The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

With the exception of the Blazers, Portland hasn't been much of a sports town. IIRC back in the 70's there was a push to get an MLB team and they couldn't drum up the support. Seattle ended up with one of the expansion teams.
    Yep, but it's 2021 and if they can build the stadium they'll be in the conversation. They should also consider who is going to have the disposable income to go to games regularly. The cost of living in Nashville has come up as I recall reading recently.

I still think Las Vegas is the most likely desination. They just need to be able to build the ballpark.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Ohtani's home run last night....yowzers.

Another no hitter thrown. It's not even Memorial Day yet.
      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
        Ohtani's home run last night....yowzers.

Yeah, and the Mariners are lucky enough to be part of two of them...

Comment

• It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Ohtani's home run last night....yowzers.

As a Tigers fan, I haven't had much to root for this year until last night. Glad I stayed up for it, Spencer Turnbull pitched an absolute gem. I thought he was in trouble when he walked the leadoff batter in the 9th but he cleaned it up and took care of business.

First no hitter for Detroit since Verlander's second NH in 2011 and only 8th in franchise history.
            My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Another no hitter last night.

MLB will react and now force hitters to replace bats with rolled up wet newspapers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

As a Tigers fan, I haven't had much to root for this year until last night. Glad I stayed up for it, Spencer Turnbull pitched an absolute gem. I thought he was in trouble when he walked the leadoff batter in the 9th but he cleaned it up and took care of business.

First no hitter for Detroit since Verlander's second NH in 2011 and only 8th in franchise history.
                Torkbomb is coming...

Comment

• If I am a starter and I have NOT thrown a no hitter, I might want to see a sports shrink. LOL.

Seriously, this is absolutely nuts that there are now 7 before Memorial Day.

Comment

• The 7 No-Hitters alone should up the average number of Complete Games. Recently, to lead the league in CGs, a pitcher only had to have one.

Comment

• Tampa, Oakland and Chicago all in first place in the AL. That's some planet alignment I can get used to.

Every few years, MLB changes the baseball and things get weird in one direction or the other.

Comment

• Comment

Tampa, Oakland and Chicago all in first place in the AL. That's some planet alignment I can get used to.

Every few years, MLB changes the baseball and things get weird in one direction or the other.
                          As a Red Sox fan, I'm afraid the Rays may be for real :(

Comment

• With the win today, Tony La Russa moves to 2nd in All-Time Managerial Wins. Congrats!

It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• I am absolutely fascinated by this White Sox team. Their chairman and manager, not so much, but I think they have the talent and window to do great things in spite of them both.

If they can avoid any additional injuries and stop the all the bunting, they're going to be in the thick of things come October. If the Twins wind up selling by the July deadline, they could cruise to this Central title.

Comment

• After watching the draft I think baseball needs to change the whole system.

I would like the see the minor league teams not tied to any one baseball team. Essentially making the MLB draft open to high school/college/minor league players.

Who ever is not drafted after the MLB draft then the minor league teams sign/draft the rest.

That way MLB could start trading draft picks, the Ryan Howards are not stuck behind the Jim Thome's...

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
                                  After watching the draft I think baseball needs to change the whole system.

I would like the see the minor league teams not tied to any one baseball team. Essentially making the MLB draft open to high school/college/minor league players.

Who ever is not drafted after the MLB draft then the minor league teams sign/draft the rest.

That way MLB could start trading draft picks, the Ryan Howards are not stuck behind the Jim Thome's...
                                  The draft is already open to HS and college players. The minor league players have already been drafted. The Covid and post Covid drafts already have fewer rounds. It isn't good.

It isn't open to Cuban players, Japanese players, etc. If they were going to change the system I think it might need to start there.

Comment

• Love that the Sox got Wes Kath in the 2nd. Goes to school with my kid at Desert Mountain and was supposed to play for my buddy at ASU.

Dude can rake with a sweet lefty stroke. Batted just under .500 & had 11 HR in 24G for the 5A State Champs.

Comment

• Also note his bio. I don't think he's going to Clemson anymore.

Comment

• Yup Will Taylor fell though. The worry was both would go early and they’d be left with a bare cupboard at QB. If they lose Chandler not ideal but not their worst possible outcome

Comment

• The Pirates absolutely raked the first two days. On paper, I absolutely love what they did.

Comment

• Cleveland changing their name to the Guardians.

Comment

• Of the Galaxy?

Comment

• I was praising Kenley Jansen for working hard in the off-season to get in better shape, increase velo and basically go back to being effective this season. Now he’s blown back-to-back saves vs their rival and seems to have regressed to his 2020 level. Roberts needs to demote him to middle relief if he can no longer get the job done. He’s back to being a gas can.

Comment

The Pirates absolutely raked the first two days. On paper, I absolutely love what they did.
                                                  Agreed. Now tell their front office to not trade it all away for a middling, overpriced pitcher like they did when they acquired Archer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                                    Cleveland changing their name to the Guardians.
                                                    I haven't been this outraged since the Brooklyn Robins changed their name to the Dodgers in 1932.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                    Working...
                                                    X