Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/index.php)
-   2010 Recruiting Profiles (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   '10 FL DT Louis Nix (Notre Dame Man) (https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44388)

HereComeTheIrish 06-14-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish4Life09 (Post 371463)
Ok, so I dont get another infraction I wont talk about the recruit specifically.
I wasn't talking about leaving home to go to a school.I've done that,and most of you have all done that.Yes,homesickness is a normal thing, I went through it myself at college.
But that is not what I was talking about.
I was talking about someone complaining about practice.practice?.....we're talking about practice?...not a game,not a game...practice.
I believe Kelly is working harder than any other coach in the country to get these kids ready physically and mentally.Thats what those kind of workouts are for.
ND has always stood for strong-willed intelligent student-athletes.
This isn't the University of Florida where you can get away with murder and miss a practice and be ok.
I would think (and hope) that others would be worried about a recruit complaining about practice.And talking about leaving a football program over practice.Am I the only one that finds that troublesome? Or do I think too logically?

LOL... Thanks Mr. Iverson. ;)

I didn't give you the infraction and I'm not going to speak for L.A. so that one's between you fellas.

That said, Kelly's been given the task of creating a new culture in this here town... It's been said many times that he felt the players/atmosphere were soft and he wouldn't stand for it. It's kind of the military philosophy of breaking a man down and building them up again. Usually, they come out stronger in mind/body on the other end.

Now, that said, Kelly's beating the weak out of the returning players, and unfortunately, the new class coming in is having their feet held to the fire all at the same time. This may be the first time any of these fellas have ever gone through something like this. Add in the fact that homesickness is likely setting in and it all comes off as doom and gloom. Big Man will be fine...he seems like a good character kid.

I think that's the problem with these social sites. They don't necessarily correctly depict what is actually going on. Chances are, this young man is using this as a crutch for folks (who for the most part I'm guessing have been a part of his inner circle all his life blowing sunshine up his rear end) to sympathize with him and feel his pain along with him. It's most likely a young man blowing off steam and looking for some support as he may not be fitting in just yet as this is the summer and most of the student body is gone. It's a bitch feeling like you're on an island in a brand new place and your usual support group isn't there to back you up. I think he'll be fine once things start to crank up for keeps...

NDinL.A. 06-14-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish4Life09 (Post 371463)
Ok, so I dont get another infraction I wont talk about the recruit specifically.
I wasn't talking about leaving home to go to a school.I've done that,and most of you have all done that.Yes,homesickness is a normal thing, I went through it myself at college.
But that is not what I was talking about.
I was talking about someone complaining about practice.practice?.....we're talking about practice?...not a game,not a game...practice.
I believe Kelly is working harder than any other coach in the country to get these kids ready physically and mentally.Thats what those kind of workouts are for.
ND has always stood for strong-willed intelligent student-athletes.
This isn't the University of Florida where you can get away with murder and miss a practice and be ok.
I would think (and hope) that others would be worried about a recruit complaining about practice.And talking about leaving a football program over practice.Am I the only one that finds that troublesome? Or do I think too logically?

Now, that's the type of post I was talking about. Much better and some really well thought-out points. The only problem in the prior posts was that you were getting personal with the recruit, which is not something the site would like to be about (especially considering that recruits most definitely read these types of sites). Thanks...

Irish4Life09 06-14-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereComeTheIrish (Post 371465)
LOL... Thanks Mr. Iverson. ;)

I didn't give you the infraction and I'm not going to speak for L.A. so that one's between you fellas.

That said, Kelly's been given the task of creating a new culture in this here town... It's been said many times that he felt the players/atmosphere were soft and he wouldn't stand for it. It's kind of the military philosophy of breaking a man down and building them up again. Usually, they come out stronger in mind/body on the other end.

Now, that said, Kelly's beating the weak out of the returning players, and unfortunately, the new class coming in is having their feet held to the fire all at the same time. This may be the first time any of these fellas have ever gone through something like this. Add in the fact that homesickness is likely setting in and it all comes off as doom and gloom. Big Man will be fine...he seems like a good character kid.

