X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

I'd say strange could be a potential understatement. LOL!

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
    I just threw up in my mouth...

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
    I think it was their closer.. Wetteland. The legend took over after he signed with Texas if memory serves.

I loved the Boggs thing, my hatred for boston is long standing and even then I was like, "I love this.. screw the sox".

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.
    yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.
    Yeah, I know...hence my post. That was very apparent every time the fat lefty wobbled his way to the mound.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...
    I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    Or the Yanks...
    We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Nope, karma is biting the 'Stros in the ass for signing a woman beater to close games. Baseball works funny that way sometimes. That idiot GM should have just shut his trap after finishing off the Yanks.
    I don't believe in Karma. I think the Nationals are just really good when they're healthy.

You're right about the Assistant GM acting like an ass, and whats more, the team doubled down by not offering any kind of apology or gee we're sorry that happened kind of approach. So they're another group of people who think that they can just do and act however they want without consequence because.

So I hope they get swept. It's the only consequence that will matter outside of anything that could hurt them financially. Smart group of guys in that front office, but evidently they feel empowered to act like ass bags and not have to be accountable.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    1. I hope the Nationals sweep the Astros. That pitching, the highest wRC since the 1927 Yankees, and down 2-0 to start the WS. Baseball.

2. Not sure how having a manager who was on the team three years ago helps the Cubs get more out of their players. Ross is going to have to draw the line in the sand as the boss and not the older brother figure he was in 2016. Interesting move, and Theo ran the show on this hire. As always, they were transparent and told everyone Ross was the front runner.

3. Joe Girardi and Bryce Harper. Enjoy

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    Better y'all than the Cubs
    Or the Yanks...

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Thatís what everyone hopes....
    Better y'all than the Cubs

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    So are your Halos going to sign Gerrit Cole? I understand he wants to play near his hometown.
    Thatís what everyone hopes....

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900;2133233[B
    ]My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things[/B],... feels like the 96 series...
    That's the White Castles. It's not over, but Nats have a big advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...
    Nope, karma is biting the 'Stros in the ass for signing a woman beater to close games. Baseball works funny that way sometimes. That idiot GM should have just shut his trap after finishing off the Yanks.
    Last edited by Irish2155; 10-24-2019, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    So are your Halos going to sign Gerrit Cole? I understand he wants to play near his hometown.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied

Leave a comment:

• loomis41973
    replied
    David Ross to manage the Cubs? How are north siders feeling about that hire?

I'm just happy we don't have to hear him in the booth any longer...geesh.
    Very Meh....I guess with good and experienced bench, hitting and pitching coaches it could work.

Leave a comment:

• T Town Tommy
    replied

Not a north sider but...

From Maddon to Ross? The only winner here is the Angels.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Fun first game from a neutral perspective... with the pitching being what is was I figured the game was done and dusted multiple times and kept being proven wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ickythump1225
    replied
    Go 'stros!

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    This quote from Carlos Correa to @Buster_ESPN is something: "It’s a great series. We knew they had a great team. Like they call themselves, they’re savages. But in this jungle called the American League, we’re the apex predator."

Leave a comment:

• T-Boone
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    Just one more reason on top of the other billion to hate NY...
    Well what are the other billion? I mean, just name 100 thousand of them?

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Altuve and the astros send the Yanks packing. Altuve is a beast!

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
    Jesus, this is just some classless and disturbing stuff from Yankee fans. Good to see Greinke play through it and shutting their fans up.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astro...on-alcs-report
    Just one more reason on top of the other billion to hate NY...

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    That is the best comparison I've ever heard.
    I was tailgating near a former member of NDís training staff back in 2014 before UNC game. She, very politely; painted an unfavorable picture of Clausen as the douchebag I always suspected he was.

That being said, I hope he matured past that into his adult life. And, his 2009 season has to be one of the greatest QB performances wasted by a nonexistent defense. I think Ď09 was the season he played w/ the toe injury as well?

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    No need to apologize. I have no skin in the game...If the Nats were my team Iíd want them focused on winning a ring...not petty back & forth.

