No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was one of the dorks that crusaded to get Blyleven into the HOF.

Not a Twins fan, either.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
      I was one of the dorks that crusaded to get Blyleven into the HOF.

Not a Twins fan, either.
      The people of the Norh Central part of America thank you for your service. Few causes more noble than a crusade for Bert
      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Juan Soto in September:

20 games
        .530 OBP
        25 BB / 14 SO
        11 *intentional* BB
        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• When the Angels hit bottom and Halo fans were all, ‘well at least we can pick first in the draft,’ I called it,... they’ll get hot and finish just out of the playoffs,... AGAIN. Do I know my team or do I know my team??
          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Twins are gonna win this thing....i can feel it. <---i say this every year
            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• They better at least beat the Reds

Comment

• Twins, Rays, Reds, Padres,... someone like that has to win it all this year. Just not Oakland because F The A’s
                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• I would like to see the Houston Astros present this year's NL Cy Young Award to Yu Darvish.

Funny how when all the news of those shenanigans came out, Darvish got his groove back. Maybe that's happenstance.

Comment

• I have no faith in the Cards getting past the Padres

Comment

• I'm so glad the Sox went from a guaranteed showdown with the Dodgers to the 7th seed in a week. I would've had egg on my face if they got to the Series a year early.

That said, they have to beat the A's. Somehow, two of my best friends are rabid A's fans (70's kids) and my best friend is a Cubs fan with the A's as his back up team.

Oddly enough, I grew up 2 miles from Charlie Finley's house in LaPorte, IN and played for the Springfield Twp A's.

Comment

• So is this the first and last year of the expanded playoff? I know it's a shortened season but seeing a team with a sub .500 record in is crazy. Also seeing on division get 4/5 teams in doesn't sit right either.
                        Prehistoric

Comment

• Hum Redlegs

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                            So is this the first and last year of the expanded playoff? I know it's a shortened season but seeing a team with a sub .500 record in is crazy. Also seeing on division get 4/5 teams in doesn't sit right either.
                            Just have fun with it. Yes, only this year

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                              I'm so glad the Sox went from a guaranteed showdown with the Dodgers to the 7th seed in a week. I would've had egg on my face if they got to the Series a year early.

That said, they have to beat the A's. Somehow, two of my best friends are rabid A's fans (70's kids) and my best friend is a Cubs fan with the A's as his back up team.

Oddly enough, I grew up 2 miles from Charlie Finley's house in LaPorte, IN and played for the Springfield Twp A's.
                              14-0 vs lefty starters this year. I understand they do not do traditionally well in Oakland, however. I am pulling for the winner of that series or Tampa to get through the AL.

The Dodgers look really good. Projected 116 wins in a 162 game season. October is a crapshoot. We'll see if they can finally walk the walk.

Comment

So is this the first and last year of the expanded playoff? I know it's a shortened season but seeing a team with a sub .500 record in is crazy. Also seeing on division get 4/5 teams in doesn't sit right either.
                                You won't have to worry about it for another 100 years when the next pandemic hits. I, for one, am thankful we even got to see baseball this year.

Comment

You won't have to worry about it for another 100 years when the next pandemic hits. I, for one, am thankful we even got to see baseball this year.
                                  id have to go back and look at past seasons but I fee like two more playoff teams is always going to be pushing close to that .500 mark
                                  Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                    I'm so glad the Sox went from a guaranteed showdown with the Dodgers to the 7th seed in a week. I would've had egg on my face if they got to the Series a year early.

Twins are the only team that matter.
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

id have to go back and look at past seasons but I fee like two more playoff teams is always going to be pushing close to that .500 mark
                                      I don't think this is going to stay come 2021. I hope it doesn't, anyway. I would agree that seeing .500 teams in the postseason is not ideal in terms of consumption.

Comment

• Twins appear on their way to losing their SEVENTEENTH CONSECUTIVE PLAYOFF GAME
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Crazy, considering they’ve been in the playoffs quite a bit this century and their last win was when my Halos were defending champs or some such,... ouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                            Crazy, considering theyíve been in the playoffs quite a bit this century and their last win was when my Halos were defending champs or some such,... ouch.
                                            I think their last playoff series win was against the money-ball A's. That alone is forever.
                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                              I think their last playoff series win was against the money-ball A's. That alone is forever.
                                              To add a little more context on how long it's been for the Twins....I believe their last playoff win was the same year that the Sox rallied back from 0-3 against the Yanks. And there is already an ESPN 30 for 30 out on that...

