X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue219
    replied
    Such a fun team!

Thought Rodon was damaged goods for sure. What's even better is that Zack Collins caught the damn game for him, too. He'd been written off as a first baseman or DH. Rodon so far this year has looked very good when he's taken the mound. I would probably push his next start on Monday back a day or two after last night, which I'm sure is going to be an option.

White Sox had first round draft picks from 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2019 on the field for that no hitter last night. Great stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    Of all the things I expected to see this season, this definitely wasn't on that list. Pretty much everybody had written Rodon off and the fact that he managed to hold a spot in the rotation was seen as merely a placeholder until Kopech was ready.

Dude always had the stuff, but injury after injury after injury has basically kept him from realizing his potential.

And now he's part of baseball history.

Congrats on the no-hitter Carlos Rodon!

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
    I honestly don't even mind the players 'self-policing' based on the 'unwritten' rules. Plus, it seems like the current generation of young guys, both batters AND pitchers, know that it's okay to show a little emotion, anyway. The "my-feelings-are-hurt" and "gonna-bean-you-for-bat-flipping" snowflake shit is slowly going away.

What drives me nuts is the inconsistency with the MLB. Yadier Molina has a documented history of bumping (and spitting on) umpires, and is an instigator behind home plate at the slightest sign of disrespect... but he gets off with a light fine after bumping an umpire on his way to grabbing another player by the back of the neck (a player who was walking away, at that!).

Even if you think Catellanos deserved some retribution for flexing on a pitcher who hit him, and even if you think Castellanos deserved all of it for showboating a home run on opening day... none of it goes to explain Yadier Molina being bullet-proof in the eyes of the MLB. It's bananas!
    I think the last of this kind of player is just about gone. It truly is for the best for everyone. The game, the fans, everyone. If I want to watch boxing or MMA, I'll do that. Baseball is the sport where two dude have beef and in order to sort it out all the relief pitchers need to come running out of the bullpen to sort the beef out.

Bores me to tears to see these pillow fights happen every so often.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

We played in a co-ed league in college, and one of the teams was clearly the team full of douchebags. Their pitcher could hit the shit out of the ball, but he'd yell at all of the female players on his team, and in a super not-cool way. So we all started targeting him with rockets up the middle.

They changed the rule and made a liner back at the pitcher an automatic out lol.
    What? That's insane

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    My dad and uncles think "these guys need to make more contact and put the ball in play."

I saw a 93 MPH change up two nights ago. LOL. Ok. Make more contact. Sure.

The game should be fun and celebrated. Slowly but surely the old, crusty mindset of decades ago is starting to rot away. It's truly a good thing. Those longing for the past will seek their entertainment elsewhere. Baseball has not been celebrated here like it is in South America, the Carribean, Korea, Japan. These players are starting to come to MLB having earned their way here and they're playing the game like it is a celebration. It's catching on among younger, whiter Americans now too. The talent is fantastic overall though there are still some really bad teams that aren't really trying.

MLB and the NBA are the two best gigs going for me right now. That makes me the minority just about everywhere, including this message board, but so be it.

I think we need to get over the Astros and move on, too, for what's it worth. Same goes for steroids.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

We played in a co-ed league in college, and one of the teams was clearly the team full of douchebags. Their pitcher could hit the shit out of the ball, but he'd yell at all of the female players on his team, and in a super not-cool way. So we all started targeting him with rockets up the middle.

They changed the rule and made a liner back at the pitcher an automatic out lol.
    Normalize Hitting Rockets Up the Middle

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

The same reason big guys push nerds into lockers lol. Because they can and because its culturally accepted. Lol. Thats my theory anyway.

It is pretty funny in our softball league...when we play one team who has a douchebag pitcher, all our power hitters hit it up the middle at him for the same reason... he can't do anything about it and it's culturally accepted in the league to target douchebags.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    I honestly don't even mind the players 'self-policing' based on the 'unwritten' rules. Plus, it seems like the current generation of young guys, both batters AND pitchers, know that it's okay to show a little emotion, anyway. The "my-feelings-are-hurt" and "gonna-bean-you-for-bat-flipping" snowflake shit is slowly going away.

What drives me nuts is the inconsistency with the MLB. Yadier Molina has a documented history of bumping (and spitting on) umpires, and is an instigator behind home plate at the slightest sign of disrespect... but he gets off with a light fine after bumping an umpire on his way to grabbing another player by the back of the neck (a player who was walking away, at that!).

Even if you think Catellanos deserved some retribution for flexing on a pitcher who hit him, and even if you think Castellanos deserved all of it for showboating a home run on opening day... none of it goes to explain Yadier Molina being bullet-proof in the eyes of the MLB. It's bananas!

