere.

I agree. Nix is the only DT I would take at this point. I would rather save a couple scholarships for top end talent that have a major interest in the Irish than to land either Gaston or Allen. IMO I dont see either of them as better then our current young backup players in Cwyner, Stockton, or Hafis Williams.