X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

"Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

"The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

"In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.
    Someone's always getting their panties in a bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

"Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

"The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

"In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The New York Mets have hired Carlos Beltran to be their manager.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, ‘07, ‘13 and ‘18. I’m running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hear—>

That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. He’s still the only man I’ve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.
    Bonds wasn’t walked w bases loaded against the Halos tho,... but he did hit a crazy home run in that series.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post

2011 just recently.

but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

take your pick between those three imo.

This one was good but not really great.
    I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, ‘07, ‘13 and ‘18. I’m running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hear—>

That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. He’s still the only man I’ve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    1960 is the largest margin by which a winning team was out scored in the series,... pretty sure

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
    Frank Howard is probably a happy man today.

Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.
    1960 was a crazy series. Pirates beat my Yankees 4-3. The three games the Yankees won, they hammered the Pirates. The four the Pirates won were close games.
    Last edited by Irish#1; 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Best Series I’ve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too

2011 just recently.

but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

take your pick between those three imo.

This one was good but not really great.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Best Series I’ve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    What can I say, I'm "real" old school.

Unbelievable comeback. With the Colt 45's (for you ACamp) pitching I didn't think they would drop two at home. IIRC, this is the first time the visiting team has won every game in the series. Crazy.
    First time in any american sport this has happened...

What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

Congrats man, a team you are truly invested in winning a title is the best thing ever outside of huge life moments like children being born or getting married, stuff like that.

Leave a comment:

• gkIrish
    replied

Congrats. I made some $$$ betting on the Nationals before the series started so I was happy, too.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    They don't, the 'Senators' were knocked out in early October.
    What can I say, I'm "real" old school.

Unbelievable comeback. With the Colt 45's (for you ACamp) pitching I didn't think they would drop two at home. IIRC, this is the first time the visiting team has won every game in the series. Crazy.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Happy for Kendrick. He was a huge part of those great Halo teams some years backs.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Win or lose tonight, Soto punking Bregman after his nonsense in the first inning was a top all time baseball moment for me and no one can take that way. I hope they finish it off... I think it depends on whether Max has his stuff or not.
    The only thing that would have been better was the Pedro you have no marbles from the movie major league.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    Baseball Twitter had some bat carrying outrage last night. It was glorious.

That game was as chaotic and fun as anything I've seen in a long time for playoff baseball.

Sadly, only one game left and then winter.
    Win or lose tonight, Soto punking Bregman after his nonsense in the first inning was a top all time baseball moment for me and no one can take that way. I hope they finish it off... I think it depends on whether Max has his stuff or not.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Honestly didn't think the Senators had it in them.
    They don't, the 'Senators' were knocked out in early October.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Honestly didn't think the Senators had it in them.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Baseball Twitter had some bat carrying outrage last night. It was glorious.

That game was as chaotic and fun as anything I've seen in a long time for playoff baseball.

Sadly, only one game left and then winter.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Wait, he started with them before he was of legal working age??
    He wrote an article for them, yes.

Here's his author page: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/author/chaim_bloom/

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    He started out at Baseball Prospectus in 1997. He went to Yale. He's 36. He's what teams should be looking for.
    Wait, he started with them before he was of legal working age??

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    What does anyone know about this Chaim Bloom fella? Did the RedSox make a good hire? Looks like he has a pretty decent track record and is well respected within the baseball world.
    He started out at Baseball Prospectus in 1997. He went to Yale. He's 36. He's what teams should be looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    What does anyone know about this Chaim Bloom fella? Did the RedSox make a good hire? Looks like he has a pretty decent track record and is well respected within the baseball world.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Not surprisingly, Houston has fired their Asst GM
    I bet he’s not so “f——ing glad” now. Wonder what took so long, especially considering the team publicly defended his idiotic outburst.

I’m thinking he’d still be employed if the ‘Stros weren’t down 0-2. Which is down right pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Wetteland was clutch. Last I heard he was accused of being a pedophile which is alarming to say the least.

Boggs was always a favorite of mine just as a player. Hated the Yankees growing up but always liked Mattingly, too. Felt bad for him that he retired in 95 and the Yanks start collecting WS rings the very next season. Would’ve probably been a HoFer had he not had all the back issues.
    One would think 100+ beers in one day should earn some sort of HofF consideration. That’s the kind of story legends are made of....right up there with when Benny the Jet pickled the beast.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Not surprisingly, Houston has fired their Asst GM

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    I think it was their closer.. Wetteland. The legend took over after he signed with Texas if memory serves.

I loved the Boggs thing, my hatred for boston is long standing and even then I was like, "I love this.. screw the sox".
    Wetteland was clutch. Last I heard he was accused of being a pedophile which is alarming to say the least.

Boggs was always a favorite of mine just as a player. Hated the Yankees growing up but always liked Mattingly, too. Felt bad for him that he retired in 95 and the Yanks start collecting WS rings the very next season. Would’ve probably been a HoFer had he not had all the back issues.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    How did you know he's stupid?
    Postseason hero. There isn't a worst kind of guy. He's "clutch" for two weeks when all the casual baseball fans are watching.

90 career HR in the regular season. He hit 8 HR in 28 postseason games. Therefore he's a hero.