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by mango4 View Post

That's my point. Batters don't get to "punish" pitchers for celebrating, why do pitchers punish batter for doing the same thing they do?
    The same reason big guys push nerds into lockers lol. Because they can and because its culturally accepted. Lol. Thats my theory anyway.

It is pretty funny in our softball league...when we play one team who has a douchebag pitcher, all our power hitters hit it up the middle at him for the same reason... he can't do anything about it and it's culturally accepted in the league to target douchebags.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

I guess it's a little harder to punish a pitcher. Only half of them take at-bats.
    That's my point. Batters don't get to "punish" pitchers for celebrating, why do pitchers punish batter for doing the same thing they do?

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

I don't get why a batter has to get "punished" for being demonstrative after a big hit in a key situation but a pitcher can do the exact same thing after getting out of a jam and there's no "punishment" for him.
    I guess it's a little harder to punish a pitcher. Only half of them take at-bats.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

The unwritten rules of baseball always confuse me but its fun to watch the punishment of alleged violations.
    I don't get why a batter has to get "punished" for being demonstrative after a big hit in a key situation but a pitcher can do the exact same thing after getting out of a jam and there's no "punishment" for him.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post

One of many points to support his tone-deafness on every issue. The All-Star Game is just the latest. Had he actually read the law I don’t think he would’ve led w/ his grandstanding. I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him urging the city to have a conversation about the law but to be so ill-informed and then jump to moving the game from ATL to DENVER makes him look drunk. Even Mark Emmert wouldn’t have been so ill-advised/informed...and that’s saying something
    I wouldn't mind if they moved the ASG because they actually took issue with the law. I have a problem with the grandstanding and caving in because of pressure on Twitter by many who probably don't even like baseball. People tried to do the same to the PGA Tour about the Masters this weekend. I'm all in favor of the leagues and players taking action about topics they believe in, but don't cave to pressure and be weak.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    Im confused.... should a man be free to flip his bat? If so should he be attacked for flipping his bat? If he flips his bat being a free man is he a bitch?
    The unwritten rules of baseball always confuse me but its fun to watch the punishment of alleged violations.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Im confused.... should a man be free to flip his bat? If so should he be attacked for flipping his bat? If he flips his bat being a free man is he a bitch?

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Manfred: "The fans will punish the Astros enough. We don't need to punish them, or strip them of their title."

Also Manfred: "Yeah, you can't flex when you get home, 2 game suspension."
    One of many points to support his tone-deafness on every issue. The All-Star Game is just the latest. Had he actually read the law I don’t think he would’ve led w/ his grandstanding. I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him urging the city to have a conversation about the law but to be so ill-informed and then jump to moving the game from ATL to DENVER makes him look drunk. Even Mark Emmert wouldn’t have been so ill-advised/informed...and that’s saying something

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    I love the young crop of stars right now & MLB must capitalize on them if they want to gain a wider audience...specifically the younger demo. Nike is trying some uniform gimmicks w/ the larger cities. I have no problem with it but I don’t think the future of MLB rests on the shoulders of artists at Nike. They need a younger Commissioner who is not so out of touch w/ both the fans & the players. I never thought it could get worse than Bud Selig, but Manfred is easily worse than him IMO.
    Manfred: "The fans will punish the Astros enough. We don't need to punish them, or strip them of their title."

Also Manfred: "Yeah, you can't flex when you get home, 2 game suspension."

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I love the young crop of stars right now & MLB must capitalize on them if they want to gain a wider audience...specifically the younger demo. Nike is trying some uniform gimmicks w/ the larger cities. I have no problem with it but I don’t think the future of MLB rests on the shoulders of artists at Nike. They need a younger Commissioner who is not so out of touch w/ both the fans & the players. I never thought it could get worse than Bud Selig, but Manfred is easily worse than him IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    Baseball is turning into the Democratic Party. A bunch of bitches. Tatis jr should get hit hard for that bat flip.
    Never has a post encapsulated a general mindset so completely.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Baseball is turning into the Democratic Party. A bunch of bitches. Tatis jr should get hit hard for that bat flip.
    Fucking hell man... You sound like one complaining about a bat flip. Let them have fun.

Leave a comment:

• nsisk157
    replied
    My Mets are in mid-season form. DeGrom throws 6 innings of shut out ball (77 pitches), gets pulled, and the pen gives up 5.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    The messages in this post are so conflicting lol

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied
    Cry more over a bat flip. My god.

