NBA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
    Celtics yikes - gotta be trying to make a move from Dame or Beal right? Maybe Luka? If thats the case, im not sure I understand shipping off a first rounder, and why not just include kemba in your deal for one of those guys?
    It's without a doubt a salary dump.

Celtics also have no coach right now.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• 1. Phoenix, please help save America one more time and get rid of the Clippers.

2. Injuries have really had a serious impact on these playoffs, the obvious scenario being the Bucks beating the Nets in 7 games. That said, I cry no tears for the Nets, but man KD was absolutely awesome in that series. I'm happy that the Bucks are moving on but KD showed what a baller he really is in that series. Hardcore to the max.

3. Loving the Atlanta Hawks story though I am afraid this will be more about Philly's failure, in particular Simmons. It boils down to three likeable teams and the Clippers left. LFG.
      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Lots of injuries for sure. I wonder how much "load management" has played into this. Maybe it is having the opposite effect than intended?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
          Lots of injuries for sure. I wonder how much "load management" has played into this. Maybe it is having the opposite effect than intended?
          I have severe doubts that's the case. They played a 72 game regular season that started December 22nd. An 82 game season pre Covid typically starts right after Halloween during the first week fo November. The teams that went the deepest into the 2020 Bubble all went out early. Under normal circumstances, by now, the Finals would be over or just about over. We're just starting the conference finals.

The last time they started in December was 2011 during the lockout. They cut that season down to only 72 games and it was one of the most injury riddled seasons in NBA history.

It seems similar to the English Premier League and the injuries that were happening there. Consdensed schedule of games after a shorter offseason due to Covid. Guys are getting hurt.

Comment

• Doc Rivers says they have a plan to address Ben Simmons shooting. No one has tried in 5 years?!?

The plan should be to move on and get something in return before you have to over pay.
            Prehistoric

Comment

• Injuries are always part of basketball playoffs and often play a major role in who wins it all. This season may have been a condensed 72 game season but almost none of those injured played anywhere close to that many. Kyrie and Kawai played in the low 50’s, AD (who is always hurt) played 36. Harden played 44, Lebron played 42.
              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                Injuries are always part of basketball playoffs and often play a major role in who wins it all. This season may have been a condensed 72 game season but almost none of those injured played anywhere close to that many. Kyrie and Kawai played in the low 50’s, AD (who is always hurt) played 36. Harden played 44, Lebron played 42.
                So the question is did they miss those games from load management or injury.
                Prehistoric

Comment

So the question is did they miss those games from load management or injury.
                  Hard to say. Some guys like AD are injury prone. Harden is usually reliable but he obviously came into the season out of shape, so I was not surprised he battled a soft tissue injury all year. Kyrie seems to get injured every season but this year's had nothing to do with load management (turned his ankle after landing on a defenders foot). Kawhi also had kind of a freak injury after getting fouled.

Would be interesting to see if guys who practice the whole load management thing actually have less injuries. Doesn't seem like it.
                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Hard to say. Some guys like AD are injury prone. Harden is usually reliable but he obviously came into the season out of shape, so I was not surprised he battled a soft tissue injury all year. Kyrie seems to get injured every season but this year's had nothing to do with load management (turned his ankle after landing on a defenders foot). Kawhi also had kind of a freak injury after getting fouled.

Would be interesting to see if guys who practice the whole load management thing actually have less injuries. Doesn't seem like it.
                    Funny that load management has come to be in vogue the last five years, similar to pitcher going no more than 5 or 6 innings. Players used to play every game, pitchers threw 8 or 9 innings and professional FB players held summer jobs. They didn't have the training, nutrition and medical care they do now, but went the distance.

Comment

Funny that load management has come to be in vogue the last five years, similar to pitcher going no more than 5 or 6 innings. Players used to play every game, pitchers threw 8 or 9 innings and professional FB players held summer jobs. They didn't have the training, nutrition and medical care they do now, but went the distance.
                      income has went through the roof too. You dont see your non-stars playing load management games because they cant afford to. However, your stars also play far more minutes on the nights they do play, have the ball more, etc. which all lead to more likely being injured.
                      Prehistoric

Comment

Doc Rivers says they have a plan to address Ben Simmons shooting. No one has tried in 5 years?!?

The plan should be to move on and get something in return before you have to over pay.
                        He's 24 years old, so I guess there is time, but I think a change of scenery is truly the trick here.

Comment

• Please, Phoenix, finish them off. Two more. Please.

Comment

• Paul George being Paul George. SMH

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                              Paul George being Paul George. SMH
                              he hit those two baskets and I thought man he might put the team on his back for once. Then holy shit. damn near threw the ball away on an inbounds, doinks two free throws, and is too worried about where his feet are on the final inbounds to get a shot off before the buzzer. OUCH
                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Sooooooo true of this colossal group of dickheads. Been this way for a few years.

Just a highly unlikable group of people. Serge Ibaka is alright.

Comment

• Excellent hire. He's about to turn 44 and started his assistant coaching under Poppovich.

