Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irishize
    replied
    Awesome clip of Honus Wagner from 1933 when he was 59 years old.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1933: Honus Wagner talking about his career, taking some swings &amp; fielding ground balls. This is amazing! <a href="https://twitter.com/Pirates?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Pirates</a> <a href="https://t.co/sa1Hkwz0CS">pic.twitter.com/sa1Hkwz0CS</a></p>&mdash; Stirrups Now! (@uniformcritic) <a href="https://twitter.com/uniformcritic/status/1327782724594184202?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    How long you been a Pirate fan Rogue?

I visited Pitt for the first time a little less than a year ago. Really loved the city...especially the stadiums...beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    May be the douchiest person of the month and thatís saying something. He needs to go away. Go dig up Al Lopez to coach them. At least he took them to a WS.
    I don't disagree. There were plenty of other candidates out there they could have hired.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    He's in the Hall of Fame, though, so it's okay.

The club tweeted a Thank You to veterans for Veteran's Day but have yet to make a statement about the DUI.

Quite an interesting show they're running in Chicago.
    May be the douchiest person of the month and thatís saying something. He needs to go away. Go dig up Al Lopez to coach them. At least he took them to a WS.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Marlins hire Kim Ng as their General Manager.

Beyond qualified, well deserved at long last and historic. Another good hire.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Perry Minasian is the Angels’ new general manager, sources tell The Athletic.
    Ken Rosenthal.

I really like this hire.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Saw a meme w/ LaRussaís ChiSox jersey w/ the # .8 as in alcohol level
    He's in the Hall of Fame, though, so it's okay.

The club tweeted a Thank You to veterans for Veteran's Day but have yet to make a statement about the DUI.

Quite an interesting show they're running in Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Saw a meme w/ LaRussa’s ChiSox jersey w/ the # .8 as in alcohol level

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The Braves assistant GM is probably going to be a good candidate for the Angels or Phillies job. Perry Minasian is his name, I believe..
    Keep your eyes peeled in the coming days.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Pirates General Manager Ben Cherington announced John Baker as our Director of Coaching and Player Development.

The former catcher spent 7 seasons in the big leagues and most recently was the MLB Head Mental Skills Coach with the Cubs.
    Excellent. The club just got better today.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Is Chris Fetters related to former MLB (Brewers) pitcher Mike Fetters?
    Forgive me, his name is Chris Fetter. No S at the end.

So I am guessing no.

Here is his bio: https://mgoblue.com/sports/baseball/...is-fetter/5354

White Sox were said to be targeting him, among other teams. He goes back a bit with Hinch.

Tigers are making it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Boston was never considering anyone else. And the news dump might be one of the most epic in history.

The White Sox hire went from embarrassing to worse.

Meanwhile, the Tigers hired AJ Hinch and have immediately gone to hiring a field staff which includes Michigan pitching coach Chris Fetters.

Let your front office people do their jobs. Simple concept.
    Is Chris Fetters related to former MLB (Brewers) pitcher Mike Fetters?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Boston was never considering anyone else. And the news dump might be one of the most epic in history.

The White Sox hire went from embarrassing to worse.

Meanwhile, the Tigers hired AJ Hinch and have immediately gone to hiring a field staff which includes Michigan pitching coach Chris Fetters.

Let your front office people do their jobs. Simple concept.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    So, the Sox fire Cora just to rehire him back...?? Certainly not upset but surprised.

He's a World Series winning coach already who would probably have his pick of job openings. He must really like Boston a lot to come back given that shit show of a pitching staff...
    Yes, that was brilliantly timed by Boston. Friday news dump at a time when a contentious POTUS election even trumps (no pun intended) a pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    So, the Sox fire Cora just to rehire him back...?? Certainly not upset but surprised.

He's a World Series winning coach already who would probably have his pick of job openings. He must really like Boston a lot to come back given that shit show of a pitching staff...

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    No shocker here, but the Tigers are likely to name AJ Hinch as manager before the end of the day.

Heard the Angels are looking at Jared Porter from the D Backs to interview for GM. This would be a very wise move to have a convo with him. Future GM, just depends on for whom.

