Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by #1rish View Post
    Does this mean they're out of the Tanaka race? I don't see them signing both.
    Kershaw at 30M per year
    Greinke is getting 24M per year, I think.

    I cannot see them in the Tanaka race now, not with 20% or more of their pay roll locked into their two top pitchers.

    And how much do you think they will have to pay Puig when he is eligible? They are overspending at a record rate.

    Did they NOT notice that the trade that they made with the Red Sox resulted in them winning their 3rd WS in the last ten years, while facing the team that beat them with the most rookie pitching wins in MLB history?

    I hope this deal backfires in a huge way. It is nothing against Kershaw, or the Dodgers per se, but I just think that this kind of overspending is tremendously bad for baseball.


    #JustSaying
    Last edited by philipm31; 01-17-2014, 05:07 AM.

    Comment


    • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Tanaka to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees&amp;src=hash">#Yankees</a>, seven years, $155M, opt-out after fourth year.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/426001466562973696">January 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

      Booo

      Comment


      • Hey Atlanta Braves fans out there Good news for the team.

        Jason Heyward signed 2 yr deal.

        Freddie Freeman signed a 8yr deal worth 135 million. I love this sign he has been the best hitter on the team since coming up.
        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

        Comment


        • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
          Hey Atlanta Braves fans out there Good news for the team.

          Jason Heyward signed 2 yr deal.

          Freddie Freeman signed a 8yr deal worth 135 million. I love this sign he has been the best hitter on the team since coming up.
          Two solid moves there. Love Freeman, I think he'll be a very good to great player for years to come. I think the Heyward deal with a plus for Atlanta also.

          Comment


          • Curt Schilling diagnosed with cancer - ESPN
            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

            Comment


            • i'd say cancer has never met an opponent more tough than curt.

              best of luck to him and his family!
              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

              Comment


              • My mother fought it for more than 25 years, so....

                Good luck to him but there are plenty of tough people who fight cancer on a daily basis and never let anyone know about it, either.

                Comment


                • BASEBALL: Angels in the Inlandfield? Move to the Empire!

                  Not the greatest piece in the world... but it did get me thinking... if Arte would move my boys to say, Rancho Cuc/Fontana, maybe over by the speedway... I. WOULD. NUT.

                  From an hour plus drive in heavy traffic to maybe twenty minutes of easy driving... they could also go back to what they always should have been once they left Los Angeles... The California Angels.
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                  Comment


                  • All my fellow Brave fans out there. How do you see the Medlen and Beachy injuries effecting this team?

                    I didn't have much hope for Beachy he was only hitting 88-89 on his fastball this spring not good for someone that was well rested. So i wasn't expecting much from him.

                    Medlen on the other hand was probably going to be a our 2 starter since Minor isn't expected to begin the season due to off season surgery. But I figured Minor,Medlen,JT would have been a very good top 3 starters.
                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                    Comment


                    • Alex Wood, Freddy Garcia, and Ervin Santana are going to be relied upon heavily. Wood was decent in his first year in spot duty last year and Santana had a good season with the royals, but that rotation scares me. The defense should help as long as everyone stays healthy, but they are going to need the lineup to do work consistently. Freeman can't do it all, here's going to need more consistent help from a healthy Heyward, Gattis, Justin Upton and Simmons. Absolutely can't afford BJ Upton and Uggla having years like they did last year.

                      Comment


                      • I was just about to get excited for opening day then medlen and beachy go down. At least I haven't renewed my mlb.tv subscription yet.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                          Alex Wood, Freddy Garcia, and Ervin Santana are going to be relied upon heavily. Wood was decent in his first year in spot duty last year and Santana had a good season with the royals, but that rotation scares me. The defense should help as long as everyone stays healthy, but they are going to need the lineup to do work consistently. Freeman can't do it all, here's going to need more consistent help from a healthy Heyward, Gattis, Justin Upton and Simmons. Absolutely can't afford BJ Upton and Uggla having years like they did last year.
                          Wood was surprisingly good last year. If we have to count on Garcia we are going to be in trouble IMO. I think Santana will be ok since he started his sinker last year as well as he doesn't have to worry about a DH. On top of that he is pitching in a pitchers park. They should help him.

                          We need Heyward to stay healthy if not we could be in trouble. I think we will see little improvement from Uggla nad BJ. I want to see if Chris Johnson can have that kinda season in back to back years. I am not sold on Gattis either. He has McCann's power but that's about it.
                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                            All my fellow Brave fans out there. How do you see the Medlen and Beachy injuries effecting this team?

                            I didn't have much hope for Beachy he was only hitting 88-89 on his fastball this spring not good for someone that was well rested. So i wasn't expecting much from him.

                            Medlen on the other hand was probably going to be a our 2 starter since Minor isn't expected to begin the season due to off season surgery. But I figured Minor,Medlen,JT would have been a very good top 3 starters.
                            The Beachy injury doesn't hurt as we have adapted for over a year now without Beachy anyway. The Meds injury will hurt us though.

                            Once Minor comes back though I think we'll be all right. I think JT takes a huge step forward this year. Julio is going to be a monster very soon.
                            "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

                            Comment


                            • I felt for the Medlen injury... that sucks. As a baseball fan I was looking forward to watching him this season, and to watching what could still be a very good Braves team.
                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                Wood was surprisingly good last year. If we have to count on Garcia we are going to be in trouble IMO. I think Santana will be ok since he started his sinker last year as well as he doesn't have to worry about a DH. On top of that he is pitching in a pitchers park. They should help him.

