X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
    That was their last effort to be competitive and finally announced the rebuild.

Remember they started off something like 25-10 and Matt Latos imploded so as usual, Jerry tried to be competitive.

Sure would be nice to have him but Anderson came up at the same time of the trade. It's not like Jerry Dybzinski's holding down short.
    Everything you say here is accurate. I would argue that if they wanted to be competitive, maybe trade Tatis for someone better because Shields was hot garbage when they got him. They didn't know that, though, but they should have. San Diego couldn't wait to get him out the door and even picked up some of the money as I recall.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/james-sh...p-for-a-while/

Still, bad. The way this team is being run at present, they don't do that move and they figure out a way to have both guys. Anderson was a draft pick, Tatis was an International Free Agent. Inferring based on what I know of Mr. Williams, he saw more value in one guy than the other because he was a draft pick.

Didn't like the move then, don't like it now. Even with a six year age difference, if these two guys stay healthy, I'll put my money on Tatis having the better career when all is said and done. Playing in a pitcher's park 81 times a year versus Anderson playing in a hitter's park. Also a bad reason to get Shields.
    Last edited by Rogue219; 08-18-2020, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields was the last transaction Kenny Williams made before Rick Hahn took over the ship for the White Sox. Let's be perfectly clear: Shields was already in decline when that trade took place and anyone with a paperback copy of Moneyball in their zip code should have known it.
    That was their last effort to be competitive and finally announced the rebuild.

Remember they started off something like 25-10 and Matt Latos imploded so as usual, Jerry tried to be competitive.

Sure would be nice to have him but Anderson came up at the same time of the trade. It's not like Jerry Dybzinski's holding down short.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Iíve seen a bunch of articles claiming Ďpeople are pissed about Tatisí,... I havenít however seen many people actually mad about it. Feels like one of those ĎIím seeing a lot of people talking about ĎxíĒ bs narratives.

It was cool tho. My wife and I were watching it live (Rangers are the local TV team) and I was telling her about Tatis and how I watched his dad hit two grand slams in one inning against the Dodgers years back and BOOM, grand slam
    The manager of the Rangers spoke out about it after the game. The manager of the Padres did not defend his player publicly. The pitcher threw BEHIND the very next batter.

There need to be WRITTEN rules that this stuff is not okay, because there is clearly still an element present in the game that has an issue with it.

Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields was the last transaction Kenny Williams made before Rick Hahn took over the ship for the White Sox. Let's be perfectly clear: Shields was already in decline when that trade took place and anyone with a paperback copy of Moneyball in their zip code should have known it.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I’ve seen a bunch of articles claiming ‘people are pissed about Tatis’,... I haven’t however seen many people actually mad about it. Feels like one of those ‘I’m seeing a lot of people talking about ‘x’” bs narratives.

It was cool tho. My wife and I were watching it live (Rangers are the local TV team) and I was telling her about Tatis and how I watched his dad hit two grand slams in one inning against the Dodgers years back and BOOM, grand slam

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    We are lucky to even have baseball right but the dinosaurs are crying that Tatis hit a grand slam on a 3-0 count? The Rangers throw behind the next batter because they're sad?

Defund the Baseball Police and amend the unwritten rules into the garbage. So fucking stupid.

If these crusty assholes wonder why they can't broaden their audience, here's a great example why. Baseball's unwritten rules should just be called "Things that made white guys sad 100 years ago."

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    I just watched 9 innings of leaving runners on base. Our pitching sucks but someone needs to hit.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    No laxative known to man works better than watching the Angels bullpen,....

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Honest question, who has a worse staff than Boston? I’m watching #85 serve BP thinking that dude couldn’t get me out.

Oh my, as I type yam #1

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    My Yankees are on a roll. Judge is on fire with homers in five straight games.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Marlins and Phillies were shut down earlier this week. Now the Cardinals are shut down due to multiple positive tests.

If the Redbirds can't play, why even bother having a season? I expect the season to be cancelled within about a week.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Legacy View Post
    With the rest of MLB teams playing their opening games today and with two of the KC Royals starting pitchers out with positive COVID tests, a temporary substitute is rumored. At Texas Tech, he threw a fastball in the mid-90s

His dad was a long-time MLB pitcher.