Maybe Angels wait for Rick Hahn to quit the White Sox?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    In the spirit of Halloween and the Chicago White Sox, I am going to attempt to raise Earl Weaver from the dead.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    There is no battle. War was over a long time ago.

Punch and Judy ball versus today's pitching? Comedy Central.
    Jeff Frye disagrees. #SheGone

LOL

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    All the moneys,...

Also, Duck the Fodgers.

Lol. Iím very bitter right now. Living amongst suffering Doyer fans was one of the few things keeping my ND, Browns, Angels fan ass from jumping off a building,... stupid ass Braves
    Iíd be bitter too. Iíve never lived in Cali but outside that state, I canít imagine the Dodgers being more universally hated than Notre Dame football. I live in SEC country where most follow the Braves, Cubs or Cardinals. Guarantee you they hate ND more than they hate the Dodgers.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    They bought it however,... that’s the truth.

Lol

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    All the moneys,...

Also, Duck the Fodgers.

Lol. Iím very bitter right now. Living amongst suffering Doyer fans was one of the few things keeping my ND, Browns, Angels fan ass from jumping off a building,... stupid ass Braves
    I figured as much.

During their 8 year run, five different teams have won the AL East at least once. Winning this World Series flips the narrative on a lot of people. We'll see if they're here to stay a bit longer. San Diego may have something to say about it soon.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    You hadn't mentioned this before. Tell me more.
    All the moneys,...

Also, Duck the Fodgers.

Lol. I’m very bitter right now. Living amongst suffering Doyer fans was one of the few things keeping my ND, Browns, Angels fan ass from jumping off a building,... stupid ass Braves
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-29-2020, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Theyíre spending like drunken sailors,... thatís what theyíre doing right ... lol
    You hadn't mentioned this before. Tell me more.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Cardinals declined Kolten Wong's option for next year. Bad move

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    This Dodger team has won how many divisions in a row? Is this era? Money or not, they're doing something right. Most recently I'd say it's hiring the two guys running their front office.
    Theyíre spending like drunken sailors,... thatís what theyíre doing right ... lol

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I could use some dinosaurs honestly if the battle is between the old school and this math nerd, launch angle, strike out fest, Monster they are calling baseball currently,... I canít wait until someone gets bold enough to go full on Whitey Ball and wins a pennant,... Ďbut, but, but,... the algorithms say,....í
    There is no battle. War was over a long time ago.

Punch and Judy ball versus today's pitching? Comedy Central.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    This Dodger team has won how many divisions in a row? Is this era? Money or not, they're doing something right. Most recently I'd say it's hiring the two guys running their front office.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    The 97 Marlins were a high payroll team but whatever, none of those teams sustained their success and the Dodgers have been in the NCLS or better how many years running now??? Itís because they out spent everyone not named Yankees (idc if itís extending home grown or few agents),... the fact they were even in the Mookie trade sweepstakes is reason enough to force a salary cap,... just two cents
    Money definitely helps and puts a team at an advantage but itís not guarantee I was just pointing out that some franchises w/ owners just as wealthy or wealthier than winning franchises just refuse to spend.

Of course now itís more ownership groups vs some old rich white guy. Thereís no rules against other teams spending more money. Some canít and some wonít. Thereís already profit sharing and none of the owners are held accountable as to what they do w/ their cut.

Iíd be open to a salary cap debate but to say itís a panacea is a bridge too far for me. I just look at the NBA & NFL and see more repeat winners there than MLB. Plus, the MLBPA is the strongest union in the world; theyíd never agree to a cap and would play the ďevil, white, billionaire racist ownersĒ card.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Just looking at starters:

Don Sutton, Fergie Jenkins, Juan Marichal never won a World Series. Zack Greinke and Jacob deGrom have not won one yet to date.

Clemens was roided up and on the Yankees when he got his. The Braves Trio got one in the 1995 strike shortened season and had additional bites at the apple.

