Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Boxing Thread

    If you have even a remote interest in boxing the fight you want to see is GGG - Canelo. This nonsense is just a circus. It is also insulting to real boxers who spend years honing their craft. A guy with little boxing skill and no experience getting a huge pay day and a chance to beat Mayweather (I mean its like chance I have of hitting lotto but still a chance) which should be going to a real boxer. If Floyd doesnt want a real fight stay retired and don't damage boxing. It is also ridiculous and insulting when people act like Connor has a chance because hes been training to boxing for like a year. As if Canelo, De la Hoya, Mosley, Gatti, Hatton, Manny, etc just stepped in the ring with Floyd having never boxed before. Unless Floyd is completely shot and has no legs he will dominate the fight and may even get his first KO in like 8 years once Connor is spent.

    On a seperate note despite the lack of attention boxing is actually in a really great period as far as number of quality fighters and matches. In recent past or near future matches like Ward v Kovalev, Loma v Salido 2, GGG V Canelo, Joshua v Klitschko, Mikey Garcia v Broner, have been really entertaining matchups of great fighters, its just too bad this crap is getting all the attention. Do we have a general boxing thread for myself and the 2 or so other people Im guessing have interest in boxing?

  • #2
    The Boxing Thread

    Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
    If you have even a remote interest in boxing the fight you want to see is GGG - Canelo. This nonsense is just a circus. It is also insulting to real boxers who spend years honing their craft. A guy with little boxing skill and no experience getting a huge pay day and a chance to beat Mayweather (I mean its like chance I have of hitting lotto but still a chance) which should be going to a real boxer. If Floyd doesnt want a real fight stay retired and don't damage boxing. It is also ridiculous and insulting when people act like Connor has a chance because hes been training to boxing for like a year. As if Canelo, De la Hoya, Mosley, Gatti, Hatton, Manny, etc just stepped in the ring with Floyd having never boxed before. Unless Floyd is completely shot and has no legs he will dominate the fight and may even get his first KO in like 8 years once Connor is spent.

    On a seperate note despite the lack of attention boxing is actually in a really great period as far as number of quality fighters and matches. In recent past or near future matches like Ward v Kovalev, Loma v Salido 2, GGG V Canelo, Joshua v Klitschko, Mikey Garcia v Broner, have been really entertaining matchups of great fighters, its just too bad this crap is getting all the attention. Do we have a general boxing thread for myself and the 2 or so other people Im guessing have interest in boxing?
    +1
    I'll buy the GGG/Alvarez fight but not Mayweather/Mcgregor.

    Definitely agree that boxing is in a real good spot right now, even though it's not nearly as popular as it used to be. I grew up watching Friday night fights on USA network with my dad. Good times.

    I've also had trouble finding a general boxing thread. I'm almost certain one exists but I can't find it.

    If someone could find it, that would be great. If not I'll start a new one tonight. I'd love to talk boxing.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Boxing Thread

      Any and everything boxing related. Go!
      Mods feel free to delete if needed, couldn't find another thread.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by no.1IrishFan View Post
        +1
        I'll buy the GGG/Alvarez fight but not Mayweather/Mcgregor.

        Definitely agree that boxing is in a real good spot right now, even though it's not nearly as popular as it used to be. I grew up watching Friday night fights on USA network with my dad. Good times.

        I've also had trouble finding a general boxing thread. I'm almost certain one exists but I can't find it.

        If someone could find it, that would be great. If not I'll start a new one tonight. I'd love to talk boxing.
        I would post in it. I have never lost my love for the sport. Damn shame what greed has done to its popularity though. When I was a kid, there was nothing bigger in the world than a Tyson fight.
        Originally posted by koonja
        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
          I would post in it. I have never lost my love for the sport. Damn shame what greed has done to its popularity though. When I was a kid, there was nothing bigger in the world than a Tyson fight.
          Obviously a little older than you but I remember the days of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Norton in the heavys. Then along came the Leonards, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Arguello, Benitez. Great, great fighters back in the day. The Hagler-Hearns fight remains one of the most incredible fights of all time. Just an all out war.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
            Floyd, although a great boxer no doubt, is boring to watch. Anyone remember Roy Jones Jr. knocking someone the f- out in his prime?!?! That is what the average fan wants to see.
            Roy Jones Jr. is the best that I've ever seen. He played a pro basketball game one day and defended his title that same night. People forget:

            "Floyd was in his prime while Jones was in his prime…for years and years. Not a single person on earth ever even wondered if Floyd was as good as Roy during that stretch."

