Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue219
    replied
    New CBA is not likely by December 2nd, which means a lockout is coming. Will it cost games on the schedule is the question.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    Congrats to the Bravos. They deserve that Championship. What a great second half of the season. Lots of excellent contributors. Glad Freeman finally got a ring.
    They silenced a very good Astros lineup with pitching and defense.

Oh, then there's that other thing.

Only the Jays and Giants hit more home runs in the regular season. 16 postseason games, the Braves hit 23 dingers.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Congrats to the Bravos. They deserve that Championship. What a great second half of the season. Lots of excellent contributors. Glad Freeman finally got a ring.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

But does Jesus believe in karma? Checkmate libtards
    Jesus believes in home runs.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    I don't mean to disrupt all of the narratives and vindication, but if Major League Baseball and the Players Association have not agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement by midnight December 2, it is very likely that the sport’s owners will lock out the players. If that happens, all of the typical offseason transactions, from free agency to the arbitration process to the Rule 5 draft, would likely be frozen until a new deal is reached. The mid-December winter meetings would likely be canceled.

Baby Jesus the Baseball God didn't deliver a World Series to Atlanta to own the libs. The Braves hit a lot of home runs. That's my analytic take. Ball go far, team go far. The Braves scored 25 runs in the Series, and 18 of them (72%) came on home runs. For their postseason run, they scored 38 of their 65 runs on homers.

The Braves won 88 games in the regular season, the least of every playoff participant in 2021. Once you're in, the sample size shrinks and you've got a shot just like the team that won 107. This was living proof before our very eyes that it's a crapshoot. Well played, Braves. You don't need to be the best team in baseball. Just be the best team in October. And November I suppose.

In ten years, will people still hate the Astros?
    But does Jesus believe in karma? Checkmate libtards

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    My list of baseball fuck thems is long:

astros
    red sux
    doyers
    all the above’s collective fans
    and about 25 other teams,…

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

I don't care that they cheated or did whatever they did. But I care even less that fans are bothered by it.
    Agreed. I actually think it's rather amusing, though.

Incidentally, as you are a White Sox fan, get a look at Houston in 2021 vs the AL Central:

CWS: 5-2
    CLE: 6-1
    KC: 3-4
    MIN: 3-4
    DET: 2-5

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied

I mean, it's a message board right? Engage in sports conversations, no?

To answer, no, I'm not a stealth agent for the Houston Astros. I simply have an opinion about the situation that conflicts with yours. I'm okay. You seem really bent that I feel the way I do, and I'm likely in the minority as it relates to the Astros, which I am also comfortable with. I'm trying to understand why people are intent on being upset about this forever. You've explained it. Thank you.

Knock yourself out, man. I'm not going to be pissed about this until my dying day. Freedoms.
    I don't care that they cheated or did whatever they did. But I care even less that fans are bothered by it.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Absolutely correct it's on the MLB, but it's also on them, as a dirty organization.

MLB failed because Manfred clearly has no balls. He should also have been removed for it.
    The act was on them. The punishment or lack thereof is on MLB. In truth, if people really feel this strongly about it, a harsher sentence likely would not have mattered for people. Much, much different scenario but I still look at Penn State and think "gross." The people who were there for Sandusky to be enabled are long gone now. It doesn't change my perception, though. The punishment Penn State was nowhere near as severe as it should have been. I suppose I get it in this respect.

I believe others besides Houston and Boston have been doing this, though. That's why you don't see a lot of baseball people up in arms about it. They got away with it and won't throw stones.

I'm a Pirates fan. I know misery and bitterness better than most. I know people who still hate Sid Bream for sliding into home in the 1992 NLCS. I was fine with the Braves winning it the other night. Others still don't like Atlanta because of those LCS series 30 years ago. I think the franchise has far bigger fish to fry than carrying that weight, but I understand. Sid Bream is 61 years old now and played for the Pirates prior to going to Atlanta. He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but the Pirates (as we'd expect) offered him a deal that wasn't as good as what the Braves did. So he left. For, as you see, athletes are not like regular people and should not make these types of choices.

Now with all this being said, Carlos Correa is a free agent this winter assuming there is no lockout. Who'd take him on their team? I'd say many would. Surely some would not because he took part in the trash can sign stealing with Houston. He's not coming to the Pirates, but if you're a contender or close, I'd think you'd want him to make you better. I wouldn't understand taking a pass on him, especially if he were interested in coming to you.