I think that's the problem with these social sites. They don't necessarily correctly depict what is actually going on. Chances are, this young man is using this as a crutch for folks (who for the most part I'm guessing have been a part of his inner circle all his life blowing sunshine up his rear end) to sympathize with him and feel his pain along with him. It's most likely a young man blowing off steam and looking for some support as he may not be fitting in just yet as this is the summer and most of the student body is gone. It's a bitch feeling like you're on an island in a brand new place and your usual support group isn't there to back you up. I think he'll be fine once things start to crank up for keeps...

You know what? I think you're right.
I apologize for my earlier comments. I know I'm just an stupid, overzealous fan,and it's been a slow couple months for us.lol. I shouldn't speak like that about recruits, I just find it kind of disrespectful. I feel that way because their are thousands of people,including myself, who would give their nuts to play for that school.And to see someone possibly throw it away over something stupid just erks me.
I promise from now on I wont speak badly of a recruit,and like I said, i do apologize.

NDBCSChamps 06-14-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereComeTheIrish (Post 371459)
Keep in mind, my comment was directed at the posters on this board...not the kid. It's a bitch leaving home for the first time. It's not for everyone.

Yeah, sorry wasn't really directed at you just happened to be under your post. Just a general statement in the thread.

On a different note, I'm not even sure Nix is in South Bend right now. He says he won't be in SB til the 20th. So basically he is doing all this off-season stuff alone, nervous about whether he is ready, and doesn't have the other freshman/rest of the team to lean on for support and to help him work through it. Definitely a tough thing.

tko 06-14-2010 09:23 PM

homesick? i was homesick when i left for college too, but i didn't have facebook to express those feelings. he'll be fine, talk to TRob.

Ben E. 06-14-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereComeTheIrish (Post 371455)
IDK....Kind of sounds like our fan base bitching and moaning about potentially having to join a conference. Things aren't to their liking so they're going to bitch and moan and eventually take their ball and go home.

i dont see the comparison! haha!

HereComeTheIrish 06-14-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish4Life09 (Post 371468)
You know what? I think you're right.
I apologize for my earlier comments. I know I'm just an stupid, overzealous fan,and it's been a slow couple months for us.lol. I shouldn't speak like that about recruits, I just find it kind of disrespectful. I feel that way because their are thousands of people,including myself, who would give their nuts to play for that school.And to see someone possibly throw it away over something stupid just erks me.
I promise from now on I wont speak badly of a recruit,and like I said, i do apologize.

No worries... :)

BCSorBust 06-14-2010 10:19 PM

Why are people checking the facebook status of recruits or players? That is weird - don't you remember what you used to post on IM away messages. OMG if people read what I posted there I would never be a doctor now.

Praytorian 07-06-2010 12:48 AM

Has anyone heard about the homesickness?

jason_h537 07-06-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praytorian (Post 375147)

Is he on campus yet?

All freshman get homsickness, ask Shaq Evans

BGIF 07-06-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praytorian (Post 375147)

Did you look at the thread?

HereComeTheIrish 07-06-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGIF (Post 375162)
Did you look at the thread?

I did and it makes me sick.... :laugh:

Praytorian 07-06-2010 03:36 AM

Yes I did, I was just hoping for an update on it. Hopefully he overcomes it and starts feel at home there at ND. Like I said, I was just looking for an update.

NDinL.A. 07-06-2010 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praytorian (Post 375172)
Yes I did, I was just hoping for an update on it. Hopefully he overcomes it and starts feel at home there at ND. Like I said, I was just looking for an update.

He's definitely on campus and by all accounts is a beast. Haven't heard a thing about homesickness either way...

rocket31 07-06-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praytorian (Post 375172)

when did he ever say he was homesick in the first place....?

Praytorian 07-06-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDinL.A. (Post 375179)
He's definitely on campus and by all accounts is a beast. Haven't heard a thing about homesickness either way...

great news thanks.

BestBIrish47 07-06-2010 10:57 AM

Take him to Steak and Shake... he will love that place.....

