Indianapolis Colts Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    We really donít have much of a choice if we want to compete next year. All the other QB options arenít very good and I think Detroit knows that and will use it as leverage in negotiations.

Would have been nice to have had a preseason last year to see Eason a little bit. No one really knows what we have in him but Iíd imagine Detroit will want a QB in return.
    There are a ton of QB options via the draft, trade, and FA. IMO, it's probably the best market in terms of pure options we've ever had.

I agree on the pre-season.

As far a Detroit is concerned, doubt they'd put a lot of stock in Eason. If they are going into a full rebuild, they could get a QB (Lance, Fields, Wilson) at 7, or even move up with what they'll get from Stafford.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
      Their starting asking price is a first rounder and one day two pick.
      They already put that out there?

IMO, they'll have 3-4 serious teams asking, but some of those teams will have a lot of other options too. Going to be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
        They already put that out there?

IMO, they'll have 3-4 serious teams asking, but some of those teams will have a lot of other options too. Going to be interesting.
        Yeah I saw that on Colts.com. It was a tweet from one of the NFL insiders.They may not get that though if his back isn't right. If it's ok and he can play 6 or 7 more years, I could see giving up a first and a third.

Comment

Yeah I saw that on Colts.com. It was a tweet from one of the NFL insiders.They may not get that though if his back isn't right. If it's ok and he can play 6 or 7 more years, I could see giving up a first and a third.
          Thanks. It's what i mentioned earlier. Not sure i trust insider talk, but it's pretty obvious a 1st rounder to me, plus some misc pick or trade.

IMO, Ballard will set a ceiling, and work from there. Just so many storylines right now.

Comment

• I was listening to some podcasts and reading articles on colts.com and a couple of reports were pretty interesting.

Supposedly Brady was all set to go to SF last year and they were in talks with the Colts to trade them Garoppolo. Shanahan overruled the move, leading Brady to go to Tampa Bay.

Also, it appears that the Colts told Rivers that they were going in another direction. Rivers then retired. He didn't have a press conference because he didn't want to lie about what actually happened. It is speculated that Ballard must feel confident in getting his target with that news.

Comment

I was listening to some podcasts and reading articles on colts.com and a couple of reports were pretty interesting.

Supposedly Brady was all set to go to SF last year and they were in talks with the Colts to trade them Garoppolo. Shanahan overruled the move, leading Brady to go to Tampa Bay.

Also, it appears that the Colts told Rivers that they were going in another direction. Rivers then retired. He didn't have a press conference because he didn't want to lie about what actually happened. It is speculated that Ballard must feel confident in getting his target with that news.
              Got a link to share about the bolded?

I got the gut feeling Ballard was the party that said no. All I'll say is he better deliver...

Comment

Got a link to share about the bolded?

I got the gut feeling Ballard was the party that said no. All I'll say is he better deliver...
                Sure, it's on Kevin Bowen's last podcast.

https://twitter.com/KBowen1070/statu...48510627926018

Comment

Sure, it's on Kevin Bowen's last podcast.

https://twitter.com/KBowen1070/statu...48510627926018
                  thank you sir, and reps

Comment

thank you sir, and reps
                    No problem, buddy. Exciting off-season coming up.

Comment

• Listening on Clay Travis this morning. Irsay making overtures to Luck about coming back?

ďHe knows how much weíd love to have him be our quarterback, thereís just no question about that,Ē Irsay said of Luck on Wednesday, per the Indianapolis Star.

That decision, of course, is not up to Irsay. Itís up to Luck, who has provided no public hints that heís thinking of a return to the NFL at 31 years old. And Irsay isnít counting on it. Heís just stating the obvious while planting a seed.
                      Did Irsay here some rumors that Luck might be interested in returning or is this Irsay trying to plant a seed? Is having one of the best O-lines in the league anchored by a perennial All Pro be enough to entice him to return? He was running for his life his last two seasons.

Comment

• Luck’s not coming back. I bet he weighs a buck fifty soaking wet by now.

Comment

• How would you Colts fans feel about acquiring Matt Stafford? Say it cost you two first rounder and a couple additional picks. Do you bite?

