Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Leprechaun Lounge (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   All Things Star Wars (No Spoilers) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197080)

Cackalacky 04-29-2014 05:51 PM

All Things Star Wars (No Spoilers)

Cast info released today. Set 30 years after Episode VI.

The Force Is With Them: Star Wars Episode VII Cast Revealed : The Two-Way : NPR
Hamill, Fisher, Mayhew, Daniels, Ford all returning. Andy Serkis involved too.

magogian 04-29-2014 06:31 PM

But who will play Jar Jar Binks!!!

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 06:36 PM

Not excited at all for Disney to whore the franchise more than Lucas himself has.

I'll be passing on these like I passed on the god awful prequels.

MNIrishman 04-29-2014 06:46 PM

My confession: I thought the prequels were better.

gkIrish 04-29-2014 06:47 PM

Considering all the old actors will be involved, I'm very excited. Huge Star Wars nerd.

Irish Cowboy 04-29-2014 06:57 PM

I wonder who took over the empire after Palatine was killed?

wizards8507 04-29-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo (Post 1269411)
Not excited at all for Disney to whore the franchise more than Lucas himself has.

http://www.mrbrown.com/.a/6a00d83451...6647970d-550wi

Sorry but where's your basis for that? Box office, critical reviews, and nerds everywhere have lauded Disney's handling of Marvel so I'm not sure how you see them ruining Star Wars.

GoIrish41 04-29-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Cowboy (Post 1269421)
I wonder who took over the empire after Palatine was killed?

The Koch Brothers

GATTACA! 04-29-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Right? I hate the way they destroyed the Marvel universe and the Avengers specifically......errrrr

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNIrishman (Post 1269417)

http://cdn.superbwallpapers.com/wall...72-400x250.jpg

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269450)
Right? I hate the way they destroyed the Marvel universe and the Avengers specifically......errrrr

The only issue I have with it is that if Star Wars does well, there is no way it remains being 3 more movies. It's going to get more and more common (like superhero movies) to the point where there is one coming out nearly every other year (or 3 per year, like Marvel movies). Some people might be into that idea, I'm more of a guy who thinks Star Wars is more appealing as a great trilogy that was made, and now deserves to be treated with respect and retired.

Not saying I won't see them, but I could easily see Disney pushing them out to the point that I get fatigued by them in the same way I am starting to get with superhero movies. And the idea of me being fatigued with Star Wars is one the saddest things I can think of.

anarin 04-29-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNIrishman (Post 1269417)

I felt Episode 3 was the most dramatic of all 6. While it did have some cheesy moments, all 6 films had their cheese. I don't look at these films with fanboy goggles.

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

If Disney releases the original unedited trilogy with no additions or special edition garbage on blu ray I will consider it a net win.

bert2834 04-29-2014 07:35 PM

Kinda surprised they went with a bunch of no name actors and actresses. A few have them have been in things but mostly fresh faces. Not sure if that's good or bad since the originals were mostly no names. Either way I will watch it ASAP.

wizards8507 04-29-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269457)
The only issue I have with it is that if Star Wars does well, there is no way it remains being 3 more movies. It's going to get more and more common (like superhero movies) to the point where there is one coming out nearly every other year (or 3 per year, like Marvel movies). Some people might be into that idea, I'm more of a guy who thinks Star Wars is more appealing as a great trilogy that was made, and now deserves to be treated with respect and retired.

Lucas planned Star Wars to be nine movies all the way back in 1980.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lucas, 1979
The first script was one of six original stories I had written in the form of two trilogies. After the success of Star Wars, I added another trilogy. So now there are nine stories. The original two trilogies were conceived of as six films of which the first film was number four.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lucas, 1980
Star Wars is really three trilogies, nine films... it won't be finished for probably another 20 years.

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizards8507 (Post 1269462)
Lucas planned Star Wars to be nine movies all the way back in 1980.

and I was saying that there is no way Disney stops at 3 movies if these are commercial successes. (Which they will be) I'm not complaining about the new 3 movies, but the ones to come.