But I understand.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied

That's on MLB, and in case you haven't noticed, they're one of the most reactionary groups of people breathing air. Proactive? Not so much.

They absolutely should have been hammered harder. They weren't. That beef is with MLB and rightfully, which is part of the issue of why so many people are going to be aggravated about this forever. Not enough was done about it, and for that I completely agree.
    Absolutely correct it's on the MLB, but it's also on them, as a dirty organization.

MLB failed because Manfred clearly has no balls. He should also have been removed for it.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

To piggy back:

They cheated, and it was KNOWN they cheated. There's evidence and it's been basically admitted. Yet they get to keep their trophy and in the record book.
    That's on MLB, and in case you haven't noticed, they're one of the most reactionary groups of people breathing air. Proactive? Not so much.

They absolutely should have been hammered harder. They weren't. That beef is with MLB and rightfully, which is part of the issue of why so many people are going to be aggravated about this forever. Not enough was done about it, and for that I completely agree.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Are you some sort of stealth agent working for the Astros? You've been pleading with us that we just have to "move on", and on a ND forum of all places. We're a fan base that still finds Michigan detestable bc one of their coaches was an anti-Catholic a century ago.

I don't care that they cheated but it's just bizarre that you feel compelled to rehabilitate their brand.

Fans hold grudges. Move on.

​​​​​​
    I mean, it's a message board right? Engage in sports conversations, no?

To answer, no, I'm not a stealth agent for the Houston Astros. I simply have an opinion about the situation that conflicts with yours. I'm okay. You seem really bent that I feel the way I do, and I'm likely in the minority as it relates to the Astros, which I am also comfortable with. I'm trying to understand why people are intent on being upset about this forever. You've explained it. Thank you.

Knock yourself out, man. I'm not going to be pissed about this until my dying day. Freedoms.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied

Are you some sort of stealth agent working for the Astros? You've been pleading with us that we just have to "move on", and on a ND forum of all places. We're a fan base that still finds Michigan detestable bc one of their coaches was an anti-Catholic a century ago.

I don't care that they cheated but it's just bizarre that you feel compelled to rehabilitate their brand.

​​​​​​
    To piggy back:

They cheated, and it was KNOWN they cheated. There's evidence and it's been basically admitted. Yet they get to keep their trophy and in the record book.

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied

All of those people are basically gone now. You think in ten years they'll still be around?

What would it take, logo change and relocation?

sorry, it's just weird. And I don't believe in karma.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

They're not booing him, they're booing the franchise.

It's Karma for changing their name from the Colt 45's. lol
    All of those people are basically gone now. You think in ten years they'll still be around?

What would it take, logo change and relocation?

sorry, it's just weird. And I don't believe in karma.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

I get it for AL West fans I guess, but I don't know how much longer it can go on once the last of that core is gone.

There is a 15 year old Dominican kid out there now who in ten years will be 25 and playing for the Astros. I'm supposed to boo him for something that happened when he was 12 and had no part of?

At some point, the sports world would have to move on.
    They're not booing him, they're booing the franchise.

It's Karma for changing their name from the Colt 45's. lol

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

I will at least
    I get it for AL West fans I guess, but I don't know how much longer it can go on once the last of that core is gone.

There is a 15 year old Dominican kid out there now who in ten years will be 25 and playing for the Astros. I'm supposed to boo him for something that happened when he was 12 and had no part of?

At some point, the sports world would have to move on.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    I don't mean to disrupt all of the narratives and vindication, but if Major League Baseball and the Players Association have not agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement by midnight December 2, it is very likely that the sport’s owners will lock out the players. If that happens, all of the typical offseason transactions, from free agency to the arbitration process to the Rule 5 draft, would likely be frozen until a new deal is reached. The mid-December winter meetings would likely be canceled.

Baby Jesus the Baseball God didn't deliver a World Series to Atlanta to own the libs. The Braves hit a lot of home runs. That's my analytic take. Ball go far, team go far. The Braves scored 25 runs in the Series, and 18 of them (72%) came on home runs. For their postseason run, they scored 38 of their 65 runs on homers.

The Braves won 88 games in the regular season, the least of every playoff participant in 2021. Once you're in, the sample size shrinks and you've got a shot just like the team that won 107. This was living proof before our very eyes that it's a crapshoot. Well played, Braves. You don't need to be the best team in baseball. Just be the best team in October. And November I suppose.

