The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
    It's both insanely impressive and utterly infuriating that Morton on a broken leg could pitch better than every single pitcher in the White Sox rotation could in the Astros series.
    They were the most starting pitcher heavy team coming into October and every last one of them was obliterated, yet cave dwellers like John Smoltz and Alex Rodriguez don't understand why managers are giving starters the quick hook in the playoffs.

Alex Rodriguez has been insufferable on Twitter for these past few weeks. His bone on for analytics has become too much. All the roids have finally gone to his head.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Hell yeah Braves. And gets to rub it in the face of the useless admin of baseball. You take the all star game and the Braves take the World Series!
      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Good for Atlanta and good for Georgia,… karma is all over this World Series from multiple angles,… I’ll leave it at that. Winter meetings here we come
        There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

• Forgot about all that all star game nonsense. They played well and earned it. Everyone they picked up at the deadline paid dividends. Thrilled dusty didn't get a ring too.

Comment

• Glad the Braves won. And especially glad the Giants & Astros did not win.

Comment

• I don't mean to disrupt all of the narratives and vindication, but if Major League Baseball and the Players Association have not agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement by midnight December 2, it is very likely that the sport’s owners will lock out the players. If that happens, all of the typical offseason transactions, from free agency to the arbitration process to the Rule 5 draft, would likely be frozen until a new deal is reached. The mid-December winter meetings would likely be canceled.

Baby Jesus the Baseball God didn't deliver a World Series to Atlanta to own the libs. The Braves hit a lot of home runs. That's my analytic take. Ball go far, team go far. The Braves scored 25 runs in the Series, and 18 of them (72%) came on home runs. For their postseason run, they scored 38 of their 65 runs on homers.

The Braves won 88 games in the regular season, the least of every playoff participant in 2021. Once you're in, the sample size shrinks and you've got a shot just like the team that won 107. This was living proof before our very eyes that it's a crapshoot. Well played, Braves. You don't need to be the best team in baseball. Just be the best team in October. And November I suppose.

In ten years, will people still hate the Astros?
              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                I don't mean to disrupt all of the narratives and vindication, but if Major League Baseball and the Players Association have not agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement by midnight December 2, it is very likely that the sport’s owners will lock out the players. If that happens, all of the typical offseason transactions, from free agency to the arbitration process to the Rule 5 draft, would likely be frozen until a new deal is reached. The mid-December winter meetings would likely be canceled.

Baby Jesus the Baseball God didn't deliver a World Series to Atlanta to own the libs. The Braves hit a lot of home runs. That's my analytic take. Ball go far, team go far. The Braves scored 25 runs in the Series, and 18 of them (72%) came on home runs. For their postseason run, they scored 38 of their 65 runs on homers.

The Braves won 88 games in the regular season, the least of every playoff participant in 2021. Once you're in, the sample size shrinks and you've got a shot just like the team that won 107. This was living proof before our very eyes that it's a crapshoot. Well played, Braves. You don't need to be the best team in baseball. Just be the best team in October. And November I suppose.

I will at least

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

I will at least
                  I get it for AL West fans I guess, but I don't know how much longer it can go on once the last of that core is gone.

There is a 15 year old Dominican kid out there now who in ten years will be 25 and playing for the Astros. I'm supposed to boo him for something that happened when he was 12 and had no part of?

At some point, the sports world would have to move on.

Comment

I get it for AL West fans I guess, but I don't know how much longer it can go on once the last of that core is gone.

There is a 15 year old Dominican kid out there now who in ten years will be 25 and playing for the Astros. I'm supposed to boo him for something that happened when he was 12 and had no part of?

At some point, the sports world would have to move on.
                    They're not booing him, they're booing the franchise.

It's Karma for changing their name from the Colt 45's. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

They're not booing him, they're booing the franchise.

It's Karma for changing their name from the Colt 45's. lol
                      All of those people are basically gone now. You think in ten years they'll still be around?

What would it take, logo change and relocation?

sorry, it's just weird. And I don't believe in karma.

Comment

All of those people are basically gone now. You think in ten years they'll still be around?