I think the entire discussion is silly. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers of his era regardless of last night.
    Sutton was on the Dodgers Ď88 roster but not on their postseason roster. I suspect they gave him a ring but youíre right he wasnít truly on a WS winner. His timing was horrible. Rookie season was Koufaxís last season when they got beat by Bímore in the WS. Lost to the Aís three-year buzz saw of domination in 1974 and then fell to the Yankees in back-to-back WS in Ď77-Ď78.

Dodgers finally win in Ď81 but he was in his first season w/ the Astros. Then makes it back again in 1982 w/ the Brewers who fell to the Cardinals (that was a great WS). Maybe it was karma for being a douchebag to teammates. He was a helluva pitcher though.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    They also turned Turner, Muncy and Smith into better players by way of analytics and coaching.

For whatever it may be worth: The last three World Series winners have

1. Had a player with a $200 M+ contract
    2. Ranked in the top-four in MLB payroll
    I think you meant Chris Taylor but your point is well taken. All three changed their mechanics when they arrived in LA and it changed their careers for the better. Throw in Kikť Hernandez to that bunch as he wasnít exactly in high demand when he landed in LA either.

Turner was a journeyman w/ the Orioles/Reds/Mets
    Taylor was a no hit/good glove utility-man w/ the Mariners
    Muncy had been released by the Aís
    Kikť came up through Astros system and then bounced to the Marlins before being a contributor in LA.
    Jansen was a catcher who they transitioned to closer b/c of his arm (or what used to be his arm)

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Winning this World Series cleans some demons out of the haunted attic and while the more vocal critics fo Kershaw are aging and phasing out, they were still present. The HOF was never in question, but I'm sure had he not won a WS there would be that lack of validation on his resume simply because. Too many of these goofs still have audiences far and wide.

Baseball has not quite eradicated all of it's dinosaurs, but each year they seem to get closer and closer to the vaccine so many have longed for.

And with that, the White Sox will hire Tony LaRussa and America can't have nice things.
    I read/heard LaRussa is part of an ownership group looking for a franchise in Charlotte or Nashville. Gotta think thatís more appealing than managing again.

Leave a comment:

• stpeteirish
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
    Twins will win the world series next season
    you misspelled Braves

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I could use some dinosaurs honestly if the battle is between the old school and this math nerd, launch angle, strike out fest, Monster they are calling baseball currently,... I can’t wait until someone gets bold enough to go full on Whitey Ball and wins a pennant,... ‘but, but, but,... the algorithms say,....’

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I donít think anyone worth anything to the discussion thought CK was anything but a 1st bal HoFer coming into this year. Again the hot takes bullshiters and internet trolls will always find something,... but theyíre not important imo
    Winning this World Series cleans some demons out of the haunted attic and while the more vocal critics fo Kershaw are aging and phasing out, they were still present. The HOF was never in question, but I'm sure had he not won a WS there would be that lack of validation on his resume simply because. Too many of these goofs still have audiences far and wide.

Baseball has not quite eradicated all of it's dinosaurs, but each year they seem to get closer and closer to the vaccine so many have longed for.

And with that, the White Sox will hire Tony LaRussa and America can't have nice things.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied
    Yeah, I'm a Twins homer but no way that's happening. They should just try to win a playoff game first.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I don’t think anyone worth anything to the discussion thought CK was anything but a 1st bal HoFer coming into this year. Again the hot takes bullshiters and internet trolls will always find something,... but they’re not important imo

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Iím speaking to casual sports fans. Most around me donít follow baseball closely enough to realize what theyíre even talking about. I even have friends that sincerely tell me ďMan Kershaw just canít perform in the post seasonĒ. Heís no Koufax but heís also not as bad as casual fans (and trolls as you say) like to portray. They donít remember the innings that Torre & Mattingly put on his arm when he was all they had as far as dominant pitching back in his prime. Itís all good. Probably bothered fans more than it did Clayton.
    You have a lot of people that only watch in October or watch much more closely, so they see the small sample size of playoffs games as the end all be all of a player. You might see a starting pitcher twice in a series and if he's brutal in those appearances, the average goof that paid zero attention from April through September is inclined to think the guy is "overpaid" or he "choked". These water cooler conversations have been going on for decades and even with analytics now dominating the sport, they're never going to stop.