He sounds like the Jimmy Clausen of MLB.
    That is the best comparison I've ever heard.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Sorry, but when he and his wife continue to take shots at DC from the start of the season to the very end it's going to continue to be a story. If he had handled leaving differently, we wouldn't still be talking about him. But he's Bryce Harper.
    No need to apologize. I have no skin in the game...If the Nats were my team I’d want them focused on winning a ring...not petty back & forth.

That’s the thing, he’s good but nowhere near the ‘greatest high school player ever’ hype he came in with and he’s only had one year where he was anywhere near that.

He sounds like the Jimmy Clausen of MLB.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    That’s the thing, he’s good but nowhere near the ‘greatest high school player ever’ hype he came in with and he’s only had one year where he was anywhere near that.
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    He's really not even that good of a baseball player either, especially for that money. 4th most Ks in the league this year. And the few guys who struck out more had 49, 41 and 53 bombs compared to Bryce's 35.
    In a better hitters park then he came from in DC.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    From watching him and read articles on him Bryce is a complete a$$hole. So he gets want ever he deserves.
    He's really not even that good of a baseball player either, especially for that money. 4th most Ks in the league this year. And the few guys who struck out more had 49, 41 and 53 bombs compared to Bryce's 35.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    Jesus, this is just some classless and disturbing stuff from Yankee fans. Good to see Greinke play through it and shutting their fans up.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astro...on-alcs-report

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    From watching him and read articles on him Bryce is a complete a$$hole. So he gets want ever he deserves.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    Thatís fine but they need to move on. Celebrate your success and win the WS...donít waste energy rubbing Harperís nose in the fact he left. Be better than that.
    Sorry, but when he and his wife continue to take shots at DC from the start of the season to the very end it's going to continue to be a story. If he had handled leaving differently, we wouldn't still be talking about him. But he's Bryce Harper.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    That would be a great hire for a team that seems just a piece or two away

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Ron Washington getting a second interview for the Padres opening. That would be a sweet gig w/ their youth movement...and living in San Diego.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    The best decision the Nats ever made was refusing to seriously bid on Harper. Heís a good player, but he is not worth the money he is being paid. The power dynamics with him on the roster were also questionable... he and Boras had an inordinate amount of influence on decision making, and thatís not a good thing.
    Thatís fine but they need to move on. Celebrate your success and win the WS...donít waste energy rubbing Harperís nose in the fact he left. Be better than that.

Nats' success shouldn't be about Bryce Harper
    By Bill Baer | Oct 16, 2019 7:45 PM CDT

Bryce Harper turns 27 years old today. As an early birthday present, he got to watch his former team reach the World Series for the first time in franchise history. His new team finished exactly at .500 in fourth place, missing the playoffs. These were facts that did not go unnoticed as the Nationals completed an NLCS sweep of the Cardinals at home last night.

Harper spent seven seasons with the Nationals before hitting free agency and ultimately signing with the Phillies on a 13-million, $330 million contract. The Nationals offered Harper a 10-year, $300 million contract at the end of the 2018 regular season, but about $100 million of that was deferred until he was 65 which lowered the present-day value of the offer. The Natsí offer wasnít even in the same ballpark, really.

Nevertheless, Nationals fans were upset that their prodigy jilted them to go to the Phillies. He was mercilessly booed whenever the Phillies played in D.C. Nats fansí Harper jerseys were destroyed, or at least taped over.

Harper, of course, was phenomenal with the Nationals. He won the NL Rookie of the Year Award in 2012, then won the NL MVP Award several years later with an historically outstanding 1.109 OPS while leading the league with 42 homers and 118 runs scored. Overall, as a National, he had a .900 OPS. Pretty good. He was also productive in the postseason, posting an .801 OPS across 19 games, mostly against playoff teamsí best starters and best relievers. Furthermore, if the Nats had Harper this year, he would have been in right field in lieu of Adam Eaton. Harper out OPSíd Eaton by 90 points and posted 2.5 more WAR in a similar amount of playing time. The Nationals would have been even better if they had Harper this year.

The Nationals lost all four Division Series they appeared in during the Harper era. 3-2 to the Cardinals in 2012, 3-1 to the Giants in í14, 3-2 to the Dodgers in í16, and 3-2 to the Cubs in í17. They finally get over the hump the first year theyíre without Harper, thatís the difference, right? I saw the phrase ďaddition by subtractionĒ repeatedly last night, referring to Harper and the Natsí subsequent success without him.

