Indianapolis Colts Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Colts Football

Started this for general Colts discussion.

What are your thoughts on all the offseason moves?

So far we have signed OL Joe Reitz, LB Cam Johnson, S Mike Adams, S Colt Anderson, OLB DE Trent Cole, DL Kendal Langford, RB Frank Gore and WR Andre Johnson. I am impressed that we have spent the extra money we have and I think that we are only getting better. Would still like to see if we can get Greg Hardy and/or Terrance Knighton.
    GO IRISH!!!

Originally posted by bkess8 View Post

So far we have signed OL Joe Reitz, LB Cam Johnson, S Mike Adams, S Colt Anderson, OLB DE Trent Cole, DL Kendal Langford, RB Frank Gore and WR Andre Johnson. I am impressed that we have spent the extra money we have and I think that we are only getting better. Would still like to see if we can get Greg Hardy and/or Terrance Knighton.
    Do they even have enough cap room to add both of them? The Bears are looking to add both, so they wouldn't come cheap for the Colts. The Bears have plenty of cap room and they have both played for John Fox.
    Originally posted by koonja
    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
      Do they even have enough cap room to add both of them? The Bears are looking to add both, so they wouldn't come cheap for the Colts. The Bears have plenty of cap room and they have both played for John Fox.
      Not sure if they have money for both however one will do!
      GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Pats fan here, but my thoughts:

Herremans as well on the OL was a good signing. I probably would have only worried about Defense (especially front 7) and OL this off-season, but it's hard to argue with signing Johnson/Gore. I think Luck is good enough that he doesn't really need the skill guys around him, but again, you really can't go wrong signing those two guys. Not sure if they have the room for Knighton, but they should try and add Wilfork or Raji or Starks cheap if possible.

I think Indy is definitely better right now than they were 2 months ago, but I think the 11-5 record was pretty inflated by the weak schedule. You guys were 2-5 against playoff teams (in regular season of course), although the schedule is pretty favorable again this season with the NFC South crossover. It's so far out, but really looks like it will be Colts/Pats/Broncos as the Top-3 seeds again.
        Last edited by irishfan; 03-11-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I really like the signings so far. I don't know how much Wilfork has left in the tank, but I'd take him in a 1-2 year deal. Signing Langford is going to help the D line. I'd like to see 1 or 2 more guys for the O line. Right now I give Grigson an A-.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
            I really like the signings so far. I don't know how much Wilfork has left in the tank, but I'd take him in a 1-2 year deal. Signing Langford is going to help the D line. I'd like to see 1 or 2 more guys for the O line. Right now I give Grigson an A-.
            I agree...A-, maybe a B+ depending on how much Gore and Johnson have left in the tank. Regardless they can't be worse than Wayne and Richardson last year.

Another O lineman or two along with a big body on the D line would be great. Tall task taking over the reigns in the AFC from Manning and Brady but Grigson is doing all he can to put Luck in a good place.

We need to get after the passer too. A healthy Mathis will help as well.

Comment

Offense might be cute with those veterans but that won't stop Tom Brady and company from dropping 40 in the playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                Offense might be cute with those veterans but that won't stop Tom Brady and company from dropping 40 in the playoffs
                It will if they can stop the run and get after the passer.

Comment

It absolutely will. Longer drives with less 3 and outs equal less chances for the other team.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                    It absolutely will. Longer drives with less 3 and outs equal less chances for the other team.
                    Exactly. Frank Gore will help and also a healthy Bradshaw won't hurt either.
                    GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Yo... Colts be harsh, B...

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Indianapolis Colts running back Trent Richardson, who was released Thursday, has filed a grievance against the team for voiding the $3.184 million he was to make during the 2015 season, according to a source.

Trent Richardson is looking to recoup his 2015 salary by filing a grievance against the Colts, who released him Thursday.

Richardson hopes the grievance will help him recoup some, if not all of the $3.184 million he was scheduled to make next season.

ProFootballTalk.com earlier reported that the grievance had been filed.

Language in Richardson's contract allowed the Colts to avoid paying the final year of Richardson's rookie contract because he was suspended for two games the day before the AFC Championship at New England in January. Richardson was suspended because he failed to notify the team he would be missing walk-through the day before the New England game due to his wife being in the hospital for pregnancy complications.

Richardson told ESPN.com that his phone died and that when he finally reached coach Chuck Pagano and offered to fly out to New England on his own or rush to meet the team plane, he was told don't worry about it by Pagano.