            -Max Kellerman

            That being said, I can't wait for the Alvarez-GGG fight. Two of my current favs. Lomachenko is too pro-Russian for a Ukrainian.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dwshade View Post
              Obviously a little older than you but I remember the days of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Norton in the heavys. Then along came the Leonards, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Arguello, Benitez. Great, great fighters back in the day. The Hagler-Hearns fight remains one of the most incredible fights of all time. Just an all out war.
              Hagler-Hearns
              Greatest 1st Round of boxing EVER.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post
                Hagler-Hearns
                Greatest 1st Round of boxing EVER.
                Without a doubt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hammer Of The Gods View Post
                  I miss the days of Tyson, Bowe, Moorer, Morrison, hell even Briggs. Boxing sucks anymore, at least in the heavy weight division.
                  That generation didn't compare in depth to what preceded it. People didn't realize at the time the impact Ali knocking out Sonny Liston in 1964 had. Shortly after, the HW division had Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Chuvalo, Quarry and Holmes. None were afraid to go toe to toe at anytime. Go back in the record books and you'll see they fought each other multiple times.

                  Then, add on the great ones in the other divisions like Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran. The 70's and 80's may have been boxings golden era. Agree with NDFAN Hagler -/ Hearns 1st round greatest ever. Many think the fight was. Amazing the speed of Hearns hands.

                  <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9VI-M9Yw-28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                  ORIGINALLY dubbed, quite simply, “The Fight,” the world middleweight title showdown between defending and undisputed champion Marvelous Marvin Hagler and former WBA welterweight champion and reigning WBC light-middleweight boss Thomas “The Hitman” Hearns was later given the tagline of “The War” by promoter Bob Arum. What unfolded that magical night inside Caesars Palace in Las Vegas was very definitely a fight and a war.

                  Today, when looking back, Hearns, who always made it a priority to leave the paying fans feeling happy with the fight they had witnessed, is glad he was half of what is often called the greatest fight of all time:

                  “I’m definitely very proud to have been a part of that fight, for the part I played in it,” the 57-year-old says when speaking from his home.

                  “I have a lot of great memories [from that fight]. I worked hard for that fight. I’m happy that a lot of people have a lot of respect for the fight. People say they’re the three greatest rounds in boxing. Let me just say, they’re the greatest three rounds that I ever put out (laughs)”

                  Hearns stunned Hagler with his vaunted right hand, temporarily forcing Marvin’s legs to dip, the champion having to hold until his head cleared. But with the power shot, Hearns had all but seen his most effective weapon taken out of the fight. His right hand was broken and this severely handicapped his chances of winning. Today, “The Hitman” feels the KO victory would have been his had his hand not buckled under the combined force of his own withering power and the granite in Hagler’s skull.


                  “Oh yes, most definitely. I knew I had to get it,” Hearns says of the stoppage win he is sure he’d have got had his hand not failed him.

                  “But I was so exhausted after hitting him all those times and throwing so many punches in the first couple of rounds – I hit him so hard in the first round. After that, I was so tired, it didn’t really take all that much [from Hagler] to put me down.”

                  Hearns, whose legs began to appear rubbery in the second-round, wasn’t the only man in the ring who was feeling the pace. Referee Richard Steele recalls, all these years later, how “spent” he was at the conclusion of this short yet incredible fight.

                  “I was shocked at the ferocity of that fight and the pace they set,” the retired ref said in February of this year.

                  “I always made sure I stayed in shape, I did my running and everything, but after the second round, I was exhausted. I remember thinking to myself, ‘there’s no way these guys can keep up this pace.’ I was spent myself. It was just three rounds of toe-to-toe action.”

                  After the incomparable opening session, the fight raged on for a further five minutes, with the two men unleashing yet more vicious punches on one another in mesmerising fashion, before an exhausted Hearns finally fell. There was much drama crammed into the three unforgettable rounds. Somewhere during the furnace-like action of that opening round, Hagler had suffered a cut on his forehead. It wasn’t until the third and final round of the fight that the blood began pouring to the extent that referee Richard Steele felt the need to inspect the damage. It was at this point in the fight that Hagler worried how “they would try to take the fight from me.” Hagler never trusted the officials, robbed as he was sure he had been in previous bouts. A timeout was called by Steele as the ringside doctor checked Hagler over. It was here that Marvin is supposed to have uttered a few memorable words that have been quoted many times over the years.