I believe Colin Kaepernick was an MLB prospect as a pitcher as well.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Umps have been brutal behind the plate in the first two Angel games,... Halos apparently signed Greg Maddox in Dylan Bundy btw,.. that’s what they are saying lol

Leave a comment:

• irishtrain
    replied
    As a former player it seems a little odd-hitters are behind the pitchers and umpires have been really sub par behind the plate-looks to me like they are feeling their way after such a long lay off. Almost exhibition like but hey its baseball..

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    I am trying to get past all the political bullshit in baseball because i love the game. But it might be hard. Get BLM off the mound and get the blm matter warm up shirts out of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    With the rest of MLB teams playing their opening games today and with two of the KC Royals starting pitchers out with positive COVID tests, a temporary substitute is rumored. At Texas Tech, he threw a fastball in the mid-90s

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by POTUS2017 View Post
    Great American Ballpark is the Redsí stadium in Cincinnati. I think you meant Globe Life.
    Yes, thank you

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    Tip your cap. Kadir Nelson paintings:

Tip Your Cap to Celebrate the 100-Year Anniversary of Baseball’s Negro Leagues

Kansas City Monarchs

Four former presidents kick off celebration of Negro Leagues' 100th anniversary

Homestead Grays
    Last edited by Legacy; 07-03-2020, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• POTUS2017
    replied
    The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasnít even that old and was visually beautiful:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-new-ran...KNP61V18tp3v1o
    Great American Ballpark is the Redsí stadium in Cincinnati. I think you meant Globe Life.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Google the early renderings Of what the Rangers Stadium was supposed to look like,... lol!!

The shape is roughly the same but after that,... yikes!! If I were the owner of the team I’d be ready to sue every contractor that walked into my office today.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasnít even that old and was visually beautiful:

Looks like the salt silos along the Indiana Toll Road.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
    That really is hideous. I have to imagine the concourse areas are state of the art (at least they'd better be) but that is an absolute eye sore. Who in their right mind would look at this pitch from an architect and sign off on that?
    The drawings and designs donít really look what it fake out looking like,... same shape I guess

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
    That really is hideous. I have to imagine the concourse areas are state of the art (at least they'd better be) but that is an absolute eye sore. Who in their right mind would look at this pitch from an architect and sign off on that?
    The design firm and the architect probably took them to dinner and had them plastered before they showed them the design.

Given baseball is usually a marathon and not a sprint, the dynamics have certainly changed. A bad start could spell doom. Should be a pretty interesting season.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    I don't like the extra innings rule. They should've just let the games be ties, now this is gonna get some really weird stats.
    This seasonís stats wonít do anything other than add to a playerís career stats. We could have multiple players bat over .400 but there will always be an asterisk by their name. Donít assume the usual contenders will win MVP, Cy Young, batting title, HR title, RBI title, etc. MLB is always one of the toughest sports to wager but this season itíll be virtually impossible. Long shots may actually hit though.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    I don't like the extra innings rule. They should've just let the games be ties, now this is gonna get some really weird stats.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    The tragedy here is Great American Ballpark wasn’t even that old and was visually beautiful:

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
    What about you Tanner, you want to quit?

Crud no, I wanna play ball.

I like that 1977 Topps style card

Leave a comment:

• irishnd31
    replied
    What about you Tanner, you want to quit?

Crud no, I wanna play ball.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I’m shocked they came to some agreement.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Can't wait for my Tigers to win less than 15 games. I'll say 14-46

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
    so are we gonna get a 60 game season or nah? 4 hours til response deadline.
    If history between the owners & MLBPA is any indicator, I would say emphatically....ĒNopeĒ

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    so are we gonna get a 60 game season or nah? 4 hours til response deadline.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fans, you’re getting 48 games of a season you probably could care less about at this point &amp; I can’t blame you. The hopes of a season do NOT rest on the shoulders of the players &amp; for that reason, I have no hope to offer. Just an apology. I’m sorry &amp; I understand if you move on.</p>&mdash; Dallas Braden (@DALLASBRADEN209) <a href="https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/1272011047293968386?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    If you are a baseball fan, this series has some great stories and insights into the Negro Baseball League, which started because AAs were banned from the Major Leagues. 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the Negro National League beginning play. Their Museum is in KC and a great visit, if you are ever there. Ken Burns did a good series, too.