Comment

• I assume by now that everyone is taking the Atlanta Hawks seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                      I assume by now that everyone is taking the Atlanta Hawks seriously.
                                      I wonder if the Pacers are?
                                      The Hawks coach seems to be doing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

I wonder if the Pacers are?
                                        The Hawks coach seems to be doing well.
                                        Since McMillan took over in March, they're the best team in the East in every possible way you look at the numbers.

Trae Young is also a star, if we're all being totally honest.

Comment

• Pacers are going with Rick Carlisle. 4 years, $29 million.

Comment

Since McMillan took over in March, they're the best team in the East in every possible way you look at the numbers.

Trae Young is also a star, if we're all being totally honest.
                                            On record, I thought Trae Young was going to flop in the NBA. It was one of the few certainties I remember having during that draft.

I was terribly wrong.

Comment

Pacers are going with Rick Carlisle. 4 years, $29 million.

Freaking pumped

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

On record, I thought Trae Young was going to flop in the NBA. It was one of the few certainties I remember having during that draft.

I was terribly wrong.
                                                You were not alone, I assure you of that.

Comment

• Carlisle is good hire IMO. He did pretty well the first time around.

Comment

Carlisle is good hire IMO. He did pretty well the first time around.
                                                    Sounds like he was their guy. They did a phone interview with Brian Shaw to check the diversity box and then hired Carlisle. LOL.

Since his title with Dallas a decade ago, he had 6 first round playoff exits and four years they missed the playoffs entirely. He turns 62 in October.

I like Rick Carlisle, but I like the hire a lot less from a neutral point of view.

Comment

Sounds like he was their guy. They did a phone interview with Brian Shaw to check the diversity box and then hired Carlisle. LOL.

Since his title with Dallas a decade ago, he had 6 first round playoff exits and four years they missed the playoffs entirely. He turns 62 in October.

I like Rick Carlisle, but I like the hire a lot less from a neutral point of view.
                                                      It doesn't get me excited, but for what's available it works. He's perfect for keeping the Pacers in purgatory.

Comment

It doesn't get me excited, but for what's available it works. He's perfect for keeping the Pacers in purgatory.
                                                        They're also in the East, where fortunes can change rather quickly.

Comment

• Reports that Chauncey Billups will be named HC of the Portland Trailblazers.

Another former point guard.

Comment

• Mavericks, Pelicans, Magic and Wizards still open.

Comment

• Denver Nuggets associate head coach Wes Unseld Jr. is emerging as the leader to be the Washington Wizards’ new head coach. Tremendously good news. He was in line for the Magic job, but they went with Mosely from the Mavericks. Which was also a pretty good hire.

Giannis' block last night is an all timer. I hope Milwaukee can see this through somehow. Phoenix is very likable, however, but I want Giannis to get his title now. Good kid and an incredible story.

Comment

• Took until the game was over to get replays of the Giannis block - one of the all time great plays in Finals history in a clutch moment and they can't even recognize it in real time. NBA sucks so bad on so many levels - I'm watching for Pat C fan and former MKE resident band wagon Bucks fan. Style of play is just chuck and run - any time I tried to watch during the season I didn't last long.

The officials refusing to call foul #6 on Booker with a full tackle on top of all of the other completely inconsistent garbage calls was just ridiculous. Suns will win - Bucks aren't good enough to win 5vs8. Giannis is an amazing player and just gets no respect from the announcers and ESPN who can't stop slobbering on Chris Paul long enough to acknowledge anything else.

I do like seeing Pat play a key roll in the Bucks success.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                  The officials refusing to call foul #6 on Booker with a full tackle on top of all of the other completely inconsistent garbage calls was just ridiculous.
                                                                  The reffing in this series has been atrocious all around. At least two of the "fouls" called on Booker were total bullsh!t, particularly #5 which forced Monty to bench him when he was red hot. If that doesn't happen, the Suns probably win. The missed foul #6 didn't end up mattering anyway.

Giannis is an amazing player and just gets no respect from the announcers and ESPN who can't stop slobbering on Chris Paul long enough to acknowledge anything else.
                                                                  CP3 was hot garbage last night. Worst I've ever seen him play in arguably the biggest game of his career. Aging future HOFer willing his young team to victory in his (likely) last chance for a 'ship? Better turn the ball over 5 times en route to 10 points on 5-13 shooting. Gimme a f*cking break.

Offensive Boards: Bucks 17 - 5 Suns.
                                                                  TOs: Suns 17 - 5 Bucks.

On those two stats alone, the Bucks had a 24 possession disparity. And the Suns still only lost by 6! Hate watching them beat themselves like this. Should be heading back to Phoenix up 3-1.

I do like seeing Pat play a key roll in the Bucks success.
                                                                  Agreed. He's been great.

Comment

• Only other job open besides the Wizards is the Pelicans job. Would love to see Jacque Vaughn get it, but he might be totally content with being with Nash with the Nets.

