Mayweather/Pacquiao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather/Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he wants to fight Manny Pacquiao, proposes May 2 bout - ESPN

Would love to see it finally happen. Not holding my breath.

Bamb...wish this was 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
      Bamb...wish this was 2010
      Exactly.
      Manny is still an amazing fighter, but his best days are def behind him. Really would have loved to see a fight several years ago.

Comment

IMO, it's not much of a fight anymore. Pacquiao is basically done at this point and Floyd has enough left to dust him. With that said Manny has 1 punch knock out power so I'd watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
          IMO, it's not much of a fight anymore. Pacquiao is basically done at this point and Floyd has enough left to dust him. With that said Manny has 1 punch knock out power so I'd watch.
          How I see it as well. Manny still can pack a knockdown, but Floyd is closer to his prime.

Also, I don't know but think there might be some truth to the Manny steroid rumors. I have no information, so don't ask. With that said, I think Floyd would have fought him years ago if it was a "fair" fight.

Comment

I think a few years ago Manny would have won but Floyd ducked him for years and now Manny seems to be running on fumes. That said I would still be excited to see this fight. There have been so few big fights in the past five to ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
              I think a few years ago Manny would have won but Floyd ducked him for years and now Manny seems to be running on fumes. That said I would still be excited to see this fight. There have been so few big fights in the past five to ten years.
              I think Floyd "ducked" him because he felt the fight wasn't fair...which I tend to agree with, but who really knows?

Regardless, ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE.....? :)

Comment

I like and or respect the heck out of both of these fighters, I think they were two of the best fighters to come along in a very long time. Floyd is a boxing savant. With that being said, I do not think Floyd deserves this fight. There was a time to fight it and decide who was the best and that time passed, mostly IMO because Floyd expected Manny to slow down a couple years ago and didn't want the fight when Manny was still in his prime. I love watching Floyd perform, but IMO he never learned some of the most important principles of having a competitive spirit. He has spent his career fighting people he KNOWS he can beat, and that is a shame because I think his God given ability is almost unparalleled and there were a few challengers who could have enabled him to dig further into himself and possibly been the greatest boxer in modern times.
                Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

I think Floyd "ducked" him because he felt the fight wasn't fair...which I tend to agree with, but who really knows?

Regardless, ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE.....? :)
                  Why wasn't it fair? Do you think Manny was taking something during his run?

Comment

Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                    Yes...

Comment

Yes...
                      Anyone that fights Floyd is contractually obligated to take an extensive blood test.. Manny refused to take that test numerous times, claiming it was a shot at his credibility.. Take from that what you will.

Floyd never ducked him.

Comment

Originally posted by no.1IrishFan
                        Too much money on the line. The revenue this fight would generate, after years of anticipation, would be too much to pass up. I've never purchased a ppv fight, I would for this one. I assume this would easily be both fighters biggest payday to date.
                        Yup, me too...$$$

Comment

Pac will go night night by the same counter that JMM used.

Comment

Yes...
                            Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                            Anyone that fights Floyd is contractually obligated to take an extensive blood test.. Manny refused to take that test numerous times, claiming it was a shot at his credibility.. Take from that what you will.

Floyd never ducked him.
                            Manny as far as we know has never failed a drug test. Ever. He agreed to any random urine or blood test up to the press conference before the fight and the obligatory testing done post fight. I am sorry but Mayweather's request for blood testing up to the fight, which he had never requested before and the constant moving of the goal post seemed to me to be a Mayweather who knew he could not just outright avoid the fight, but an intent to postpone the fight until MP started to show the signs of an aging fighter way outside of his initial weight class. And I love Mayweather! But he has never been in a fight that he knew he wouldn't win. Manny was a fight where he was not sure what the outcome would be and that was not good enough odds for "Money". You could see the ripple effect in his personal life once people began to suspect the same.

Comment

Manny as far as we know has never failed a drug test. Ever. He agreed to any random urine or blood test up to the press conference before the fight and the obligatory testing done post fight. I am sorry but Mayweather's request for blood testing up to the fight, which he had never requested before and the constant moving of the goal post seemed to me to be a Mayweather who knew he could not just outright avoid the fight, but an intent to postpone the fight until MP started to show the signs of an aging fighter way outside of his initial weight class. And I love Mayweather! But he has never been in a fight that he knew he wouldn't win. Manny was a fight where he was not sure what the outcome would be and that was not good enough odds for "Money". You could see the ripple effect in his personal life once people began to suspect the same.
                              I agree with all of this. The Manny Pacquiao that i watched nearly end Ricky Hatton's life in the ring would have taken Mayweather apart, and Floyd knew it. He dodged the fight until now when he feels like he has the upperhand.

