X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    It is a slam dunk. Unless there’s going to be a new referendum on current HOFers who struggled in post-season play or just failed to be on a winning championship team. The list would fill this thread. Ted Williams is one that jumps to mind. Horrible WS performance in 1946 and he was embarrassed by it. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t the greatest pure hitter of the modern era.
    Just looking at starters:

Don Sutton, Fergie Jenkins, Juan Marichal never won a World Series. Zack Greinke and Jacob deGrom have not won one yet to date.

Clemens was roided up and on the Yankees when he got his. The Braves Trio got one in the 1995 strike shortened season and had additional bites at the apple.

I think the entire discussion is silly. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers of his era regardless of last night.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    The 97 Marlins were a high payroll team but whatever, none of those teams sustained their success and the Dodgers have been in the NCLS or better how many years running now??? It’s because they out spent everyone not named Yankees (idk it’s it’s extending home grown or few agents),... the fact they were even in the Mookie trade sweepstakes is reason enough to force a salary cap,... just two cents
    They also turned Turner, Muncy and Smith into better players by way of analytics and coaching.

For whatever it may be worth: The last three World Series winners have

1. Had a player with a $200 M+ contract
    2. Ranked in the top-four in MLB payroll

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Agreed. The fans who cry about money haven’t paid attention to the history of baseball. Does spending more money help? It sure does...if you select the correct players. The Yankees were always hated for “buying” championships but no one bothers to acknowledge that Steinbrenner threw millions at some horrible free agents & trades (Dave Collins, Ken Griffey, Omar Moreno, Tim Foli, Butch Wynegar, Eddie Whitson, Shane Rawley, etc) and had nothing to show for it from 1982-1992. This was before the skyrocketing free agency that existed after this era and today so the Yanks had very few competitions (if any) who were willing to throw money around like he was. You still have to throw the money at the right players. King George failed to do this back then.

Then you have some of the wealthiest owners (Twins, Marlins, Royals for ex) in MLB who refuse to spend the money to build a championship contender & pocket the profit-sharing revenue they receive from the big market teams like the evil Yankees, Dodgers & BoSox. The Twins owner (Carl Pohlad) was one of the wealthiest men in America according to Forbes yet he was always trying to sell his team out to the highest bidder and refused to invest in the team like he could. He passed away in 2009.

Despite Pohlad’s refusal to infuse big money into his team, the Twins won two WS (‘87,’91).

The Royals won in ‘85 & ‘14

The Marlins won in ‘97 & ‘03

The Phillies won in ‘08

The Angels won in ‘02

The ChiSox won in ‘05

None of the above teams had to spend on the level of what the Yanks, BoSox & Dodgers have done yet were able to win it all.
    The 97 Marlins were a high payroll team but whatever, none of those teams sustained their success and the Dodgers have been in the NCLS or better how many years running now??? It’s because they out spent everyone not named Yankees (idc if it’s extending home grown or few agents),... the fact they were even in the Mookie trade sweepstakes is reason enough to force a salary cap,... just two cents
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I don’t think anyone hates CK,... the trolls come out every October but that’s just internet bullshit. People hate his team and fan base tho,....
    I’m speaking to casual sports fans. Most around me don’t follow baseball closely enough to realize what they’re even talking about. I even have friends that sincerely tell me “Man Kershaw just can’t perform in the post season”. He’s no Koufax but he’s also not as bad as casual fans (and trolls as you say) like to portray. They don’t remember the innings that Torre & Mattingly put on his arm when he was all they had as far as dominant pitching back in his prime. It’s all good. Probably bothered fans more than it did Clayton.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    I'm glad Andrew Friedman wins one. Deserves credit for winning one, as other smart GMs have won with big bankrolls too and are beloved. He took chicken shit and turned it to chicken salad in Tampa. Great partnership with Farhan Zaidi in LA and guys who have worked for Friedman are landing in other spots now running their own teams, and running them well.

Obviously glad for Kershaw because his winning one, with the 24 other guys, shuts up a narrative that while ignorant has remained persistent.

I'd want Mookie Betts on my team. That's just me, though.

Rays GM Erik Neander is a good one too. $28M payroll. Incredible.