He has never been the issue in Detroit; no supporting cast outside of Calvin Johnson, porous Oline, yet is still tough as nails and plays through the pain.

I think he'd be a great fit personally, as someone who's watched him a ton over the years playing in the NFC North.
                          Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 01-28-2021, 02:39 PM.
                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• I want Matt Stafford, but I wish we could get a better deal for ourselves than a couple first round picks. One first rounder and some other stuff would be better IMO.
                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                              How would you Colts fans feel about acquiring Matt Stafford? Say it cost you two first rounder and a couple additional picks. Do you bite?

He has never been the issue in Detroit; no supporting cast outside of Calvin Johnson, porous Oline, yet is still tough as nails and plays through the pain.

I think he'd be a great fit personally, as someone who's watched him a ton over the years playing in the NFC North.
                              Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                              I want Matt Stafford, but I wish we could get a better deal for ourselves than a couple first round picks. One first rounder and some other stuff would be better IMO.
                              I think he'd be a great fit and an upgrade over Rivers. I wouldn't give up two 1st rounders and I would be surprised if Ballard would. One and maybe a 3rd and a couple of late rounders.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                I want Matt Stafford, but I wish we could get a better deal for ourselves than a couple first round picks. One first rounder and some other stuff would be better IMO.
                                This is where Iím at. Two first round picks is a lot. I think we could get him for less than that but I donít know what other teams might be willing to give up.
                                60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• No way I'm giving up two firsts. A first and a third or a couple of twos.

Ballard loves picks and giving up those alone would cause him to lose sleep.

Comment

• Be interesting to see how this plays out. With so many teams in the QB market I thought it might take 2 first rounders for Stafford.

Colts have too many important holes to fill. I doubt Ballard is willing to give up 2 first round contracts that he can control under the rookie cap.

Comment

• Exploring the Costs of Trading Star QB’s in 2021P

Covers Watson, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz, Stafford, Cousins, Garropolo, Ryan and Stafford

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                        Exploring the Costs of Trading Star QBís in 2021P

Covers Watson, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz, Stafford, Cousins, Garropolo, Ryan and Stafford
                                        I would also take Watson, but if the Texans decide to trade him as requested, they won't do it with a division rival. The Jets might be a good trade partner with Darnold.

Rogers would be a good pick up if the Pack decides it's time. At his age, I think Rogers would only be interested in going to a team like the Colts who are right there and just need that QB to make a run at the SB. Especially with an O-line that's going to give him plenty of time to dissect a D and it would be out of the division and conference.

After Stafford, Watson and Rogers, my choice would be to move up in the draft and find a QB.

Comment

• Draft
                                          All the teams needing QBs who may want to trade with Detroit or Houston do not have multiple picks in the first, second or third rounds.

Detroit has only four picks in the 2021 draft and Houston has seven.

Cap Space
                                          Detroit is just over the cutoff with +$1.8 million. Houston is in the red at -$17.8 mill

The possible QB need teams with negative cap space are the Bears, Packers, Steelers, Packers, Eagles and Saints in addition to the Lions. The only team with QBs who would have to account for a cap hit of less than $29 mill is Detroit.

Watson and Stafford
                                          Stafford has a cap hit of $20 in 2021 and $23 in 2022 and is free agent in 2023. So eliminate those eight teams with negative cap space, unless they can make a lot of cap space room by restructuring contracts or cutting players. Watson’s contract would be desirable for any team in the NFL. The cap charges for the acquiring team would be $10.54 million, $35 million, $37 million, $32 million, and $32 million. That works out to a five year, $146.54 million contract, an average of $29.308 million a year.

Indy, New England, and Washington have plenty of cap space and could manage that easily. The Broncos, 49ers and Panthers have $14m to $7 mill in cap space. I'd be talking with those three unless someone else wants to come up with some great picks over two years and can create the space.
                                          (I am including teams that potentially could move their established QBs.)

Number of Pick in 2021 Draft
                                          Washington has nine picks total. NE has ten. Indy has seven. As noted, none have multiple picks in the first, second or third round. Not sure about the number of picks all the teams mentioned have in 2022. Whether Alex Smith retires or restructures his contract which has two more years left would create more cap room for The Football Team.
                                          Last edited by Legacy; 01-29-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                            I would also take Watson, but if the Texans decide to trade him as requested, they won't do it with a division rival. The Jets might be a good trade partner with Darnold.