I wouldn't put any money on Manny in a fight now, but I wouldn't be shocked if he trains harder than ever just so he can wipe the smile off that pretty boys face. Mayweather laying face down on the canvas would make me happier than 10 christmases rolled into one.

Comment

Floyd won't agree on terms until Manny is in the grave. Then he'll call Manny a pussy.

Comment

Pactards are the worst.

Comment

I've heard they want a rematch clause, which to me sounds like pac may win first fight or draw first fight. And then next fight gets even more buzz and money and mayweather wins

Comment

Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                                      I've heard they want a rematch clause, which to me sounds like pac may win first fight or draw first fight. And then next fight gets even more buzz and money and mayweather wins
                                      The problem is Pacquaio's PPV numbers are garbage. His last fight was 300,000 as opposed to Mayweather's at 1,000,000. The split should be 70-30 and Arum will never go for that. Arum will stop this fight because he thinks he has leverage when in reality Mayweather can fight Khan and sell 1,000,000 + PPV buys. Meanwhile Pacquaio just fought a guy in his 2nd 12 round fight ever in Algeiri. Another obstacle is the Cotto-Canelo fight that is very close to being signed. Why would Golden Boy and Top Rank promote two fights in the same night considering Maywesther always fights on Cinco de Mayo? Conflicting interests for sure. I would much rather see Pacquaio fight Broner/Khan/Danny Garcia.

Comment

Floyd ducked Manny when it mattered...and he can't duck that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post

Floyd never ducked him.
                                          Contractually obligated to take a blood test by a firm of Mayweather's choosing. Pacq agreed to Olympic drug testing every single time a fight was proposed. He wasn't against getting tested, but not by some kangaroo court that Mayweather comes up with. Especially considering the way Mayweather handles himself.

Why should a fighter risk his reputation getting extensive drug testing done by a firm without the 3rd party credibility that the Olympic testing provides? Every other fight is done with Olympic testing, which is one of the best testing organizations in the world.
                                          Last edited by woolybug25; 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM.
                                          Originally posted by koonja
                                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                            Contractually obligated to take a blood test by a firm of Mayweather's choosing. Pacq agreed to Olympic drug testing every single time a fight was proposed. He wasn't against getting tested, but not by some kangaroo court that Mayweather comes up with. Especially considering the way Mayweather handles himself.

Why should a fighter risk his reputation getting extensive drug testing done by a firm without the 3rd party credibility that the Olympic testing provides? Every other fight is done with Olympic testing, which is one of the best testing organizations in the world.
                                            No he didn't. He only agreed to Olypmic style testing up to 21 days of the fight. That is not random by any stretch. It is widely known that Arum and Top Rank did not want to make the fight because he (being Manny) was their cash cow.

Take a look at Manny's fights and see how cherry picking fights are done:

Hatton (fought after a loss)
                                            Cotto (fought after a loss) and after Margarito softened his face with cement gloves and catch weight
                                            Clottey (catch weight)
                                            Margarito (fought after a loss) and catch weight, Margarito had to take diet pills just to make weight
                                            De La Hoya (past his prime and hadn't fought at 147 in more than 5 years)
                                            Chris Algeiri (2nd 12 round fight ever) beat nobody
                                            Brandon Rios (human punching bag, got lucky and beat Alvarado in a slugfest brawl)
                                            Bradley (lost but should have won) not dominating

Pacquaio was juicing and even Freddie Roach eludes to it. Pacquaio has not knocked anyone out since. All of a sudden he can't knock out guys that are smaller, less power, and less talent? How to do you go from knocking out middleweights to not even able to knock out Bradley. Meanwhile it is widely regarded that Manny has but ducking Amir Khan becuase his whole camp knows Amir can beat him easily from past sparring matches.

Manny could be fighting better talent. Broner, Maidana, Danny Garcia, Devon Alexander, Amir Khan, Andre Berto, Victor Ortiz. But no, he fights some chump Algeiri and wonders why his PPV numbers are down, trying to build wins and make him look good just to sign the Mayweather fight.

You think Pacquiao would ever step in the ring with Canelo? Hell no. Is he ducking him? After all Manyy did fight Margarito at 154 errrr catchweight 150. Manny has been avoiding fights like crazy. Danny Garcia just called him out, Amir Khan calls him out all the time, but instead he fights Algerii and Rio, and Bradley, a guy with no power and barely any knockouts.

