Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
    I see now that Carpenter and Hudson could possibly be involved. I'm all in favor of trading Hudson. His advanced stats last year were very, very average.
    Yes I'm willing to part with Hudson, though we should remember that he's still a good starter even if his peripherals show that he benefited more from the defense than a normal pitcher. Then again, the groundball is his game. It's also supposed to be a better fit for Coors field.

    Dak, O'Neill, perhaps Car Mart and another guy. Definitely gonna be 3 or 4 players going to Coors, but it's intermittent whether Nolan Gorman or Liberatore are actually going to Colorado. I'm selfish and hoping that Cards keep Liberatore.

    Comment


    • Can't say I have any love or hate for the Astros but I'm glad they got hit hard for this.

      Comment


      • The GM and Coach have now been fired!
        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

        Comment


        • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
          Yes I'm willing to part with Hudson, though we should remember that he's still a good starter even if his peripherals show that he benefited more from the defense than a normal pitcher. Then again, the groundball is his game. It's also supposed to be a better fit for Coors field.

          Dak, O'Neill, perhaps Car Mart and another guy. Definitely gonna be 3 or 4 players going to Coors, but it's intermittent whether Nolan Gorman or Liberatore are actually going to Colorado. I'm selfish and hoping that Cards keep Liberatore.
          Sounds like Gorman may be off the table. I hope he isn't traded because Fowler isn't that far from being done and Gorman could step right into RF. I would be okay with giving up Liberatore because it's essentially trading Jose Martinez and Arozarena. But top 50 lefty starter prospects don't grow on trees. Arenado's opt out clause makes this deal complicated and definitely deflates the value the Rockies will get in return. But if Arenado has 2 amazing seasons and bolts in free agency, then it'll end up being a win for the Cards anyway. They'll get out of a huge financial commitment for 5 additional years and probably will be legit WS contenders during his 2 huge years.

          If they trade Hudson, I hope they keep Carlos Martinez. He'll need to slot into the rotation unless they pick up a back-of-the-rotation arm in the deal. Flaherty-Mikolas-Martinez-Waino-Kim. Use a closer-by-committee approach until Hicks comes back.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
            Sounds like Gorman may be off the table. I hope he isn't traded because Fowler isn't that far from being done and Gorman could step right into RF. I would be okay with giving up Liberatore because it's essentially trading Jose Martinez and Arozarena. But top 50 lefty starter prospects don't grow on trees. Arenado's opt out clause makes this deal complicated and definitely deflates the value the Rockies will get in return. But if Arenado has 2 amazing seasons and bolts in free agency, then it'll end up being a win for the Cards anyway. They'll get out of a huge financial commitment for 5 additional years and probably will be legit WS contenders during his 2 huge years.

            If they trade Hudson, I hope they keep Carlos Martinez. He'll need to slot into the rotation unless they pick up a back-of-the-rotation arm in the deal. Flaherty-Mikolas-Martinez-Waino-Kim. Use a closer-by-committee approach until Hicks comes back.
            I think you're confusing Carlson for Gorman. Carlson is the AAA OF who will spend some time in St Louis this upcoming year. Gorman is in A or AA and the 3B power hitter.

            Apparently the front office and staff are committed to making CarMart a starter again, so you're right that they'd need to immediately replace him. Dak could probably be switched with Austin Gomber.

            According to Passan, the talks aren't going anywhere right now. Maybe this happens around spring training, but as of now it looks like it won't proceed.

            Comment


            • Boston and manager Alex Cora agree to part ways. Haha I hope he gets a permanent ban.
              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

              Comment


              • Los Angeles Dodgers 2017 World Champs...just kidding.

                Comment


                • As much as I like seeing the Stros and Sux get hit,... I think it's kind of crazy. Sign stealing has been a thing forever. We tried to steal signs on every team I played on starting in little league. EVERY team steals signs if they can... there is no actual rule against it. Everyone is all indignant because a few teams went the extra mile with it... that's my two cents.
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                    As much as I like seeing the Stros and Sux get hit,... I think it's kind of crazy. Sign stealing has been a thing forever. We tried to steal signs on every team I played on starting in little league. EVERY team steals signs if they can... there is no actual rule against it. Everyone is all indignant because a few teams went the extra mile with it... that's my two cents.
                    The difference between a guy at second or a basecoach stealing signs and the Astros using the videos from the replay to decipher what the signs are, then warn their batters while in the box which pitches are coming is pretty massive. Plus teams were warned in 2017 not to do this, the Astros ignored that.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                      The difference between a guy at second or a basecoach stealing signs and the Astros using the videos from the replay to decipher what the signs are, then warn their batters while in the box which pitches are coming is pretty massive. Plus teams were warned in 2017 not to do this, the Astros ignored that.
                      Then there should be like, you know,... a clear section in the rule book???

                      Just sayin. Not like I want to be here defending these two teams but yeah all this indignation is a bit excessive considering every single one of our teams does some shade of grey of this.
                      Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-15-2020, 10:19 AM.
                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                        Then there should be like, you know,... a clear section in the rule book???