Glad we got to see a season. Now we see what the hell happens next.
    Agreed. The fans who cry about money haven’t paid attention to the history of baseball. Does spending more money help? It sure does...if you select the correct players. The Yankees were always hated for “buying” championships but no one bothers to acknowledge that Steinbrenner threw millions at some horrible free agents & trades (Dave Collins, Ken Griffey, Omar Moreno, Tim Foli, Butch Wynegar, Eddie Whitson, Shane Rawley, etc) and had nothing to show for it from 1982-1992. This was before the skyrocketing free agency that existed after this era and today so the Yanks had very few competitions (if any) who were willing to throw money around like he was. You still have to throw the money at the right players. King George failed to do this back then.

Then you have some of the wealthiest owners (Twins, Marlins, Royals for ex) in MLB who refuse to spend the money to build a championship contender & pocket the profit-sharing revenue they receive from the big market teams like the evil Yankees, Dodgers & BoSox. The Twins owner (Carl Pohlad) was one of the wealthiest men in America according to Forbes yet he was always trying to sell his team out to the highest bidder and refused to invest in the team like he could. He passed away in 2009.

Despite Pohlad’s refusal to infuse big money into his team, the Twins won two WS (‘87,’91).

The Royals won in ‘85 & ‘14

The Marlins won in ‘97 & ‘03

The Phillies won in ‘08

The Angels won in ‘02

The ChiSox won in ‘05

None of the above teams had to spend on the level of what the Yanks, BoSox & Dodgers have done yet were able to win it all.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    It's pretty much a slam dunk, but the team sports narrative for decades has been to judge individual greatness by team accomplishment. It's a giant pile of horse shit, but no one ever accused the public of being intelligent.

Best starter without a World Series is now Zack Greinke, I suppose. Jacob deGrom won'[t get one so long as he's with the Mets.
    It is a slam dunk. Unless there’s going to be a new referendum on current HOFers who struggled in post-season play or just failed to be on a winning championship team. The list would fill this thread. Ted Williams is one that jumps to mind. Horrible WS performance in 1946 and he was embarrassed by it. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t the greatest pure hitter of the modern era.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I'm glad Andrew Friedman wins one. Deserves credit for winning one, as other smart GMs have won with big bankrolls too and are beloved. He took chicken shit and turned it to chicken salad in Tampa. Great partnership with Farhan Zaidi in LA and guys who have worked for Friedman are landing in other spots now running their own teams, and running them well.

Obviously glad for Kershaw because his winning one, with the 24 other guys, shuts up a narrative that while ignorant has remained persistent.

I'd want Mookie Betts on my team. That's just me, though.

Rays GM Erik Neander is a good one too. $28M payroll. Incredible.

Glad we got to see a season. Now we see what the hell happens next.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I don’t think anyone hates CK,... the trolls come out every October but that’s just internet bullshit. People hate his team and fan base tho,....

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    As much as the haters want to argue otherwise, Kershaw is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer regardless of the WS outcome.
    It's pretty much a slam dunk, but the team sports narrative for decades has been to judge individual greatness by team accomplishment. It's a giant pile of horse shit, but no one ever accused the public of being intelligent.

Best starter without a World Series is now Zack Greinke, I suppose. Jacob deGrom won'[t get one so long as he's with the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
    Twins will win the world series next season
    Count me in as a fan of that. I grew up playing baseball w/ their pitching coach, Wes Johnson. Good dude.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Twins will win the world series next season

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    The Clayton Kershaw narrative might not have had Covid, but it died last night.
    As much as the haters want to argue otherwise, Kershaw is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer regardless of the WS outcome.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Who says money can’t buy happiness (and titles)???

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In the second inning tonight, the lab doing COVID tests informed MLB that Justin Turner’s test from yesterday came back inconclusive. The samples from today had just arrived and were run. It showed up positive. The league immediately called the Dodgers and said to pull Turner.</p>&mdash; Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1321303445136171008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    i dont think this answers it. if it was inconclusive he shouldnt have been playing

Leave a comment:

• ab2cmiller
    replied
    Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
    Can anyone tell me how they just realized in the 8th inning that Justin Turner tested positive for Covid? I thought they took the test and got results back prior to the game and, if positive, sat out.
    Last edited by ab2cmiller; 03-20-2021, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IHateMarkMay
    replied
    Can anyone tell me how they just realized in the 8th inning that Justin Turner tested positive for Covid? I thought they took the test and got results back prior to the game and, if positive, sat out.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I need to read the book. One of my favorite non-fiction books is “The Big Short” and as great as that movie is (better than “Moneyball” IMO), the book blows it away.