Praytorian 07-06-2010 11:02 AM

Come on down to the H-town and dinner's on me.

chyrspchuck 07-06-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket31 (Post 375202)

somebody stalked him on facebook and he wrote something like, "ready to get off the boat and i'm not even on it," or something to that effect. a lot of people got nervous that he didn't like off season workouts, and that he didn't want to work hard or be a part of the team. I believe it was a little jump to judgment by some on IE and other Irish sites.

regardless as ND in LA said, he is on campus and tearing it up.

I'm pumped to see what LouNix can do....

BGIF 07-06-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket31 (Post 375202)

He didn't. He made a casual remark while he was still at home and some people started running from the falling sky.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater 07-06-2010 03:49 PM

I'm sure he's fine. Everyone has an adjustment period to go through. Go Irish!

dshans 07-06-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestBIrish47 (Post 375205)
Take him to Steak and Shake... he will love that place.....

Damn! When did the Steak 'n Shake open? There wasn't one around when I was there '70 through '74. It would have eased what little homesickness I felt since "The Steak" was one of the "cool" places to be seen on a Friday or Saturday night when I was in high school in Orlando.

It was a car hop at the time and one was "required" to back into a parking space - important if you wanted to show off your GTO, Mustang, Chevy Super Sport, Olds 442 (with Hurst Shifter and Glass Pack mufflers), MGB or hopped up anything else. If, like me, you were driving the family Oldsmobile station wagon (not the Vista Cruiser as featured on That '70's Show, but close) it was important to show that you could deftly maneuver tons of steel.

I vividly remember laughing my ass off as my older sister and a few of her cheerleader friends roller skated around the parking lot in something of an "in-your-face-wrench-head-greasers" demonstration.

But I digress, as usual.

My advice to him and every other freshman: Hang in there. You will soon find friends and family among classmates, staff and professors. It will be worth it.

NeuteredDoomer 07-07-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshans (Post 375256)
...important if you wanted to show off your GTO, Mustang, Chevy Super Sport, Olds 442 (with Hurst Shifter and Glass Pack mufflers)...

Seems like many of the movies I have seen lately have featured these classics...

IrishInFl 07-07-2010 02:05 AM

Steak 'n Shake has horrible fries. They're almost as bad as Wendy's fries. The burgers are ok though.

Praytorian 07-07-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishInFL (Post 375387)
Steak 'n Shake has horrible fries. They're almost as bad as Wendy's fries. The burgers are ok though.

Worse fries than Wendy's but the onion rings are quite nice.

IrishInFl 07-07-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praytorian (Post 375391)
Worse fries than Wendy's but the onion rings are quite nice.

Good baked beans too, but it's hard to screw up baked beans.

NeuteredDoomer 07-07-2010 02:36 AM

I resent anyone who speaks ill of fresh Wendy's fries. They are the most bestest. Period.

I hope Nix does well.

There.

I kept it on topic.

IrishInFL and Praytorian like ugly cars.

dshans 07-07-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishInFL (Post 375387)

OK, ya got me. I tend to romanticize. I remember the fries I ate there in the mid and late sixties. Today they may well be soggy, poorly cooked shadows of their former clean, crispy, shoestring selves. I may also have been distracted by the sweet young thangs snuggled up to me in the front seat of the trusty Olds. The shakes were good.

I toured an early McDonald's in 1960 (or so) with my Cub Scout den. Back then there was no indoor seating, just outdoor tables and benches. The thing I remember most was a a big stainless steel barrel with water jets and sharp blades to peel fresh potatoes before slicing them to fry them as French Fries. They were oh, so tasty!

Side note: does Steak n' Shake still use the tag line "In Sight They Must Be Right?"

johnnykillz 07-07-2010 06:44 AM

Nix will be alright. Its tough if you guys can remember. Even really independent (forgive the pun) guys have a hard time flying the coop.

He'll toughen up and be twice the better man as soon as he gets his head on straight.

irish4ever 07-07-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnykillz (Post 375415)
Nix will be alright ....
He'll toughen up and be twice the better man as soon as he gets his head on straight.

