No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep meaning to go to a UTEP game or NMS game (anything really) but it hasn't happened yet... been to a number of Sun Bowls over the years though.
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
      UTEP dropped baseball a couple decades ago... I don't know how well you really know EP but,... I'm literally in the first section of El Paso right when you enter it via the 10 coming from Las Cruces... So, I-10 NW?? We go to Mesilla quite a bit.
      Well cancel the UTEP baseball game, I guess ya missed your chance.

Are you in El Paso proper or up the 10 by the outlet mall or the pass that goes over to 54?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
        Well cancel the UTEP baseball game, I guess ya missed your chance.

Are you in El Paso proper or up the 10 by the outlet mall or the pass that goes over to 54?
        Yes and Yes actually... Just on the EP side very close to the outlet.
        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
          Blah blah blah.

Let's forget about all the meaningless business of baseball and all rejoice becuase:

The 2021 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox's pitchers and catchers reported today!

Got a huge week of college baseball out here this week too.

Friday going to see Cal Poly / UConn followed by the #1 Vandy / #8 Michigan rematch.

Saturday it's #3 ASU / Nova followed by #3 ASU / #8 Michigan.

Over the next week BC, #16 OK State & Offensive juggernaut NM State come to town.

Thank goodness baseball is back!

Sweet! Itís that time of year again thankfully. Iím heading up to Fort Wayne in a couple weeks to give a speech to my former club. Not sure what to say except to get your shit together and play for those who paved the way. Seeing those banners again though Iím excited about. Has anyone else tried hitting 90+ during a Fort Wayne Feb? Itís not easy.

Comment

• EP I do quite a bit of business in...literally on the Juarez border.

They have a nice minor league stadium. And who are these best hitters from NM State Crusader refers too?

Comment

• EP I do quite a bit of business in...literally on the Juarez border.

They have a nice minor league stadium. And who are these best hitters from NM State Crusader refers too?

Comment

• Southwest Park is Awsome

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                  How can you say there is no tanking? That's the exact philosophy that the Cubs and Astros employed on their way to WS titles. They bottomed out, dealt all of their veterans for prospects, and loaded their farm system up for a specific competitive window. I don't understand how you can believe this.

And prospects earning their way up? Their service time is manipulated by teams who have tanked and hold their best prospects until their competitive window is open. Kris Bryant just filed a grievance over this exact problem.
                  The service time issue needs to be addressed. Surely most agree with that.

Expanding the playoffs will only increase ďtankingĒ & dilute the overall sport. This isnít the NFL where .500 teams make the playoffs yet fans still watch all 16 regular season games. It ainít apples-to-apples by a long shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                    EP I do quite a bit of business in...literally on the Juarez border.

Nick Gonzales = .432 / 16 HR = led DI in batting last season / Projected Top 5 pick
                    &
                    Tristan Peterson - .400 / 20 HR

I thought Joey Ortiz who hit .422 (#3 in DI) was a Soph last year but he was a Jr and went to Baltimore in the 4th.

Comment

• KTLA in Los Angels covered the Astros' presser today:

Comment

KTLA in Los Angels covered the Astros' presser today:

Lol they deserve all of this and some

Comment

• Me: "Maybe my Halos will be okay, so long as the pitching staff doesn't turn into an infirmary for the fifth straight season,... maybe it'll be okay..."

Angels: "Okay guys, let's toss the ball around for the first time all year, nothing serious, just a light game of catch..."

Angels Pitching: "You want us to throw the ball?!?!?"

Comment

• This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Man, Rob Manfred is a real dick.
                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Altuve wore one yesterday in his spring training debut, although it doesn't appear to be intentional. What's the over/under on his HBPs this season...30 or so?

Comment

Altuve wore one yesterday in his spring training debut, although it doesn't appear to be intentional. What's the over/under on his HBPs this season...30 or so?
                                  I'd put Correa, Springer, and Bregman at over 50 a piece. 30 seems reasonable for Altuve.

All I keep thinking is what will it be like if any of these guys make the All Star team this year. How will they be received throughout the festivities by fans? By the media? Most intruiging by the players on the AL roster?
                                  Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

Altuve wore one yesterday in his spring training debut, although it doesn't appear to be intentional. What's the over/under on his HBPs this season...30 or so?
                                    a curve off the side of the foot =/= wearing one

some sports book put the odds for the team at like 83 on the season.
                                    Prehistoric

Comment

• Not sure who I want to see hit with a fastball more,... the Astros core or Arte Moreno for nixing that Ross Stripling trade.