"Nothing would stop me from going to work other than my kids," Richardson said Thursday. "With that, I told Coach the situation. I said I could fly in or try to make the flight. He told me, 'We weren't going to dress you anyway.'"
                      Trent Richardson files grievance against Indianapolis Colts - ESPN
                      Originally posted by koonja
                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Augustus Gloop wants all the chocolate.

Poor trent, he has such a rough life.

Comment

I am not enamored with Gore and Johnson like most Colts fans seem to be. Too old, not as much left in the tank. Would've preferred going with younger guys on the rise and still need major help on D.
                          I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                            I am not enamored with Gore and Johnson like most Colts fans seem to be. Too old, not as much left in the tank. Would've preferred going with younger guys on the rise and still need major help on D.
                            I think they thought they were close last year and are bringing in some guys to make a run this year. You are right about not much left in the tank, but maybe one or two years of decent production with a good team.
                            Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

There's the Pats, Seahawks, and Packers. Everyone else (minus the really shitty teams) is kind of lumped together, and either has a fatal flaw, or is missing that "it" factor. No top tier team has a stranglehold on the league either. The NFL has NEVER been more wide open. (This is all IMO)

The Colts have proven they can play with anybody, and Luck is good for one poo poo platter in the playoffs. If he makes the next step this year (which I think he will), coupled with 6 guaranteed games against bottom feeding teams, they could very well make the SB.

With that said, I truly hate the Colts. Always have, and even more so since moving here. My opinion is about as biased against them as they come, but their future looks good, if not great.....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                There's the Pats, Seahawks, and Packers. Everyone else (minus the really shitty teams) is kind of lumped together, and either has a fatal flaw, or is missing that "it" factor. No top tier team has a stranglehold on the league either. The NFL has NEVER been more wide open. (This is all IMO)

The Colts have proven they can play with anybody, and Luck is good for one poo poo platter in the playoffs. If he makes the next step this year (which I think he will), coupled with 6 guaranteed games against bottom feeding teams, they could very well make the SB.

With that said, I truly hate the Colts. Always have, and even more so since moving here. My opinion is about as biased against them as they come, but their future looks good, if not great.....
                                Well. Except for a certain team in New England.

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                  I think they thought they were close last year and are bringing in some guys to make a run this year. You are right about not much left in the tank, but maybe one or two years of decent production with a good team.
                                  Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                  Well. Except for a certain team in New England.
                                  At this point I don't see how their defense is any better than last year, which to me means they're not getting past the conf championship. I think last year was rather lucky that they did anyways, since Payton sucked so bad.
                                  I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Pulled off a big win today with Hasselbeck at QB!
                                    GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Pulled off a big win today with Hasselbeck at QB!
                                      Very much needed win. Hasselback has now won three of our five games this year. Thank God for him.

Comment

MFH......

Colts started slow again, but got it going in the second half Defense is coming around. Let's hope Davis's hammy isn't too bad.

Comment

Had great seats but ended flying down to Vanderbilt Beach for the week. Gave my tix to one of my employees who is also a huge Falcons fan. Can't wait to see him next week lol and talk a little smack.... OL situation still have me SMDH. Veteran QB play from Hassleback. Love that guy.
                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Thought I would bump this thread up with a couple of questions:

1. If/when we fire Pagano does Grigson have to go also?

2. Who realisticly replaces one or both of them? I know many people say Harbaugh but other than him who do you think is a possibility?

3. I have been reading a lot lately that Luck might come back before he is 100% ready. I hope they don't rush him back just for us to maybe limp into the playoffs and get beat in the wild card round. Thoughts?
                                            GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Grigson should go before Pagano. Announce his firing first. What he's done to the Colts has been far more egregious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think Grigson has to go too. I honestly dont know who would replace Pagano. As said Harbaugh is a good choice but i seriously doubt thats a possibility. It'd be nice to find someone who has had some level of success at the NFL level.

Comment

Thought I would bump this thread up with a couple of questions:

1. If/when we fire Pagano does Grigson have to go also?

2. Who realisticly replaces one or both of them? I know many people say Harbaugh but other than him who do you think is a possibility?

3. I have been reading a lot lately that Luck might come back before he is 100% ready. I hope they don't rush him back just for us to maybe limp into the playoffs and get beat in the wild card round. Thoughts?
                                                  Clean house because they are wasting a franchise QB.

Don't bring luck back this year. Let him completely heal and start cutting the fat by offloading bad contracts in the offseason. Hire someone who has a track record of drafting wisely, then draft boatloads of OL and defensive personnel.

If the Colts play it right, they can be a serious contender in two years and they can maintain that for another 7-8. They have the QB, the lynchpin of it all, now they need people who know how to run a program.

oh and fire the owner, or at least distance him from the team. He's trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                                    Clean house because they are wasting a franchise QB.