Your boys wanted no piece of Papi and the self proclaimed "idiots", NY had to learn the hard way. :)

Comment

I think the intent was to ensure the better teams that might get off to a slow start would still have a chance to make the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if MLB expands the number of teams permanently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                  To add a little more context on how long it's been for the Twins....I believe their last playoff win was the same year that the Sox rallied back from 0-3 against the Yanks. And there is already an ESPN 30 for 30 out on that...

Your boys wanted no piece of Papi and the self proclaimed "idiots", NY had to learn the hard way. :)
                                                  You Red Sox fans are so insufferable!

Comment

• Cincinnati had runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs in the first inning... got nothing out of it, with Trevor Bauer on the mound.

Getting big "A Cincinnati Team Is Playing In The Playoffs" vibes right now.

Comment

• Baseball is stupid, I give up. 18 straight playoff losses? Come on.

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                                        Baseball is stupid, I give up. 18 straight playoff losses? Come on.
                                                        I'm done. I dont see a point in watching another game until they win a playoff game. At this point its just bizarre. Even a terrible baseball team wins like 40% of the time, unless you are the Minnesota Twins and you are in the playoffs.
                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I'm done. I dont see a point in watching another game until they win a playoff game. At this point its just bizarre. Even a terrible baseball team wins like 40% of the time, unless you are the Minnesota Twins and you are in the playoffs.
                                                          From the Athletic:
                                                          The Twins have now lost 18 postseason games in a row. Yeah, 18. You know how hard it is to do that, for a team good enough to make the playoffs? Letís put it this way. In the past 100 years, only nine teams have lost 18 or more in a row in the regular season. And every one of those teams was brutal. They averaged 103 losses. So you can understand how teams like that lose 18 in a row.
                                                          They had the best record in baseball in September and the best home record. They still got swept.

Comment

Perspective: the Twins have a more recent WS championship than the following teams:

Los Angeles Dodgers
                                                            San Diego Padres
                                                            Oakland Aís
                                                            Seattle Mariners
                                                            New York Mets
                                                            Milwaukee Brewers
                                                            Texas Rangers
                                                            Detroit Tigers
                                                            Baltimore Orioles
                                                            Tampa Bay Rays
                                                            Colorado Rockies
                                                            Pittsburgh Pirates
                                                            Cincinnati Reds
                                                            Cleveland Indians

Comment

• Just had a mic’d up player backfire in the Oakland/Sox game,... not sure if it was the mic’d player or what but a clear, ‘stop fucking around!!’ Live in air. Lol

Comment

• Love the game right now. The talent is staggering. So many games, so many pitchers I have never heard of throwing 100 MPH. Happy to have baseball in October and looking forward to what comes next.

As a Pirates fan, I have to live vicariously through everyone and everything else. At least the Twins have gotten a few bites at the apple compared to the Bucs.

Fernando Tatis Jr., Luis Robert....wow.

Comment

• Marlins just broke the streak,... starting with the first round of the the Stanley Cup playoffs (not the play in the actual first round) every single team I rooted for in either first round lost. Every. Single. One. I was starting to get pretty down on myself,.......

Comment

• Lol cubs

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• People need to stop trading with the Tampa Rays.

Comment

• The amount of home runs in the Astros series,... Good. Lord. It’s only game four and they already broke the all time record.

Comment

• The first two games of the ALCS have been utterly crazy. I have no idea what the ratings look like, and frankly I could be the only person on Earth watching and I wouldn't care.

Look at the numbers and then ask yourself how the Rays have scored more runs and are up 2-0. Simple answer is ball go far, team go far.

Comment

• Loving this game right now,...

Comment

• The Braves and Rays are playing like they won't lose again. So when they face off it should be fun.

Comment

The Braves and Rays are playing like they won't lose again. So when they face off it should be fun.
                                                                                So they both finally lost. The Braves in rather spectacular fashion.

Comment

So they both finally lost. The Braves in rather spectacular fashion.
                                                                                  When I tuned in, it was 11-0 in top of first inning. Unreal. I suspect it was LAís last gasp before they implode today & tomorrow. Hope Iím wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                    When I tuned in, it was 11-0 in top of first inning. Unreal. I suspect it was LAís last gasp before they implode today & tomorrow. Hope Iím wrong.
                                                                                    Kershaw is going next, and after digging into ATL's bullpen like they just did, that's a good scenario for the Dodgers.

Would have liked to have seen the Astros swept, though I have never appreciatede Dusty Baker more until now.