The World Series is a minimum of four games, max of seven. Taking that impression and forming any kind of absolute opinion about a player is pure nonsense.

The war is over and the bozos lost.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    It is a slam dunk. Unless thereís going to be a new referendum on current HOFers who struggled in post-season play or just failed to be on a winning championship team. The list would fill this thread. Ted Williams is one that jumps to mind. Horrible WS performance in 1946 and he was embarrassed by it. Doesnít mean he wasnít the greatest pure hitter of the modern era.
    Just looking at starters:

Don Sutton, Fergie Jenkins, Juan Marichal never won a World Series. Zack Greinke and Jacob deGrom have not won one yet to date.

Clemens was roided up and on the Yankees when he got his. The Braves Trio got one in the 1995 strike shortened season and had additional bites at the apple.

I think the entire discussion is silly. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers of his era regardless of last night.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The 97 Marlins were a high payroll team but whatever, none of those teams sustained their success and the Dodgers have been in the NCLS or better how many years running now??? Itís because they out spent everyone not named Yankees (idk itís itís extending home grown or few agents),... the fact they were even in the Mookie trade sweepstakes is reason enough to force a salary cap,... just two cents
    They also turned Turner, Muncy and Smith into better players by way of analytics and coaching.

For whatever it may be worth: The last three World Series winners have

1. Had a player with a $200 M+ contract
    2. Ranked in the top-four in MLB payroll

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Agreed. The fans who cry about money haven’t paid attention to the history of baseball. Does spending more money help? It sure does...if you select the correct players. The Yankees were always hated for “buying” championships but no one bothers to acknowledge that Steinbrenner threw millions at some horrible free agents & trades (Dave Collins, Ken Griffey, Omar Moreno, Tim Foli, Butch Wynegar, Eddie Whitson, Shane Rawley, etc) and had nothing to show for it from 1982-1992. This was before the skyrocketing free agency that existed after this era and today so the Yanks had very few competitions (if any) who were willing to throw money around like he was. You still have to throw the money at the right players. King George failed to do this back then.

Then you have some of the wealthiest owners (Twins, Marlins, Royals for ex) in MLB who refuse to spend the money to build a championship contender & pocket the profit-sharing revenue they receive from the big market teams like the evil Yankees, Dodgers & BoSox. The Twins owner (Carl Pohlad) was one of the wealthiest men in America according to Forbes yet he was always trying to sell his team out to the highest bidder and refused to invest in the team like he could. He passed away in 2009.

Despite Pohlad’s refusal to infuse big money into his team, the Twins won two WS (‘87,’91).

The Royals won in ‘85 & ‘14

The Marlins won in ‘97 & ‘03

The Phillies won in ‘08

The Angels won in ‘02

The ChiSox won in ‘05

None of the above teams had to spend on the level of what the Yanks, BoSox & Dodgers have done yet were able to win it all.
    The 97 Marlins were a high payroll team but whatever, none of those teams sustained their success and the Dodgers have been in the NCLS or better how many years running now??? It’s because they out spent everyone not named Yankees (idc if it’s extending home grown or few agents),... the fact they were even in the Mookie trade sweepstakes is reason enough to force a salary cap,... just two cents
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I donít think anyone hates CK,... the trolls come out every October but thatís just internet bullshit. People hate his team and fan base tho,....
    Iím speaking to casual sports fans. Most around me donít follow baseball closely enough to realize what theyíre even talking about. I even have friends that sincerely tell me ďMan Kershaw just canít perform in the post seasonĒ. Heís no Koufax but heís also not as bad as casual fans (and trolls as you say) like to portray. They donít remember the innings that Torre & Mattingly put on his arm when he was all they had as far as dominant pitching back in his prime. Itís all good. Probably bothered fans more than it did Clayton.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I'm glad Andrew Friedman wins one. Deserves credit for winning one, as other smart GMs have won with big bankrolls too and are beloved. He took chicken shit and turned it to chicken salad in Tampa. Great partnership with Farhan Zaidi in LA and guys who have worked for Friedman are landing in other spots now running their own teams, and running them well.

