X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    Well think about it, would you give up your GM and a couple draft picks for a World Series title? Most clubs would make that trade
    Pretty much...

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    I'm speaking more to the fan/media reaction than the league's... It seems most think the punishment is too small and things like lifetime bans and such should follow those involved etc...
    Well think about it, would you give up your GM and a couple draft picks for a World Series title? Most clubs would make that trade

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I'm speaking more to the fan/media reaction than the league's... It seems most think the punishment is too small and things like lifetime bans and such should follow those involved etc...
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Then there should be like, you know,... a clear section in the rule book???

Just sayin. Not like I want to be here defending these two teams but yeah
    Or the teams could just not ignore a direct warning from the commissioner? Using electronic equipment to steal signs is against the rules, and the clubs were warned after the Sox were caught in 2017. The below is from the Commissioner's statement just the other day announcing the punishment for the Astros.

Following the issuance of the press release announcing the results of the Red Sox investigation, I issued a memorandum that same day to all Clubs reiterating the rules regarding the use of electronic equipment to steal signs, and putting all Clubs on notice that future violations would be taken extremely seriously by my office. I specifically stated in the memorandum that the General Manager and Field Manager of Clubs would be held accountable for any violations of the rules in the future. Thus, all Clubs were put on notice as of September 15, 2017 that any use of electronic equipment to steal signs would be dealt with more severely by my office. Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    The difference between a guy at second or a basecoach stealing signs and the Astros using the videos from the replay to decipher what the signs are, then warn their batters while in the box which pitches are coming is pretty massive. Plus teams were warned in 2017 not to do this, the Astros ignored that.
    Then there should be like, you know,... a clear section in the rule book???

Just sayin. Not like I want to be here defending these two teams but yeah all this indignation is a bit excessive considering every single one of our teams does some shade of grey of this.
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-15-2020, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    As much as I like seeing the Stros and Sux get hit,... I think it's kind of crazy. Sign stealing has been a thing forever. We tried to steal signs on every team I played on starting in little league. EVERY team steals signs if they can... there is no actual rule against it. Everyone is all indignant because a few teams went the extra mile with it... that's my two cents.
    The difference between a guy at second or a basecoach stealing signs and the Astros using the videos from the replay to decipher what the signs are, then warn their batters while in the box which pitches are coming is pretty massive. Plus teams were warned in 2017 not to do this, the Astros ignored that.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    As much as I like seeing the Stros and Sux get hit,... I think it's kind of crazy. Sign stealing has been a thing forever. We tried to steal signs on every team I played on starting in little league. EVERY team steals signs if they can... there is no actual rule against it. Everyone is all indignant because a few teams went the extra mile with it... that's my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Los Angeles Dodgers 2017 World Champs...just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Boston and manager Alex Cora agree to part ways. Haha I hope he gets a permanent ban.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
    Sounds like Gorman may be off the table. I hope he isn't traded because Fowler isn't that far from being done and Gorman could step right into RF. I would be okay with giving up Liberatore because it's essentially trading Jose Martinez and Arozarena. But top 50 lefty starter prospects don't grow on trees. Arenado's opt out clause makes this deal complicated and definitely deflates the value the Rockies will get in return. But if Arenado has 2 amazing seasons and bolts in free agency, then it'll end up being a win for the Cards anyway. They'll get out of a huge financial commitment for 5 additional years and probably will be legit WS contenders during his 2 huge years.

If they trade Hudson, I hope they keep Carlos Martinez. He'll need to slot into the rotation unless they pick up a back-of-the-rotation arm in the deal. Flaherty-Mikolas-Martinez-Waino-Kim. Use a closer-by-committee approach until Hicks comes back.
    I think you're confusing Carlson for Gorman. Carlson is the AAA OF who will spend some time in St Louis this upcoming year. Gorman is in A or AA and the 3B power hitter.

Apparently the front office and staff are committed to making CarMart a starter again, so you're right that they'd need to immediately replace him. Dak could probably be switched with Austin Gomber.

According to Passan, the talks aren't going anywhere right now. Maybe this happens around spring training, but as of now it looks like it won't proceed.