                  Today, though, Steele says Hagler did not, in response to being asked if he could see okay, say, ‘I ain’t missing him, am I!’

                  “No, he never said that,” Steele reveals today. “He said to me there was no way he was going to lose the fight on a cut. I told him, ‘hey, I have to get a medical opinion.’ I took him to the doctor and he let him fight on and Hagler came on to knock Hearns out.”

                  A dead tired Hearns was badly staggered by a lunging Hagler right to the head, the blow sending him reeling to the ropes. The rampaging champion had not been fooled by Tommy’s attempts at feigning not being hurt. Hagler instead poured it on and found the finish he was looking for in that sizzling third round, his follow up work sending Hearns crashing to the mat. It was over and no-one who saw the fight would ever forget it.

                  It wasn’t until years later when Hearns’ legendary coach Emanuel Steward, having refused to try and tarnish Hagler’s victory in any way, spoke out about the broken hand his fighter had suffered as well as the tale of when a Hearns hanger-on made the mistake of giving the Kronk star a leg massage in the dressing room before the fight. This, Steward said, badly weakened Tommy’s legs (causing them to begin disobeying him in the second-round). Today, Hearns is reluctant to blame the leg issue for his loss.

                  “(pause) Well, things like that can happen in boxing,” Tommy says of the massage error.

                  “But Emanuel was still in my corner and we still believed we’d win the fight. But I knew I needed to do it quick. I knew I couldn’t go the distance; there was no way I could go 12-rounds. I couldn’t box that many rounds, I was so tired. So I went for the knockout.”

                  Hearns has nothing but respect for Hagler today, and vice versa. In fact, Tommy says there was no real bad blood in the lead up to the brutal eight minutes they were to share in the ring.

                  “No, there was no real disdain at all. We talked quite a bit [in the run up to the fight] and we had a lot of respect for each other. It was just a fight to see who the better man was, it was real simple: someone had to lose. I just didn’t want that [a loss] on my record (laughs)”

                  Hearns, however, did want a second go at Hagler, and he is still asking Hagler to fight him again all these years later. Hearns, as his fans know, found it very hard to walk away from the sport Hagler quit in disgust after his 1987 decision loss to Sugar Ray Leonard. The multi-weight king – who last fought in 2006, picking up a win over club fighter Shannon Landberg – still harbours ideas of lacing them up one last time.

                  “I always wanted a rematch and let me tell you, even now I tell Marvin, ‘Let’s do it one more time!’ I’d want it to be over just five-rounds though – neither of us could go 12 right now (laughs). But the whole world would go crazy, and for just a five-round fight. They would pay enormous money to see that. It would get the whole world crazy and it would be massive.”

                  Of course the fight has absolutely no chance of happening now, yet a rematch would have proved intriguing back in 1986 or ’87. Tommy says he would have pretty much fought Hagler the same way if there had been a part-two.

                  “I’d have used my boxing skills more [in a rematch] but I’d have still tried to get him outta there. That was my instinct back then, my mindset, to get the KO. I’d still have tried to lay him out.”

                  Hagler goes as far as to call the win over Hearns the highlight of his career. Speaking at a dinner show a few months back, Hagler shared the following words with the gathering.

                  “That particular fight was the very highlight of my career,” 61-year-old Hagler says of his triumph over Hearns when looking back on his great accomplishments.

                  “The Tommy Hearns fight, it was just so much excitement and to this day I give Tommy a lot of credit. He came to take my title. I get chills every time I see our fight. I get chills just talking about it. That third-round, [at the time] I didn’t even think about it [the torrid pace]. You train so hard, that when you go into a fight you should be able to go in there almost blindfolded. My combinations were coming out without me even thinking and the fight just became a war. Tommy caught me with some punches, but as I’d told him I would, I came after him just like [1980s arcade game] Pac-Man!”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post
                    Roy Jones Jr. is the best that I've ever seen. He played a pro basketball game one day and defended his title that same night. People forget:

                    "Floyd was in his prime while Jones was in his prime…for years and years. Not a single person on earth ever even wondered if Floyd was as good as Roy during that stretch."