Rogers would be a good pick up if the Pack decides it's time. At his age, I think Rogers would only be interested in going to a team like the Colts who are right there and just need that QB to make a run at the SB. Especially with an O-line that's going to give him plenty of time to dissect a D and it would be out of the division and conference.

After Stafford, Watson and Rogers, my choice would be to move up in the draft and find a QB.
                                            These prognosticating journalists are cracking me up. Aaron Rodgers literally went on the Pat McAfee show on Tuesday and said he doesn't anticipate going any where and alluded to the fact that his comments after the NFCCG were merely pointing out that there are no absolutes in the sport of football, which is a fact. He even said he would like to be like Kobe or Tim Duncan and stick around with one franchise, but he knows that's simply not a guarantee.

I don't think Rodgers is as upset with GB as people are making him out to be, and I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. #12 is a non-story, clickbait topic of conversation in the 2021 offseason.

If I'm Indy, I'm looking at Goff, Stafford and Watson and trying to figure out how to get the best value for one of those three without sacrificing the longevity of the franchise. Y'all have a very solid core.

Comment

These prognosticating journalists are cracking me up. Aaron Rodgers literally went on the Pat McAfee show on Tuesday and said he doesn't anticipate going any where and alluded to the fact that his comments after the NFCCG were merely pointing out that there are no absolutes in the sport of football, which is a fact. He even said he would like to be like Kobe or Tim Duncan and stick around with one franchise, but he knows that's simply not a guarantee.

I don't think Rodgers is as upset with GB as people are making him out to be, and I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. #12 is a non-story, clickbait topic of conversation in the 2021 offseason.

If I'm Indy, I'm looking at Goff, Stafford and Watson and trying to figure out how to get the best value for one of those three without sacrificing the longevity of the franchise. Y'all have a very solid core.
                                              The core is solid but the holes are at the most important positions is the problem - QB, CB, pass rusher and left tackle. To fill those Ballard is going to need picks that is needed to get a QB. Itís like a catch 22, either way he goes doesnít equal Super Bowl. Have to get the QB though to even sniff the playoffs..

Comment

I think AR is more unhappy than he admits, but I just don't think he'll go diva like Watson.

Please no Goff or Watson for Indy. Give me Stafford or Lance.

Comment

The core is solid but the holes are at the most important positions is the problem - QB, CB, pass rusher and left tackle. To fill those Ballard is going to need picks that is needed to get a QB. Itís like a catch 22, either way he goes doesnít equal Super Bowl. Have to get the QB though to even sniff the playoffs..
                                                  I think we can bring back most of our FAs with our cap, so most of the current holes can be re-filled if we want. Adding Stafford IMO will likely be a 1st this year, and 2nd next. That's not a killer.

Comment

I think we can bring back most of our FAs with our cap, so most of the current holes can be re-filled if we want. Adding Stafford IMO will likely be a 1st this year, and 2nd next. That's not a killer.
                                                    I wish you were right but itís going to take more chips than you anticipate. 2 first rounders is the price and always has been.

Comment

I wish you were right but itís going to take more chips than you anticipate. 2 first rounders is the price and always has been.
                                                      It's been reported that the 49ers offered 2x second rounders, and 2x third rounders. Looking at their picks this year, and estimating the average position next year (for both teams), that capital equates almost exactly to our 1st this year, and 2nd next year (estimating we're in the middle of the 2nd).

I've looked at our roster, FAs, cap situation, etc. in detail. Most of our FAs could easily be brought back (won't be looking for huge raises). The only FA we have that will get a big raise is Rhodes. Everyone else is aging, or is JAGish. The real concern is next year when some big contracts come up for our young guys.

Comment

It's been reported that the 49ers offered 2x second rounders, and 2x third rounders. Looking at their picks this year, and estimating the average position next year (for both teams), that capital equates almost exactly to our 1st this year, and 2nd next year (estimating we're in the middle of the 2nd).

