NBA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post
    Celtics never had a chance in that series. Stevens moving up will be interesting, was pretty sure Ainge was going to be replaced. Hopefully the Lakers will get bounced.
    No, they did not, which is fine considering the run that town has been on for the last twenty years when it comes to the four North American sports leagues. I like Tatum. He's a good player I think they can build around for sure.

Calipari makes $8M a year at UK and he's the highest paid men's CBB HC. I don't know what Ainge was making as a GM, and I know money isn't everything, but $10M a year to coach at IU is tough to turn down. Poppovich gets $11M a year and he's the highest paid NBA HC.

I'm inclined to believe that IU made that offer, even if it was through back channels.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

No, they did not, which is fine considering the run that town has been on for the last twenty years when it comes to the four North American sports leagues. I like Tatum. He's a good player I think they can build around for sure.

Calipari makes $8M a year at UK and he's the highest paid men's CBB HC. I don't know what Ainge was making as a GM, and I know money isn't everything, but $10M a year to coach at IU is tough to turn down. Poppovich gets $11M a year and he's the highest paid NBA HC.

I'm inclined to believe that IU made that offer, even if it was through back channels.
      The word is that there were a few prominent coaches that were approached agent to agent with What If scenarios but the only person who got the offer was Woodson.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

The word is that there were a few prominent coaches that were approached agent to agent with What If scenarios but the only person who got the offer was Woodson.
        It's fun to daydream, but I am inclined to think that IU was serious enough to dangle that carrot. It's tempting.

You'd think $9M a year would do it, but $10M a year was a real f&*% it offer for sure. Closer to Popp than Cal? Wow.

Alas, Stevens moving upstairs makes it feel like he is that much further away from coaching college now. A front office move takes him away from coaching entirely, obviously.
        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

It's fun to daydream, but I am inclined to think that IU was serious enough to dangle that carrot. It's tempting.

You'd think $9M a year would do it, but $10M a year was a real f&*% it offer for sure. Closer to Popp than Cal? Wow.

Alas, Stevens moving upstairs makes it feel like he is that much further away from coaching college now. A front office move takes him away from coaching entirely, obviously.
          They didn't use a search committee, handled it all in house. I'd imagine the boosters who did the dirty were heavily involved in the vetting and you HAVE to do a heat check on Stevens or you aren't doing your job.

I'm also just glad Alford wasn't coming off one of his 25-30 win seasons so he wasn't in play... cuz he would've been unless Donor #1 doesn't like Steve.

As I've said before, I personally would've preferred Scott Drew get the job so they could definitely have a shot to win one but I couldn't put that deal together. lol

Oh well, maybe next time but Fife most likely has it wrapped up unless the bottom falls out on Woodson.

Comment

• I like the transfer portal, but I am sure that from a competitive standpoint the coaches don't like it and it's going to push more guys toward the NBA if they have the opportunity. It's a headache they don't want to deal with.

I don't see Stevens, Donovan, Snyder going back. Ever.

Comment

• Already looking forward to the first Atlanta Hawks trip to Madison Square Garden in 2021/22. Trae Young was awesome in every way.

Comment

• Changing of the guard a lot of sites are saying. Other than the Nets it's mostly younger teams leading the way in the playoffs now. Lakers go down, Clippers on the brink. This will be the first Finals since 2010 without Lebron or Curry.
                Haven't watched any games this season, just saw the headlines on ESPN.

Comment

• As a Lakers fan, it sucks. As a Lebron hater, Im fine with it

Comment

• This is the first time James has been on a team elimiated in the first round of the playoffs. This happened to Kobe twice, Michael Jordan three times. There doesn't appear to be a lot of options this offseason for the Lakers to bolster their roster. They have a long summer to think about things.

Devin Booker should be a name now. When you look at some of the people drafted ahead of him, wow.

Hoping Dallas can close out the Clippers tonight.

Comment

This is the first time James has been on a team elimiated in the first round of the playoffs. This happened to Kobe twice, Michael Jordan three times. There doesn't appear to be a lot of options this offseason for the Lakers to bolster their roster. They have a long summer to think about things.

Devin Booker should be a name now. When you look at some of the people drafted ahead of him, wow.

Hoping Dallas can close out the Clippers tonight.
                      I don't know if the Lakers need to reevaluate their scheme beyond investing in some more spot up shooters. With Lebron at 70% and AD likely out indefinitely, they weren't winning anything this year.

With the Grizz out I'm pulling hard for the Bucks. Giannis seems like a cool dude. I'll be happy if its anyone other than Brooklyn to be honest, I can't think of a more unlikable team.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post

I don't know if the Lakers need to reevaluate their scheme beyond investing in some more spot up shooters. With Lebron at 70% and AD likely out indefinitely, they weren't winning anything this year.