Then you have Mayweather fighting guys off of wins. He fought Canelo and broke PPV numbers. Every opponent Mayweather faces takes the drug testing except Manny and yet somehow the public sees it as Mayweather being too demanding. Okay.

Comment

I would love nothing more than to see Floyd "I Beat Women on the Regular" Mayweather get his ass handed to him in the ring.

But it will never happen.

Comment

Two fighters well past their prime. Wouldn't be as good as his they had done this 5 years ago, but would still be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDome View Post
                                                  No he didn't. He only agreed to Olypmic style testing up to 21 days of the fight. That is not random by any stretch. It is widely known that Arum and Top Rank did not want to make the fight because he (being Manny) was their cash cow.

Take a look at Manny's fights and see how cherry picking fights are done:

Hatton (fought after a loss)
                                                  Cotto (fought after a loss) and after Margarito softened his face with cement gloves and catch weight
                                                  Clottey (catch weight)
                                                  Margarito (fought after a loss) and catch weight, Margarito had to take diet pills just to make weight
                                                  De La Hoya (past his prime and hadn't fought at 147 in more than 5 years)
                                                  Chris Algeiri (2nd 12 round fight ever) beat nobody
                                                  Brandon Rios (human punching bag, got lucky and beat Alvarado in a slugfest brawl)
                                                  Bradley (lost but should have won) not dominating

Pacquaio was juicing and even Freddie Roach eludes to it. Pacquaio has not knocked anyone out since. All of a sudden he can't knock out guys that are smaller, less power, and less talent? How to do you go from knocking out middleweights to not even able to knock out Bradley. Meanwhile it is widely regarded that Manny has but ducking Amir Khan becuase his whole camp knows Amir can beat him easily from past sparring matches.

Manny could be fighting better talent. Broner, Maidana, Danny Garcia, Devon Alexander, Amir Khan, Andre Berto, Victor Ortiz. But no, he fights some chump Algeiri and wonders why his PPV numbers are down, trying to build wins and make him look good just to sign the Mayweather fight.

You think Pacquiao would ever step in the ring with Canelo? Hell no. Is he ducking him? After all Manyy did fight Margarito at 154 errrr catchweight 150. Manny has been avoiding fights like crazy. Danny Garcia just called him out, Amir Khan calls him out all the time, but instead he fights Algerii and Rio, and Bradley, a guy with no power and barely any knockouts.

Then you have Mayweather fighting guys off of wins. He fought Canelo and broke PPV numbers. Every opponent Mayweather faces takes the drug testing except Manny and yet somehow the public sees it as Mayweather being too demanding. Okay.
                                                  I agree with this. Reps.

I just have the opinion that Manny juiced and wanted Mayweather at that time. Why be so against the random testing when you were a KO machine but ok with it now that you're going the distance?

Comment

Honestly? I'll watch but disappointed because it should've been had years ago.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. Bob Arum is full of shit. To quote Bob, "Yesterday, I was lying. Today, I'm telling the truth."
                                                      sigpic

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr. hopeful 'we can make it happen' - ESPN

Comment

Manny probably realizes this is his last chance for a big payday and if he doesn't take it, he won't make the money fighting anyone else. Does anyone know if Manny has blown through his winnings? I thought I read something a while back that he doesn't have much left?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                            Manny probably realizes this is his last chance for a big payday and if he doesn't take it, he won't make the money fighting anyone else. Does anyone know if Manny has blown through his winnings? I thought I read something a while back that he doesn't have much left?

I thought I heard he was very unwise with his earnings. I agree...this fight should have happened 5 years ago. Manny has lost since plans first started so I think this fight has lost it's luster already.
                                                            You can't spell dumb without "UM" or suck without "SC"
                                                            "Losers always whine about their best... Winners go home with the Prom Queen."

Comment

Still would rather see Mayweather fight Ronda Rousey

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sDJ-_NJLBmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                                                                Still would rather see Mayweather fight Ronda Rousey

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sDJ-_NJLBmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                This is silly.

Comment

Not sure where to post this, but Mayweather may be stripped of his 147 title.

Floyd Mayweather Will Reportedly Be Stripped of One of His Titles on Monday | Complex CA

Comment

LOL, he just had $220 million reasons not to care what the WBO thinks.

Comment

Can’t find the general boxing thread. I thought I started it.
                                                                      Oh well, who’s watching the fight tonight? Thoughts?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                      Working...
                                                                      X