I've looked at our roster, FAs, cap situation, etc. in detail. Most of our FAs could easily be brought back (won't be looking for huge raises). The only FA we have that will get a big raise is Rhodes. Everyone else is aging, or is JAGish. The real concern is next year when some big contracts come up for our young guys.
                                                        Again, I’m probably wrong, but the value for Watson or Stafford is out the roof. I hear you on the FAs but Constanzo hung them up, pass rushers are hard to find and we still have no CB. I’m really not following you here... are WRs aren’t that great either. Tons of holes here in the most important places...
                                                        Last edited by Irish2155; 01-30-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Shit. Rams got Stafford for Goff plus some picks including a 1st rounder in 2023. Colts couldn’t match that offer. Damnit. No way we can land Watson and I’m not sure I want Wentz and definitely don’t want Trubisky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                            Shit. Rams got Stafford for Goff plus some picks including a 1st rounder in 2023. Colts couldnít match that offer. Damnit. No way we can land Watson and Iím not sure I want Wentz and definitely donít want Trubisky.
                                                            Me neither.. I want no part of Mitch or Wentz.

I had a feeling D would want a QB in return. Ballard couldnít match this deal and, who knows, might have dodged a mistake.

Whatís next...? Jacoby getting that arm loose.

Comment

Again, Iím probably wrong, but the value for Watson or Stafford is out the roof. I hear you on the FAs but Constanzo hung them up, pass rushers are hard to find and we still have no CB. Iím really not following you here... are WRs arenít that great either. Tons of holes here in the most important places...

Just my opinion.

DE - Houston can be brought back for likely less than his last contract. He was productive, and top 10 in PRWR in 2020. Our problem wasn't really lack of DL talent, it was blitzing at near a league low. Autry is a good tweener, and can be brought back for the same (which isn't much) or less.

WR/TE - Pascal and MAC are RFAs and will be cheap if we want to bring them back (it's a no brainer to me). Let TY walk or move him to slot on a team friendly deal. I think it's better to let him walk and draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy. It's a good WR class.

QB - Stafford's contract (20M for 2021) is less than Rivers. Let JB walk or offer him 1M. Plenty of back up guys available as FAs this year that you'll be able to get for 2M or under. I'm OK with rolling with Eason as backup.

LT - Having Nelson gives us a ton of options. A moderately priced FA or 2nd or 3rd round tackle would likely be fine next to Nelson. Nelson could slide out. Smith would probably be fine at LT next to Nelson. I like the guy from N. Dakota State in the 3rd.

CB - Rhodes gets a raise, and we can afford it.

Overall, we have a lot of holes, but we also have the 2nd best cap situation, and a decent core. We can basically bring back last years team minus TY and AC, and use our 2nd and 3rd to cover those. I'd take a LB in the 4th, but we can also afford to pick up a FA LB or bring Walker back. The key is just no long term stupid contracts this year for questionable guys.

Comment

• I actually think Mitch Trubisky would be good in Indy. Chicago kills QBs and just get him a new start.

Comment

Shit. Rams got Stafford for Goff plus some picks including a 1st rounder in 2023. Colts couldn’t match that offer. Damnit. No way we can land Watson and I’m not sure I want Wentz and definitely don’t want Trubisky.
                                                                  Here's the details. Rams had to up things to be able to unload Goff's contract. It's still a huge dead cap hit for LAR. Man they must of really wanted to move on lol.

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is heading to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for quarterback Jared Goff and a multitude of draft picks, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday night.

The Lions will receive a third-round pick in 2021, a first-round pick in 2022 and a first-round pick in 2023 in the exchange of former No. 1 overall picks.

Comment

I actually think Mitch Trubisky would be good in Indy. Chicago kills QBs and just get him a new start.
                                                                    please Baby Jesus no.

Comment

please Baby Jesus no.
                                                                      I must be all hopped up on Mountain Dew

Comment

• Interesting to see how the financials will work out.