Leave a comment:

• Rack Em
    replied
    Yes I'm willing to part with Hudson, though we should remember that he's still a good starter even if his peripherals show that he benefited more from the defense than a normal pitcher. Then again, the groundball is his game. It's also supposed to be a better fit for Coors field.

Dak, O'Neill, perhaps Car Mart and another guy. Definitely gonna be 3 or 4 players going to Coors, but it's intermittent whether Nolan Gorman or Liberatore are actually going to Colorado. I'm selfish and hoping that Cards keep Liberatore.
    Sounds like Gorman may be off the table. I hope he isn't traded because Fowler isn't that far from being done and Gorman could step right into RF. I would be okay with giving up Liberatore because it's essentially trading Jose Martinez and Arozarena. But top 50 lefty starter prospects don't grow on trees. Arenado's opt out clause makes this deal complicated and definitely deflates the value the Rockies will get in return. But if Arenado has 2 amazing seasons and bolts in free agency, then it'll end up being a win for the Cards anyway. They'll get out of a huge financial commitment for 5 additional years and probably will be legit WS contenders during his 2 huge years.

If they trade Hudson, I hope they keep Carlos Martinez. He'll need to slot into the rotation unless they pick up a back-of-the-rotation arm in the deal. Flaherty-Mikolas-Martinez-Waino-Kim. Use a closer-by-committee approach until Hicks comes back.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    The GM and Coach have now been fired!

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Can't say I have any love or hate for the Astros but I'm glad they got hit hard for this.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    I see now that Carpenter and Hudson could possibly be involved. I'm all in favor of trading Hudson. His advanced stats last year were very, very average.
    Yes I'm willing to part with Hudson, though we should remember that he's still a good starter even if his peripherals show that he benefited more from the defense than a normal pitcher. Then again, the groundball is his game. It's also supposed to be a better fit for Coors field.

Dak, O'Neill, perhaps Car Mart and another guy. Definitely gonna be 3 or 4 players going to Coors, but it's intermittent whether Nolan Gorman or Liberatore are actually going to Colorado. I'm selfish and hoping that Cards keep Liberatore.

Leave a comment:

• Rack Em
    replied
    I think he does go as part of the trade, if the Rockies are willing to take him. It's that or Edman goes, and I doubt that happens.
    I see now that Carpenter and Hudson could possibly be involved. I'm all in favor of trading Hudson. His advanced stats last year were very, very average.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Rough 24 hours for Houston sports.

MLB couldn't have done this to a bigger group of assholes. I really admired what they've done over the years. This, the Astros being a fraud, it a serious letdown.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    I just donít know where we move Carpenter unless heís part of the trade.
    I think he does go as part of the trade, if the Rockies are willing to take him. It's that or Edman goes, and I doubt that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Rack Em
    replied
    Time for the Cardinals to trade a couple tin cans for Nolan Arenado...
    I just donít know where we move Carpenter unless heís part of the trade.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Time for the Cardinals to trade a couple tin cans for Nolan Arenado...

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    Excellent. Should've stripped world series too.
    Wonder if anything drops on boston now...

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    Excellent. Should've stripped world series too.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    WOW:

Astro's Management Suspended 1 Year

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Fuck me,.........

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Still sitting around for the Angels to get Trout and Co some pitching help like:

It's taken me 35 plus years but I'm finally realizing that deciding to be a die hard fan of select sports teams was a pour life choice.........

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    Huh???...Jacoby Ellsbury cut by the Yanks?? Am I the only one who thought that guy retired like 10 years ago?
    Probably b/c he hasnít played since 2017. Thatís a lot of money the Yanks have paid for zero ABs.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Huh???...Jacoby Ellsbury cut by the Yanks?? Am I the only one who thought that guy retired like 10 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Still sitting around for the Angels to get Trout and Co some pitching help like:

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How the hell does Jomboy not have a MLB job? <a href="https://t.co/2fdROICvty">https://t.co/2fdROICvty</a></p>&mdash; Alaina (@alaina1424) <a href="https://twitter.com/alaina1424/status/1194428054464073728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Thanks for posting this!!

