The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasn’t even that old and was visually beautiful:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-new-ran...KNP61V18tp3v1o
    That really is hideous. I have to imagine the concourse areas are state of the art (at least they'd better be) but that is an absolute eye sore. Who in their right mind would look at this pitch from an architect and sign off on that?
    My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• I don't like the extra innings rule. They should've just let the games be ties, now this is gonna get some really weird stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
        I don't like the extra innings rule. They should've just let the games be ties, now this is gonna get some really weird stats.
        This season’s stats won’t do anything other than add to a player’s career stats. We could have multiple players bat over .400 but there will always be an asterisk by their name. Don’t assume the usual contenders will win MVP, Cy Young, batting title, HR title, RBI title, etc. MLB is always one of the toughest sports to wager but this season it’ll be virtually impossible. Long shots may actually hit though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
          That really is hideous. I have to imagine the concourse areas are state of the art (at least they'd better be) but that is an absolute eye sore. Who in their right mind would look at this pitch from an architect and sign off on that?
          The design firm and the architect probably took them to dinner and had them plastered before they showed them the design.

Given baseball is usually a marathon and not a sprint, the dynamics have certainly changed. A bad start could spell doom. Should be a pretty interesting season.

Comment

The drawings and designs don’t really look what it fake out looking like,... same shape I guess
            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasn’t even that old and was visually beautiful:

Looks like the salt silos along the Indiana Toll Road.

Comment

• Google the early renderings Of what the Rangers Stadium was supposed to look like,... lol!!

The shape is roughly the same but after that,... yikes!! If I were the owner of the team I’d be ready to sue every contractor that walked into my office today.
                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Great American Ballpark is the Reds’ stadium in Cincinnati. I think you meant Globe Life.

Comment

• Tip your cap. Kadir Nelson paintings:

Tip Your Cap to Celebrate the 100-Year Anniversary of Baseball’s Negro Leagues

Kansas City Monarchs

Four former presidents kick off celebration of Negro Leagues' 100th anniversary

Homestead Grays
                    Last edited by Legacy; 07-03-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by POTUS2017 View Post
                      Great American Ballpark is the Reds’ stadium in Cincinnati. I think you meant Globe Life.
                      Yes, thank you

Comment

• With the rest of MLB teams playing their opening games today and with two of the KC Royals starting pitchers out with positive COVID tests, a temporary substitute is rumored. At Texas Tech, he threw a fastball in the mid-90s

Comment

• I am trying to get past all the political bullshit in baseball because i love the game. But it might be hard. Get BLM off the mound and get the blm matter warm up shirts out of the game.
                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• As a former player it seems a little odd-hitters are behind the pitchers and umpires have been really sub par behind the plate-looks to me like they are feeling their way after such a long lay off. Almost exhibition like but hey its baseball..
                            Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• Umps have been brutal behind the plate in the first two Angel games,... Halos apparently signed Greg Maddox in Dylan Bundy btw,.. that’s what they are saying lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                With the rest of MLB teams playing their opening games today and with two of the KC Royals starting pitchers out with positive COVID tests, a temporary substitute is rumored. At Texas Tech, he threw a fastball in the mid-90s

His dad was a long-time MLB pitcher.

I believe Colin Kaepernick was an MLB prospect as a pitcher as well.

Comment

• Marlins and Phillies were shut down earlier this week. Now the Cardinals are shut down due to multiple positive tests.

If the Redbirds can't play, why even bother having a season? I expect the season to be cancelled within about a week.

Comment

• My Yankees are on a roll. Judge is on fire with homers in five straight games.

Comment

• Honest question, who has a worse staff than Boston? I’m watching #85 serve BP thinking that dude couldn’t get me out.

Oh my, as I type yam #1

Comment

• No laxative known to man works better than watching the Angels bullpen,....

Comment

• I just watched 9 innings of leaving runners on base. Our pitching sucks but someone needs to hit.

Comment

• We are lucky to even have baseball right but the dinosaurs are crying that Tatis hit a grand slam on a 3-0 count? The Rangers throw behind the next batter because they're sad?

Defund the Baseball Police and amend the unwritten rules into the garbage. So fucking stupid.

If these crusty assholes wonder why they can't broaden their audience, here's a great example why. Baseball's unwritten rules should just be called "Things that made white guys sad 100 years ago."
                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• I’ve seen a bunch of articles claiming ‘people are pissed about Tatis’,... I haven’t however seen many people actually mad about it. Feels like one of those ‘I’m seeing a lot of people talking about ‘x’” bs narratives.

It was cool tho. My wife and I were watching it live (Rangers are the local TV team) and I was telling her about Tatis and how I watched his dad hit two grand slams in one inning against the Dodgers years back and BOOM, grand slam

Comment

I’ve seen a bunch of articles claiming ‘people are pissed about Tatis’,... I haven’t however seen many people actually mad about it. Feels like one of those ‘I’m seeing a lot of people talking about ‘x’” bs narratives.