Detroit has +$1.7 mill in cap space with Stafford, will save $14 mill in cap savings with the trade but have a Dead Money hit of $19 mill. Goff's cap number is $34.95 mill. https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

LA Rams cap space is -$34 mill, will have cap savings of $12.76 mill with the trade but with a Dead Money hit of $22.2 mill with Goff. Stafford's cap number for 2021 is $33 mill. https://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
                                                                        Last edited by Legacy; 01-30-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I must be all hopped up on Mountain Dew
                                                                          lol, I'd take him over another year of Brissett though.

I'm about to pour my first cocktail. Been hopped up on iced tea all day/evening.

Comment

• Well shit, back to the drawing board...

Comment

• Call me idiot all you want but I just think if Mitch just needs to get out of Chicago. He’s better than what The Bears can offer.

Comment

lol, I'd take him over another year of Brissett though.

I'm about to pour my first cocktail. Been hopped up on iced tea all day/evening.
                                                                                Sun King Foxy Jam Pants here - being from Indy you know what Iím working with. Delicious

Comment

• Lions paid way too much.

Comment

Call me idiot all you want but I just think if Mitch just needs to get out of Chicago. Heís better than what The Bears can offer.
                                                                                    I tend to agree. I don't know if he's salvageable or not but if the Colts think he can play for them at a high level then they might go after him. Isn't he going to be released? Id love to get Darnold too. He might be legit if he could get away from the Jets.

Comment

• I know that the Lions took back big salary in Goff, but Stafford imo is not worth 2 1sts and a 3rd. He's not a young guy with upside, dude is what he is. Indy could MAYBE win it all if they threw all that at Detroit, but the smarter move is to find an upgrade at QB elsewhere.

Comment

• That trade screams "we think we are a qb away from winning a super bowl and dont give a shit if it ruins the following years."
                                                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                                                          That trade screams "we think we are a qb away from winning a super bowl and dont give a shit if it ruins the following years."
                                                                                          Her shall Walker trade all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                            I know that the Lions took back big salary in Goff, but Stafford imo is not worth 2 1sts and a 3rd. He's not a young guy with upside, dude is what he is. Indy could MAYBE win it all if they threw all that at Detroit, but the smarter move is to find an upgrade at QB elsewhere.
                                                                                            I think Stafford is one of the most underrated QBs in the past decade or so; keep in mind where he was playing. He hasn't had a great OL throughout his career and outside of Calvin Johnson he hasn't had a ton of talent to throw to, either.

He looked like a world-beater in 2019 when he had a healthy Golladay and Marvin Jones but then he went down with the back injury and the Lions threw in the towel. And Golladay was hurt all year in 2020.

Dude has insane arm talent and is a competitor. I think he was very limited in Detroit and I cannot wait to see what he can do with the Rams with the skill position talent around him and a quality OL.

I know this seems like a hysterical thing to say but I never slept easy as a Packers fan knowing #9 was playing for the Lions; his record may have only been 7-13 against the Pack but he had a knack for always keeping them in it.

Comment

• Honestly there are upwards of six potential franchise level QBs in the class, no?

All come with some risk perhaps, but they all have the potential to be good starters.

Why not just spend a first round on the one you like (unless you can snag that same guy in the second) out of whoever is still there when it's your turn. *Except you definitely still need a left tackle.*
                                                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                                                                That trade screams "we think we are a qb away from winning a super bowl and dont give a shit if it ruins the following years."
                                                                                                Heard this morning that with the firsts they gave away, it will make 7 years in a row without a 1st round pick.

Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                                                                Her shall Walker trade all over again.
                                                                                                Not quite as bad as the Walker trade, but still too much.

Beau makes a good observation. Castanzo was ready to hang it up and was talked into coming back this year. With his injuries this year, this could very well be his last.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                  Heard this morning that with the firsts they gave away, it will make 7 years in a row without a 1st round pick.

Not quite as bad as the Walker trade, but still too much.

Beau makes a good observation. Castanzo was ready to hang it up and was talked into coming back this year. With his injuries this year, this could very well be his last.
                                                                                                  He already retired

Comment

• From Over-the-Cap, an analysis including the financials
                                                                                                    Stafford and Goff Swap Teams in Mega Trade

Comment

He already retired
                                                                                                      How did I miss that? lol

Local news this morning stated Reich wants to meet with Manning to get his input. I would imagine Ballard and Irsay will be in that conversation.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X