Comment

• Canning getting an MRI and Maddon just admittedly he's concerned...

un-fuckin-real. There are other teams who go all year with maybe one key starter getting hurt all year. The Angels have ben the exact opposite for like five years running now. If they have ONE... ONE starter make it all the way through the season it's been a miracle.

wtf is going on?!

Comment

Canning getting an MRI and Maddon just admittedly he's concerned...

un-fuckin-real. There are other teams who go all year with maybe one key starter getting hurt all year. The Angels have ben the exact opposite for like five years running now. If they have ONE... ONE starter make it all the way through the season it's been a miracle.

wtf is going on?!
                                          I’m far from a Yanks apologist, but they’ve had issues with starting rotation these past few years. Dellin Betances missed most of last year. Tanaka was injured. Severino is done for this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                            I’m far from a Yanks apologist, but they’ve had issues with starting rotation these past few years. Dellin Betances missed most of last year. Tanaka was injured. Severino is done for this year.
                                            Yeah they've had injury issues in general. I'm not saying the Angels are the only ones but that they're abnormal... especially considering this is an ongoing thing for like five years running now... and that it's fairly exclusive to the starting rotation.

Comment

Yeah they've had injury issues in general. I'm not saying the Angels are the only ones but that they're abnormal... especially considering this is an ongoing thing for like five years running now... and that it's fairly exclusive to the starting rotation.
                                              No doubt. I understamd the frustration. Tommy John should have gotten the UCL reconstruction patented in his name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                No doubt. I understamd the frustration. Tommy John should have gotten the UCL reconstruction patented in his name.
                                                It's super defeating,.. all you hear is "The Angels are wasting Trout, they have no pitching" etc etc etc... Dude over the last four-five years, JUST Tommy John's off the top of my head and this is not even considering other injuries...

John Lamb
                                                Garrett Richards
                                                Keynan Middleton
                                                JC Ramirez
                                                Nick Torpeano
                                                Blake Wood
                                                Andrew Heaney
                                                Tyler Skaggs
                                                Shohei Ohtani
                                                Jose Soriano

and now probably Griffen Canning and again that's just off memory.

Keep all those pitchers healthy and I'm positive the Angels have a pretty good rotation today... hard to build a staff when your young core constantly goes down year after year.

Comment

• All these Astros getting plunked makes my heart happy
                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                    All these Astros getting plunked makes my heart happy
                                                    It's kind of funny. I think deliberately throwing at batters is about as knuckle dragging stupid as anything other than hockey fighting, but in this instance, they're doing it to avenge the most advanced example of cheating using technology we've seen to date.

The balance takes care of itself.

It won't sustain itself over the regular season. It's going to be a mess.
                                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                      It's kind of funny. I think deliberately throwing at batters is about as knuckle dragging stupid as anything other than hockey fighting,....
                                                      You sound more and more fun with just about every post...

Comment

You sound more and more fun with just about every post...
                                                        You sound like my uncles.

Comment

• So this Christian Yelich deal throws up two red flags for me:

1. Kris Bryant's next contract is going to look like, what, exactly knowing what Yelich is getting?

2. There is zero excuse for the Pirates, or any other small market team, not to sign a star player should they get one. The Brewers have broken that mold here.

Comment

• Paging Acamp

Just pulled up Yahoo and this was the top story - “Angels fire staffer for aiding opposing pitchers”

Everyone knows pitchers have a history of doctoring the ball...ask Eddie Harris. But never heard of giving the Vaseline to the other team. And the Angels still can’t pitch...lol. The guy worked for the organization for over 30 years.
                                                            Last edited by Irish2155; 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Paging Acamp

Just pulled up Yahoo and this was the top story - ďAngels fire staffer for aiding opposing pitchersĒ

Everyone knows pitchers have a history of doctoring the ball...ask Eddie Harris. But never heard of giving the Vaseline to the other team. And the Angels still canít pitch...lol. The guy worked for the organization for over 30 years.
                                                              Saw that,... figures...

Comment

• Vin Scullys final opening day replay is starting right now on mlb network guys.... can’t get much better than that given the circumstance.

