Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Leprechaun Lounge (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   All Things Star Wars (No Spoilers) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197080)

RDU Irish 10-07-2015 03:30 PM

prequels sucked. Acting and animations are so bad that any of this deeper meaning is hardly worth worrying about. Empire is the best of the bunch, Jedi is almost ruined by the Ewoks. JarJar Binks did more to defame George Lucas than if he was caught naked in bed with a dozen 10 year old boys.

I don't get Yoda looking completely different in Episode I he is redeemed in his light saber sequence later in the prequels, best part of the first three and much less fake than most of the scenes.

The originals were able to be completely bad ass in within a PG framework and the prequels were not. Special effects added to the originals and detracted from the prequels.

I don't get that there are many people carrying water for the prequels, I thought it was well accepted that they generally sucked. Then again I haven't read deep into this thread so just going off the last page.

I am looking forward to the new ones, the trailer already has more of a Star Wars "look" too it. They also benefit from no tether to where it has to end like the prequels.

Buster Bluth 10-07-2015 04:31 PM

I agree with everything you said except the Yoda bit. The Yoda lightsaber stuff is commonly brought up amongst prequel haters for having ruined the character. Yoda was this tiny wise super-Jedi who seemed to get his strength from a mental aspect, not physical. Having him jump around parading saber skills took away from that IMO.

ulukinatme 10-07-2015 04:51 PM

I don't buy it. Interesting theory, but it's still only a theory. No one knows what George was really going for except George himself. Certainly some of the shots are very similar to previous movies, but how much of that is simple coincidence? The comparisons to the beginning of Jedi and Phantom are very similar, but at the end of the day...it's still a damn ship docking with a larger ship. There's no big metaphor going on here, it's a basic sci-fi/space operation. There's definitely frequent call backs in the two trilogies...but if there weren't, then how would they be connected at all? They would be two separate stories all together.

While they're long as hell and obviously were meant more for entertainment value, there are a lot of valid points in the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels. While the special effects were certainly top notch, they definitely took something away from the film with the constant use of green screen. The prequels just felt fake, the backgrounds made them look like a cartoon at times. In the original trilogy you don't get as much green screen, it's easier to imagine that the locations could actually exist in a galaxy far, far away as oppose to built on a computer and shot on green screen in England. In addition, the storylines in the prequels were awful at times and not well thought out (See the Red Letter Media reviews below), and some of the characters were really bad. The dialogue wasn't much better, the delivery was often very bland and felt forced. There were no Han Solos with witty dialogue and improvisation in this cast, they felt like they lacked passion.

As promised, part 1, but all parts of the Phantom Menace review should be watched:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FxKtZmQgxrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't read all of Klimo's thesis, just the first few pages, but in the Vice article he said:
"He was using Star Wars as a vehicle to kind of express larger themes and emotions." C'mon now. George isn't some savant that was trying to tell some masterful story between the prequels and the original trilogy. Maybe there was some of that in the original trilogy, but by the prequels they replaced great story and great acting/dialogue with boring plot and flashy effects. The prequels weren't a vehicle to express larger themes and emotions, they were a vehicle to make George lots of money, period. It's all about the ticket sales and merchandise. Yes, a lot of that money goes to the studio and to Kenner, but you get the idea. If Star Wars was George's masterpiece where this great, complex, artistic story was going on behind the scenes would he have ever sold the rights to Disney? No, I doubt it, he would have guarded that story from being damaged by someone who didn't share his vision.

At some point George lost his edge and may have lost some of his sanity. Just look at some of the moves and movies he made from the prequels and the later years. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull had some boneheaded decisions in it too, and a lot of them came from Lucas, not Spielberg. That's a good review to watch too. It goes beyond those movies though, it's the additions and edits he made to the original trilogy that were lame and stupid. Making Greedo shoot first in the rerelease of the original trilogy in the 90s? Makes no sense. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden at the end of Return of the Jedi? Bullshit. Adding the "Noooooo!" to the Return of the Jedi scene where Vader throws the Emperor down the shaft? Are you fucking kidding me? It's a good thing George sold the rights, he may have found other ways to continue to screw with the franchise.

ulukinatme 10-07-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDU Irish (Post 1608846)
prequels sucked. Acting and animations are so bad that any of this deeper meaning is hardly worth worrying about. Empire is the best of the bunch, Jedi is almost ruined by the Ewoks. JarJar Binks did more to defame George Lucas than if he was caught naked in bed with a dozen 10 year old boys.

Here's the thing for me...Empire is certainly the best among the films, but Jedi will always be my favorite. The diverged story lines each had different settings and struggles, coming together nicely in the end. You had Han and Leia fighting to bring down the shields, Luke struggling with the Emperor's attempts to turn him while not wishing to fight his father, and then the badass space battle with Lando outside the Death Star. It bordered on being too much, but it was well done I thought. The Ewoks were a problem, but from what I've read they originally wanted it to be the Wookiee planet which would have been a lot cooler and not so "cute," but for budget reasons I guess they decided to go with Ewoks. Instead they put Wookiees in Revenge of the Sith and they were all digitized, and everything about that planet sucked and felt fake.

IrishLion 10-07-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulukinatme (Post 1608893)
Instead they put Wookiees in Revenge of the Sith and they were all digitized, and everything about that planet sucked and felt fake.

Speaking of the Wookies in Revenge of the Sith, I could watch an entire movie about Order 66 being carried out.

The brief shots of the different locations, battles and situations when it happened were really neat.

Cackalacky 10-07-2015 05:38 PM

I am surrounded by a bunch of haters.

ulukinatme 10-07-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cackalacky (Post 1608908)
I am surrounded by a bunch of haters.

Well, you are likely the minority. The prequels didn't exactly have stunning reviews from the beginning.
I actually went to the theater to watch the Phantom Menace in 3D. Among the prequels it's definitely the one I enjoy the least, but at that point I had never seen a movie utilizing the newer 3D technology and I thought "Why not, maybe it'll make it better." It was still pretty shitty, and it just reinforced the entire problem the movie always had: pretty visuals, with crappy story, dialogue, and characters. It also gave my wife a headache, which meant no sex after the date, although I probably botched that one taking her to Star Wars to begin with.