It was cool tho. My wife and I were watching it live (Rangers are the local TV team) and I was telling her about Tatis and how I watched his dad hit two grand slams in one inning against the Dodgers years back and BOOM, grand slam
                                                The manager of the Rangers spoke out about it after the game. The manager of the Padres did not defend his player publicly. The pitcher threw BEHIND the very next batter.

There need to be WRITTEN rules that this stuff is not okay, because there is clearly still an element present in the game that has an issue with it.

Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields was the last transaction Kenny Williams made before Rick Hahn took over the ship for the White Sox. Let's be perfectly clear: Shields was already in decline when that trade took place and anyone with a paperback copy of Moneyball in their zip code should have known it.
                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                  Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields was the last transaction Kenny Williams made before Rick Hahn took over the ship for the White Sox. Let's be perfectly clear: Shields was already in decline when that trade took place and anyone with a paperback copy of Moneyball in their zip code should have known it.
                                                  That was their last effort to be competitive and finally announced the rebuild.

Remember they started off something like 25-10 and Matt Latos imploded so as usual, Jerry tried to be competitive.

Sure would be nice to have him but Anderson came up at the same time of the trade. It's not like Jerry Dybzinski's holding down short.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                    That was their last effort to be competitive and finally announced the rebuild.

Remember they started off something like 25-10 and Matt Latos imploded so as usual, Jerry tried to be competitive.

Sure would be nice to have him but Anderson came up at the same time of the trade. It's not like Jerry Dybzinski's holding down short.
                                                    Everything you say here is accurate. I would argue that if they wanted to be competitive, maybe trade Tatis for someone better because Shields was hot garbage when they got him. They didn't know that, though, but they should have. San Diego couldn't wait to get him out the door and even picked up some of the money as I recall.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/james-sh...p-for-a-while/

Still, bad. The way this team is being run at present, they don't do that move and they figure out a way to have both guys. Anderson was a draft pick, Tatis was an International Free Agent. Inferring based on what I know of Mr. Williams, he saw more value in one guy than the other because he was a draft pick.

Didn't like the move then, don't like it now. Even with a six year age difference, if these two guys stay healthy, I'll put my money on Tatis having the better career when all is said and done. Playing in a pitcher's park 81 times a year versus Anderson playing in a hitter's park. Also a bad reason to get Shields.
                                                    Last edited by Rogue219; 08-18-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

We are lucky to even have baseball right but the dinosaurs are crying that Tatis hit a grand slam on a 3-0 count? The Rangers throw behind the next batter because they're sad?

Defund the Baseball Police and amend the unwritten rules into the garbage. So fucking stupid.

If these crusty assholes wonder why they can't broaden their audience, here's a great example why. Baseball's unwritten rules should just be called "Things that made white guys sad 100 years ago."

In this day and age teams can put up 4 or 5 runs like it is nothing. So if you get the chance to add more you do. Don't throw a meatball if you don't want it hit.
                                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• As someone pointed out on Twitter, Tatis has apologized more for breaking this "unwritten rule" than what the Astros have done for cheating to a World Series Ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                          In this day and age teams can put up 4 or 5 runs like it is nothing. So if you get the chance to add more you do. Don't throw a meatball if you don't want it hit.
                                                          Precisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                            As someone pointed out on Twitter, Tatis has apologized more for breaking this "unwritten rule" than what the Astros have done for cheating to a World Series Ring.
                                                            Which is dog crap. He has nothing to be sorry about.

Honestly, this is the most I have seen Twitter united, probably ever. The Rangers seem to be the ones with the big problem.

If you don't want your feeling hurt, pitch better. As opposed to worrying about unwritten rules that were collaborated on a century ago when wonderful humans like Ty Cobb roamed the baseball diamonds of America.

Comment

• https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dont-apo...r-embrace-him/

Great piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                Here's the crazy part: It wasn't a meatball! It was low and away; a strike for sure, but not one you are usually sitting on to crush. He just went down and got it, and it was a grand slam. Fantastic hitting to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                  Here's the crazy part: It wasn't a meatball! It was low and away; a strike for sure, but not one you are usually sitting on to crush. He just went down and got it, and it was a grand slam. Fantastic hitting to be honest.
                                                                  Agreed. It wasn’t a “get me over” fastball. I think the majority of fans & ex-players are supportive of Tatis. How many times does a player get the green light on 3-0 and pops it up or grounds out? That was a nice opposite field HR. Kid is a 5-tool phenom.

I like what Rizzo said, (paraphrasing) “If I agree not to swing on 3-0, will the pitcher agree to throw a fastball on 3-1?”

Or what about if he remains more passive at the plate & then when it’s time for arbitration ownership counters, “Well Fernando, had you hit more HRs, we could justify your salary demands...”

Comment

• Angels always in these great trade rumors but never make it happen. Even when we do like the Dodger trade this off season Arte goes full dip shit and kills it off.

But, my hopes are up for a trade with Cleveland,... again,... and I’ll prob be disappointed,... again,...

Comment

Angels always in these great trade rumors but never make it happen. Even when we do like the Dodger trade this off season Arte goes full dip shit and kills it off.