Like Stewart did?!?

johnnykillz 07-07-2010 03:20 PM

Easy man. No need to mix apples and oranges.

woolybug25 05-13-2011 10:47 AM

I didn't want this to get lost in the Jones thread. I have a feeling that I may need to post it again if someone ..... dare I say it...... doubts Big Lou again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolybug25 (Post 488473)
Big Lou - "What dat dude say?!"
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...ISNIXUA150.jpg

Me - That fool said "When we see the original Big Lou"

Big Lou - "Ahww... dat dude is craaazzzyy"
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../BigLouIII.jpg

Me - "Thats what he said, homie...."

Big Lou - "YOU BETTA TELL DAT FOOL TO QUIT PLAYIN'!!!"
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...g25/BigLou.jpg

Me - "Whoaaa... Big Lou.... whoa..."

Big Lou - "I'm just playin..."
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...5/BigLouII.jpg

clashmore_mike 05-13-2011 12:42 PM

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8059258_n.jpg

Rocket's Rocket Fan 05-13-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clashmore_mike (Post 488704)

I don't know what it is but I find this photo freaking terrifying.

Whiskeyjack 05-13-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket's Rocket Fan (Post 488746)
I don't know what it is but I find this photo freaking terrifying.

What if he played painted up like that?

RyCo1983 05-13-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (Post 488835)
What if he played painted up like that?

Like Lattimer straight out of "The Program"...
that'd be amazing.

Whiskeyjack 06-22-2011 06:19 PM

Via lnix67 on Twitter:

Quote:

These New ND Gloves are The best...Shoutout to @NDFBEquipment for letting me stretch them out for my favorite followers!
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...KGVozqcxJbw%3D

Chamellion 08-03-2011 12:38 AM

‪Bless the broken road-Louis nix style‬‏ - YouTube

What a boss

Domina Nostra 08-08-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamellion (Post 517297)

Just watched an interview with Louis Nix on ISD. This guy really has a great mix of personality and humility. You can tell he is hilarious. He is instantly one of my favorite players.

Between Nix, Lynch, and Tuitt, I think we have got something really special developing on this line. And what better seniors leadership could you ask for than EJ (wish he had another year), KLM, Sean and Hafis. This is going to be a fun four years.

woolybug25 08-09-2011 12:19 AM

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAQn3t_Hvkk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAQn3t_Hvkk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This one is hilarious..... I have no answers about the banana....
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvf7r9vG1fQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvf7r9vG1fQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

By far, my favorite player.

edit - wtf... why is the embed not working? I did it the same way that I always do? Somebody tell me how to fix this, please.

laying... off... of.... the..... nightcaps....

clashmore_mike 08-09-2011 01:01 AM

not working for me either.

Grahambo 08-09-2011 09:36 AM

Notre Dame football: Transformed inside and out - southbendtribune.com

GoldenIsThyFame 08-09-2011 11:36 AM

I love this kid.

Nix gets to work on Vimeo

FightingIrishLover7 08-10-2011 07:28 PM

The Fat Free Irish Chocolate

Louis Nix is becoming one of my favorite players on the team, personality wise...

Hard to imagine less than a year ago he was as homesick as could be.

Glad you found your calling Louis.

95NDAlumNM 08-31-2011 11:19 PM

I just listened to an interview of his on BGI. The more I hear him, the more I like him. He seems like a really straight forward, honest, likeable guy. I hope he achieves everything he strives for.

Riddickulous 09-21-2011 12:26 PM

IrishIllustrated.com - Video: Good to be Lou

Whiskeyjack 09-21-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddickulous (Post 548334)

I love his new-found confidence. Kid's a star.

tko 09-21-2011 12:43 PM

love this kid

fitz_bu47 09-21-2011 02:00 PM

I love Big Lou, it's a tough guy game, but you can have fun w/ it. Love his style.

rikkitikki08 09-21-2011 02:38 PM

His picture on NBC game days is one of the funniest things ever