ACamp1900 04-29-2014 07:40 PM

I have often thought the Zahn books would make great movies... but I heard they are going completely original... we'll see.

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269459)
If Disney releases the original unedited trilogy with no additions or special edition garbage on blu ray I will consider it a net win.

I agree with this, but will avoid the shitty CGI fest that will follow in theatres.

Han shot first.

I enjoyed some of the EU stuff before the NJO books.
Zahn's stuff especially was magnificent.

GATTACA! 04-29-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269457)

Not saying I won't see them, but I could easily see Disney pushing them out to the point that I get fatigued by them in the same way I am starting to get with superhero movies. And the idea of me being fatigued with Star Wars is one the saddest things I can think of.

I agree with you, but i think disney will be aware of over saturation. I think they will deal with it by having lots of stories that are the already rumored spin off films. Weather thats a good thing for those specific characters (yoda, boba fett, ect.) is debatable. But i think overall it's good for the mainline franchise. Part of what made the originals so great was that you got the feeling that you where just seeing a slice of an amazing history. By expanding the main storyline exponentially you lose a sense of the mystique, and it makes it seem like the events we are seeing are the most important events that have happened in this universe. Rather than just a small section.

greyhammer90 04-29-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269469)
I agree with you, but i think disney will be aware of over saturation. I think they will deal with it by having lots of stories that are the already rumored spin off films. Weather thats a good thing for those specific characters (yoda, boba fett, ect.) is debatable. But i think overall it's good for the mainline franchise. Part of what made the originals so great was that you got the feeling that you where just seeing a slice of an amazing history. By expanding the main storyline exponentially you lose a sense of the mystique, and it makes it seem like the events we are seeing are the most important events that have happened in this universe.

I guess my only issue is that for me the "mystique" is one of the biggest things Star Wars has going for it. Once you expand on it, it becomes ordinary or worse. For example- the clone wars, they were mentioned in the first Star Wars in passing and everyone was like "holy shit that sounds really cool", same with Bobba Fett "holy shit, who is that guy, what is he under that mask, and why do I suddenly want to be a bounty hunter when I grow up?"

Unfortunately all those questions were answered... :no:

In my perfect world, they do these three movies, make them amazing, leave us hungry for more, and rerelease the trilogies every 10 years or so in theaters for kids.

irishog77 04-29-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cackalacky (Post 1269384)
Cast info released today. Set 30 years after Episode VI.

The Force Is With Them: Star Wars Episode VII Cast Revealed : The Two-Way : NPR
Hamill, Fisher, Mayhew, Daniels, Ford all returning. Andy Serkis involved too.

I clicked on the link and saw a picture of Chewbaca and R2D2 at the read-through. Do you think they make their wookie and robot noises when they're line comes up in the script?

AdmiralBackhand 04-29-2014 07:58 PM

What is this movie about?

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralBackhand (Post 1269477)
What is this movie about?

Explosions mostly.

and money.

GATTACA! 04-29-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhammer90 (Post 1269471)
I guess my only issue is that for me the "mystique" is one of the biggest things Star Wars has going for it. Once you expand on it, it becomes ordinary or worse. For example- the clone wars, they were mentioned in the first Star Wars in passing and everyone was like "holy shit that sounds really cool", same with Bobba Fett "holy shit, who is that guy, what is he under that mask, and why do I suddenly want to be a bounty hunter when I grow up?"

Unfortunately all those questions were answered... :no:

In my perfect world, they do these three movies, make them amazing, leave us hungry for more, and rerelease the trilogies every 10 years or so in theaters for kids.

I agree i think Disney will support the main franchise with those spinoffs so they dont overwhelm us with the main storyline......or maybe thats just what im hoping for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo (Post 1269479)
Explosions mostly.

and money.

It sounds like somebody's butthurt right now.

http://i.imgur.com/CqfEwxe.gif

It will be okay buddy

chicago51 04-29-2014 09:35 PM

I'm fired up for this!

Sure it may suck! I wait with anticipation nonetheless.

Yes I love Star Wars! Yes I am a major dork but I am totally comfortable with it. I gave up trying to be "cool" 11 years ago when I was 15.