Don't bring luck back this year. Let him completely heal and start cutting the fat by offloading bad contracts in the offseason. Hire someone who has a track record of drafting wisely, then draft boatloads of OL and defensive personnel.

If the Colts play it right, they can be a serious contender in two years and they can maintain that for another 7-8. They have the QB, the lynchpin of it all, now they need people who know how to run a program.

I agree with all of this. Especially the bolded. Do not chance Luck this year, the team is going nowhere in the playoffs. Let him get healthy and find a GM and coach who can get the right pieces. Luck is good enough that if protected and used in the right system the team can really go somewhere. Just need some defense and linemen who can protect him

Comment

Irsay has his demons no doubt, but as an owner he's as good as any of them. He lets his GM be the GM. He only gets involved when it comes to approving the biggies like Manning and Luck.

Grigson definitely needs to go. There had to be some conflict between him and Pagano for a while. Otherwise, why take a proven leader and only offer a one year extension? Pagano saw the offer as a slap in the face. Rumor is Grigson also didn't like Pagano telling him what he needed in the draft (mainly O & D linemen). Grigson went the Bill Polian route and drafted more receivers.

I was for firing Grigson and keeping Pagano, but after the last couple of games and the excuses Pagano gave after the last game, I think he needs to go as well.

I heard they will bring back Luck if there is still a chance to make the playoffs. I would rest him and miss the playoffs to improve the drafting position.

Comment

Irsay has his demons no doubt, but as an owner he's as good as any of them. He lets his GM be the GM. He only gets involved when it comes to approving the biggies like Manning and Luck.

Grigson definitely needs to go. There had to be some conflict between him and Pagano for a while. Otherwise, why take a proven leader and only offer a one year extension? Pagano saw the offer as a slap in the face. Rumor is Grigson also didn't like Pagano telling him what he needed in the draft (mainly O & D linemen). Grigson went the Bill Polian route and drafted more receivers.
                                                        Couldn't agree with this more. Yes Irsay is an idiot for making bad personal decisions in his life but as far as ownership goes he has done great things in Indy.

I am currently looking at potential candidates for the HC and GM positions, I will post them as soon as the list is complied.
                                                        GO IRISH!!!

Comment

HC Candidates:

Adam Gase (OC Chicago Bears)

Hue Jackson (OC Cincinnati Bengals)

Jim Schwartz (League Offices)

Josh McDaniels (OC New England Patriots)

Kyle Shanahan (OC Atlanta Falcons)

Teryl Austin (DC Detroit Lions)

Sean McDermott (DC Carolina Panthers)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)

David Shaw (HC Stanford)

GM Candidates:

Eliot Wolf, director of pro personnel, Green Bay Packers

Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots

Terry McDonough, vice president of player personnel, Arizona Cardinals

Scot McCloughan, consultant

Jeff Ireland, consultant

Mark Dominik, ESPN analyst

These are the most interesting names I found on various lists on the net. I find it interesting that Eliot Wolf is in such high demand and he is only 32 years old so I understand the risk of bringing in someone so young. For the HC position it would be nice to give someone like Gase or McDermott a chance IMO but I'm not sure you want to do that and waste prime years of Luck's career taking a chance.
                                                          GO IRISH!!!

Comment

McDaniels and Shanahan don't excite em at all. Several months back when this Pagano/Grigson thing started to percolate, there was a mention of Irsay going after Dungy again. Don't know how much merit that has but that would be a home run as long as we didn't run the Tampa 2 D.

Comment

McDaniels and Shanahan don't excite em at all. Several months back when this Pagano/Grigson thing started to percolate, there was a mention of Irsay going after Dungy again. Don't know how much merit that has but that would be a home run as long as we didn't run the Tampa 2 D.
                                                              I'd like to see the following in this order...

New GM
                                                              Improved OL
                                                              Improved D
                                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

If you could poach McDaniels with Caserio, it'd be an interesting concept. They've written the book on how to draft/stockpile draft picks and maintain a winner in New England.

If McDaniels and Caserio have a good working relationship, it may be worth the risk. No matter what you are always taking a chance and hoping to find some synergy between the candidates you put in power.

There's a reason I don't make these decisions.

Comment

If you could poach McDaniels with Caserio, it'd be an interesting concept. They've written the book on how to draft/stockpile draft picks and maintain a winner in New England.

If McDaniels and Caserio have a good working relationship, it may be worth the risk. No matter what you are always taking a chance and hoping to find some synergy between the candidates you put in power.