What would it take, logo change and relocation?

sorry, it's just weird. And I don't believe in karma.
                        Are you some sort of stealth agent working for the Astros? You've been pleading with us that we just have to "move on", and on a ND forum of all places. We're a fan base that still finds Michigan detestable bc one of their coaches was an anti-Catholic a century ago.

I don't care that they cheated but it's just bizarre that you feel compelled to rehabilitate their brand.

Fans hold grudges. Move on.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Are you some sort of stealth agent working for the Astros? You've been pleading with us that we just have to "move on", and on a ND forum of all places. We're a fan base that still finds Michigan detestable bc one of their coaches was an anti-Catholic a century ago.

I don't care that they cheated but it's just bizarre that you feel compelled to rehabilitate their brand.

​​​​​​
                          To piggy back:

They cheated, and it was KNOWN they cheated. There's evidence and it's been basically admitted. Yet they get to keep their trophy and in the record book.

Comment

​​​​​​
                            I mean, it's a message board right? Engage in sports conversations, no?

To answer, no, I'm not a stealth agent for the Houston Astros. I simply have an opinion about the situation that conflicts with yours. I'm okay. You seem really bent that I feel the way I do, and I'm likely in the minority as it relates to the Astros, which I am also comfortable with. I'm trying to understand why people are intent on being upset about this forever. You've explained it. Thank you.

Knock yourself out, man. I'm not going to be pissed about this until my dying day. Freedoms.

Comment

To piggy back:

They cheated, and it was KNOWN they cheated. There's evidence and it's been basically admitted. Yet they get to keep their trophy and in the record book.
                              That's on MLB, and in case you haven't noticed, they're one of the most reactionary groups of people breathing air. Proactive? Not so much.

They absolutely should have been hammered harder. They weren't. That beef is with MLB and rightfully, which is part of the issue of why so many people are going to be aggravated about this forever. Not enough was done about it, and for that I completely agree.

Comment

That's on MLB, and in case you haven't noticed, they're one of the most reactionary groups of people breathing air. Proactive? Not so much.

They absolutely should have been hammered harder. They weren't. That beef is with MLB and rightfully, which is part of the issue of why so many people are going to be aggravated about this forever. Not enough was done about it, and for that I completely agree.
                                Absolutely correct it's on the MLB, but it's also on them, as a dirty organization.

MLB failed because Manfred clearly has no balls. He should also have been removed for it.

Comment

Absolutely correct it's on the MLB, but it's also on them, as a dirty organization.

MLB failed because Manfred clearly has no balls. He should also have been removed for it.
                                  The act was on them. The punishment or lack thereof is on MLB. In truth, if people really feel this strongly about it, a harsher sentence likely would not have mattered for people. Much, much different scenario but I still look at Penn State and think "gross." The people who were there for Sandusky to be enabled are long gone now. It doesn't change my perception, though. The punishment Penn State was nowhere near as severe as it should have been. I suppose I get it in this respect.

I believe others besides Houston and Boston have been doing this, though. That's why you don't see a lot of baseball people up in arms about it. They got away with it and won't throw stones.

I'm a Pirates fan. I know misery and bitterness better than most. I know people who still hate Sid Bream for sliding into home in the 1992 NLCS. I was fine with the Braves winning it the other night. Others still don't like Atlanta because of those LCS series 30 years ago. I think the franchise has far bigger fish to fry than carrying that weight, but I understand. Sid Bream is 61 years old now and played for the Pirates prior to going to Atlanta. He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but the Pirates (as we'd expect) offered him a deal that wasn't as good as what the Braves did. So he left. For, as you see, athletes are not like regular people and should not make these types of choices.

Now with all this being said, Carlos Correa is a free agent this winter assuming there is no lockout. Who'd take him on their team? I'd say many would. Surely some would not because he took part in the trash can sign stealing with Houston. He's not coming to the Pirates, but if you're a contender or close, I'd think you'd want him to make you better. I wouldn't understand taking a pass on him, especially if he were interested in coming to you.

But I understand.