I've had two people tell me today Justin Verlander is 0-6 in the World Series, one of them being my Baby Boomer 70 year old father who knows these sample size discussions trigger me and I don't give a fuck about pitcher win loss records nor have I for twenty years.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    If Rendon and Turner are healthy all year, the Nationals probably win 100+ games or at least squeak by the Braves with 98-99.

Too many people don't recognize they were without those two for the first two months of the year.

Both avoided arbitration in the winter, too.
    For clarity I picked the Nats to win it all when the postseason began... I rec they are a good team. I'm just speaking in the context of the here and now, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Stros flip this.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    If Rendon and Turner are healthy all year, the Nationals probably win 100+ games or at least squeak by the Braves with 98-99.

Too many people don't recognize they were without those two for the first two months of the year.

Both avoided arbitration in the winter, too.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Keep the Execs away from the celebratory punch bowl. There are juice boxes in the back of the fridge for the groupies to enjoy.

Maybe the most idiotic part about it...Mr. wife beater who the GM is referring to literally just blew the series clinching save about an hour before Mr. GM made a fool of himself. They are both lucky AF Altuve saved their ass with the walk off.

So ask, WTF was he even talking about - "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so fucking glad we got Osuna"...? It doesn't make any sense as wife beater was the worst player on the diamond that night.
    You're preaching to the choir. The guy acted like a dick and I hope they get beat.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I think it was their closer.. Wetteland. The legend took over after he signed with Texas if memory serves.

I loved the Boggs thing, my hatred for boston is long standing and even then I was like, "I love this.. screw the sox".
    Yeah. A "closer." Totally stupid.

I think Tim Raines was on that team too.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    I don't believe in Karma. I think the Nationals are just really good when they're healthy.

You're right about the Assistant GM acting like an ass, and whats more, the team doubled down by not offering any kind of apology or gee we're sorry that happened kind of approach. So they're another group of people who think that they can just do and act however they want without consequence because.

So I hope they get swept. It's the only consequence that will matter outside of anything that could hurt them financially. Smart group of guys in that front office, but evidently they feel empowered to act like ass bags and not have to be accountable.
    Keep the Execs away from the celebratory punch bowl. There are juice boxes in the back of the fridge for the groupies to enjoy.

Maybe the most idiotic part about it...Mr. wife beater who the GM is referring to literally just blew the series clinching save about an hour before Mr. GM made a fool of himself. They are both lucky AF Altuve saved their ass with the walk off.

So ask, WTF was he even talking about - "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so fucking glad we got Osuna"...? It doesn't make any sense as wife beater was the worst player on the diamond that night.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Feels like we will know where this is going early on Saturday. I'm kind of expecting the Astros to come out and jump on them early. Game three is more than your usual swing game... there is huge momentum hinging on it and as LAX said, Houston takes that game then the Nats will have to, at minimum, win a game started by Cole and or Verlander again... Washington better finish them while they can.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    The Astros have a better rotation than the Nats, a better bullpen than the Nats, and a better lineup than the Nats. But the Nats have baby shark.

Kidding aside, the only group where there is a real significant mismatch is the bullpen. The Astros' pen is lightyears deeper and more talented than the Nats.' And some people act like the Nationals didn't have the same winning percentage as the Astros over the latter two-thirds of the season.

I could easily see the Astros' coming back and winning the series, especially if they go with Cole 3x on short rest instead of rolling out their bullpen amalgamation for Game 4. But right now they're in full on panic mode having team meetings at 1 AM and you can see their confidence is the opposite of that in the other dugout. This is what happens when someone crowns you before a single pitch is thrown, and when you go around talking shit after beating the Yankees and causing distractions. One team is playing with pressure and scrutiny, the other isn't. What remains to be seen is if that dynamic changes now that their backs are up against the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
    How did you know he's stupid?

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Wade Boggs Carpet World

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

I'd say strange could be a potential understatement. LOL!

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
    I just threw up in my mouth...

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.
    yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.
    Yeah, I know...hence my post. That was very apparent every time the fat lefty wobbled his way to the mound.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...
    I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Or the Yanks...
    We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Nope, karma is biting the 'Stros in the ass for signing a woman beater to close games. Baseball works funny that way sometimes. That idiot GM should have just shut his trap after finishing off the Yanks.
    I don't believe in Karma. I think the Nationals are just really good when they're healthy.

You're right about the Assistant GM acting like an ass, and whats more, the team doubled down by not offering any kind of apology or gee we're sorry that happened kind of approach. So they're another group of people who think that they can just do and act however they want without consequence because.

So I hope they get swept. It's the only consequence that will matter outside of anything that could hurt them financially. Smart group of guys in that front office, but evidently they feel empowered to act like ass bags and not have to be accountable.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    1. I hope the Nationals sweep the Astros. That pitching, the highest wRC since the 1927 Yankees, and down 2-0 to start the WS. Baseball.

2. Not sure how having a manager who was on the team three years ago helps the Cubs get more out of their players. Ross is going to have to draw the line in the sand as the boss and not the older brother figure he was in 2016. Interesting move, and Theo ran the show on this hire. As always, they were transparent and told everyone Ross was the front runner.

3. Joe Girardi and Bryce Harper. Enjoy

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    Better y'all than the Cubs
    Or the Yanks...

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    That’s what everyone hopes....