Harper, though, didnít fork over four runs to the Cardinals in the top of the ninth inning in Game 5 in 2012. He didnít allow the Dodgers to rally for four runs in the seventh inning of Game 5 in í16 before ultimately losing 4-3. He didnít use a gassed Max Scherzer in relief in 2017ís Game 5, when he allowed five of the seven Cubs he faced to reach base, leading to three runs which loomed large in a 9-8 loss. If certain rolls of the dice in those years had gone the Nationalsí way, they would have appeared in the NLCS. They mightíve even been able to win a World Series.

The Nationals saw how that looks this year. It was the opposing manager this time, Dave Roberts, who mismanaged his bullpen. Howie Kendrick then hit a tie-breaking grand slam in the 10th inning off of Joe Kelly to win the NLDS for the Nats. The playoffs are random. Sometimes a ball bounces your way, sometimes an umpireís call goes your way, and sometimes the opposing manager makes several unforced errors to throw Game 5 in your lap.

Reaching the World Series, then thumbing your nose while sticking out your tongue at Harper feels like a guy tagging his ex-girlfriend on his new wedding photos. Itís time to move on.

Follow @Baer_Bill

Leave a comment:

• ickythump1225
    replied
    Nope.

They could lose 20-0 and he'll say it was positive. The guy is a motivational poster you've seen 100 times in the lobby of your kid's dentist office.
    Maddon is a legit good manager though.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Nope.

They could lose 20-0 and he'll say it was positive. The guy is a motivational poster you've seen 100 times in the lobby of your kid's dentist office.
    LMAO...yeah, pretty much. I've never been a big Maddon fan going back to his days in Tampa.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Congrats Nats. You think Bryce Harper is rethinking his decision? Idk how that actually went down.

Probably will be rooting for the Astros here on out though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I doubt he is. He's going to get a boatload of money.

He took a better financial deal, but he's an athlete, so people shit on him for doing it. I get it. I've moved on. I'm enjoying the Nationals without worrying about Harper, especially since they jettisoned the Cardinals. I consider us all winners for that.

The Nationals are no fluke. When they got healthy they took off running. They spent a good deal of the season without Rendon and some others, but once they had a full roster they cruised to something like a 75-48 record.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Angels hire Maddon if anyone cares.... :)
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
    I really don't take any issue with Shildt's words. I mean it's a locker room, I assume stuff like that is said all the time. But Molina and some of the players? They can go get bent. Also the Braves as an organization showed themselves to be cowards by banning the Chop hours before the biggest game in the last 18 years all because an opposing pitcher had some things to say about it. They can go pound sand too. At least Helsley didn't get his feelings hurt though.
    Again i agree with everything you said.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    All the important people care....

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Nice to see a new face in the WS. Now my Yankees need to figure a way to get to the Astro's pitching. It's only 2-1, but feels more like 3-1.
    Does a rain out today help or hurt the Yankees? I think both teams were planning on a bullpen day.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Stros/Nats would be a starting pitching matchup for the ages,...

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Nice to see a new face in the WS. Now my Yankees need to figure a way to get to the Astro's pitching. It's only 2-1, but feels more like 3-1.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    Congrats Nats. You think Bryce Harper is rethinking his decision? Idk how that actually went down.

Probably will be rooting for the Astros here on out though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    The best decision the Nats ever made was refusing to seriously bid on Harper. Heís a good player, but he is not worth the money he is being paid. The power dynamics with him on the roster were also questionable... he and Boras had an inordinate amount of influence on decision making, and thatís not a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• ickythump1225
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    I agree. That video of the coach after they beat the Braves got released. Hey coach you just got skunked haha. And Molina has always been a mouth piece.
    I really don't take any issue with Shildt's words. I mean it's a locker room, I assume stuff like that is said all the time. But Molina and some of the players? They can go get bent. Also the Braves as an organization showed themselves to be cowards by banning the Chop hours before the biggest game in the last 18 years all because an opposing pitcher had some things to say about it. They can go pound sand too. At least Helsley didn't get his feelings hurt though.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X