                                We need Heyward to stay healthy if not we could be in trouble. I think we will see little improvement from Uggla nad BJ. I want to see if Chris Johnson can have that kinda season in back to back years. I am not sold on Gattis either. He has McCann's power but that's about it.
                                I think BJ has a chance to bounce back a bit. He really just had a down year last year so it could just be a misnomer. Uggla though is a lost cause. He hasn't been worth a damn since he came to Atlanta outside of a random 30+ game hit streak.
                                "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

                                Comment


                                • Anyway, the past two season I couldn't even make it to the end of the season with my Halos... seeing them jack the prices on everything up while stinking up the place pissed me off... but I'm over it. I grew up with the Angels only making post season runs every five or six years to begin with... just glad to have baseball back and content to just enjoy Angels baseball regardless.

                                  MLB Network is also the greatest thing ever.
                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                    The Beachy injury doesn't hurt as we have adapted for over a year now without Beachy anyway. The Meds injury will hurt us though.

                                    Once Minor comes back though I think we'll be all right. I think JT takes a huge step forward this year. Julio is going to be a monster very soon.
                                    I dunno man, Beachy was looking like a number 1 starter when he first went down a couple years ago. I hope Teheran does develop like everyone thinks he will, he has all kinds of talent. He just needs to gain some more confidence in his other pitches besides fastball. That started coming around late last year.

                                    Alex Wood had another really good start a couple days ago. Maybe he can turn into a reliable #3?

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                      I think BJ has a chance to bounce back a bit. He really just had a down year last year so it could just be a misnomer. Uggla though is a lost cause. He hasn't been worth a damn since he came to Atlanta outside of a random 30+ game hit streak.
                                      Uggla has been hot at the plate over the last week or so I think. He's one of the slowest starters in baseball, so hopefully him getting it going a bit in ST is a positive sign. I still can't believe that hitting streak he had, he was hitting like .170 before it started or something crazy.

                                      Comment


                                      • Wasn't sure if I should put this here, the video game thread, or thead of the awesome...

                                        lol

                                        I'll start here, enjoy:

                                        <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/McwZCvqWhw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                          I think BJ has a chance to bounce back a bit. He really just had a down year last year so it could just be a misnomer. Uggla though is a lost cause. He hasn't been worth a damn since he came to Atlanta outside of a random 30+ game hit streak.
                                          I saw an interview with Uggla the other day and he admitted that he sucked. He said his footing was off, he didn't have a solid base and that he was off balance. He went on to say he took some time off but watched more video then ever and is working hard to correct his problems.
                                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                          Comment


                                          • Braves have turned to Aaron Harang to shore up the rotation. *shudders*

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                              Braves have turned to Aaron Harang to shore up the rotation. *shudders*
                                              They might as well just buy a pitching machine that can groove an 84 mph fastball with no movement.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                They might as well just buy a pitching machine that can groove an 84 mph fastball with no movement.
                                                They already had that with Freddie Garcia.
                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                Comment


                                                • Just had a pretty good earthquake... It wasn't the most jolting but the thing it traveled welll... I'm watching ANGELS/dodgers the game, and the camera shakes... The announcers say, 'you know what, I think we're experincing a good tremor" then about ten seconds later my house starts shaking... I'm a good hour plus outside downtown so, yeah thing had some carry to it.
                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Can't wait for the season to kick off...basketball sucks

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by blueNDgold44 View Post
                                                      Can't wait for the season to kick off...basketball sucks
                                                      The Cubs are ten games back and the season hasn't started. You are looking forward to that?

                                                      Comment


                                                      • I'm with 44 all day, can't wait.
                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Our new slogan for this season.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Tigers are probably going to regret that contract to Miguel.
                                                            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by AdmiralBackhand View Post
                                                              The Cubs are ten games back and the season hasn't started. You are looking forward to that?
                                                              Do you believe in miracles?

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Our 2014 season slogan for the Phils. Gonna be a long year.... Citizens Bank Park is now...

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Got to catch a few games this week. The new Cubs ST stadium is pretty awesome. They have a Portillo's in AZ now down the road from it.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Sounds like Chicago w/ 10x better weather. Pretty amazing the attendance the Cubs have gotten this ST. I might be mistaken but I think they have the 6 biggest crowds in Cactus League history in the 1st year of the new stadium.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • I will live to see the Cubs win one, and ill drink to it and celebrate... @Americasteamsorrytedturner
                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • You must plan on living longer than Methusula then.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • I'm 32 cancer who has already battled cancer once... I don't believe I'll be here TOO LONG... but I think I'll see it...
                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Give em 5 years and I think they will be highly competitive.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Our team slogan this year. We need a house cleaning badly. What's worse
                                                                              is our minor league teams really don't have enforcements coming up either.
                                                                              Gonna be a long year...

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Our team slogan for the 2014 season:

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • One of my favorite days of the year.... Spring is here!

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Let's go Reds!!

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Comment


                                                                                      • Pumped for Lester to get his 4th consecutive opening day on the bump. Dude deserves it to say the very least. Could be the year he finally puts it's all together and becomes a true ace.


                                                                                        Lets the race begin! Go Sox.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Such a great day!!
                                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Go Cardinals! Can't for opening day in stl next Monday !

                                                                                            Comment




                                                                                            • Finally, opening day!

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Our slogan for the 2014 season:

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Hard way to start the season for the Cubs, completely waste a great start from your ace.
                                                                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Cards! Rosenthal is filthy!

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Vlad retired an Angel today...
                                                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X