                    -Max Kellerman

                    That being said, I can't wait for the Alvarez-GGG fight. Two of my current favs. Lomachenko is too pro-Russian for a Ukrainian.
                    I go back a long way and absolutely love both sports. I remember when Floyd was fighting 4 round fights on Shobox and anyone including Max Kellerman (whom I also like) that couldn't see he was on another level, like one of the "very best ever" levels, wasn't paying close enough attention.

                    Nothing against Roy Jones, phenomenal athlete, excellent boxer, but everyone who stepped in the ring with him saw that he made a lot of technical mistakes, the issue was always are you fast enough to catch him. Most weren't. Until he got older, time allowed a lot of folks to catch him in the latter part of his career, many people knew that day would come. Floyd may be distasteful personally, but inside the ring he is truly a savant. His temperament and decision to take the easy route in fights and with picking opponents is an anathema, but his natural and physical abilities are off the charts. IMO you have to go back a good ways to find his equal.

                    I like Conor, respect his fight skills a lot, respect his fighting mentality, don't think he stands a chance in a boxing match against Floyd. No shame almost no one did, and he'll make a fortune.
                    Last edited by Redbar; 06-23-2017, 03:32 PM.
                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                      I go back a long way and absolutely love both sports. I remember when Floyd was fighting 4 round fights on Shobox and anyone including Max Kellerman (whom I also like) that couldn't see he was on another level, like one of the very best ever levels, was paying close enough attention.

                      Nothing against Roy Jones, phenomenal athlete, excellent boxer, but everyone who stepped in the ring with him saw that he made a lot of technical mistakes, the issue was always are you fast enough to catch him. Most weren't. Until he got older, time allowed a lot of folks to catch him in the latter part of his career, many people knew that day would come. Floyd may be distasteful personally, but inside the ring he is truly a savant. His temperament and decision to take the easy route in fights and with picking opponents is an anathema, but his natural and physical abilities are off the charts. IMO you have to go back a good ways to find his equal.

                      I like Conor, respect his fight skills a lot, respect his fighting mentality, don't think he stands a chance in a boxing match against Floyd. No shame almost no one did, and he'll make a fortune.
                      Roy Jones could put some combinations together that were great to watch. He was entertaining. I also enjoyed watching Chavez. He'd take five punches without blinking to rattle someone's brain with one shot. Absolute warrior. Floyd just doesn't have the same type of appeal b/c he's a defensive fighter, and he's incredibly efficient - he barely moves to slip punches, his head is constantly moving and he controls the distance of his opponents like they're on a yoyo. He just stays calm and dismantles everyone he faces systematically. He's a microcosm of why the sport is referred to as the sweet science.
                      Last edited by Wild Bill ; 06-23-2017, 04:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        @mods - can we move the General Boxing comments to the boxing thread made yesterday? I would like to see that thread get its due.
                        Originally posted by koonja
                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Aye, captain.

                          Posts will get moved shortly

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pac man for free next Saturday on ESPN.
                            I haven't seen Horn fight yet.
                            Any predictions?

                            Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn next Saturday on ESPN » Boxing News

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by no.1IrishFan View Post
                              Pac man for free next Saturday on ESPN.
                              I haven't seen Horn fight yet.
                              Any predictions?

                              Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn next Saturday on ESPN » Boxing News
                              Pac by split decision. Doesn't Maryweather fight some Ultimate Fighting champ soon? That will be interesting.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by no.1IrishFan View Post
                                Pac man for free next Saturday on ESPN.
                                I haven't seen Horn fight yet.
                                Any predictions?

                                Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn next Saturday on ESPN » Boxing News
                                Thanks for creating a boxing thread!

                                As to the fight Pacquiao needs to have a dominant win. Jeff Horn is a part time boxer, part time school teacher. Hopefully after this fight Manny gives Terrence Crawford serious consideration instead of looking for easy money fights. I am happy this fight is on ESPN as boxing desperately needs more exposure and hopefully Manny will score a KO that will excite the casual fan.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Mosley Jr and Toussaint undercard fight starting now.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Great story..... but a fucking travesty decision. A great fight on free TV to help entice a new generation of fans totally ruined by the very thing that is killing boxing right now: corruption. To all the fans who can't pay to see the stars and wanted to see what boxing really is, well they got it-- pure corruption and pre written scoredcards. Boxing fights should never be allowed in a persons hometown.