I will at least

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Glad the Braves won. And especially glad the Giants & Astros did not win.

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied
    Forgot about all that all star game nonsense. They played well and earned it. Everyone they picked up at the deadline paid dividends. Thrilled dusty didn't get a ring too.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Good for Atlanta and good for Georgia,… karma is all over this World Series from multiple angles,… I’ll leave it at that. Winter meetings here we come

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Hell yeah Braves. And gets to rub it in the face of the useless admin of baseball. You take the all star game and the Braves take the World Series!

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
    It's both insanely impressive and utterly infuriating that Morton on a broken leg could pitch better than every single pitcher in the White Sox rotation could in the Astros series.
    They were the most starting pitcher heavy team coming into October and every last one of them was obliterated, yet cave dwellers like John Smoltz and Alex Rodriguez don't understand why managers are giving starters the quick hook in the playoffs.

Alex Rodriguez has been insufferable on Twitter for these past few weeks. His bone on for analytics has become too much. All the roids have finally gone to his head.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    It's both insanely impressive and utterly infuriating that Morton on a broken leg could pitch better than every single pitcher in the White Sox rotation could in the Astros series.

Leave a comment:

• ab2cmiller
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    So I guess Morton last night must have been on some serious adrenaline for a minute there,… warrior either way
    The fact that the Astros couldn’t hit Morton pitching on a broken leg had to be salt in the wound.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Curt Schilling jokes wrote themselves last night, though Curt Schilling jokes have a tendency to do that regardless.

The leadoff HR by Soler was completely buried by Morton.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    So I guess Morton last night must have been on some serious adrenaline for a minute there,… warrior either way

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Spot on, and mind you, the Boston Red Sox are NOT in this World Series.

I want Dusty Baker to win one. That means Houston has to win. So be it.

Astros in 6.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Meanwhile, the Padres have interviewed Rojas and Shildt.

I'm neutral, but man that just is not inspiring at all when you're interviewing the mangers who have been fired by the Mets and Cardinals.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

Yeah Stubby Clapp who is on staff and long time minor league coach. Ollie Marmol who is bench coach and would likely have support of Spanish speaking side of team. Skip Schumacher Padres coach and former player. Those three seem like the obvious considerations.
    Marmol it is. Had ZERO idea he was only 35.

Sources saying they are gonna try to fill his seat with Schumacher and Stubby is still on staff. If they can retain Stubby and steal Skip that’s a 3 for 1 special I’ll take. But no guarantees they can get Skip to come over and I can see Shildt taking Stubby if he gets a new job

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I would love to see Dusty Baker get a World Series.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Pedo U loses in 9 overtimes,… lol just one of those everything aligns weeks,… sometimes you’re the windshield

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    HELL YES. WHAT A GREAT DAY FOR SPORTS.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    The LCS results, Browns beat Denver, ND beats SCum,… Pens playing well,… this is one of the best sports weeks I can ever remember. I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of this World Series.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Looks like AJ Pollock (Notre Dame alum!) showed why he should’ve been starting in LF the two previous games vs putting Taylor there so a middle infielder could play CF. As bad as Roberts bullpen moves have been, starting Lux in CF multiple games while a gold glove OF sits on the bench is even worse IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Chris Taylor is a free agent this winter.
    he’s where Kiké & Joc were last year. They each wanted to go to a team where they could play full time & cash in. It made sense for both of them as it does for CT3. Best of luck to him wherever he lands. I suspect Seager & Jansen will be in different uniforms next year as well.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Chris Taylor is a free agent this winter.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Roberts has done a lot of dumb stuff this playoff series. Lux is just one of them.
    I agree. His handling of the bullpen game in Game2 was questionable at best. It’s not just “plug & play” where you can bring your 20 game winning starter out of the bullpen & expect him to dominate. Snitker is out coaching Roberts and it’s not even close.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

They should have some kind of grading system for them. Then if their is any complaints and they get reviewed and said they were obviously wrong that goes against them. But again the UNION wont let that happen.
    Just call a strike a strike and a ball a ball. It’s not hard.

And if you can’t, then ok that’s on your dumbass, but who is the dumbass who selected an unqualified umpire to work the post-season?

it’s commonly understood that Laz sucks. Ok, then get him off the diamond especially in the post season.

Again, sorry to rant which I never do about umpires, but I’m hoping that this is addressed.

Performance and quality should be your post season bar. Not tenure.