Comment

I mean, it's a message board right? Engage in sports conversations, no?

To answer, no, I'm not a stealth agent for the Houston Astros. I simply have an opinion about the situation that conflicts with yours. I'm okay. You seem really bent that I feel the way I do, and I'm likely in the minority as it relates to the Astros, which I am also comfortable with. I'm trying to understand why people are intent on being upset about this forever. You've explained it. Thank you.

Knock yourself out, man. I'm not going to be pissed about this until my dying day. Freedoms.
                                    I don't care that they cheated or did whatever they did. But I care even less that fans are bothered by it.

Comment

I don't care that they cheated or did whatever they did. But I care even less that fans are bothered by it.
                                      Agreed. I actually think it's rather amusing, though.

Incidentally, as you are a White Sox fan, get a look at Houston in 2021 vs the AL Central:

CWS: 5-2
                                      CLE: 6-1
                                      KC: 3-4
                                      MIN: 3-4
                                      DET: 2-5

Comment

• My list of baseball fuck thems is long:

astros
                                        red sux
                                        doyers
                                        all the above’s collective fans
                                        and about 25 other teams,…
                                        There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

I don't mean to disrupt all of the narratives and vindication, but if Major League Baseball and the Players Association have not agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement by midnight December 2, it is very likely that the sport’s owners will lock out the players. If that happens, all of the typical offseason transactions, from free agency to the arbitration process to the Rule 5 draft, would likely be frozen until a new deal is reached. The mid-December winter meetings would likely be canceled.

But does Jesus believe in karma? Checkmate libtards
                                          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

But does Jesus believe in karma? Checkmate libtards
                                            Jesus believes in home runs.

Comment

• Congrats to the Bravos. They deserve that Championship. What a great second half of the season. Lots of excellent contributors. Glad Freeman finally got a ring.
                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                Congrats to the Bravos. They deserve that Championship. What a great second half of the season. Lots of excellent contributors. Glad Freeman finally got a ring.
                                                They silenced a very good Astros lineup with pitching and defense.

Oh, then there's that other thing.

Only the Jays and Giants hit more home runs in the regular season. 16 postseason games, the Braves hit 23 dingers.

Comment

• New CBA is not likely by December 2nd, which means a lockout is coming. Will it cost games on the schedule is the question.

Comment

• wild money for a 37 year old.

Comment

• I really thought the Angels would go after long term pitching fixes this year... I really did. I'm starting to realize that with a healthy marriage and all that my "toxic relationship with a serial abuser" phase is totally dedicated to my sports teams.........

Comment

• The lockout is going to hurt the game again.
                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Finally….the following were elected to the HOF yesterday:

Buck O’Neill
                                                          Minnie Minoso
                                                          Gil Hodges
                                                          Tony Oliva
                                                          Jim Kaat

Buck was a pioneer of the Negro League and transitioned to the MLB as a coach & scout. You can catch a lot of his insights on the Ken Burns “Baseball” doc.

Minnie Minoso was from Cuba and played with the White Sox, Indians & Cardinals in a career that (kind of) spanned multiple decades. While his HOF numbers were posted in the 50-60s, he reappeared w/ the White Sox in 1976 to become he oldest player to ever record a base hit.

Gil Hodges was one of the “Boys of Summer” from the Brooklyn Dodgers. He know posthumously joins Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella & Duke Snider into the HOF from that book-inspiring era. He also skippered the “MIracle Mets” in the 1969 World Series. Tragically, he would die of a heart attack in Spring Training a few years later at the age of 47.

Tony Oliva & Jim Kaat were both part of the great Twins teams from the 1960s. Oliva was an excellent hitter and outfielder whose career was cut short by knee injuries. Kitty Kaat won 16 Gold Gloves at his position and won just under 300 games for the Twins, White Sox, Cardinals, Yankees & Phillies.

Dick Allen who just passed away missed induction by one vote which is bullshit. Can’t believe Kenny Boyer & Vada Pinson didn’t get close.