ETA: What bat flip from Tatis has you so upset? The one from yesterday? That wasn’t even a bat flip.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post
    Castellanos is getting the raw end for being the first scuffle of the year and being on a team that seems to get into it quite often (see Amir Garrett fight, David Bell lead league in ejections). Of course blaming Yadier Molina for everything to ever happen to the Reds is easier
    BLAME YADI.

He's one of those dudes that I absolutely haaaaaaaaaaate... but I'd go to war for him if he played for Cincy lol. See also: Hines Ward.

Seriously, though, not even mad that it was the Cards/Yadi... it's that they're suspending Castellanos for flexing on a guy, even though he walked away and kept his hands to himself after the incident. But [any catcher] can bump the ump to join the fray, and the ump can get after him with contact, and that's not a problem? Baseball's unwritten rules can suck it.

Also presented as part of the Kangaroo Court: Castellanos got a heftier suspension than any of the Astros that cheated on the way to a world series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Castellanos is getting the raw end for being the first scuffle of the year and being on a team that seems to get into it quite often (see Amir Garrett fight, David Bell lead league in ejections). Of course blaming Yadier Molina for everything to ever happen to the Reds is easier

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Nick Castellanos got suspended two games for flexing on a pitcher that plunked him...

The pitcher got no reprimand, and Yadi got an 'undisclosed' fine.

I wish I could say I was surprised!

Their unwritten rules give new meaning to the word fossil.

Reds and Cardinals always seem to be involved in this sort of thing. The NL Central in general have a bunch of red ass teams in it.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

That was the Chairman's last, 'Win now' attempt which as a life long Sox fan I've appreciated BUT if that trade and the Cubs recent success blowing it up gets us to today. The sacrifice was worth it.

Now, if they could've kept him and Anderson or gotten appropriate compensation for Tatis, yeah sure, that would have been the cherry on top.

We'll win a WS or three in spite / because of this too. I mean We survived the Bonilla trade after all!
    James Shields was garbage before they got him. They were had, but I don't think that move was made by the current GM. I think that move was made by Mr. Williams and it was therefore his last. Things started changing for them later that July and every move since hasn't looked like any Williams moves.

Tatis at short with Moncada at third and Anderson at second? They're closer with that than they already are.

Last night the White Sox finally didn't allow an unearned run. That's progress. Truthfully, they'll win plenty of games handing that pen leads. Just wasn't their weekend. Angels look pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    For fun...Think of this as the Irish Envy Veterans Committee who can vote in legends to the HOF who you feel were overlooked in their original eligibility. Choose as many as 5. Who would get your vote...if any?

Ken Boyer
    Dick Allen
    Gil Hodges
    Jim Kaat
    Vada Pinson
    Tony Oliva
    Dave Parker
    Dave Concepcion
    Dale Murphy
    Steve Garvey
    Thurman Munson
    Bill Freehan
    Tommy John
    Minnie Minoso
    Maury Wills
    Luis Tiant
    Tony Oliva
    Thurman Munson
    Dale Murphey
    Steve Garvey
    Ken Boyer or Maury Wills

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Nick Castellanos got suspended two games for flexing on a pitcher that plunked him...

The pitcher got no reprimand, and Yadi got an 'undisclosed' fine.

I wish I could say I was surprised!

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    For fun...Think of this as the Irish Envy Veterans Committee who can vote in legends to the HOF who you feel were overlooked in their original eligibility. Choose as many as 5. Who would get your vote...if any?

Ken Boyer
    Dick Allen
    Gil Hodges
    Jim Kaat
    Vada Pinson
    Tony Oliva
    Dave Parker
    Dave Concepcion
    Dale Murphy
    Steve Garvey
    Thurman Munson
    Bill Freehan
    Tommy John
    Minnie Minoso
    Maury Wills
    Luis Tiant

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    How happy is the White Sox chairman that they traded Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields?

And how pissed is he that the Padres gave Tatis that contract when MLB owners are crying they have money constraints?

And how much are the Braves happy they signed Acuna for the deal they did?
    That was the Chairman's last, 'Win now' attempt which as a life long Sox fan I've appreciated BUT if that trade and the Cubs recent success blowing it up gets us to today. The sacrifice was worth it.

Now, if they could've kept him and Anderson or gotten appropriate compensation for Tatis, yeah sure, that would have been the cherry on top.

We'll win a WS or three in spite / because of this too. I mean We survived the Bonilla trade after all!

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied

The Twins suck*

*I’m very pissed off at the way they lost today. That shouldn’t have happened.
    Not a good sign when Donaldson goes down w/ injury in game one. He’ll be one of those “what if” guys b/c he can’t stay healthy.

