X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
    Cleveland changing their name to the Guardians.
    I haven't been this outraged since the Brooklyn Robins changed their name to the Dodgers in 1932.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    The Pirates absolutely raked the first two days. On paper, I absolutely love what they did.
    Agreed. Now tell their front office to not trade it all away for a middling, overpriced pitcher like they did when they acquired Archer.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I was praising Kenley Jansen for working hard in the off-season to get in better shape, increase velo and basically go back to being effective this season. Now he’s blown back-to-back saves vs their rival and seems to have regressed to his 2020 level. Roberts needs to demote him to middle relief if he can no longer get the job done. He’s back to being a gas can.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Of the Galaxy?

Leave a comment:

• Riddickulous
    replied
    Cleveland changing their name to the Guardians.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Pirates absolutely raked the first two days. On paper, I absolutely love what they did.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Yup Will Taylor fell though. The worry was both would go early and they’d be left with a bare cupboard at QB. If they lose Chandler not ideal but not their worst possible outcome

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Also note his bio. I don't think he's going to Clemson anymore.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Love that the Sox got Wes Kath in the 2nd. Goes to school with my kid at Desert Mountain and was supposed to play for my buddy at ASU.

Dude can rake with a sweet lefty stroke. Batted just under .500 & had 11 HR in 24G for the 5A State Champs.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
    After watching the draft I think baseball needs to change the whole system.

I would like the see the minor league teams not tied to any one baseball team. Essentially making the MLB draft open to high school/college/minor league players.

Who ever is not drafted after the MLB draft then the minor league teams sign/draft the rest.

That way MLB could start trading draft picks, the Ryan Howards are not stuck behind the Jim Thome's...
    The draft is already open to HS and college players. The minor league players have already been drafted. The Covid and post Covid drafts already have fewer rounds. It isn't good.

It isn't open to Cuban players, Japanese players, etc. If they were going to change the system I think it might need to start there.

Leave a comment:

• Blazers46
    replied
    After watching the draft I think baseball needs to change the whole system.

I would like the see the minor league teams not tied to any one baseball team. Essentially making the MLB draft open to high school/college/minor league players.

Who ever is not drafted after the MLB draft then the minor league teams sign/draft the rest.

That way MLB could start trading draft picks, the Ryan Howards are not stuck behind the Jim Thome's...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I am absolutely fascinated by this White Sox team. Their chairman and manager, not so much, but I think they have the talent and window to do great things in spite of them both.

If they can avoid any additional injuries and stop the all the bunting, they're going to be in the thick of things come October. If the Twins wind up selling by the July deadline, they could cruise to this Central title.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    With the win today, Tony La Russa moves to 2nd in All-Time Managerial Wins. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Sea Turtle
    replied
    Tampa, Oakland and Chicago all in first place in the AL. That's some planet alignment I can get used to.

Every few years, MLB changes the baseball and things get weird in one direction or the other.
    As a Red Sox fan, I'm afraid the Rays may be for real :(

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Tampa, Oakland and Chicago all in first place in the AL. That's some planet alignment I can get used to.

Every few years, MLB changes the baseball and things get weird in one direction or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    The 7 No-Hitters alone should up the average number of Complete Games. Recently, to lead the league in CGs, a pitcher only had to have one.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    If I am a starter and I have NOT thrown a no hitter, I might want to see a sports shrink. LOL.

Seriously, this is absolutely nuts that there are now 7 before Memorial Day.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

As a Tigers fan, I haven't had much to root for this year until last night. Glad I stayed up for it, Spencer Turnbull pitched an absolute gem. I thought he was in trouble when he walked the leadoff batter in the 9th but he cleaned it up and took care of business.

First no hitter for Detroit since Verlander's second NH in 2011 and only 8th in franchise history.
    Torkbomb is coming...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Another no hitter last night.

MLB will react and now force hitters to replace bats with rolled up wet newspapers.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Ohtani's home run last night....yowzers.

Another no hitter thrown. It's not even Memorial Day yet.
    As a Tigers fan, I haven't had much to root for this year until last night. Glad I stayed up for it, Spencer Turnbull pitched an absolute gem. I thought he was in trouble when he walked the leadoff batter in the 9th but he cleaned it up and took care of business.

First no hitter for Detroit since Verlander's second NH in 2011 and only 8th in franchise history.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied

Yeah, and the Mariners are lucky enough to be part of two of them...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

With the exception of the Blazers, Portland hasn't been much of a sports town. IIRC back in the 70's there was a push to get an MLB team and they couldn't drum up the support. Seattle ended up with one of the expansion teams.
    Yep, but it's 2021 and if they can build the stadium they'll be in the conversation. They should also consider who is going to have the disposable income to go to games regularly. The cost of living in Nashville has come up as I recall reading recently.

I still think Las Vegas is the most likely desination. They just need to be able to build the ballpark.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    The apple of the league offices eye for expansion is Nashville though. So the question would be does MLB see expansion or someone east of the Mississippi relocating (Tampa) so they go Vegas for the As or move As all the way to Nashville

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Seems like the logical choice. Knights for NHL and they already poached the Raiders from Oakland. Get them an NBA and MLS franchise and they're stocked.

If Portland can provide a waterfront stadium, they'd be a good fit. Great regional rival in the Mariners already there waiting.
    With the exception of the Blazers, Portland hasn't been much of a sports town. IIRC back in the 70's there was a push to get an MLB team and they couldn't drum up the support. Seattle ended up with one of the expansion teams.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Vegas is the odds on favorite at the moment. I've been killing it lately. lol
    Seems like the logical choice. Knights for NHL and they already poached the Raiders from Oakland. Get them an NBA and MLS franchise and they're stocked.

