No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a charitable event is laudable but it also makes for a less competitive fight. Still tip my hat to both of those dudes. I watched some of Tyson’s training & he was “all in”.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
      Youngest heavyweight champ ever at 20.
      Probably the most feared in his prime. His opponents looked frightened at times.
      Vicious hand speed and power and foot speed.
      I would have loved to see him in the Ali, Foreman era.
      Ali, Foreman, Frazier would have eaten Tyson alive. Out of the three, Tyson would have faired the best against Frazier because of the similar style and probably same type of testicular fortitude, but I still see Frazier as the better technical boxer.

Tyson didn't scare any of the greats he went against, he sure the hell wouldn't have scared those three.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
        Ali, Foreman, Frazier would have eaten Tyson alive. Out of the three, Tyson would have faired the best against Frazier because of the similar style and probably same type of testicular fortitude, but I still see Frazier as the better technical boxer.

Tyson didn't scare any of the greats he went against, he sure the hell wouldn't have scared those three.
        I see what your doing here... you silly bro.
        Last edited by Circa; 11-30-2020, 06:18 AM.
        I was smarter when I drank...
        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

I think Frazier would be the worst stylistic matchup for Tyson actually. It would be an ugly fight with both guys ducking and bobbing into each other all night (similar styles generally make ugly fights). Patience and timing his head movement were the keys to beating Frazier. That's how Foreman did it, twice. Ali figured it out by their second fight. Frazier was a master at mixing up his rhythm, but the best still eventually timed him. I don't see Tyson waiting on that and being able to exploit it like the longer guys that beat him (the other two in this conversation.). I think Tyson and Frazier split 5 and 5 if they fought 10 times.

I think Tyson would've beat Ali 6 out of 10 times because he was so good at cutting off the ring using his D'Amato shift and throwing hooks to wrangle opponents to where he wanted them. He could limit Ali's ability to circle the ring and jab to set up his cross. Frazier gave Ali fits, and Frazier's head movement was like half speed compared to Tyson.

I think Foreman would dominate Tyson like he did Frazier. His style and size were a nightmare for peekaboo or bob and weave fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
            I think Frazier would be the worst stylistic matchup for Tyson actually. It would be an ugly fight with both guys ducking and bobbing into each other all night (similar styles generally make ugly fights). Patience and timing his head movement were the keys to beating Frazier. That's how Foreman did it, twice. Ali figured it out by their second fight. Frazier was a master at mixing up his rhythm, but the best still eventually timed him. I don't see Tyson waiting on that and being able to exploit it like the longer guys that beat him (the other two in this conversation.). I think Tyson and Frazier split 5 and 5 if they fought 10 times.

I think Tyson would've beat Ali 6 out of 10 times because he was so good at cutting off the ring using his D'Amato shift and throwing hooks to wrangle opponents to where he wanted them. He could limit Ali's ability to circle the ring and jab to set up his cross. Frazier gave Ali fits, and Frazier's head movement was like half speed compared to Tyson.

I think Foreman would dominate Tyson like he did Frazier. His style and size were a nightmare for peekaboo or bob and weave fighters.
            Tyson was going to beat Ali 6 out of 10 times? I mean the guy literally beat no one outside of a light heavyweight champ. The only reason Spinks held the Ring HW title is because he beat Holmes at the age of 35 back when 35 was old.

The HW division was just trash (as it is now) back when Tyson was dominating. Sure he was the best in that era, but against the greats, there is no evidence to say that he could beat them, let alone beat Ali 6 out of 10 times. The closest we have is him getting dominated twice by Holyfield.

Comment

Tyson was going to beat Ali 6 out of 10 times? I mean the guy literally beat no one outside of a light heavyweight champ. The only reason Spinks held the Ring HW title is because he beat Holmes at the age of 35 back when 35 was old.

The HW division was just trash (as it is now) back when Tyson was dominating. Sure he was the best in that era, but against the greats, there is no evidence to say that he could beat them, let alone beat Ali 6 out of 10 times. The closest we have is him getting dominated twice by Holyfield.
              Yeah I agree the HW division was not very strong when Tyson ran through it. But I'm basing it on matchups and styles more than resume anyway. Holyfield is more like Foreman (who I said would dominate Tyson) than he is Ali.

Ali had a great chin and I think he would need it against Mike.

