Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Leprechaun Lounge (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   All Things Star Wars (No Spoilers) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197080)

wizards8507 04-29-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269457)
The only issue I have with it is that if Star Wars does well, there is no way it remains being 3 more movies. It's going to get more and more common (like superhero movies) to the point where there is one coming out nearly every other year (or 3 per year, like Marvel movies). Some people might be into that idea, I'm more of a guy who thinks Star Wars is more appealing as a great trilogy that was made, and now deserves to be treated with respect and retired.

Lucas planned Star Wars to be nine movies all the way back in 1980.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lucas, 1979
The first script was one of six original stories I had written in the form of two trilogies. After the success of Star Wars, I added another trilogy. So now there are nine stories. The original two trilogies were conceived of as six films of which the first film was number four.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lucas, 1980
Star Wars is really three trilogies, nine films... it won't be finished for probably another 20 years.


greyhammer90 04-29-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizards8507 (Post 1269462)
Lucas planned Star Wars to be nine movies all the way back in 1980.

and I was saying that there is no way Disney stops at 3 movies if these are commercial successes. (Which they will be) I'm not complaining about the new 3 movies, but the ones to come.

ACamp1900 04-29-2014 06:40 PM

I have often thought the Zahn books would make great movies... but I heard they are going completely original... we'll see.

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269459)
If Disney releases the original unedited trilogy with no additions or special edition garbage on blu ray I will consider it a net win.

I agree with this, but will avoid the shitty CGI fest that will follow in theatres.

Han shot first.

I enjoyed some of the EU stuff before the NJO books.
Zahn's stuff especially was magnificent.

GATTACA! 04-29-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269457)
The only issue I have with it is that if Star Wars does well, there is no way it remains being 3 more movies. It's going to get more and more common (like superhero movies) to the point where there is one coming out nearly every other year (or 3 per year, like Marvel movies). Some people might be into that idea, I'm more of a guy who thinks Star Wars is more appealing as a great trilogy that was made, and now deserves to be treated with respect and retired.

Not saying I won't see them, but I could easily see Disney pushing them out to the point that I get fatigued by them in the same way I am starting to get with superhero movies. And the idea of me being fatigued with Star Wars is one the saddest things I can think of.

I agree with you, but i think disney will be aware of over saturation. I think they will deal with it by having lots of stories that are the already rumored spin off films. Weather thats a good thing for those specific characters (yoda, boba fett, ect.) is debatable. But i think overall it's good for the mainline franchise. Part of what made the originals so great was that you got the feeling that you where just seeing a slice of an amazing history. By expanding the main storyline exponentially you lose a sense of the mystique, and it makes it seem like the events we are seeing are the most important events that have happened in this universe. Rather than just a small section.

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269469)
I agree with you, but i think disney will be aware of over saturation. I think they will deal with it by having lots of stories that are the already rumored spin off films. Weather thats a good thing for those specific characters (yoda, boba fett, ect.) is debatable. But i think overall it's good for the mainline franchise. Part of what made the originals so great was that you got the feeling that you where just seeing a slice of an amazing history. By expanding the main storyline exponentially you lose a sense of the mystique, and it makes it seem like the events we are seeing are the most important events that have happened in this universe.

I guess my only issue is that for me the "mystique" is one of the biggest things Star Wars has going for it. Once you expand on it, it becomes ordinary or worse. For example- the clone wars, they were mentioned in the first Star Wars in passing and everyone was like "holy shit that sounds really cool", same with Bobba Fett "holy shit, who is that guy, what is he under that mask, and why do I suddenly want to be a bounty hunter when I grow up?"

Unfortunately all those questions were answered... :no:

In my perfect world, they do these three movies, make them amazing, leave us hungry for more, and rerelease the trilogies every 10 years or so in theaters for kids.

irishog77 04-29-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cackalacky (Post 1269384)
Cast info released today. Set 30 years after Episode VI.

The Force Is With Them: Star Wars Episode VII Cast Revealed : The Two-Way : NPR
Hamill, Fisher, Mayhew, Daniels, Ford all returning. Andy Serkis involved too.

I clicked on the link and saw a picture of Chewbaca and R2D2 at the read-through. Do you think they make their wookie and robot noises when they're line comes up in the script?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.