Cackalacky 04-29-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishog77 (Post 1269472)
I clicked on the link and saw a picture of Chewbaca and R2D2 at the read-through. Do you think they make their wookie and robot noises when they're line comes up in the script?

You sir are not right lol.

RRWARRCHHGGHR.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...214172&pid=1.7

Cackalacky 04-29-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269469)
I agree with you, but i think disney will be aware of over saturation. I think they will deal with it by having lots of stories that are the already rumored spin off films. Weather thats a good thing for those specific characters (yoda, boba fett, ect.) is debatable. But i think overall it's good for the mainline franchise. Part of what made the originals so great was that you got the feeling that you where just seeing a slice of an amazing history. By expanding the main storyline exponentially you lose a sense of the mystique, and it makes it seem like the events we are seeing are the most important events that have happened in this universe. Rather than just a small section.

I think it will be more of what they did with Clone Wars on cartoon network. They have plenty of material to cover the time periods between the movies. I love the Clone War cartoons. Also, I hope to all that is Lucas they do something with the Old Republic era.

TDHeysus 04-29-2014 09:52 PM

I'm excited for this....there are some ppl that will watch the Star Wars franchise no matter who produces it. I, and few co-workers are among those ppl.

I can deal with jar jar binks, and I can deal with 'little anakin randomly shooting clones in the hangar'......but my only gripe with the series was the execution of 'Order 66'. Some of the Jedi's were killed FAR TOO EASILY; I thought they just didnt have enough (movie)time to make it happen correctly.

That being said, i'm forever hooked on just about anything Star Wars.

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269482)
I agree i think Disney will support the main franchise with those spinoffs so they dont overwhelm us with the main storyline......or maybe thats just what im hoping for.

It sounds like somebody's butthurt right now.

http://i.imgur.com/CqfEwxe.gif

It will be okay buddy

haha
It's all good sir. I'm not too concerned about it. I haven't really been a fan since high school. I was pretty obsessed back in my youth.
I have a shit ton of novels in my little library. It's sad that they don't seem to be planning on using any EU stuff.

chicago51 04-29-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDHeysus (Post 1269546)
I'm excited for this....there are some ppl that will watch the Star Wars franchise no matter who produces it. I, and few co-workers are among those ppl.

I can deal with jar jar binks, and I can deal with 'little anakin randomly shooting clones in the hangar'......but my only gripe with the series was the execution of 'Order 66'. Some of the Jedi's were killed FAR TOO EASILY; I thought they just didnt have enough (movie)time to make it happen correctly.

That being said, i'm forever hooked on just about anything Star Wars.

ORDER 66 WAS BOGUS!!

I don't buy a half dozen to a dozen clone troops killing a jedi master? Some of whom where sitting members of the jedi councel. A dozen clone troops would struggle with a teenage patawan learner.

I also don't buy Anakin who was a damn talented jedi turned sith with maybe a couple hundred clone troops can kill every single freakin jedi in the Jedi Temple?

Irish4Life09 04-29-2014 11:46 PM

WHERE THE F IS BILLIE DEE WILLIAMS?!?!?!?!

RyCo1983 04-29-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish4Life09 (Post 1269590)
WHERE THE F IS BILLIE DEE WILLIAMS?!?!?!?!

RIGHT HERE!

http://coolwatersprods.com/images/colt45WEB.jpg

Irish4Life09 04-29-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo (Post 1269593)

lmfao

ACamp1900 04-29-2014 11:57 PM

Honestly though, where IS BDW??

GATTACA! 04-30-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACamp1900 (Post 1269597)
Honestly though, where IS BDW??

http://37.media.tumblr.com/06c7ed93e...qz87o1_400.gif

DWTS

RyCo1983 04-30-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATTACA! (Post 1269603)

He dropped out of that show last month.
For the record, I only know because I googled him!

He's 77 now!

GATTACA! 04-30-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo (Post 1269604)
He dropped out of that show last month.
For the record, I only know because I googled him!

He's 77 now!