                                    Congratulation to Jeff Horn.
                                    BTW I'm a huge mayweather fan and and am not too big on Manny but I respect him as the boxing icon he is.
                                    Last edited by phillyirish; 07-02-2017, 12:09 AM.
                                    .....Before I Get Out

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Highway robbery. Great fight to watch though.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Total punches - Pacquiao 182 to 92
                                        Power Punches - Pacquiao 123 to 73

                                        I mean... that's just comical.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          1. Amazing fight to watch.

                                          2. Decisions like this are why some people have grown to hate boxing. Pac won the fight.

                                          3. Pac won the fight.

                                          4. Pac won the fight.

                                          5. Hats off to Horn.

                                          6. Pac won the fight.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Atrocious decision, but loved getting some free boxing action on network tv. All the fights on the card were high action and highly enjoyable. Love me some Teddy Atlas, too, and he was as entertaining as ever.

                                            Also, a boxing thread! I love it! Should definitely get some good action coming up what with Canelo/GGG and other scheduled fights. Lots of exciting boxers coming up, most importantly for the sport in the heavyweight division. Anyone who saw the absolutely amazing Klitschko/Joshua fight earlier this year got a glimpse of the future of the division, and with other fighters like American Deontay Wilder in the fold, as well, it's gonna be an exciting time for boxing.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                              Total punches - Pacquiao 182 to 92
                                              Power Punches - Pacquiao 123 to 73

                                              I mean... that's just comical.
                                              Yep. You cant just go off of punch stats to judge a fight but this has been the lowest amount of punches landed on pacquiao in any recent fight.

                                              Even Chris Algieri a bum of similar standard to Horn and who lost on scorecards of 120, 119, 119, landed 108 on pacquiao.

                                              It was an entertaining event. It would have been a great story as it was: Journeyman, everyday working average Joe going toe-toe with a legend. Almost getting knocked out to survive till the end of the fight. Literally the script of rocky........ the first and best one. But no rocky wouldnt have been a great story if he survived the brutal beat down to be rewarded with a robbery.

                                              Seriously dumbest thing Ive seen all day..... And I that includes the ridiculous notion I read earlier of the Clippers selling blake griffin as comparable to the icons of the human history:

                                              .....Before I Get Out

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by NDokie13 View Post
                                                Atrocious decision, but loved getting some free boxing action on network tv. All the fights on the card were high action and highly enjoyable. Love me some Teddy Atlas, too, and he was as entertaining as ever.

                                                Also, a boxing thread! I love it! Should definitely get some good action coming up what with Canelo/GGG and other scheduled fights. Lots of exciting boxers coming up, most importantly for the sport in the heavyweight division. Anyone who saw the absolutely amazing Klitschko/Joshua fight earlier this year got a glimpse of the future of the division, and with other fighters like American Deontay Wilder in the fold, as well, it's gonna be an exciting time for boxing.
                                                Have to disagree with you on this. Boxing actually seems to be the one sport where I actually enjoy most of the commentators. HBO and Showtime are both awesome. I like Joe Tesitore as well. Timothy Bradley did an ok job today, other than a few huge misses like thinking he was in Argentina. But Teddy Atlas has lost something over the years and I almost had to mute the fight when he was orgasming in the 9th round. Max Kellerman is the best in the business, im not sure why they didnt use him. I wonder if he has some sort of non-compete clause since he does boxing or HBO still. Typical of ESPN though, waste his talents by making a mockery of him working with Stephen A on first take all day.
                                                .....Before I Get Out

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                  Have to disagree with you on this. Boxing actually seems to be the one sport where I actually enjoy most of the commentators. HBO and Showtime are both awesome. I like Joe Tesitore as well. Timothy Bradley did an ok job today, other than a few huge misses like thinking he was in Argentina. But Teddy Atlas has lost something over the years and I almost had to mute the fight when he was orgasming in the 9th round. Max Kellerman is the best in the business, im not sure why they didnt use him. I wonder if he has some sort of non-compete clause since he does boxing or HBO still. Typical of ESPN though, waste his talents by making a mockery of him working with Stephen A on first take all day.
                                                  I could definitely see him being abrasive or obnoxious to a lot of viewers. For whatever reason, I tend to like all his old-school boxing talk and sometimes explosive style. At the very least, he's definitely a guy with a facinating life story.

