Chicago White Sox... The thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Southside Sully View Post

Sniffing around Yadi I heard, no italics.. Do not want but if its cheap, sure.
    Heard the same thing on twitter. Who knows if it's true.

Also heard they're considering a move to pick up Ian Kennedy from the Rangers and using him as a set up man rather than a closer.

Tons of articles about Kimbrell as well but I don't see the Cubs potentially gift wrapping a WS for the Sox and we don't have enough to give them in return (I assume there are teams out there willing to give up a lot to get his arm this year). That would essential end a lot of games in the 7th inning with Kimbrell and Liam pitching in the last two.

Comment

• Lol this is very possibly Yadi's last season. Cardinals wouldn't give him up for anything less than a haul for that reason alone, so y'all can rest easy.

Comment

Sniffing around Yadi I heard, no italics.. Do not want but if its cheap, sure.
        I can't imagine that's realistic. Why trade valuable assets when you already have a starting catcher? Molina would be good to have, but with Grandal on his way back, that just isn't a wise investment, unless he can be had for really cheap.
        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Nelson Cruz to Tampa Bay is going to make them even better, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
            Nelson Cruz to Tampa Bay is going to make them even better, IMO.
            Without a doubt. He can still pound the ball and I've heard he's a great vet to have in the clubhouse. Big get for them.

Comment

Nelson Cruz to Tampa Bay is going to make them even better, IMO.
              Chicago has a series with Tampa in August. Apart from that, maybe need to worry about this in October. Otherwise, he's out of your division. That's good.
              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Chicago has a series with Tampa in August. Apart from that, maybe need to worry about this in October. Otherwise, he's out of your division. That's good.
                Well yeah... all worries or excitement from here on out are towards October in my book.

Comment

Well yeah... all worries or excitement from here on out are towards October in my book.
                  I just can't help but be ultra paranoid.

I get that 9 games is a comfortable lead and the Cleveland (Guard)ians aren't exactly threatening right now, but I was following back in 2005 when the White Sox had a 15 game lead further into the season than now and I watched that lead dwindle down to a game and a half midway through September.
                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• https://www.foxsports.com/articles/m...z-to-white-sox

Hernandez is in his second year with the Indians, who trail the White Sox by 8 1/2 games. He's batting .231 this season with 18 home runs and 47 RBIs in 96 games.
                    Cleveland waving the white flag, I guess.

Comment

• Comment

• Not sure what to think of this.

I hate losing Nicky. That dude was automatic on the paths but coming off another major injury and his defense being less than I had hoped, I think it's an acceptable loss.

Meanwhile for this year, HOLY SH*T. The pen went from barely staying afloat to a 3-man wrecking crew with Kopech and Hendriks to go with Kimbrel.

Good luck scoring on the White Sox any day the top 3 aren't on the mound.
                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                          Not sure what to think of this.

I hate losing Nicky. That dude was automatic on the paths but coming off another major injury and his defense being less than I had hoped, I think it's an acceptable loss.

Meanwhile for this year, HOLY SH*T. The pen went from barely staying afloat to a 3-man wrecking crew with Kopech and Hendriks to go with Kimbrel.

Good luck scoring on the White Sox any day the top 3 aren't on the mound.
                          Really liked Madrigal and he'll hit 300 plus for the next decade but the Sox just basically forced teams into 7 inning games with this move, and that doesn't even account for Kopech. Crotchet and Bummer have had some issues this year but both can be unhittable at times too. This gives them some flexibility and it wouldn't shock me if Kopech is placed into the starting rotation sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Madrigal will hurt, but his Slugging blows, his base running was suspect and same with this glove.. Have to give up a piece to win, and its him. Sox have team option for Hernandez next year, who has 18 homers this season, 2 gold gloves. This is what happens when you have a winning franchise, who still has many more bullets in the chamber for future trades if need be too. LFG boys!

Comment

• Good move. Kimbrel's not a rental and you have lots of control with Hendriks that you could move him for great value down the line.

Comment

Madrigal will hurt, but his Slugging blows, his base running was suspect and same with this glove.. Have to give up a piece to win, and its him. Sox have team option for Hernandez next year, who has 18 homers this season, 2 gold gloves. This is what happens when you have a winning franchise, who still has many more bullets in the chamber for future trades if need be too. LFG boys!
                                Yep. It's always hard to part ways with homegrown talent, especially when he seemed to fit really nicely in the lineup with a bunch of big hitters.