Comment

• It appears David Ortiz is going to be a first ballot HOF. If this is the case, this really isn't about steroids or even the DH for that matter, is it? It's about who was nice to the writers, who votes for the HOF. I'm actually good with Ortiz going in first ballot, but...

Ortiz was nice.

Comment

It appears David Ortiz is going to be a first ballot HOF. If this is the case, this really isn't about steroids or even the DH for that matter, is it? It's about who was nice to the writers, who votes for the HOF. I'm actually good with Ortiz going in first ballot, but...

Ortiz was nice.
                                                              Yes. It’s why Dick Allen isn’t in yet (missed by one vote and just recently passed away). Jim Rice had to wait longer for the same reason. Bonds hated media & vice versa. Clemens did himself no favors w/ the media. ARod is trying to be Papi but his sincerity is phony.

There are two groups of voters w/ too large of a divide between them. You have the sportswriters which can include personal biases against former players. Then you have the former players/managers/execs who are typically more biased in favor of more inductees. There needs to be a happy medium to get the truly deserving in as early as possible.

The standard used to be “If you have to make a case of a player, he doesn’t deserve it”. That’s out the window now so I wish they’d come together and give hard consideration to the older ones who are waiting on pins & needles every time a vote comes up in hopes they are inducted before they pass away.

Guys like:

Dale Murphy
                                                              Dave Parker
                                                              Al Oliver
                                                              Maury Wills
                                                              Bobby Grich
                                                              Steve Garvey
                                                              Tommy John
                                                              Luis Tiant
                                                              Dave Concepcion
                                                              Pete Rose
                                                              Lou Whitaker
                                                              Don Mattingly
                                                              Keith Hernandez

I’m not saying all the above names deserve enshrinement but they deserve legitimate consideration based on who’s been elected from eras after theirs.

Comment

It appears David Ortiz is going to be a first ballot HOF. If this is the case, this really isn't about steroids or even the DH for that matter, is it? It's about who was nice to the writers, who votes for the HOF. I'm actually good with Ortiz going in first ballot, but...

Ortiz was nice.
                                                                I doubt he makes it first ballot. Generally the people who publish their votes early have a much more forgiving nature regarding steroid/PED suspicions.

Comment

• Ortiz getting in when a list of others aren’t/won’t is criminal,… the HoF is meaningless to me at this point

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                    Ortiz getting in when a list of others aren’t/won’t is criminal,… the HoF is meaningless to me at this point
                                                                    Mariano Rivera getting 100%, but Griffey Jr. not a few years prior because, "he played in the steroid era." Yeah, so did Mariano, but you liked him more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post

Yes. It’s why Dick Allen isn’t in yet (missed by one vote and just recently passed away). Jim Rice had to wait longer for the same reason. Bonds hated media & vice versa. Clemens did himself no favors w/ the media. ARod is trying to be Papi but his sincerity is phony.

There are two groups of voters w/ too large of a divide between them. You have the sportswriters which can include personal biases against former players. Then you have the former players/managers/execs who are typically more biased in favor of more inductees. There needs to be a happy medium to get the truly deserving in as early as possible.

The standard used to be “If you have to make a case of a player, he doesn’t deserve it”. That’s out the window now so I wish they’d come together and give hard consideration to the older ones who are waiting on pins & needles every time a vote comes up in hopes they are inducted before they pass away.

Guys like:

Dale Murphy
                                                                      Dave Parker
                                                                      Al Oliver
                                                                      Maury Wills
                                                                      Bobby Grich
                                                                      Steve Garvey
                                                                      Tommy John
                                                                      Luis Tiant
                                                                      Dave Concepcion
                                                                      Pete Rose
                                                                      Lou Whitaker
                                                                      Don Mattingly
                                                                      Keith Hernandez

I’m not saying all the above names deserve enshrinement but they deserve legitimate consideration based on who’s been elected from eras after theirs.
                                                                      Whitaker should be in.

Comment

• Would love to see Dewey Evans get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                          Would love to see Dewey Evans get in.
                                                                          Yes! He’s another one worthy of more consideration in the list I posted.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                          Working...
                                                                          X