Comment

• You can say what you want, but Tyson is regularly ranked in Top 10 listings for all time great boxers. Whether he would do well against certain boxers is debatable, as different styles work well against others. The fact remains he has an impressive record, he was the youngest champion ever at the time, and he was the first to win the WBC, WBA and IBF titles and unify them. His knockout rate is one of the more impressive ones, also in the Top 10 I believe. Some only rank Marciano above him when it comes to devastating punchers.

Comment

• Conor got lazy/sloppy.
                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Yea, he got clipped. Then he should’ve tried to clear himself and get his legs underneath him but he chose to try and slug it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                      Conor got lazy/sloppy.
                      How very emerald island of him. Time to go home and grow potatoes
                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• I always enjoy seeing Connor get punched out. He is a dirt bag.

Comment

• I'm about to watch Fury-Wilder III. I hope Wilder does better this time.

Completely different Wilder and fight this time. In the first 2 rds, Wilder is the aggressor and is actually boxing and using his jab well, plus doing good body work on Fury. I'd give both rds to Wilder, but they're close.
                          Last edited by Bishop2b5; 10-09-2021, 11:07 PM.
                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Wilder was winning the 3rd and got caught by a hard right and went down late in the round. He was badly hurt, but survived.
                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Wilder looked unsteady starting the 4th and then clocked Fury, dropping him twice in the round!

5th rd was roughly even. Both look hurt and tired.

7th rd Wilder looked exhausted and got badly hurt, but didn't go down. If he doesn't catch his 2nd wind or catch Fury with a bomb, he's not going to survive.

10th rd Wilder is absolutely gassed. Fury dropped him, but Wilder got up and almost knocked Fury down in the final few seconds. Heck of a fight so far.

It's over. Wilder was completely exhausted, but kept fighting. Fury just wore him down from the 7th rd on and finally knocked him out in the 11th. Wilder lost, but he redeemed himself from the last fight. Heck of a fight!
                              Last edited by Bishop2b5; 10-09-2021, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Damn Wilder and Bama lose. Bad day for you.

Irish and the Irish Traveller win.
                                .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                  Damn Wilder and Bama lose. Bad day for you.

Irish and the Irish Traveller win.
                                  Some days you're the windshield. Some days you're the bug.

Comment

• Wilder has a ton of heart and is a physical freak. And of course his sledgehammer right.

But. Fury's footwork and feints just neutralize all of that over the course of a long fight.

Fury consistently got the outside angle and landed those right overhand/hooks behind the ear, just like he was landing last fight. I was wondering what Wilder's plan for that was going to be, because it ate him up last time. Turns out there really wasn't one. Fury's hand control is also otherwordly; he looked like Duran on the inside. Hold then punch, headlock and lean, pop out the side and punch, etc. When he is focused and in shape he is just too much for the rudimentary skills of Wilder.

Comment

• That was the best fight I've seen in a long while. Wilder isn't close to Fury's league though. I said it after the first or second round that Wilder looked gassed. Like he came out too hot or something. I will say that it seemed obvious that Wilder can take a better punch that Fury, but Fury just landed so many more and it took it's toll. I honestly don't think Wilder knocked down Fury. It seemed to me that Fury just lost his footing. By my untrained eye, I gave a round or two to Wilder...but all the rest to Fury. He's just a better more well-rounded fighter. I'm just pissed he didn't end it when he had the chance in the 9th so I could cash in on my square!

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                        That was the best fight I've seen in a long while. Wilder isn't close to Fury's league though. I said it after the first or second round that Wilder looked gassed. Like he came out too hot or something. I will say that it seemed obvious that Wilder can take a better punch that Fury, but Fury just landed so many more and it took it's toll. I honestly don't think Wilder knocked down Fury. It seemed to me that Fury just lost his footing. By my untrained eye, I gave a round or two to Wilder...but all the rest to Fury. He's just a better more well-rounded fighter. I'm just pissed he didn't end it when he had the chance in the 9th so I could cash in on my square!
                                        I think that knockdown was clean. He didn't go down right away because he was holding on. Wilder caught him behind the ear if I remember right and Fury's balance was destroyed for like 20 seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post

I think that knockdown was clean. He didn't go down right away because he was holding on. Wilder caught him behind the ear if I remember right and Fury's balance was destroyed for like 20 seconds.
                                          I'll take your word for it. I had a lot of beers Saturday :)

In seriousness, I do recall Fury looking quite off for a round. He snapped out of it, and seemed to get his second wind. So you're probably spot on and I just mis-remembered what I saw.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X