Comment

• TIFWIW but my best friend who knows the CEO of a major partner of the MLB heard that the season is likely to be cancelled entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                                                    TIFWIW but my best friend who knows the CEO of a major partner of the MLB heard that the season is likely to be cancelled entirely.
                                                                    My buddy works for one of the largest resorts in Scottsdale that hosts sports teams for Fiesta Bowl, Super Bowls, Spring Training and MLB reps were there on Monday going over logistics of having teams play real games in AZ. So they are still trying.

Comment

• Yeah I’m hearing they are moving forward with Arizona only games by May

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tamines-system

And this is why people question the send offs these high profile people get when they die. Not only was her potentially putting himself in danger but other and their properties. No body had that facts and no that they are there he was being reckless.

I NEVER want to see anyone die in any means or Manor.
                                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Lots of smoke about a July 4th opening day,... let’s hope

Comment

Lots of smoke about a July 4th opening day,... letís hope
                                                                            July 4 opening day at the Field of Dreams would be perfect...

Comment

• Are we going to see baseball this summer? These two sides bickering about money during all this is not a good look. If they don't end up playing in 2020 the damage done may put a nail in the MLB coffin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Joe View Post
                                                                                If they don't end up playing in 2020 the damage done may put a nail in the MLB coffin.
                                                                                Haha. If MLB is even in the same room as a coffin, or even in the same building...then it is news to me.

NFL is at more risk than MLB.

Comment

• Yesterday's picks and will be updated for further picks.

2020 MLB draft tracker: Analysis and highlights of every first-round pick

Comment

• Halo fans are discussing how 2020 is in fact the end times as the Angels apparently took a pitcher in the first round finally,....

Comment

• If you are a baseball fan, this series has some great stories and insights into the Negro Baseball League, which started because AAs were banned from the Major Leagues. 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the Negro National League beginning play. Their Museum is in KC and a great visit, if you are ever there. Ken Burns did a good series, too.

History of the Negro Leagues in KC, Part One
                                                                                      Our first World Champions.

- starts off with the Monarchs and also the history of the Negro BB League beginnings
                                                                                      - the 1920s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Two
                                                                                      The depression years

- the 1930s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part 3
                                                                                      The golden years.

- early 40s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Four
                                                                                      The end of the golden era

- 1946-49

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Five
                                                                                      The famous final scene

- the 50s-60s

Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson and Buck O'Neill played for the KC Monarchs, who sent more players to the MLB than any other team.

Earlier, Bullet Rogan was the league's first star. Casey Stengel called Rogan “one of the best, if not the best, pitcher that ever lived.” He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998. Rogan also hit. His batting average was the fourth-highest in Negro League history. Said Buck O’Neil, “If you saw Ernie Banks in his prime, then you saw Rogan.”

In the 1937 exhibition against major league competition, Hilton Smith, who had developed into the League's finset pitcher, pitched 18 scoreless innings. After the series, Bob Feller said that Smith was a better pitcher than Satchel Paige. He really hit his peak in 1939, with a 25-2 record against all competition.

The 35 Negro League legends in the Hall of Fame
                                                                                      Last edited by Legacy; 06-14-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fans, you’re getting 48 games of a season you probably could care less about at this point &amp; I can’t blame you. The hopes of a season do NOT rest on the shoulders of the players &amp; for that reason, I have no hope to offer. Just an apology. I’m sorry &amp; I understand if you move on.</p>&mdash; Dallas Braden (@DALLASBRADEN209) <a href="https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/1272011047293968386?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• so are we gonna get a 60 game season or nah? 4 hours til response deadline.
                                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                            so are we gonna get a 60 game season or nah? 4 hours til response deadline.
                                                                                            If history between the owners & MLBPA is any indicator, I would say emphatically....ĒNopeĒ

Comment

• Can't wait for my Tigers to win less than 15 games. I'll say 14-46
                                                                                              My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• I’m shocked they came to some agreement.

Comment

• What about you Tanner, you want to quit?

Crud no, I wanna play ball.

Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                                                                                                    What about you Tanner, you want to quit?

Crud no, I wanna play ball.

I like that 1977 Topps style card

Comment

• The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasn’t even that old and was visually beautiful:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-new-ran...KNP61V18tp3v1o

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X