Comment

• Haven't watched any of the games, just checked the scores. NBA has to do something. It's lost most of it's entertainment value IMO.

Comment

Haven't watched any of the games, just checked the scores. NBA has to do something. It's lost most of it's entertainment value IMO.
                                                                        I’ve watched a couple playoff games so far including game 3 of the finals and I’ve been unimpressed and bored at times. Offensive possessions get way too stale with just one on ones or pick and rolls. It’s very rare to see good ball movement and likewise good player movement.
                                                                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Haven't watched any of the games, just checked the scores. NBA has to do something. It's lost most of it's entertainment value IMO.
                                                                          How are you able to judge the entertainment value of something you are not actually watching?

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post

I’ve watched a couple playoff games so far including game 3 of the finals and I’ve been unimpressed and bored at times. Offensive possessions get way too stale with just one on ones or pick and rolls. It’s very rare to see good ball movement and likewise good player movement.
                                                                            If you long for the midrange game of yesteryear, this Finals series is the one for you.

Comment

How are you able to judge the entertainment value of something you are not actually watching?
                                                                              I'm judging it from what I've seen during the regular season of this and last year. There are several here at work I discuss sports with. They echo the same sentiment and aren't near my age. I don't begrudge players from moving around and grabbing the cash, but it's really hard to identify with teams anymore because of this. Before all of this constant movement even casual fans knew 5 or 6 players on a lot of teams. Even if it wasn't the Pacers I knew who was on the teams in the finals and what the players strengths are. Today it's hard to know more than one or two on a handful of teams. This has led to the demise of real rivalries IMO. It's more like mercenaries moving to the next battle.

Comment

• Is there a sport (league) now that people think is at it's all time high? As long as I've been alive people have said "______, isn't as good as it used to be". I'm old enough now that I remember people shitting on an era that is now held up as being a great time. I hear the same thing about other sports I've relatively recently gotten into (F1, EPL, etc...)

I'd say the NFL is as good as it has ever been. Of course, I'm a Tampa fan so I'm probably biased. The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.

Comment

Is there a sport (league) now that people think is at it's all time high? As long as I've been alive people have said "______, isn't as good as it used to be". I'm old enough now that I remember people shitting on an era that is now held up as being a great time. I hear the same thing about other sports I've relatively recently gotten into (F1, EPL, etc...)

I'd say the NFL is as good as it has ever been. Of course, I'm a Tampa fan so I'm probably biased. The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.
                                                                                  Basketball is the only one for me that I say that about. I watch football and soccer pretty regularly and enjoy it all the time. I’m pretty bored with basketball these days including college. Baseball I’ve never really watched until the playoffs.
                                                                                  Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

If you long for the midrange game of yesteryear, this Finals series is the one for you.
                                                                                    It’s not the midrange game that I need to see. I could be entertained with the Spurs and warriors a couple years ago and they obviously shot a ton of threes because they had great offensive sets and ball movement but they were really the only teams that would do that. I haven’t seen any of that in the last couple of years. Mostly just one action or pick and rolls. Just gets boring to watch.
                                                                                    Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post

It’s not the midrange game that I need to see. I could be entertained with the Spurs and warriors a couple years ago and they obviously shot a ton of threes because they had great offensive sets and ball movement but they were really the only teams that would do that. I haven’t seen any of that in the last couple of years. Mostly just one action or pick and rolls. Just gets boring to watch.
                                                                                      I'm not a big fan of all the iso and pick and roll that gets played in the NBA. My favorite team of the last decade or so was the 2014 Spurs. Unbelievable ball movement. Loved how they just destroyed Miami to the point that Lebron bailed. Those Heat guys finally just gave up chasing them around. Was beautiful to watch. The Warriors were also very fun to watch.

Comment

Is there a sport (league) now that people think is at it's all time high? As long as I've been alive people have said "______, isn't as good as it used to be". I'm old enough now that I remember people shitting on an era that is now held up as being a great time. I hear the same thing about other sports I've relatively recently gotten into (F1, EPL, etc...)

You were born in '97 or later? I wouldn't have guess that.

Comment

• Suns are done
                                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

The shotmaking and athleticism of the NBA is off the chart. College basketball sucks. College football is about the same, flawed but great.
                                                                                            This.

I hope the Bucks can close it out. Giannis getting a title is going to own the haters.

Comment

• The Wizards hiring Wes Unseld Jr. is fantastic. The guy has put in the time. 45 years old and has been grinding as an assistant for nearly 20 years.

Comment

This.

I hope the Bucks can close it out. Giannis getting a title is going to own the haters.
                                                                                                He has haters?

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

He has haters?
                                                                                                  He will after this year because winning creates them. But yeah, right now he's basically hate-proof. He's like the cool foreign exchange student in high school who comes from nothing, is happy to be here, has way more experience drinking than everyone else, and is super chill to everyone about everything.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Giannis putting in an all time performance.

Comment

• This hurts. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the empire, yet the Suns are the only sports franchise that has any real history here. They may never have an another opportunity like this again, and they threw it away.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X