                                                  And yeah, Kellerman would've been great, but like you said, I'd be shocked if HBO would actually let him broadcast a fight on another network.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Great fight, terrible decision. The most charitable explanation I can come up with is that the judges were holding Pac to an unreasonably high standard. Most people thought Pac was going to bury Horn early. But then, not only does Pac not get the KO, Horn holds on and goes toe-to-toe with him the whole way. I don't see how anyone with even a passing knowledge of boxing could have given that decision to Horn. I was so sure Pac had it won that I left as soon as the last round was over; not thinking that the decision would go any way but for Pac.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      I fell asleep and missed the fight. So pissed now.
                                                      God, Country, Notre Dame

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
                                                        I fell asleep and missed the fight. So pissed now.
                                                        It was certainly one of the more fun fights I've personally watched in probably 5 years. And it was awesome that it was free.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          While the Mayweather/McGregor fight is sucking all the oxygen out of the room this past weekend featured a really good triple header on HBO Boxing After Dark. Joe Smith Jr. (who knocked a 50 year old Bernard Hopkins out of the ring) knocked Sulivan Barrera down in the 1st round but the Cuban Barrera then proceeded to dominate the next 9 rounds. In the next match Jezreel Corrales was given all he can handle and then some by a tough Mexican fighter named Castellanos. The fight came to a premature end due to an accidental head butt and while Corrales eked by on the cards I think a rematch is definitely in order. In the main event Miguel Berchelt convincingly defeated Takashi Miura despite some wicked body shots from Miura. Berchelt was a superior boxer while also showing great toughness and a solid chin. Berchelt has earned the right to face off against some of the best at 130, maybe even setting up a bout with Lomachenko.

                                                          Plenty of more promising fights on deck. In two weeks Mikey Garcia takes on Adrien Broner in what is guaranteed to be an entertaining fight. Mikey seems on track for big things, while Broner is trending in the opposite direction and this looks like a make or break bout for him. Then, two more big showcase bouts on ESPN in August. Lomachenko is up first against a nondescript opponent, doubt it will be much of a contest but never miss a chance to see Loma. Last but not least Terence Crawford and Julius Indongo square off August 19th in Lincoln, NE. The winner will hold all 4 belts and be only the 4th time we have a 4 belt unified title holder. I expect Terence will unify then move up to 147 to take on the likes of Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman, and Errol Spence after which he will be heralded as the best pound for pound boxer in the world. Crawford-Indongo is the weekend of my birthday and i just got a ticket today as a bday present for myself.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            This new trend of espn fights is just what boxing has been needing. Especially looking forward to seeing Garcia fight again.
                                                            Originally posted by koonja
                                                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                              This new trend of espn fights is just what boxing has been needing. Especially looking forward to seeing Garcia fight again.
                                                              I agree the ESPN fights could be huge for boxing. They promoted Horn Pacquiao really well and hope for more of the same going forward. Curious how it plays out as both Terence Crawford and Lomachenko are much better than Pacman at this point and Terence's fight is a huge four belt unification bout, really interested to see how ESPN builds that up in comparison to an aged but well known fighter like Manny.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Robert Guerrero got knocked down 5 times this past weekend, and has now called it quits.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Sooo...Lomachenko dominated Marriaga last night. Dude's pressure is nonstop and he just doesn't let his opponents breathe. His footwork and vision are so good it's unreal. Never seen anything quite like it.

                                                                  I'm admittedly not a huge boxing fan anymore (still a fan tho) but is there anyone out there around his weight that could give him a decent fight? I know there's Terence Crawford a couple weight classes up but that seems like a big jump. I'd still love to see it tho cuz Loma just toys with everyone else and he wouldn't be able to do that with Crawford. Then again...Crawford has a pretty good test coming up with Indongo.

                                                                  I just want to see Lomachenko tested. Just not sure who's out there to do it. Anyone with more knowledge on the current boxing landscape know of anyone?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Terence would be too much for Loma, but there are others out there that would make for great matchups.

                                                                    Guillermo Rigondeaux is an undefeated Cuban fighter with an amateur career of similar legendary pedigree as Loma. He is smaller and they would have to meet at a catch weight, also not a big monetary draw while a major threat makes this an unlikely fight.