                        Just sayin. Not like I want to be here defending these two teams but yeah
                        Or the teams could just not ignore a direct warning from the commissioner? Using electronic equipment to steal signs is against the rules, and the clubs were warned after the Sox were caught in 2017. The below is from the Commissioner's statement just the other day announcing the punishment for the Astros.

                        Following the issuance of the press release announcing the results of the Red Sox investigation, I issued a memorandum that same day to all Clubs reiterating the rules regarding the use of electronic equipment to steal signs, and putting all Clubs on notice that future violations would be taken extremely seriously by my office. I specifically stated in the memorandum that the General Manager and Field Manager of Clubs would be held accountable for any violations of the rules in the future. Thus, all Clubs were put on notice as of September 15, 2017 that any use of electronic equipment to steal signs would be dealt with more severely by my office. Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.

                        Comment


                        • I'm speaking more to the fan/media reaction than the league's... It seems most think the punishment is too small and things like lifetime bans and such should follow those involved etc...
                          Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM.
                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                            I'm speaking more to the fan/media reaction than the league's... It seems most think the punishment is too small and things like lifetime bans and such should follow those involved etc...
                            Well think about it, would you give up your GM and a couple draft picks for a World Series title? Most clubs would make that trade

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                              Well think about it, would you give up your GM and a couple draft picks for a World Series title? Most clubs would make that trade
                              Pretty much...
                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                Pretty much...
                                That's the problem. If this is the punishment for 1 World Series, teams would be willing to take the risk.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                  That's the problem. If this is the punishment for 1 World Series, teams would be willing to take the risk.
                                  If that was the line then yeah, everyone would do it, or maybe is lol, I don't think it's that simple though... funny how it wan't Pittsburgh or Miami that suddenly became champions through this though. Anyway, I'm sick to death of the pearl clutching crap we see everywhere is my point. If you think stealing signs is worthy of a lifetime bans and franchise destroying, sweeping, penalties, my response would be,... stop watching sports please.
                                  Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM.
                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                  Comment


                                  • In fairness I'm just irritated by this phenomenon in general and it just bleed into baseball this morning. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing in terms of what the talking heads and other fans wanted done here.
                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                    Comment


                                    • Now THIS fits the crime:

                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                      Comment


                                      • Twins signed Donaldson. This is our year!
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                          Twins signed Donaldson. This is our year!
                                          For sure, we might be able to win one playoff GAME!



                                          Not that I don't like the Donaldson signing, I'm just tired of losing in the postseason
                                          Last edited by mango4; 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM. Reason: typos

                                          Comment




                                          • Uh Oh ACamp...

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                              I'm just tired of losing in the postseason
                                              Shit Browns fans get tired of other people saying....
                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by gkIrish View Post

                                                Uh Oh ACamp...
                                                Eh,... how would a Mariners guy know?? Even so I have long thought some of these things should just be legal anyway... I mean, they out-lawed creatine for crying out loud. You know how low level protein shake that shit is?? lol

                                                And yes, I have said many times, prob in this thread. The MLB and other sports should allow far more HGH use, especially for injuries and such. No matter if Trout is taking it or not (he prob is, dude is jacked).
                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                Comment






                                                • Ok, this is pretty freakin wild if true... I retract my previous statements lol
                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • The postgame interview from that game sure looks odd now... it FEELS like Ken Rosenthal knew....
                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                      The postgame interview from that game sure looks odd now... it FEELS like Ken Rosenthal knew....
                                                      Yeah itís all making sense. A lot of other people are saying this has been known or believed by lots of people in baseball the last year or two.
                                                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Betts and Price to the Dodgers I’m seeing. Interested to see what Boston gets in return

                                                        Comment


                                                        • We just got Pederson
                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • The Reds finally spent a bunch of money to try and build a "win now" team, instead of dabbling somewhere between "win now" and "maintain the future."

                                                            Attendance at GABP should be way up this year based on the offensive firepower they added to a team that already had good pitching...

                                                            But I wouldn't be surprised if they win 83 games in a year that should have been better, and miss a wildcard spot by 2 games or something stupid.

                                                            #CincinnatiSports

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Reds should be good... which is good to see. I expect Moose to love that stadium numbers wise..

                                                              Angels got Ross Stripling in the deal last night too.. they have a bunch of quality arms now in comparison to recent seasons but only one front end guy in Ohtani and he will be limited. They need to make another deal.
                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • I’d love for the Reds to get good again. GABP is less than two hours from me. My favorite call-in days are spent watching day games in Cincinnati.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                  Iíd love for the Reds to get good again. GABP is less than two hours from me. My favorite call-in days are spent watching day games in Cincinnati.
                                                                  My 3yo is already a sports nut, and he's a big-time Sandlot fan. Sleeps with his ball and/or glove every night (or a football or soccer ball on occasion).