But his injury history was becoming problematic, and there's no guarantee his defense gets to where we expected it to be. And his suspect base running does kind of mitigate what he does best. He really can't afford to be less than good at any of those things without any power behind his bat.
                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

Yep. It's always hard to part ways with homegrown talent, especially when he seemed to fit really nicely in the lineup with a bunch of big hitters.

But his injury history was becoming problematic, and there's no guarantee his defense gets to where we expected it to be. And his suspect base running does kind of mitigate what he does best. He really can't afford to be less than good at any of those things without any power behind his bat.
                                  Exactly. It sucks, but this team can not wait on his injury and the rest over the next couple years. If Cesar hits, he is here next year, or Sox could do something with Yo and Burger for 2b and 3b perhaps. Also look to trade or free agency as Escobar could be a nice 1-2 year fix too

Comment

• What a deadline this front office had. Absolutely outstanding. They go on to take 2/3 from their closest division rival to start things off.

Really pulling for this squad to get it done in October. It's going to be tough for them but they have the pieces in place and are getting healthy in time for the playoffs, which they will be in.
                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Eloy's en fuego.

4 HR's and 10 RBI's in the last 11 innings.

That first home run tonight looked like it hit off the second story Delta Sky Box in straight away center.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post
                                        Eloy's en fuego.

4 HR's and 10 RBI's in the last 11 innings.

That first home run tonight looked like it hit off the second story Delta Sky Box in straight away center.
                                        No doubt. I never realized how big he was until Sunday night vs the Cubs. Dude is a giant. Weren’t Eloy & Cease both Cubs farmhands?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post

No doubt. I never realized how big he was until Sunday night vs the Cubs. Dude is a giant. Weren’t Eloy & Cease both Cubs farmhands?
                                          Yes. They came over in the trade for Jose Quintana. CWS also received Moncada and Kopech from Boston for Chris Sale. They cashed in on two starters when starting pitching was at a premium and it is likely going to be the core of their rebuild when all is said and done. Cease just needs to trust his stuff more because it's awesome. He needn't putz around and walk guys. He has the stuff to be dominant. It's coming.

When this team homers, they win. Ball go far, team go far. They will win the Central and it is now a race to get the best record in the AL for home field. They have a bullpen that is scary beyond belief, very solid starting pitching and a nice group of diversified bench players that can play around at different positions.

I think the Twins and Tigers can catch up faster than most think, but this team has arrived. Their time is now. The trade for Hernandez is going to be one of the best moves they've made during the course of all of this rebuilding. He can hit for power and is a slick glove at second. They need that defense.

Comment

• They're slightly better than a .500 team on the road so home field will be relatively important.

Bummer has looked a lot better the last handful of games he's pitched. He gets lost in the mix of bullpen guys but he's tough to hit when he's on and has one of the best sliders in the majors.

Cease looked good his last two starts and agree he could be dominant - just look at his K/9 stat line.

This stretch of games coming up, Yankees, A's, Rays, and Blue Jays, will be interesting.

Comment

• Bummer has been unhittable since he has been back. In 7 2/3 he has 4 hits, 10Ks 4 BBs.. but in the last 5 appearances, he has 1 hit, 7ks 1BB. Once Grandal gets back, and we have everyone else hopefully healthy, it will be the first time we have had the true line up. It is a scary thought what this team can do. Eloy is just now getting his major league timing back after a week and is killing the ball. It wouldn't be hard to imagine Robert is same in about 10 days or so. Hernandez has been a great pick up. He is flashing leather, and putting some mustard behind the ball at the plate. His is 278/409/444 since joining the club with 2 homers, 10 hits, 8 BBs, 7 Runs in 10 games so far.

Comment

• Win 50 at home, .500 on the road, you're a 90 win team. It will be tight. Right now CHI, HOU and TB all project to about 95 wins. They need to keep pounding their division (they're .500 vs CLE and KC which is just baseball being baseball) and winning at home. The rest takes care of itself.

Tony LaRussa is going to win AL Manager of the Year. With the injuries and everything else it is inevitable. He's grown on me a bit this last month and I think he'll know how to leverage this bullpen.