The daughter angle makes sense. I just remember him bitching to Oakland’s owner about money and wanting to win it all. Then when he gets the offer to do just that for another organization, he turns it down...left me headscractching. Money wise he still made out like a bandit. Doesn’t he now have part ownership in the A’s and a couple of soccer teams?
    I have read the Big Short and The Blind Side as well, but you have to read Moneyball if you haven't already.

I think initially, he was pissed that they could never keep their talent. That's when he realized he needed to figure out a way to do more with less. He wanted to win with Oakland, and Boston is way more high profile than Oakland, especially at the time when they still hadn't won anything since 1918.

The guy is doing fine, ultimately. Paul DePodesta (who was portrayed by Jonah Hill as Peter Brand) got a GM gig with the Dodgers, worked for Sandy Alderson wih the Mets and his now with the Cleveland Browns. They all did fine.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Read the book, if you haven't. Movie is great, don't get me wrong, but the book is leaps and bounds superior.

His ex wife and early teenaged daughter lived in L.A. at the time. That puts him on the other side of the country if he goes to Boston, and if you saw the movie, you saw his daughter visiting him in Oakland often during the summer. That angle wasn't as played up in the book, but that was very real.

There was some interest from and with the Dodgers, but it never materialized, obviously. I think above all else he wanted to win in Oakland using their model. 20 years later, everyone is doing the same damn things and some are doing it better with more money. Book may have been the worst thing they could have done, but it was likely inevitable regardless of the book.

He says he has no regrets. Most don't believe him. I do, based on all I have ever read about him.
    I need to read the book. One of my favorite non-fiction books is “The Big Short” and as great as that movie is (better than “Moneyball” IMO), the book blows it away.

The daughter angle makes sense. I just remember him bitching to Oakland’s owner about money and wanting to win it all. Then when he gets the offer to do just that for another organization, he turns it down...left me headscractching. Money wise he still made out like a bandit. Doesn’t he now have part ownership in the A’s and a couple of soccer teams?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Since Netflix just added it, I decided to re-watch “Moneyball”. I never understood by Beane turned down Boston. He was pretty clear that he had one goal....win it all. He finally gets a Blue Blood to offer him that opportunity plus the fact that BoSox bought in to Sabermetrics when they hired Bill James...so why turn it down?
    Read the book, if you haven't. Movie is great, don't get me wrong, but the book is leaps and bounds superior.

His ex wife and early teenaged daughter lived in L.A. at the time. That puts him on the other side of the country if he goes to Boston, and if you saw the movie, you saw his daughter visiting him in Oakland often during the summer. That angle wasn't as played up in the book, but that was very real.

There was some interest from and with the Dodgers, but it never materialized, obviously. I think above all else he wanted to win in Oakland using their model. 20 years later, everyone is doing the same damn things and some are doing it better with more money. Book may have been the worst thing they could have done, but it was likely inevitable regardless of the book.

He says he has no regrets. Most don't believe him. I do, based on all I have ever read about him.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Rays are nothing if not resilient, but the Dodgers should win the Andrew Friedman Bowl.
    Since Netflix just added it, I decided to re-watch “Moneyball”. I never understood by Beane turned down Boston. He was pretty clear that he had one goal....win it all. He finally gets a Blue Blood to offer him that opportunity plus the fact that BoSox bought in to Sabermetrics when they hired Bill James...so why turn it down?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    My two favorite sports teams are ND & the Dodgers. Ironically, the last time either won a championship was 1988 when I was a senior in HS. Obviously, I want the Dodgers to win but it won’t be easy.

I suspect the Rays rebound tonight for a win and the series goes 6-7 games. Hoping for the best. Kershaw had a great outing last night but no one remembers Game 1 pitching performances (see Game 1 of 2017 WS).
    Rays are nothing if not resilient, but the Dodgers should win the Andrew Friedman Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Best possible outcome of the four teams remaining. Friedman's Dodgers vs the Rays. Awesome stuff and a good story line there.

Hoping the Rays win it, but wouldn't be bent out of shape to see Friedman win one. I think he belongs up there with the top execs. Doesn't get a lot of credit compared to some of the other guys out there, particularly those who have more financial resources at their disposal.