But, my hopes are up for a trade with Cleveland,... again,... and I’ll prob be disappointed,... again,...
                                                                      It's a shame we haven't seen Trout and LAA in the postseason since '14. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a ring.

The Tigers roped me in just enough to start the season at 9-6, only to drop 7 straight the past week and a half. If Casey Mize didn't get called up to make his debut tn, I wouldn't even be tuning in. Finally saw some decent clubs in CHW and CLE and they aren't even close to looking competitive in the Central.

Comment

It's a shame we haven't seen Trout and LAA in the postseason since '14. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a ring.

The Tigers roped me in just enough to start the season at 9-6, only to drop 7 straight the past week and a half. If Casey Mize didn't get called up to make his debut tn, I wouldn't even be tuning in. Finally saw some decent clubs in CHW and CLE and they aren't even close to looking competitive in the Central.
                                                                        With CLE's starting pitching, and if the bats wake up, CLE will be lethal.
                                                                        Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                                                                          I'm with you. That is a solid rotation and the bats came alive against DET, but so has everyone else's lately. The starting pitching is BAD. Fulmer and Boyd look like shells of their old selves.

But, that series should at least have been a confidence booster for CLE and it looks like it has been sustained so far in your series against PIT.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                                                                            I’ll still take FL and Clev off your hands,.... please??

Comment

I’ll still take FL and Clev off your hands,.... please??
                                                                              Lindor, no.
                                                                              Clev, OK.

No Plesac? Plesac is going to be a good one if he ever decides to get out of his own way.

Comment

I'm with you. That is a solid rotation and the bats came alive against DET, but so has everyone else's lately. The starting pitching is BAD. Fulmer and Boyd look like shells of their old selves.

But, that series should at least have been a confidence booster for CLE and it looks like it has been sustained so far in your series against PIT.
                                                                                Agree with all.

I think if we can get the two Santanas going, it will all fall into place. He seems to be the dominant in the clubhouse and I think once everyone sees him making solid contact as he has in the past two or three games, others will follow. Last night against the Pirates, the team was having fun and dancing and singing and they looked like the team we wanted to see. Hope that continues and translates.

On a side note, Oliver Perez is my hero.

Comment

• San Diego hit grand slams in four consecutive games against the Rangers.

I proclaim my unwritten love for this. So happy.

Comment

San Diego hit grand slams in four consecutive games against the Rangers.

I proclaim my unwritten love for this. So happy.
                                                                                    Do you, by chance; live in Chicago?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                      Do you, by chance; live in Chicago?
                                                                                      No way. I hear it's like Syria.

Comment

• I would freakin love to see SD get good for a long period of time,... hopefully this is the beginning of that

Comment

No way. I hear it's like Syria.
                                                                                          I don’t know about Syria, I was just there a few summers ago & it was great. Actually, it was an honest question (nothing to do w/ Trump).

Comment

I don’t know about Syria, I was just there a few summers ago & it was great. Actually, it was an honest question (nothing to do w/ Trump).
                                                                                            I have not been there in a few years. Honest question, honest answer.

Their American League baseball team went on a HR hitting barrage up until yesterday. I like their team a lot. A bunch of dudes that unbotton their jerseys and wear gold chains, mostly guys from Cuba.

Comment

I have not been there in a few years. Honest question, honest answer.

Their American League baseball team went on a HR hitting barrage up until yesterday. I like their team a lot. A bunch of dudes that unbotton their jerseys and wear gold chains, mostly guys from Cuba.
                                                                                              Yes. They’ve always been my favorite AL team. If they can get a consistent pitching staff, they’ll be hard to beat. With a shortened season, they still have a great chance (as most any team does) but they’ll need healthy pitching to get through a 162 game season next year. Giolito looks solid but Kopech may never be healthy.

Comment

I would freakin love to see SD get good for a long period of time,... hopefully this is the beginning of that
                                                                                                Tatis is a wizard

Comment

Yes. They’ve always been my favorite AL team. If they can get a consistent pitching staff, they’ll be hard to beat. With a shortened season, they still have a great chance (as most any team does) but they’ll need healthy pitching to get through a 162 game season next year. Giolito looks solid but Kopech may never be healthy.
                                                                                                  Starting pitching and not getting anything done with RISP have hurt them this season. They went on a bit of a power surge last week and now face the Pirates who just swept the Brewers. Should be interesting.

I think their manager is an idiot and if given the chance he'll outsmart himself when it matters and cost them any game that could be meaningful.

Moncada had a rough day yesterday.

Comment

• AJ Preller probably had to keep his phone plugged in yesterday. Padres are going for the whole enchilada.

Comment

• Tonight was Bert Blyleven's last night doing Minnesota Twins games. Been doing it for 25 years. I dont care how much money he wanted to keep doing it, Twins should have paid up. If I find out they pushed him out I'm gonna flip a car or chain myself to the gate at Target Field. Man, this feels like losing Pat Sajac or something. I'm not happy.

Stay Golden, Bert.
                                                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X