Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   News, Features, And More (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Charlie Weis Named 28th Irish Coach (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007)

QueensNY 12-15-2004 05:45 PM

I can't stand the west coast offense. It's not what it used to be. I watch the Jets every week and they run the WCO, let me tell you that everyone in NY is ripping the Jets offense, its horrible.

WCO isn't going to attract recruits anymore in college. Look at when Hackett coached USC with the WCO. their recruiting tailed off big time. In comes Carroll, implents the spread offense (which recruits want) and their recruiting picks up big time to the point where USC is now one of the best recruiting teams. High school kids don't wanna play the WCO anymore, its not gonna work on the college level.

NDLyght37 12-15-2004 06:01 PM

All coaches are copycats. The WCO won a string of championships & everyone jumped on it. It can work in the pros, but it only works with some college teams, because you have to have the right personell to run it. You need an acurate QB with mobility, a solid RB who is a good reciever (or tight end) out of the backfield, and at least one quality reciever who can go over the middle.

QueensNY 12-15-2004 06:19 PM

Are Washington fans gonna want to wait for Ty to get the right personell. Their are some expectations to be met in Washington, it's a good fooball program.

Ty brought in the QB he wanted, Brady Quinn was his number one choice, he's had plenty of good backs, he recruited Stovall and Mcknight his first year, the two were highly touted recruits. Two of the best in the country.

I'm not a fan of the WCO at all.... I see the Raiders have dumped it. Jets need to dump it as well, and I'm glad ND will be dumping it.

NDLyght37 12-15-2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueensNY
Are Washington fans gonna want to wait for Ty to get the right personell. Their are some expectations to be met in Washington, it's a good fooball program.

Ty brought in the QB he wanted, Brady Quinn was his number one choice, he's had plenty of good backs, he recruited Stovall and Mcknight his first year, the two were highly touted recruits. Two of the best in the country.

I'm not a fan of the WCO at all.... I see the Raiders have dumped it. Jets need to dump it as well, and I'm glad ND will be dumping it.

I think UW fans will be very patient. I can easily see the Huskies going 5-6 next season. As far as when Ty first got to ND, he did a heck of a job with a bunch of option players.

seIRISH 12-15-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND 1987
If Ty had a weakness, it is recruiting. Regarding the success at New England, before his name came up at ND, I never once heard Weiss mentioned as crucial to New England's success. Weis has always worked for guys like Belichek and the Tuna who run the show. Granted Belichek is a defensive guy, New England's offense is what it is because of personnel.

Also- regarding players not wanting to play for Ty because of the offense he ran, this is total BS. This never held back Lou Holtz. Also, Willingham was running the west coast offense. It doesn't get any more NFL than that.

I am more certain Ty will bring back Washington than Weis bringing back ND.

I can already hear it 3 years from now. Your geniuses will be saying, "who was the stupid AD who hired a coach with zero head coaching experience and who hasn't played football beyond the 8th grade level."

I remember when Gerry Faust beat LSU in his first game and Sports Illustrated only half jokingly said ND might never lose another game under Faust. They were right. They didn't lose one. They lost 25. Weiss is Gery Faust with a gastric bypass. Two years at ND and he will be eating through a straw.

It'S amazing to me to read some of this. I must have been watching a differant team the last three years. Some people are claiming racism while others claim he just needed more time. I dont know why it is so hard for you to except he was not the right coach. He did not recruit well and more times then not got out coached. This may have been okay at Stanford were not much is expected. Did we really want to wait 6 years to go 8-3. And for everyone who will say they went to the Rose Bowl check out the competion in the Pac-10 that year. So now we have a new coach and just like last time we faced this I am not crying over the old one. Ty goes to Washington the team he was talking with before he got fired and I wish him luck. Wies on the other hand wont need luck because he has proven himself time and time again. He wants to be here and has no large buyout clause in his contract(that poor millonaire ty). So like I have posted before haters buy your jerseys now so can say you were down with him since day one.(We know how quickly adidas changes those darn things)

NDLyght37 12-16-2004 12:01 AM

Ty's a very smart man. The buyout's the same thing as getting a pre-nup...lol. I don't care who was in the Pac-10 that year...Stanford is Stanford, you can't hate on that accomplishment. Hopefully Wies will live up to the hype, but I stick by my thought that Willingham deserved 4 years.

jiggafini19 12-16-2004 10:53 AM

Ty got hosed because they wanted Urban. Simple as that.

More importantly, Charlie Weis spoke with Barrington IL OT Dan Doering and his parents last night for about 30 minutes. Bob Stoops, Kirk Ferentz and Phil Fulmer are hot on the trail as well. Doering is a key cog to the machine that will be the Class of 2008. Ty was laying the groundwork pretty well. Hopefully Weis can earn their trust soon.

Anyone know who is doing the recruiting? Are the players getting involved.

Go Colts, Go Steelers, Go Chargers...go anyone that can knock out the Pats in the playoffs.