If Portland can provide a waterfront stadium, they'd be a good fit. Great regional rival in the Mariners already there waiting.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
    Vegas Baby!

(Please)
    Vegas is the odds on favorite at the moment. I've been killing it lately. lol

Leave a comment:

• DONTH8
    replied
    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr. tried to commit suicide at 17-years-old by swallowing 277 pills. He felt a lot of pressure to be a great baseball player while battling a rocky relationship with his father.

just saw this on twitter, had no idea
    I did a report paper on him in high school and I found this out. What originally started as a paper about being excellent and committed to a craft, quickly turned into a never give up, face your demons, and succeed paper. I think the latter was a much better paper. No one knew the story in the class, including my teacher who was a huge mariners fan, even though there was an article about it in 1992. Nuts. Imagine a world without Ken Griffey Jr. I would not want to live in that world.

Suicide is never the answer. Never.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

So you're saying... Build it and they will come?
    With tax payer money.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Ken Griffey Jr. tried to commit suicide at 17-years-old by swallowing 277 pills. He felt a lot of pressure to be a great baseball player while battling a rocky relationship with his father.

just saw this on twitter, had no idea

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

The Fremont A's sounds great

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    The Padres may be taking some days off due to COVID

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Whoever builds the stadium is going to get them.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Probably Portland or Nashville.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Which is ironic because I thought their Oakland stadium proposal was going to be them actually ponying up the money instead of the city.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Vegas Baby!

(Please)

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied

Maybe there's an argument for Jose Abreu.

I wish King Felix had a shot, but just not enough wins thanks to the terrible offenses the M's put out during his prime.

Great point. I would put Abreu on a trajectory. If he can maintain through his prime & then be productive afterwards, he’ll be a legit candidate IMO.

Agree on Felix. I was hoping he’d revive his career w/ ATL but looks like he’s done.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Who are your HOF locks among active players?

Mine: Trout, Pujols, Kershaw, Scherzer, Verlander, Molina

Who do you believe is on a HOF trajectory?

Mine: Harper, Betts, Freeman, Machado, Arenado, Cole, deGrom, Votto, Altuve, Cano*

*assuming the multiple PED infractions don’t cost him
    Maybe there's an argument for Jose Abreu.

I wish King Felix had a shot, but just not enough wins thanks to the terrible offenses the M's put out during his prime.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Who are your HOF locks among active players?

Mine: Trout, Pujols, Kershaw, Scherzer, Verlander, Molina

Who do you believe is on a HOF trajectory?

Mine: Harper, Betts, Freeman, Machado, Arenado, Cole, deGrom, Votto, Altuve, Cano*

*assuming the multiple PED infractions don’t cost him

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

Harper was first and he hit first two so the HBPs were unavoidable but imagine hitter #3 McCutchen in the box? I’d be worried if I was him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I may have misread/misheard but the overall point was that the Cards would’ve pulled the kid for wildness before he got as far as he did. Sometimes a pitcher just doesn’t have it.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post

Wasn’t the Cards pitcher unable to find the zone and obviously having trouble w/ wildness but he had to stay in per the new rule to face a minimum 3 batters? Had STL been able to pull him, Harper doesn’t get hit in the face.
    Harper was first and he hit first two so the HBPs were unavoidable but imagine hitter #3 McCutchen in the box? I’d be worried if I was him

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post
    Interesting case of baseball’s “unwritten rules” clashing with new rules. Cardinals hit on accident 2 guys yesterday including Bryce Harper. So bottom of the 9th 2 outs, Arenado is up, beamed on first pitch. Fine, fair, unwritten rules it was coming. BUT, because of that Tyler O’Neill strikes out and starts the bottom of the 10th at 2B. One of the fastest sprinters in baseball. Scores on a ground ball and wild pitch. Game over. Without hitting Arenado, he’s on 2B and there is chance Arenado can’t score on the wild pitch like O’Neill did.

Wasn’t the Cards pitcher unable to find the zone and obviously having trouble w/ wildness but he had to stay in per the new rule to face a minimum 3 batters? Had STL been able to pull him, Harper doesn’t get hit in the face.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Interesting case of baseball’s “unwritten rules” clashing with new rules. Cardinals hit on accident 2 guys yesterday including Bryce Harper. So bottom of the 9th 2 outs, Arenado is up, beamed on first pitch. Fine, fair, unwritten rules it was coming. BUT, because of that Tyler O’Neill strikes out and starts the bottom of the 10th at 2B. One of the fastest sprinters in baseball. Scores on a ground ball and wild pitch. Game over. Without hitting Arenado, he’s on 2B and there is chance Arenado can’t score on the wild pitch like O’Neill did.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Rockies GM Jeff Bridich has resigned. Trades Arenado, makes it 21 games into the season. Seems unusual. The Rockies are, however, fully vaccinated and appear to be the only MLB team to be so up to this point as far as anyone knows.

The Dodgers-Padres rivalry is very good fun.

Jacob deGrom is absolutely astounding.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Such a fun team!

Thought Rodon was damaged goods for sure. What's even better is that Zack Collins caught the damn game for him, too. He'd been written off as a first baseman or DH. Rodon so far this year has looked very good when he's taken the mound. I would probably push his next start on Monday back a day or two after last night, which I'm sure is going to be an option.

White Sox had first round draft picks from 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2019 on the field for that no hitter last night. Great stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    Of all the things I expected to see this season, this definitely wasn't on that list. Pretty much everybody had written Rodon off and the fact that he managed to hold a spot in the rotation was seen as merely a placeholder until Kopech was ready.

Dude always had the stuff, but injury after injury after injury has basically kept him from realizing his potential.

And now he's part of baseball history.

Congrats on the no-hitter Carlos Rodon!

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X