They made all these moves and ultimately only gave up Nick Madrigal. Huge kudos to that front office. Their plan is coming to fruition. Wish the damn Pirates ran themselves like this.

Comment

• Did you guys see the graph last night about teams whose pitchers have thrown individual pitches of 95+ this season? I don't remember the teams at 2-5 but they were anywhere between 3100-3400 total pitches of 95+

The White Sox are at 4750.

I'm gonna start selling Gas City Sox gear on Ebay.

Comment

• The thing about this team is their pitching. Bullpen is now stacked, and Starters have been doing their job all season.. Get to the postseason, then small ball comes around.

Comment

The thing about this team is their pitching. Bullpen is now stacked, and Starters have been doing their job all season.. Get to the postseason, then small ball comes around.
                                                      Beg pardon, but what?

Keuchel going to be on the playoff roster? Right now, I'd say no. Take the extra position player.

Comment

Beg pardon, but what?

Keuchel going to be on the playoff roster? Right now, I'd say no. Take the extra position player.
                                                        Maybe. Still a long way to go before that question can be answered, imo. Are they going to make it ot October without an injury to the starting five. Rodon is injury prone, Gio and Cease have been up and down all year. They're currently pitching better than Keuchel but who the hell knows if that will remain true as we get closer to October.

He's the highest paid pitcher with the most experience. It'll be a tough decision to make that move. If he's left off of the roster, I think that would allow them to keep both Hamilton and Goodwin which is intriguing. Hamilton's speed and defense are valuable and Goodwin has swung the bat far better than anyone aniticpated. This all assumes that Engel, Robert and Eloy stay healthy as well. If anyone gets hurt again, both of those guys stay and I'm not sure we have another position player that's worth keeping on at the expense of Keuchel's arm/experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Maybe. Still a long way to go before that question can be answered, imo. Are they going to make it ot October without an injury to the starting five. Rodon is injury prone, Gio and Cease have been up and down all year. They're currently pitching better than Keuchel but who the hell knows if that will remain true as we get closer to October.

He's the highest paid pitcher with the most experience. It'll be a tough decision to make that move. If he's left off of the roster, I think that would allow them to keep both Hamilton and Goodwin which is intriguing. Hamilton's speed and defense are valuable and Goodwin has swung the bat far better than anyone aniticpated. This all assumes that Engel, Robert and Eloy stay healthy as well. If anyone gets hurt again, both of those guys stay and I'm not sure we have another position player that's worth keeping on at the expense of Keuchel's arm/experience.
                                                          Keichel has a 0.3 WAR right now. That's not much higher than Lopez or Stiever, who is in AAA.

I think at best he's in the bullpen but not starting games if he stays in current form. Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease are your four starters.

My goodness this bullpen is just crazy stacked. And it will be leveraged by a master October bullpen leveraging manager once they get to the playoffs.

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...t-arm-soreness

right on cue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                              If it is retroactive, no big deal. I think it doesn't bode well for him come winter when he's looking for a new deal from Chicago or anyone else. At this point, be cautious so he's ready for October. If Rodon and his agent are looking for anything more than a 2 year deal, they may have trouble finding a taker there.

They have Lopez and it sounds like they don't want to stretch Kopech out, which is interesting considering that the rest of their regular season is just about meaningless, so why not start him and see what is there? They're really insisting on just leaving him as a one inning setup guy?

Calling up Matt Foster is interesting. He's bad.

Comment

• What a great week of the national spotlight for this team, specifically TA and Eloy.. From Sunday Night, Monday Night homerun parade on ESPN, to last nights Homer filled Field of Dreams walk off, you have to imagine Southsiders gaining some new fans. What an ending. MLB has to be loving what they have gotten this week too.

Comment

• I know it was only one game, but boy, did Miguel Cairo look like a good manager. Maybe he's the next man up once Tony is gone.

Comment

I know it was only one game, but boy, did Miguel Cairo look like a good manager. Maybe he's the next man up once Tony is gone.
                                                                    I think its him or Joe McEwing honestly.

Comment

I think its him or Joe McEwing honestly.
                                                                      Google says he and Cairo are the same age.

When they reshuffled their staff, Cairo was hired as bench coach and McEwing stayed as third base coach. Might not mean anything per long term planning, but either or both could get offers from other clubs too.