With the Grizz out I'm pulling hard for the Bucks. Giannis seems like a cool dude. I'll be happy if its anyone other than Brooklyn to be honest, I can't think of a more unlikable team.
                        Steve Nash is my second all-time favorite player (behind Reggie). I want Steve to get a ring has a HC, but not like this... lol

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post

Would love to see him win it for himself and that city. He is a cool dude.

Comment

This is the first time James has been on a team elimiated in the first round of the playoffs.

Michael Jordan three times.
                            Jordan made the playoffs every year with the Bulls. Lebron didn't make the playoffs his first 2-3 years with the Cavs & first year in LA so he avoided another 3-4 exits on bad teams.

MJ's 3 first round exits were to the 6x Central Div champion Bucks and Larry twice. You'd have to include MJ's Wizard seasons after 3 yrs of retirement to make it apples-apples.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

Jordan made the playoffs every year with the Bulls. Lebron didn't make the playoffs his first 2-3 years with the Cavs & first year in LA so he avoided another 3-4 exits on bad teams.

MJ's 3 first round exits were to the 6x Central Div champion Bucks and Larry twice. You'd have to include MJ's Wizard seasons after 3 yrs of retirement to make it apples-apples.

LIke throwing meat into the shark tank. LOL. Love it.

Comment

• I thought that Frank Kaminsky getting drafted ahead of Devin Booker would be the craziest thing I read today that is basketball related.

Guess not.

Comment

• I mean that's pretty much a list of the 7 best basketball players of the last 30 years. Not surprising at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                    I mean that's pretty much a list of the 7 best basketball players of the last 30 years. Not surprising at all.
                                    Times are changing. And it's great.

There could be a few dud series in the second round, but for the most part it's going to start getting good now. Hopefully everyone stays as healthy as possible.

Looking forward to seeing if Luka can finish off the Clippers tonight.

Comment

I thought that Frank Kaminsky getting drafted ahead of Devin Booker would be the craziest thing I read today that is basketball related.

Guess not.
                                      Olajuwon was great, and I understand he's needed to make the point... but he don't belong on that list.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post

Olajuwon was great, and I understand he's needed to make the point... but he don't belong on that list.
                                        His team did win Back to Back titles in the last 30 years and he's one of the 25 best players ever pretty comfortably whether it is eyeball test or actual metrics if you prefer those.

He happens to be the person on that list with the least amount of championships, which is the North American measuring stick for indvidual greatness for many, but overall his resume speaks for itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post

I think he does. He was the best player on multiple championship winning teams. That is rare company in NBA history.
                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

I think he does. He was the best player on multiple championship winning teams. That is rare company in NBA history.
                                            Then add Isaiah Thomas to the list, as Detroit went back to back before Chicago started their run. You do that, you'll likely be able to grab Bird and Magic and make the list even longer.

Comment

• It's mainly that adding Hakeem brings in 5 years, the 2 Rockets championship teams and the first Bulls 3 Peat.

Comment

• Sucks the Blazers folded last night at the end of the 3rd and 4th Qtrs. Time to get rid of McCollum and Nurk. Hopefully Dame sticks around.

So glad Lebron is out of the playoffs.

Comment

I thought that Frank Kaminsky getting drafted ahead of Devin Booker would be the craziest thing I read today that is basketball related.

Guess not.
                                                  Add Magic, Bird and Isiah to that list. Then, that streak extends all the way back to 1979.
                                                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

Add Magic, Bird and Isiah to that list. Then, that streak extends all the way back to 1979.
                                                    Delete Jordan & Zeke and add Rodman, Pippen & Dave Corzine and it gets you back to '77

Comment

• I think...

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                        Sucks the Blazers folded last night at the end of the 3rd and 4th Qtrs. Time to get rid of McCollum and Nurk. Hopefully Dame sticks around.

So glad Lebron is out of the playoffs.
                                                        I think he has every right to want to move on, and I can't blame him if he does. I'm sure there will be teams lining up to go for him.

Looking at the numbers from what the Clippers did vs Dallas when Luka was on the floor versus when Luka was NOT on the floor, it wasn't even close in terms of what Luka does for that team. He can't play every minute of every game in the series, and the Clippers took advantage of every minute he was not on the floor. Hence they won in seven.

Hopefully the Clippers are dispatched quickly in the next round.

Loving this Atlanta Hawks squad right now. If they can take out the Knicks AND 76ers, they'd be doing society a service.

Now back to talking about the 80s and 90s for everyone that doesnt' watch basketball.