                                                                    Gervonta Tank Davis does not have the necessary ring experience for this fight yet imo but he has the devastating power to make for an intriguing option.

                                                                    Mikey Garcia is coming off a dominant win against Adrien Broner and would make for a very tough opponent at 135. I would favor Mikey in this hypothetical matchup.

                                                                    Miguel Berchelt has looked good recently and would make for a tough out.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
                                                                      Terence would be too much for Loma, but there are others out there that would make for great matchups.

                                                                      Guillermo Rigondeaux is an undefeated Cuban fighter with an amateur career of similar legendary pedigree as Loma. He is smaller and they would have to meet at a catch weight, also not a big monetary draw while a major threat makes this an unlikely fight.

                                                                      Gervonta Tank Davis does not have the necessary ring experience for this fight yet imo but he has the devastating power to make for an intriguing option.

                                                                      Mikey Garcia is coming off a dominant win against Adrien Broner and would make for a very tough opponent at 135. I would favor Mikey in this hypothetical matchup.

                                                                      Miguel Berchelt has looked good recently and would make for a tough out.
                                                                      I would like to see him fight Terence or Garcia. I too think Loma would lose to both, but I think they would be magnificent fights. It would definitely be a career defining bout for them as well. Those are the type of matchup fans deserve.
                                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                        I would like to see him fight Terence or Garcia. I too think Loma would lose to both, but I think they would be magnificent fights. It would definitely be a career defining bout for them as well. Those are the type of matchup fans deserve.
                                                                        I agree with you on Garcia. Terence I would rather see move up to welterweight and take on the likes of Errol Spence and Keith Thurman.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Huge fight tomorrow night in Lincoln, NE. Terence Crawford one of the top 5 p4p fighters in the world faces Julius Indongo in a fight to unify all 5 belts in the 140 lb division. First unified champ since Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopkins. Indongo is very tall for 140 and has great length. He was relatively unknown until his last two fights winning tough contests on the road in Russia and Scotland and collecting a couple belts. Indongo is a southpaw. Crawford is as talented as they come and a truly elitw fighter. I think Indongo will pose problems with his length but in the end Crawford will simply be too much for him. After unifying I think Crawford moves up and begins fighting the top welterweights. ESPN will be airing the fight.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
                                                                            Huge fight tomorrow night in Lincoln, NE. Terence Crawford one of the top 5 p4p fighters in the world faces Julius Indongo in a fight to unify all 5 belts in the 140 lb division. First unified champ since Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopkins. Indongo is very tall for 140 and has great length. He was relatively unknown until his last two fights winning tough contests on the road in Russia and Scotland and collecting a couple belts. Indongo is a southpaw. Crawford is as talented as they come and a truly elitw fighter. I think Indongo will pose problems with his length but in the end Crawford will simply be too much for him. After unifying I think Crawford moves up and begins fighting the top welterweights. ESPN will be airing the fight.
                                                                            I got this set on the dvr as I wont be home during it. Looking forward to it though. Don't forget that Crawford is a "switch hitter", so it will be interesting how he comes out against a southpaw. It's kinda funny over the last month or so how many awesome fights have been on regular tv. Ironically, the worst actual fight (Mayweather v McGregor) is the pay per view fight. The Crawford v Indongo could end up being the best one (although the Lomachenko v Marriaga was utterly dope) of them all and casual boxing fans probably don't even know the fight is happening or who either of them are.

                                                                            I truly feel we may be entering into a Renaissance Period with boxing. We have a young batch of incredible boxers all meeting their prime at the same time. Meanwhile, it seems like we are turning a corner where we will actually be able to see the fights again. As much as we give ESPN crap, their Fight Night is the best thing to happen to boxing since Tyson.
                                                                            Originally posted by koonja
                                                                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                              I got this set on the dvr as I wont be home during it. Looking forward to it though. Don't forget that Crawford is a "switch hitter", so it will be interesting how he comes out against a southpaw. It's kinda funny over the last month or so how many awesome fights have been on regular tv. Ironically, the worst actual fight (Mayweather v McGregor) is the pay per view fight. The Crawford v Indongo could end up being the best one (although the Lomachenko v Marriaga was utterly dope) of them all and casual boxing fans probably don't even know the fight is happening or who either of them are.