Yea ik exactly whats going on DWTS bc i watch Fallon every night. I was just trying to make a funny.

calvegas04 04-30-2014 02:06 AM

Star Wars Ep. 7 you say?!??!?!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...ang0o1_400.gif

On another note, what movie does everyone think they will show the first teaser/trailer for SW7 before?

UmphreakDomer 04-30-2014 02:11 AM

jj abrams will do right, story wise.

dublinirish 04-30-2014 04:14 AM

pretty cool for Domhnall Gleeson, guy gets himself into a lot of sweet movies

GATTACA! 04-30-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvegas04 (Post 1269655)
Star Wars Ep. 7 you say?!??!?!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...ang0o1_400.gif

On another note, what movie does everyone think they will show the first teaser/trailer for SW7 before?

Idk the two logical place would be Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers 2. But GotG seems too soon and Avengers 2 seems too late, I'd think 7 months out we would at least have a teaser. Big Hero 6 seems like the butter zone being in 11/14, but I don't think they would put it in front of a movie that's without the vast marketing campaigns they give the MCU films. Now that I'm thinking about it though maybe that is the reasons to put it there, give an extra bump to Big Hero 6.

My guess: Big Hero 6

Irishnuke 04-30-2014 06:20 AM

So is anybody else not interested in this at all?

rikkitikki08 04-30-2014 09:08 AM

JJ Abrams is actually a pretty talented director, im not really a star wars fan but i think it couldn't be in better hands. Remember this guy made star trek cool.......that's saying something.

ThePiombino 04-30-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishnuke (Post 1269682)
So is anybody else not interested in this at all?

Hard not to be excited about this with Hamill, Fisher, and Ford on board to be honest.

dublinirish 04-30-2014 09:19 AM

c'mon it has got the old cast and some new hyped young actors in it and its got JJ Abrams, it might be too total gash in the end but it will be interesting.

Irish#1 04-30-2014 09:19 AM

The first was the best. Now I know age comes into play, but I hope Carrie Fisher loses a lot of weight before they start filming. I saw her on a sitcom a while back and she hasn't been taking care of herself.

Cackalacky 04-30-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePiombino (Post 1269710)
Hard not to be excited about this with Hamill, Fisher, and Ford on board to be honest.

Agreed. Plus it is set at a time where Han and Leia's children are at the same age as Luke and Leia were in Episode IV. I believe that Daisy Ridley will be Jaina and I am hoping that they also will have Jacen and Anakin. I don't know if they will go down the path where Jacen turns into a Sith but it is a possibility.

I was thinking about Mara Jade but she will probably not feature in this set of movies as she is dead by this time I believe. My timeline might be off.

Cackalacky 04-30-2014 09:24 AM

I was looking at the EU timeline. Anyone see this as a good backdrop to the upcoming movies?

Quote:

The New Jedi Order (25 ABY - 37 ABY)
With the Jedi Knights now over one hundred strong the New Republic has signed a peace treaty with the remains of the Empire. The galaxy is finally enjoying a peaceful respite from decades of war. It's in this era that a horrible alien menace invades the Republic from beyond known space. The Yuuzhan Vong lay waste to entire worlds in their scourge, as depicted in the novels of The New Jedi Order. The Dark Nest trilogy falls at the end of this era. The mysterious Killik encroach upon Chiss-controlled space, inciting a three-way war between the Chiss, the Killik Hive, and the Galactic Alliance, with Jedi falling in on all sides.

RDU Irish 04-30-2014 09:30 AM

Please just don't turn it into a CGI-fest! I can watch IV - VI over and over again. First three I haven't re-watched hardly at all. Huge disappointments largely due to Jar Jar, CGI and bad acting.

If they can keep the hokey dipshit characters at bay (Abrams in charge should help) I could see this rivaling the original trilogy. You also have the benefit in the story of not knowing the ending, unlike the I - III.

gkIrish 04-30-2014 10:51 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if the villain is Admiral Thrawn. I read that series by Timothy Zahn and really enjoyed it. I think the timeline would be off but in terms of purely who the villain could be that's a possibility.