Comment

• Add a player from every championship winning team, and you can go all the way back to the NBA's formation. Crazy.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• There's new blood rising and it's great. Luka is 22, Jokic is 26, Tatum is 23, Ja Morant is 21, Trae Young is 22, Devin Booker is 24, Donovan Mitchell is 24 and Giannis is 26.

These are just the guys who made the playoffs. So many stars are on teams still building. The shooting ability and athleticism are tremendous right now. Coaching and scouting continues to evolve with front office analytics.

Comment

• 2020 NBA Playoffs Bubble

Lakers vs Heat. Both are out.

Celtics, out. Nuggets, still in but hanging on and down 0-1.

Raptors and Rockets, gone. Clippers hanging on, Bucks still in but down 0-1.

The deeper you went into the Bubble last season, the worse off you seem to be this season in the playoffs. Can the Nuggets, Clippers and Bucks prove this wrong?

Comment

2020 NBA Playoffs Bubble

Lakers vs Heat. Both are out.

Celtics, out. Nuggets, still in but hanging on and down 0-1.

Raptors and Rockets, gone. Clippers hanging on, Bucks still in but down 0-1.

The deeper you went into the Bubble last season, the worse off you seem to be this season in the playoffs. Can the Nuggets, Clippers and Bucks prove this wrong?
                                                                bucks are done. I wouldnt have much faith in clips. Nuggets maybe, but they were already short their #2 guy.
                                                                Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

bucks are done. I wouldnt have much faith in clips. Nuggets maybe, but they were already short their #2 guy.
                                                                  I'm betting against all three.

Comment

• Nikola Jokic is MVP. This is the correct choice as far as I'm concerned. Quite a story and quite an odyssey he took to get to the NBA. Awesome stuff.

Donovan Mitchell was electric against the Clippers last night. Big Game One win.

Joel Embiid came up big for the Sixers and Shake Milton went off. Hawks miss Hunter and need to figure out some kind of answer for Embiid. ATL got the split, though.

Comment

• The Indiana Pacers have fired Nate Bjorkgren

Comment

• No surprise. Not only did he lose the locker room, he couldn't make friends in the front office.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                          No surprise. Not only did he lose the locker room, he couldn't make friends in the front office.
                                                                          I think it was inevitable, yes.

Maybe they are waiting for the Bucks to get eliminated and fire Budenholzer? I'm honestly not sure what they'd have in mind. There is a lot of young, assistant coaching talent in the NBA right now and they are guys who would get their first shot but could relate to the players.

If they do the work they can find someone really good. Then with that comes getting out of limbo and forming an identity.

Comment

Maybe they are waiting for the Bucks to get eliminated and fire Budenholzer? I'm honestly not sure what they'd have in mind. There is a lot of young, assistant coaching talent in the NBA right now and they are guys who would get their first shot but could relate to the players.

If they do the work they can find someone really good. Then with that comes getting out of limbo and forming an identity.
                                                                            Alot of early buzz is Terry stotts.

Pacers played themselves. Nate McMillan looking golden in atlanata
                                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

Alot of early buzz is Terry stotts.

Pacers played themselves. Nate McMillan looking golden in atlanata
                                                                              I had no problem with McMillan. Pritchard was wanting more offense. Well he got that, but apparently Bjorkgren never heard of the term defense. McMillan also didn't have a player the caliber of Young in Indiana.

As long as the Pacers keep being a .500 team with a first round exit in the playoffs and a crappy draft position I don't think it will matter who the coach is.

Comment

Bjorkgren was considered a young assistant in NBA terms, but I'm with you. I tired of retreads long ago.

Comment

I had no problem with McMillan. Pritchard was wanting more offense. Well he got that, but apparently Bjorkgren never heard of the term defense. McMillan also didn't have a player the caliber of Young in Indiana.

As long as the Pacers keep being a .500 team with a first round exit in the playoffs and a crappy draft position I don't think it will matter who the coach is.
                                                                                  Yeah, they're kind of in limbo right now.

Comment

Yeah, they're kind of in limbo right now.
                                                                                    I prefer the term purgatory.

Comment

Yes because they refuse to just let the ship burn to the ground. Not a market to attract the big time FA and aren't picking low enough to get the guys needed. They are happy with making playoffs and current ticket sales apparently and if that's the case you won't ever see any real change.
                                                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

LOL. Yes, generally, it is referred to as "NBA Purgatory" and that's where you don't want to be.

Comment

• I know Denver is the last Conference Final team left from the 2020 Bubble and they're fading, but man, to the Suns look good. I am hopeful for an eventual Suns vs Jazz Western Conference Final just based on the matchups and how they're both playing, along with my deep hatred for the Clippers.

As silly as it sounds, watching a game last night with fans in the stands was great. I notice, so I have no doubt those players notice too. Phoenix was rocking last night for Game 2. It was fun.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                          X