"and you sound like a pompous dick now"....LMAO.

How does a hitter have that shitty of an at bat when he knows every pitch coming??

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How the hell does Jomboy not have a MLB job? <a href="https://t.co/2fdROICvty">https://t.co/2fdROICvty</a></p>&mdash; Alaina (@alaina1424) <a href="https://twitter.com/alaina1424/status/1194428054464073728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Also, if true, I hope Hinich gets ripped publicly for how much of a smug Dbag he was when the Yankees called them out on this.

I too have seen some of the videos on twitter of a guy analyzing what was going on and seems very very clear this was indeed happening.

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and itís unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

Iím guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I canít imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didnít lose to this group of cheaters.
    you got a link for the video?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    They're a bunch of scumbags. Really admired them a few years back and how they built their team. Not so much anymore. Wonder what else is in the onion the further it gets peeled back.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and itís unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

Iím guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I canít imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didnít lose to this group of cheaters.
    I'll second all of this.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    'Stros are quickly becoming my second most hated team in baseball...

If true this is too blatant and thought through to just be swept under the rug. But, as noted, that's probably what will happen. I personally think their WS should be stripped.

Leave a comment:

• gkIrish
    replied

Yeah if something like this happened in college sports that team would be stripped of their title no doubt about it. As a Yankees fan I am pretty upset. If the Yankees did this they would be crucified. I suspect the Astros will get a big fine and the MLB will sweep it under the rug.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and it’s unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

I’m guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I can’t imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didn’t lose to this group of cheaters.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Astros accused of high-tech sign-stealing scheme during 2017 championship season

Mike Fiers, who pitched with the Astros 2015 to 2017, was among four people with the Astros at the time who described to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich a system in which at least two Astros — a hitter on the team and a coach — set up a camera in the outfield that was focused on opposing catchers. Astros players would watch the other team’s signs on a video monitor near their dugout and then clank on a garbage can to signal what pitch was coming.

Front page of Yahoo and even saw it on the local news this morning. Relaying signs to a hitter while on second base is part of the game...if the runner is smart enough to figure them out. Setting up a camera system in the outfield is flat out cheating and should be punished accordingly IMO.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    To be fair, the Braves lost 13 prospects and had their GM at the time banned for life two years ago. They may want to be careful with how they word things, at the very least.
    You would think an experienced GM like him would know what words not to use.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Someone's always getting their panties in a bunch.
    To be fair, the Braves lost 13 prospects and had their GM at the time banned for life two years ago. They may want to be careful with how they word things, at the very least.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

"Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

"The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

"In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.
    Someone's always getting their panties in a bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

"Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

"The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

"In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The New York Mets have hired Carlos Beltran to be their manager.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, Ď07, Ď13 and Ď18. Iím running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hearó>

That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. Heís still the only man Iíve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.
    Bonds wasnít walked w bases loaded against the Halos tho,... but he did hit a crazy home run in that series.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied

2011 just recently.

but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

take your pick between those three imo.

This one was good but not really great.
    I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, Ď07, Ď13 and Ď18. Iím running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hearó>

That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. Heís still the only man Iíve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    1960 is the largest margin by which a winning team was out scored in the series,... pretty sure

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
    Frank Howard is probably a happy man today.

Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.
    1960 was a crazy series. Pirates beat my Yankees 4-3. The three games the Yankees won, they hammered the Pirates. The four the Pirates won were close games.
    Last edited by Irish#1; 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Best Series Iíve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too

2011 just recently.

but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

take your pick between those three imo.

This one was good but not really great.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Best Series I’ve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    What can I say, I'm "real" old school.

Unbelievable comeback. With the Colt 45's (for you ACamp) pitching I didn't think they would drop two at home. IIRC, this is the first time the visiting team has won every game in the series. Crazy.
    First time in any american sport this has happened...

What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
    Congrats man, a team you are truly invested in winning a title is the best thing ever outside of huge life moments like children being born or getting married, stuff like that.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X