I like their roster makeup. But as mentioned above, injuries matter. Hopefully, Donaldson can bounce back & Buxton needs to stay healthy. I have a rooting interest in that an old teammate from my youth league days is the Twins pitching coach.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

The Twins will win the World Series. That’s my hot take.
    The Twins suck*

*I’m very pissed off at the way they lost today. That shouldn’t have happened.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Covid takes it's first game as Mets and Nats are off. Buccos lead the Cubs early.

Predictions:

AL East: Yankees 98 wins
    AL Central: Twins 90 wins
    AL West: Astros 90 wins
    Wild Cards: Jays 87 wins, Angels 86 wins

NL East: Mets, 92 wins
    NL Central: Brewers, 85 wins
    NL West: Dodgers, 101 wins
    Wild Cards: Padres 95 wins, Braves 86 wins
    The Twins will win the World Series. That’s my hot take.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I love Kershaw but he’s passed his prime as far as getting to say when he starts & how long he stays in...IMO. I’ assuming he gets his say anyways...I could be wrong. He should be the #3 guy in the rotation based on effectiveness. He didn’t pitch horrible but his fastball is not effective as shown today when the Rockies got most of their hits w/ two strikes. The defense did him no favors today & neither did the bats but he should of left in the sixth after LA tied the game. He didn’t & promptly blew the lead.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Covid takes it's first game as Mets and Nats are off. Buccos lead the Cubs early.

Predictions:

AL East: Yankees 98 wins
    AL Central: Twins 90 wins
    AL West: Astros 90 wins
    Wild Cards: Jays 87 wins, Angels 86 wins

NL East: Mets, 92 wins
    NL Central: Brewers, 85 wins
    NL West: Dodgers, 101 wins
    Wild Cards: Padres 95 wins, Braves 86 wins

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Welp... We shall see how the young core does this year for the M's. Need to see progress and growth. Unfortunately, it also means we will see Seager get traded this summer. Though some bullpen and/or rotation help would be massively needed for the expected push in the coming years.

Leave a comment:

• tussin
    replied
    We're back boys. Go Yanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Acuna is a aggressive player. He very well could have injuried himself and cost himself money.
    Look, I can understand wanting to secure your long term future, but even if I am looking at it from that point of view that deal was steal staggeringly stupid. He's probably never going to make what his actual value is going to be. This isn't football or hockey. The risk of serious injury to non pitchers is pretty low, so however aggressive he might be, he screwed himself out of a lot of money signing the deal he did.

The White Sox gave Eloy Jimenez $43 million dollars before he ever played a day in the Majors and Acuna signed the deal he did? Stupid. Only a GM and owner would look at that and think it was a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied

James Shields was crap when they got him.

Acuna was a fool to sign that deal.
    Acuna is a aggressive player. He very well could have injuried himself and cost himself money.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Good for the Padres though to lock him up early. The White Sox’s screwed up.

The Braves were early and are getting a steal.
    James Shields was crap when they got him.

Acuna was a fool to sign that deal.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    How happy is the White Sox chairman that they traded Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields?

And how pissed is he that the Padres gave Tatis that contract when MLB owners are crying they have money constraints?

Good for the Padres though to lock him up early. The White Sox’s screwed up.

The Braves were early and are getting a steal.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    I heard a few things about the O’s that makes you wonder if they are staying in Baltimore. The lease they have at Camden Yards was up so they signed a new 2 year lease. That just seems odd. But with the 100 million the owners owe the Nationals due to the disaster with the masn network.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Go Rays
    If Cash leaves Snell in, they might win three championships in the city of Tampa, and they don't have an NBA team.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    FIFY. Dodgers are going to make a joke of the league this year.
    Nothing is guaranteed. Yankees proved in the 80s that throwing money at a roster guarantees nothing. You still have to throw money at the right guys as well as avoid trading away your young future stars in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle. Speaking of Bauer, look at the D’backs. They traded both Max Scherzer & Bauer away for basically nothing. That’s got zero to do with money and everything to do w/ talent evaluation and long-term investment. Some teams spend wisely. Some teams spend like Lotto winners & they’re broke w/in a decade.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    Go Padres
    Go Rays

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    I love it!

Buehler
    Kershaw
    Urias
    Bauer
    Gonsolin
    Price
    May

NL West should be the best race in MLB if it plays out like it seems to on paper. Hate the game, don’t hate the player.
    When you stack Aces on top of Aces like that we’re getting into the ATL 90s staff. But the above is better

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    I love it!

Buehler
    Kershaw
    Urias
    Bauer
    Gonsolin
    Price
    May

NL West should have the best Wild Card race in MLB if it plays out like it seems to on paper. Hate the game, don’t hate the player.
    FIFY. Dodgers are going to make a joke of the league this year.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X