Leave a comment:

• stpeteirish
    replied
    Roberts has done a lot of dumb stuff this playoff series. Lux is just one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    For the life of me, I can’t rationalize why Dave Roberts insisted on playing a middle infielder (Gavin Lux) in CF the last 2 games. Meanwhile, gold glover LF AJ Pollock sits on the bench.

This is actually a rhetorical question b/c Roberts has been cited as saying he has to get Lux in the lineup b/c of his hot bat. Really? Compared to what…Lux’s 1H of the season when he was sent down to minors to retool? Yes he came back and hit the ball well using all fields. No he was not Tony Gwynn incarnate. AJ Pollock was one of the top hitters in the league 2H of the season so is Lux (in Doc’s eyes) truly that much better a hitter that it’s justified giving up a defensive strength?

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post

OMG yes. Horrible. I was asking my friend how the hell does he get postseason games….?? He said tenure which is BS.

Did you see him ring JD on ball 4 that was 5 inches off the dish? WTF?!?! It was so far outside that the catcher didn’t even attempt a throw out the moving runner because it was BALL 4.

Has me a bit hot bc as noted he’s individually changed the whole dynamic of this series. Not sure how the guy sleeps at night…
    They should have some kind of grading system for them. Then if their is any complaints and they get reviewed and said they were obviously wrong that goes against them. But again the UNION wont let that happen.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

Diaz is a terrible umpire.
    OMG yes. Horrible. I was asking my friend how the hell does he get postseason games….?? He said tenure which is BS.

Did you see him ring JD on ball 4 that was 5 inches off the dish? WTF?!?! It was so far outside that the catcher didn’t even attempt a throw out the moving runner because it was BALL 4.

Has me a bit hot bc as noted he’s individually changed the whole dynamic of this series. Not sure how the guy sleeps at night…

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post

Funny game. Laz Diaz with one missed strike call has individually changed the whole dynamic of this series. Should have been 2s last night going into the bottom of the 9th. But Laz misses strike 3 (again) doesn’t ring up, Eovaldi exits, and now we sit chasing a game.

I’ll add, can Bobby D play right field? Because Renfroe is a rally killer right now
    Diaz is a terrible umpire.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Man yells at cloud.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    The Red Sox are hitting home runs and winning playoff games. They might be onto something.
    Funny game. Laz Diaz with one missed strike call has individually changed the whole dynamic of this series. Should have been 2s last night going into the bottom of the 9th. But Laz misses strike 3 (again) doesn’t ring up, Eovaldi exits, and now we sit chasing a game.

I’ll add, can Bobby D play right field? Because Renfroe is a rally killer right now
    Last edited by Irish2155; 10-20-2021, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    It felt like all seemed lost for the Dodgers and Astros. Then it all turned on a dime.

Playoff baseball truly makes no sense. Small sample size.

Found this rather interesting:

LCS largest mismatches by regular-season record, 1995-2021

1998 Yankees (114-48) vs. Rangers (88-74) 26 Yankees
    2001 Mariners (116-46) vs. Indians (91-71) 25 Mariners
    1998 Yankees (114-48) vs. Indians (89-73) 25 Yankees
    1995 Indians (100-44) vs. Mariners (78-66) 22 Indians
    2001 Mariners (116-64) vs. Yankees (95-65) 21 Yankees
    2021 Dodgers (106-56) vs. Braves (88-74) 18 TBD
    2005 Cardinals (100-62) vs. Padres (82-80) 18 Cardinals
    2018 Red Sox (108-54) vs. Dodgers (91-71) 17 Red Sox
    1997 Braves (101-61) vs. Astros (84-78) 17 Braves
    (tiebreaker games removed)
    This was from the Joe Sheehan Newsletter last week.

Didn't realize how up against it the Braves were, at least going into the series. The Braves bullpen was going to be a question mark and now after three games it's really going to come into play.

The 2001 Mariners were one of the greater disappointments of my baseball fandom. Alas, it was tough beating the post 9/11 Yankees in October. Arizona ended up just edging them out for a World Series.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Red Sox are hitting home runs and winning playoff games. They might be onto something.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

Yeah Stubby Clapp who is on staff and long time minor league coach. Ollie Marmol who is bench coach and would likely have support of Spanish speaking side of team. Skip Schumacher Padres coach and former player. Those three seem like the obvious considerations.
    I remember watching Clapp play AA ball for the Arkansas Travelers when they were the Cards’ AA affiliate. Can’t forget that name.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X