Anyway, I liked what Cairo was doing last night. Getting Kopech out before he killed that umpire was super smart.

Comment

Google says he and Cairo are the same age.

When they reshuffled their staff, Cairo was hired as bench coach and McEwing stayed as third base coach. Might not mean anything per long term planning, but either or both could get offers from other clubs too.

Anyway, I liked what Cairo was doing last night. Getting Kopech out before he killed that umpire was super smart.
                                                                        Dude's B & S's were BS. Worst I've seen maybe ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Dude's B & S's were BS. Worst I've seen maybe ever.
                                                                          Nobody is worse than Angel Hernandez. That guy in Iowa was pretty bad, though.

Comment

• Tony LaRussa really dressed down his catcher last night in the dugout for all the cameras to see. The guy is about to turn 28 and this is really his first cup of coffee in the Majors. Lance Lynn shouldered the blame in the post game presser.

This team definitely needs a back up catcher on their squad for next year. Grandal being out really exposed that.

Love Zack Collins' plate discipline but his game hasn't really evolved apart from that.

Comment

Tony LaRussa really dressed down his catcher last night in the dugout for all the cameras to see. The guy is about to turn 28 and this is really his first cup of coffee in the Majors. Lance Lynn shouldered the blame in the post game presser.

This team definitely needs a back up catcher on their squad for next year. Grandal being out really exposed that.

Love Zack Collins' plate discipline but his game hasn't really evolved apart from that.
                                                                              Zavala will be on the playoff roster over Collins...Besides a couple blunders last night, he is by far the best defensive catcher in the entire organization

Comment

Zavala will be on the playoff roster over Collins...Besides a couple blunders last night, he is by far the best defensive catcher in the entire organization
                                                                                Not saying a lot. I think he's a pretty good framer based on what I've seen of him but 7 passed balls in 26 games? That's not good on top of 6 PB in 27 games in AAA this season as well. Collins is not a good framer at all.

Something for them to consider this winter. Go back to the Cubs for Wilson Contreras maybe.

Comment

Not saying a lot. I think he's a pretty good framer based on what I've seen of him but 7 passed balls in 26 games? That's not good on top of 6 PB in 27 games in AAA this season as well. Collins is not a good framer at all.

Something for them to consider this winter. Go back to the Cubs for Wilson Contreras maybe.
                                                                                  Catching has been their achilles heal since #12 left, and his arm stunk, but he was a good catcher, and hitter.

Comment

Catching has been their achilles heal since #12 left, and his arm stunk, but he was a good catcher, and hitter.
                                                                                    Their achilles heel has been being bad. When Grandal is healthy he gets on base. They need a backup catcher pretty badly as this point.

Why'd they give up on Tyler Flowers?

To be fair, they started their rebuild and probably were not worried about what Omar Narvaez was going to do for them

Comment

• This team played 16 days in a row, had Monday off, then had two with the Pirates. Just what the doctor ordered.

Comment

This team played 16 days in a row, had Monday off, then had two with the Pirates. Just what the doctor ordered.
                                                                                        Yes sir.. also with some faux, IL stints to get a few guys rested. I'm ok with it. Get them ready for the long haul, race for home field and the playoffs. Only one who isn't going who needs it more than anyone is Dallas.

Comment

• Is it true the new pitching coach figured out that Reynaldo Lopez coudn't see? How the hell did this get by the Nationals and White Sox for so long?

Cease and Lopez look like different men. New pitching coach looks like he's doing things to get these guys to trust their stuff. That's the name of the game with the younger guys. Kopech looks like he trusts his stuff. Cease and Lopez didn't look that way prior to this year.

This team is so fun. Ball go far, team go far. They're crushing the ball and had their team together for the first time there for a bit. Get them healthy for October and let 'em rip.

Comment

• Looks like Sheets made the playoff roster last night.

On a team of right handed power, Sheets is .278/.356/646 w/ a 1.002 OPS, 5 doubles, 8 HR's and 20 RBIs in just 30 games.

Comment

• Some developmental gems in their lower farm system and some depth in Triple A. Very young squad. Magic Number is 15.

They have a little less than a month to get healthy and sort out their rotation. The series with Houston will be tough. I think they will need home field to advance.

Such a fun squad.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                              Working...
                                                                                              X