Obviously glad for Kershaw because his winning one, with the 24 other guys, shuts up a narrative that while ignorant has remained persistent.

I'd want Mookie Betts on my team. That's just me, though.

Rays GM Erik Neander is a good one too. $28M payroll. Incredible.

Glad we got to see a season. Now we see what the hell happens next.
    Agreed. The fans who cry about money havenít paid attention to the history of baseball. Does spending more money help? It sure does...if you select the correct players. The Yankees were always hated for ďbuyingĒ championships but no one bothers to acknowledge that Steinbrenner threw millions at some horrible free agents & trades (Dave Collins, Ken Griffey, Omar Moreno, Tim Foli, Butch Wynegar, Eddie Whitson, Shane Rawley, etc) and had nothing to show for it from 1982-1992. This was before the skyrocketing free agency that existed after this era and today so the Yanks had very few competitions (if any) who were willing to throw money around like he was. You still have to throw the money at the right players. King George failed to do this back then.

Then you have some of the wealthiest owners (Twins, Marlins, Royals for ex) in MLB who refuse to spend the money to build a championship contender & pocket the profit-sharing revenue they receive from the big market teams like the evil Yankees, Dodgers & BoSox. The Twins owner (Carl Pohlad) was one of the wealthiest men in America according to Forbes yet he was always trying to sell his team out to the highest bidder and refused to invest in the team like he could. He passed away in 2009.

Despite Pohladís refusal to infuse big money into his team, the Twins won two WS (Ď87,í91).

The Royals won in Ď85 & Ď14

The Marlins won in Ď97 & Ď03

The Phillies won in Ď08

The Angels won in Ď02

The ChiSox won in Ď05

None of the above teams had to spend on the level of what the Yanks, BoSox & Dodgers have done yet were able to win it all.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    It's pretty much a slam dunk, but the team sports narrative for decades has been to judge individual greatness by team accomplishment. It's a giant pile of horse shit, but no one ever accused the public of being intelligent.

Best starter without a World Series is now Zack Greinke, I suppose. Jacob deGrom won'[t get one so long as he's with the Mets.
    It is a slam dunk. Unless thereís going to be a new referendum on current HOFers who struggled in post-season play or just failed to be on a winning championship team. The list would fill this thread. Ted Williams is one that jumps to mind. Horrible WS performance in 1946 and he was embarrassed by it. Doesnít mean he wasnít the greatest pure hitter of the modern era.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I'm glad Andrew Friedman wins one. Deserves credit for winning one, as other smart GMs have won with big bankrolls too and are beloved. He took chicken shit and turned it to chicken salad in Tampa. Great partnership with Farhan Zaidi in LA and guys who have worked for Friedman are landing in other spots now running their own teams, and running them well.

Obviously glad for Kershaw because his winning one, with the 24 other guys, shuts up a narrative that while ignorant has remained persistent.

I'd want Mookie Betts on my team. That's just me, though.

Rays GM Erik Neander is a good one too. $28M payroll. Incredible.

Glad we got to see a season. Now we see what the hell happens next.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I don’t think anyone hates CK,... the trolls come out every October but that’s just internet bullshit. People hate his team and fan base tho,....

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    As much as the haters want to argue otherwise, Kershaw is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer regardless of the WS outcome.
    It's pretty much a slam dunk, but the team sports narrative for decades has been to judge individual greatness by team accomplishment. It's a giant pile of horse shit, but no one ever accused the public of being intelligent.

Best starter without a World Series is now Zack Greinke, I suppose. Jacob deGrom won'[t get one so long as he's with the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Count me in as a fan of that. I grew up playing baseball w/ their pitching coach, Wes Johnson. Good dude.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    The Clayton Kershaw narrative might not have had Covid, but it died last night.
    As much as the haters want to argue otherwise, Kershaw is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer regardless of the WS outcome.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    The Clayton Kershaw narrative might not have had Covid, but it died last night.
    Who says money canít buy happiness (and titles)???

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X