History of the Negro Leagues in KC, Part One
    Our first World Champions.

- starts off with the Monarchs and also the history of the Negro BB League beginnings
    - the 1920s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Two
    The depression years

- the 1930s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part 3
    The golden years.

- early 40s

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Four
    The end of the golden era

- 1946-49

History of the Negro Leagues, Part Five
    The famous final scene

- the 50s-60s

Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson and Buck O'Neill played for the KC Monarchs, who sent more players to the MLB than any other team.

Earlier, Bullet Rogan was the league's first star. Casey Stengel called Rogan “one of the best, if not the best, pitcher that ever lived.” He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998. Rogan also hit. His batting average was the fourth-highest in Negro League history. Said Buck O’Neil, “If you saw Ernie Banks in his prime, then you saw Rogan.”

In the 1937 exhibition against major league competition, Hilton Smith, who had developed into the League's finset pitcher, pitched 18 scoreless innings. After the series, Bob Feller said that Smith was a better pitcher than Satchel Paige. He really hit his peak in 1939, with a 25-2 record against all competition.

The 35 Negro League legends in the Hall of Fame
    Last edited by Legacy; 06-14-2020, 12:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Halo fans are discussing how 2020 is in fact the end times as the Angels apparently took a pitcher in the first round finally,....

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    Yesterday's picks and will be updated for further picks.

2020 MLB draft tracker: Analysis and highlights of every first-round pick

Leave a comment:

• T-Boone
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish Joe View Post
    If they don't end up playing in 2020 the damage done may put a nail in the MLB coffin.
    Haha. If MLB is even in the same room as a coffin, or even in the same building...then it is news to me.

NFL is at more risk than MLB.

Leave a comment:

• Irish Joe
    replied
    Are we going to see baseball this summer? These two sides bickering about money during all this is not a good look. If they don't end up playing in 2020 the damage done may put a nail in the MLB coffin.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Lots of smoke about a July 4th opening day,... letís hope
    July 4 opening day at the Field of Dreams would be perfect...

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Lots of smoke about a July 4th opening day,... let’s hope

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tamines-system

And this is why people question the send offs these high profile people get when they die. Not only was her potentially putting himself in danger but other and their properties. No body had that facts and no that they are there he was being reckless.

I NEVER want to see anyone die in any means or Manor.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Yeah I’m hearing they are moving forward with Arizona only games by May

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
    TIFWIW but my best friend who knows the CEO of a major partner of the MLB heard that the season is likely to be cancelled entirely.
    My buddy works for one of the largest resorts in Scottsdale that hosts sports teams for Fiesta Bowl, Super Bowls, Spring Training and MLB reps were there on Monday going over logistics of having teams play real games in AZ. So they are still trying.

Leave a comment:

• gkIrish
    replied
    TIFWIW but my best friend who knows the CEO of a major partner of the MLB heard that the season is likely to be cancelled entirely.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Vin Scullys final opening day replay is starting right now on mlb network guys.... can’t get much better than that given the circumstance.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    Paging Acamp

Just pulled up Yahoo and this was the top story - ďAngels fire staffer for aiding opposing pitchersĒ

Everyone knows pitchers have a history of doctoring the ball...ask Eddie Harris. But never heard of giving the Vaseline to the other team. And the Angels still canít pitch...lol. The guy worked for the organization for over 30 years.
    Saw that,... figures...

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Paging Acamp

Just pulled up Yahoo and this was the top story - “Angels fire staffer for aiding opposing pitchers”

Everyone knows pitchers have a history of doctoring the ball...ask Eddie Harris. But never heard of giving the Vaseline to the other team. And the Angels still can’t pitch...lol. The guy worked for the organization for over 30 years.
    Last edited by Irish2155; 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    So this Christian Yelich deal throws up two red flags for me:

1. Kris Bryant's next contract is going to look like, what, exactly knowing what Yelich is getting?

2. There is zero excuse for the Pirates, or any other small market team, not to sign a star player should they get one. The Brewers have broken that mold here.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    You sound more and more fun with just about every post...
    You sound like my uncles.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    It's kind of funny. I think deliberately throwing at batters is about as knuckle dragging stupid as anything other than hockey fighting,....
    You sound more and more fun with just about every post...

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X