There's a reason I don't make these decisions.
                                                                  Caserio would be a good get. He's Belichick's right-hand man in the front office, and used to coach as well which is a big bonus. He signed through 2020 recently, which some have pegged as Belichick's last season, so he may be the "GM-in-waiting" right now. He might prefer to wait it out until 2020 and take over a roster he helped build as opposed to taking over in Indy, but it would obviously be hard to turn down a GM job where you already have Andrew Luck on the roster.

As for McDaniels...I think he'll be much improved as a HC his second go around, but there is really no way of knowing. Patriots DC Matt Patricia is probably someone who I would hire over McDaniels, but he isn't as much of a known name right now.

Comment

I love the idea of a one-and-done Harbaugh, but there's no way.

Comment

My Jaguars are winning the division. ��

Comment

Caserio would be a good get. He's Belichick's right-hand man in the front office, and used to coach as well which is a big bonus. He signed through 2020 recently, which some have pegged as Belichick's last season, so he may be the "GM-in-waiting" right now. He might prefer to wait it out until 2020 and take over a roster he helped build as opposed to taking over in Indy, but it would obviously be hard to turn down a GM job where you already have Andrew Luck on the roster.

As for McDaniels...I think he'll be much improved as a HC his second go around, but there is really no way of knowing. Patriots DC Matt Patricia is probably someone who I would hire over McDaniels, but he isn't as much of a known name right now.
                                                                        Four years is a long time to wait. Especially if you get a chance to run a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Corry View Post
                                                                          Hail the mighty Jaguars!

Comment

Originally posted by Corry View Post
                                                                            Not going to happen buddy, either the Colts or Texans win the division.
                                                                            GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Just seen on ESPN Colts plan to fire Chuck Pagano.

Now if we can get rid of Grigson too!
                                                                              GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Just seen on ESPN Colts plan to fire Chuck Pagano.

Now if we can get rid of Grigson too!
                                                                                Who would you like to see them hire?
                                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                                  Who would you like to see them hire?
                                                                                  Not sure. I don't think scene was the problem I think personal is the biggest issue.
                                                                                  GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I still hope they hire Harbaugh. UM claims NFL teams are interested, but I am not buying it.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Prof K View Post
                                                                                      I still hope they hire Harbaugh. UM claims NFL teams are interested, but I am not buying it.
                                                                                      I don't think Harbaugh will leave after one year.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I don't think Harbaugh will leave after one year.
                                                                                        I agree...but how awesome would that be to watch their fans meltdown and recruits jump ship?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Pagano has agreed to an extension. Tune in live to watch the press conference at 10:30PM tonight</p>&mdash; Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) <a href="https://twitter.com/Colts/status/684202799979171842">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
                                                                                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                          GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Well we're screwed!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Everyone will return for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a>. That&#39;s coach Chuck Pagano AND GM Ryan Grigson.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/684204708597207044">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
                                                                                            GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Makes no sense at all to keep them. People would be jumping at the HC and GM spot with Luck there. Luck's cap hit goes from $7,000,000 to $16,000,000 next year and will only go up once he signs his mega-deal. It's just going to get tougher to fill out the roster once he is making top-QB money. Not sure why anyone would trust Grigson with building a roster around that contract. As for Pagano, he seems like the definition of an average coach. You guys could 100% do better. I know the injury situation was bad, but it was just as bad in Houston.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Well we're screwed!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Everyone will return for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a>. That's coach Chuck Pagano AND GM Ryan Grigson.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/684204708597207044">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
                                                                                                I'm with you. While I don't think Pagano is the guy to get us back to the promised land, Grigson has been absolute trash as a GM. His draft picks have been terrible and his free agent signings (while they looked flashy at the time) have been completely shitty. Disappointing all around.
                                                                                                MZ is the QB for me!!!!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Makes no sense at all to keep them. People would be jumping at the HC and GM spot with Luck there. Luck's cap hit goes from $7,000,000 to $16,000,000 next year and will only go up once he signs his mega-deal. It's just going to get tougher to fill out the roster once he is making top-QB money. Not sure why anyone would trust Grigson with building a roster around that contract. As for Pagano, he seems like the definition of an average coach. You guys could 100% do better.
                                                                                                  Completely agree.
                                                                                                  MZ is the QB for me!!!!

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I'm ok with the Pagano extension, what pisses me off is that we are going to relive this year next year. What changes? NOTHING. We will have another shitty draft and not get any help on the O-line or defense to help Luck.

Thanks Irsay, thanks a lot!
                                                                                                    GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X