Still, the Rays last five years worth of payrolls are about as much as what the Yankees gave Gerit Cole. Sign me up for them to win this thing.

Comment

I actually get the opposite vibe, hope Iím wrong...

Comment

• The Braves assistant GM is probably going to be a good candidate for the Angels or Phillies job. Perry Minasian is his name, I believe.

Ron Washington and Matt Quartaro are two guys the White Sox should have a look at, though they appear interested in dragging Tony LaRussa's old, drinky bones out for an interview for whatever reason.

Ron Washington managing that White Sox team would make them even more of a compelling team to track in the next few years.

Comment

• Hard to believe it’s taking Washington this long to get another crack,...

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                            Hard to believe itís taking Washington this long to get another crack,...
                                                                                            I agree, and he wants one, too.

He's 68 years old but he's with it as far as what front offices want, which is to believe in math.

He admitted the extramarital affair he was having in 2014 and he's battled substance abuse as well, but was a finalist for the Braves job when it last opened. They were smart and hired him to coach third to replace Bo Porter when he moved to the front office.

Comment

• Dave Roberts is like a kid who put BOTH hands on the burning stove once only to not learn his lesson and do it again.

I am thinking he's going to be on the market once the Dodger season is over.

And Chicago should hire him instead of Tony LaRussa, yes.

Comment

I was not wrong. Itís over.

Comment

Dave Roberts is like a kid who put BOTH hands on the burning stove once only to not learn his lesson and do it again.

I am thinking he's going to be on the market once the Dodger season is over.

And Chicago should hire him instead of Tony LaRussa, yes.
                                                                                                  I felt like that last year after the Nats eliminated them but now Iím not so sure. He canít go to bat for those stiffs who all the sudden couldnít hit sand if they fell off a camel. Their only way on base is a walk. If not, theyíre striking out or popping out. Pitiful.

Comment

I felt like that last year after the Nats eliminated them but now Iím not so sure. He canít go to bat for those stiffs who all the sudden couldnít hit sand if they fell off a camel. Their only way on base is a walk. If not, theyíre striking out or popping out. Pitiful.
                                                                                                    Plenty of blame to go around. There always is. It is a familiar story all the way around.

One thing I have discovered during this shortened season and expanded postseason is that there are quite a few pitchers I have never heard of that all seem to throw high 90s to 100 MPH with filthy disgusting breaking stuff. That being said, if you can get a walk, just take the fucker and be happy because the idea of "just making contact" is our grandpa and dad's baseball. Off speed pitches are in the low 90s now. YOU go make contact with that filth.

The manager has control of the pitching staff. This is the second time now in the post season that Roberts has failed to lift Kershaw at a critical time when even my nine year old daughter knew he had to take him out. He let Ozuna have a third look at Kershaw and the game was hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That's systemic failure on his part and it isn't the first time.

The Dodgers are not done, but they're hanging onto the side of the building.

Comment

Plenty of blame to go around. There always is. It is a familiar story all the way around.

One thing I have discovered during this shortened season and expanded postseason is that there are quite a few pitchers I have never heard of that all seem to throw high 90s to 100 MPH with filthy disgusting breaking stuff. That being said, if you can get a walk, just take the fucker and be happy because the idea of "just making contact" is our grandpa and dad's baseball. Off speed pitches are in the low 90s now. YOU go make contact with that filth.

The manager has control of the pitching staff. This is the second time now in the post season that Roberts has failed to lift Kershaw at a critical time when even my nine year old daughter knew he had to take him out. He let Ozuna have a third look at Kershaw and the game was hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That's systemic failure on his part and it isn't the first time.

The Dodgers are not done, but they're hanging onto the side of the building.
                                                                                                      I agree. Roberts may be too much of a “player’s coach” to get them over the hump. It was inexcusable last season when Roberts brought Kershaw in for a perfect inning of relief & then mistakenly trotted him back out there to give up back-to-back bombs that lost the game. He would’ve looked like a maestro had he just kept Kershaw in the dugout & thanked him for doing his “job” on short notice.

Last night was not as bad when you consider Graterol got lit up worse than Kershaw but I still agree w/ your point. Still, my biggest complaint is two recent MVPs & a slew of accomplished hitters couldn’t swat a fly last night or in Games 1-2.

Lastly, not that they’ll need him to save any wins today or tomorrow but Kenley Jansen should never be a closer again. His cutter doesn’t cut half the time & he has zero velocity. Graterol is the future closer.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X