Hopefully a competitive series like the LCS both were. Two Game 7s doesn't get any better.
    My two favorite sports teams are ND & the Dodgers. Ironically, the last time either won a championship was 1988 when I was a senior in HS. Obviously, I want the Dodgers to win but it won’t be easy.

I suspect the Rays rebound tonight for a win and the series goes 6-7 games. Hoping for the best. Kershaw had a great outing last night but no one remembers Game 1 pitching performances (see Game 1 of 2017 WS).

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Imagine having this Mookie Betts guy and trading him.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Best possible outcome of the four teams remaining. Friedman's Dodgers vs the Rays. Awesome stuff and a good story line there.

Hoping the Rays win it, but wouldn't be bent out of shape to see Friedman win one. I think he belongs up there with the top execs. Doesn't get a lot of credit compared to some of the other guys out there, particularly those who have more financial resources at their disposal.

Hopefully a competitive series like the LCS both were. Two Game 7s doesn't get any better.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Plenty of blame to go around. There always is. It is a familiar story all the way around.

One thing I have discovered during this shortened season and expanded postseason is that there are quite a few pitchers I have never heard of that all seem to throw high 90s to 100 MPH with filthy disgusting breaking stuff. That being said, if you can get a walk, just take the fucker and be happy because the idea of "just making contact" is our grandpa and dad's baseball. Off speed pitches are in the low 90s now. YOU go make contact with that filth.

The manager has control of the pitching staff. This is the second time now in the post season that Roberts has failed to lift Kershaw at a critical time when even my nine year old daughter knew he had to take him out. He let Ozuna have a third look at Kershaw and the game was hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That's systemic failure on his part and it isn't the first time.

The Dodgers are not done, but they're hanging onto the side of the building.
    I agree. Roberts may be too much of a “player’s coach” to get them over the hump. It was inexcusable last season when Roberts brought Kershaw in for a perfect inning of relief & then mistakenly trotted him back out there to give up back-to-back bombs that lost the game. He would’ve looked like a maestro had he just kept Kershaw in the dugout & thanked him for doing his “job” on short notice.

Last night was not as bad when you consider Graterol got lit up worse than Kershaw but I still agree w/ your point. Still, my biggest complaint is two recent MVPs & a slew of accomplished hitters couldn’t swat a fly last night or in Games 1-2.

Lastly, not that they’ll need him to save any wins today or tomorrow but Kenley Jansen should never be a closer again. His cutter doesn’t cut half the time & he has zero velocity. Graterol is the future closer.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I felt like that last year after the Nats eliminated them but now I’m not so sure. He can’t go to bat for those stiffs who all the sudden couldn’t hit sand if they fell off a camel. Their only way on base is a walk. If not, they’re striking out or popping out. Pitiful.
    Plenty of blame to go around. There always is. It is a familiar story all the way around.

One thing I have discovered during this shortened season and expanded postseason is that there are quite a few pitchers I have never heard of that all seem to throw high 90s to 100 MPH with filthy disgusting breaking stuff. That being said, if you can get a walk, just take the fucker and be happy because the idea of "just making contact" is our grandpa and dad's baseball. Off speed pitches are in the low 90s now. YOU go make contact with that filth.

The manager has control of the pitching staff. This is the second time now in the post season that Roberts has failed to lift Kershaw at a critical time when even my nine year old daughter knew he had to take him out. He let Ozuna have a third look at Kershaw and the game was hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That's systemic failure on his part and it isn't the first time.

The Dodgers are not done, but they're hanging onto the side of the building.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Dave Roberts is like a kid who put BOTH hands on the burning stove once only to not learn his lesson and do it again.

I am thinking he's going to be on the market once the Dodger season is over.

And Chicago should hire him instead of Tony LaRussa, yes.
    I felt like that last year after the Nats eliminated them but now I’m not so sure. He can’t go to bat for those stiffs who all the sudden couldn’t hit sand if they fell off a camel. Their only way on base is a walk. If not, they’re striking out or popping out. Pitiful.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    When I tuned in, it was 11-0 in top of first inning. Unreal. I suspect it was LA’s last gasp before they implode today & tomorrow. Hope I’m wrong.
    I was not wrong. It’s over.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Dave Roberts is like a kid who put BOTH hands on the burning stove once only to not learn his lesson and do it again.