                                                                              I truly feel we may be entering into a Renaissance Period with boxing. We have a young batch of incredible boxers all meeting their prime at the same time. Meanwhile, it seems like we are turning a corner where we will actually be able to see the fights again. As much as we give ESPN crap, their Fight Night is the best thing to happen to boxing since Tyson.

                                                                              Spot on man, agree with everything you said. My wife and I are actually making the drive to Lincoln and Im going to the fight as a late bday present. Crawford fought southpaw in hos last fight against Diaz another southpaw, so I wouldnt be surprised to see the same versus Indongo.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                I watched a YouTube video of Julian Jackson's best hits this week. Holy cow, that dude had serious power in both hands. He didn't stun or stagger people. When he connected, they dropped like they'd been shot and then twitched for 30 seconds.
                                                                                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Fight of the decade coming up this weekend. Sad that this fight is not garnering the same attention that the circus did, but I am glad it is still getting discussed on ESPN and hopefully a lot of people tune in. It is rare to get two truly elite level boxers, still in their prime, facing off against one another. Even better Canelo and GGG have styles that should create a very exciting, fan friendly fight. GGG is always coming forward, working behind an amazing jab to setup deadly power shots. Canelo is always looking for the counter and has no issue with fighting off the ropes. This one could be a classic. I like GGG to score the KO in 10.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
                                                                                    Fight of the decade coming up this weekend. Sad that this fight is not garnering the same attention that the circus did, but I am glad it is still getting discussed on ESPN and hopefully a lot of people tune in. It is rare to get two truly elite level boxers, still in their prime, facing off against one another. Even better Canelo and GGG have styles that should create a very exciting, fan friendly fight. GGG is always coming forward, working behind an amazing jab to setup deadly power shots. Canelo is always looking for the counter and has no issue with fighting off the ropes. This one could be a classic. I like GGG to score the KO in 10.
                                                                                    I have been looking forward to this fight for a while now. I really like both fighters but I have Canelo by TKO in the 9th or 10th. However you are correct these two are going to put on a hell of a fight. Hopefully like Ward vs Gatti 1.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishcop View Post
                                                                                      I have been looking forward to this fight for a while now. I really like both fighters but I have Canelo by TKO in the 9th or 10th. However you are correct these two are going to put on a hell of a fight. Hopefully like Ward vs Gatti 1.
                                                                                      I don't think it will stylistically look like a Gatti Ward fight (but really what fight ever does) because neither will trade in the pocket for 3 minutes straight like that. But entertainment wise it might come close. It's going to be aggressive but technical from both guys. It will be awesome. Canelos counter punching and GGG's shifting and rythm changes will be so interesting against one another.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        GGG in 8 is my bet.
                                                                                        All I know is the damn vbook better open up.
                                                                                        RIP KMC 4/15/13

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Rooting for Canelo. Young guy...a bit older than myself... looks like a bro. Also...a ginger Mexican? How can you not root for this guy?

                                                                                          Catholic>Orthodox
                                                                                          Based Mullet Kid owns

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Yeah, this is the best fight we've had in years. Really like both guys, but I think GGG is just too much for Canelo to handle. TKO by the 10th.
                                                                                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              I dont think they will equal the volume of punches and sheer physical onslaught of Gatti Ward, we may never see that again, but for a fight of two true superstars this should be about as much action as one could hope for. Both fighters are too skilled to trade blows for 12 rounds but neither are afraid to exchange and both are looking to make a statement. Could be a historic fight.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                After GGG's last fight, the experts started coming out saying that he might be showing weakness since that fight went the distance after a long string of consecutive KO's. I think it could make him even more dangerous. His boxing IQ was already superior before that fight. If he realizes he doesn't have to KO every opponent he faces and developed more patience... Lookout. I like Canelo as well but if he doesn't KO him out by round 5, I think he is in trouble.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  This fight is awesome because I have no interest in it other than "let's see a good fight."

                                                                                                  I don't have to watch this one like I did Mayweather/Pacquiao or Mayweather/McGregor, hoping for a guy to lose even though I know there's no chance he will.

                                                                                                  It will be nice to just sit back and be entertained by world-class boxing.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                                                                    Rooting for Canelo. Young guy...a bit older than myself... looks like a bro. Also...a ginger Mexican? How can you not root for this guy?

                                                                                                    Catholic>Orthodox
                                                                                                    His first name is Saul as well.
                                                                                                    Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X