I am thinking he's going to be on the market once the Dodger season is over.

And Chicago should hire him instead of Tony LaRussa, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Hard to believe it’s taking Washington this long to get another crack,...
    I agree, and he wants one, too.

He's 68 years old but he's with it as far as what front offices want, which is to believe in math.

He admitted the extramarital affair he was having in 2014 and he's battled substance abuse as well, but was a finalist for the Braves job when it last opened. They were smart and hired him to coach third to replace Bo Porter when he moved to the front office.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Hard to believe it’s taking Washington this long to get another crack,...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Braves assistant GM is probably going to be a good candidate for the Angels or Phillies job. Perry Minasian is his name, I believe.

Ron Washington and Matt Quartaro are two guys the White Sox should have a look at, though they appear interested in dragging Tony LaRussa's old, drinky bones out for an interview for whatever reason.

Ron Washington managing that White Sox team would make them even more of a compelling team to track in the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    When I tuned in, it was 11-0 in top of first inning. Unreal. I suspect it was LA’s last gasp before they implode today & tomorrow. Hope I’m wrong.
    I actually get the opposite vibe, hope I’m wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Kershaw is going next, and after digging into ATL's bullpen like they just did, that's a good scenario for the Dodgers.

Would have liked to have seen the Astros swept, though I have never appreciatede Dusty Baker more until now.

Still, the Rays last five years worth of payrolls are about as much as what the Yankees gave Gerit Cole. Sign me up for them to win this thing.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    So they both finally lost. The Braves in rather spectacular fashion.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Braves and Rays are playing like they won't lose again. So when they face off it should be fun.
    So they both finally lost. The Braves in rather spectacular fashion.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Braves and Rays are playing like they won't lose again. So when they face off it should be fun.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Loving this game right now,...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The first two games of the ALCS have been utterly crazy. I have no idea what the ratings look like, and frankly I could be the only person on Earth watching and I wouldn't care.

Look at the numbers and then ask yourself how the Rays have scored more runs and are up 2-0. Simple answer is ball go far, team go far.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    The amount of home runs in the Astros series,... Good. Lord. It’s only game four and they already broke the all time record.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    People need to stop trading with the Tampa Rays.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Lol cubs

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Marlins just broke the streak,... starting with the first round of the the Stanley Cup playoffs (not the play in the actual first round) every single team I rooted for in either first round lost. Every. Single. One. I was starting to get pretty down on myself,.......

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Love the game right now. The talent is staggering. So many games, so many pitchers I have never heard of throwing 100 MPH. Happy to have baseball in October and looking forward to what comes next.

As a Pirates fan, I have to live vicariously through everyone and everything else. At least the Twins have gotten a few bites at the apple compared to the Bucs.

Fernando Tatis Jr., Luis Robert....wow.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Just had a mic’d up player backfire in the Oakland/Sox game,... not sure if it was the mic’d player or what but a clear, ‘stop fucking around!!’ Live in air. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I'm done. I dont see a point in watching another game until they win a playoff game. At this point its just bizarre. Even a terrible baseball team wins like 40% of the time, unless you are the Minnesota Twins and you are in the playoffs.
    Perspective: the Twins have a more recent WS championship than the following teams:

Los Angeles Dodgers
    San Diego Padres
    Oakland A’s
    Seattle Mariners
    New York Mets
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Texas Rangers
    Detroit Tigers
    Baltimore Orioles
    Tampa Bay Rays
    Colorado Rockies
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Cincinnati Reds
    Cleveland Indians

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied
    I'm done. I dont see a point in watching another game until they win a playoff game. At this point its just bizarre. Even a terrible baseball team wins like 40% of the time, unless you are the Minnesota Twins and you are in the playoffs.
    From the Athletic:
    The Twins have now lost 18 postseason games in a row. Yeah, 18. You know how hard it is to do that, for a team good enough to make the playoffs? Let’s put it this way. In the past 100 years, only nine teams have lost 18 or more in a row in the regular season. And every one of those teams was brutal. They averaged 103 losses. So you can understand how teams like that lose 18 in a row.
    They had the best record in baseball in September and the best home record. They still got swept.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    Baseball is stupid, I give up. 18 straight playoff losses? Come on.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied
    Baseball is stupid, I give up. 18 straight playoff losses? Come on.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X