                                                                  I'm really looking forward to taking an off day sometime in April and taking him to a businessman's special for his first Reds game.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                    My 3yo is already a sports nut, and he's a big-time Sandlot fan. Sleeps with his ball and/or glove every night (or a football or soccer ball on occasion).

                                                                    I'm really looking forward to taking an off day sometime in April and taking him to a businessman's special for his first Reds game.
                                                                    Awesome man, sounds like the youngster is off to a good start. Make sure he swings that bat lefty and knob to the ball like Tysonís right to someoneís jaw. Short and sweet, let your wrist whip it...bat speed = power. I could go on for days lol....

                                                                    Enjoy!!! Sounds like you have some good times ahead.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Baseball is getting ready to be ruined again. The commissioner Manfred is an idiot. He wants to add playoff teams which is a dumb idea. You almost have .500 teams in the playoffs now. And wants the top seeds to be able to pick who they want to play which I believe is bs. This guy is going to ruin the game.

                                                                      They have changed the NFL some much it sucks now they are trying to do the same to baseball. I guess I better start liking hockey.
                                                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                        Baseball is getting ready to be ruined again. The commissioner Manfred is an idiot. He wants to add playoff teams which is a dumb idea. You almost have .500 teams in the playoffs now. And wants the top seeds to be able to pick who they want to play which I believe is bs. This guy is going to ruin the game.

                                                                        They have changed the NFL some much it sucks now they are trying to do the same to baseball. I guess I better start liking hockey.
                                                                        I donít love the ideas he floated out, but it seems like heís trying to disincentivize tanking. Iím all for that, but it would be a better idea to adjust young player salaries to reflect their actual market value instead of forcing them into the league minimum for 3 years before 2 years of arb. That would show tanking.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • So dumb
                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • This is the year for my Redlegs!!!!

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • The Irish football team has better starting pitching than my Halos at this point... I'm so fuckin angry at our ownership for nixing that Dodgers trade... as if one of my sports loves having a dipshit owner wasn't enough Arte is here making it two.
                                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                                I donít love the ideas he floated out, but it seems like heís trying to disincentivize tanking. Iím all for that, but it would be a better idea to adjust young player salaries to reflect their actual market value instead of forcing them into the league minimum for 3 years before 2 years of arb. That would show tanking.
                                                                                There is no tanking in baseball. One of the beauties of the game is watching prospects earn their way up. And these kids arenít doing anything but their best. Sorry Manfieild, but if thatís the justification then it carries no weight.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Super excited about the prospect Jeter Downs. We need a second baseman and he’s a top talent. Super frustrated we got no arms in the deal. Maybe one of the others are used for another trade....the only thing I can comprehend.

                                                                                  Need outs boys.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • We will see if he's just a fall guy or whatever but the idea that Calros Beltran started, exasperated, pushed and then expanded the entire sign stealing scandal as the central figure in it all does not surprise me even a little bit....
                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Their key demographic is going to start leaving the planet soon and going to the bunty, grindy, throw at his head if he shows you up ballpark in the sky.

                                                                                      This might not be the right way to capture a bigger audience, but they have to consider something.
                                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                        Their key demographic is going to start leaving the planet soon and going to the bunty, grindy, throw at his head if he shows you up ballpark in the sky.

                                                                                        This might not be the right way to capture a bigger audience, but they have to consider something.
                                                                                        I actually think this is what is needed... the 82 Cardinals making a resurrection.. it's so much more exciting as a brand in comparison to this station to station strike out fest we have now.
                                                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                          There is no tanking in baseball. One of the beauties of the game is watching prospects earn their way up. And these kids arenít doing anything but their best. Sorry Manfieild, but if thatís the justification then it carries no weight.
                                                                                          How can you say there is no tanking? That's the exact philosophy that the Cubs and Astros employed on their way to WS titles. They bottomed out, dealt all of their veterans for prospects, and loaded their farm system up for a specific competitive window. I don't understand how you can believe this.

                                                                                          And prospects earning their way up? Their service time is manipulated by teams who have tanked and hold their best prospects until their competitive window is open. Kris Bryant just filed a grievance over this exact problem.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                            I actually think this is what is needed... the 82 Cardinals making a resurrection.. it's so much more exciting as a brand in comparison to this station to station strike out fest we have now.
                                                                                            This would get me to watch baseball again. I hate the current game.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                                              How can you say there is no tanking? That's the exact philosophy that the Cubs and Astros employed on their way to WS titles. They bottomed out, dealt all of their veterans for prospects, and loaded their farm system up for a specific competitive window. I don't understand how you can believe this.

                                                                                              And prospects earning their way up? Their service time is manipulated by teams who have tanked and hold their best prospects until their competitive window is open. Kris Bryant just filed a grievance over this exact problem.
                                                                                              Hold on, what? Your telling me kids competing for millions of dollars arenít putting their best foot forward? Is that even possible?

                                                                                              I get maybe the big league club not fielding their best day in and out. But there is no tanking between the lines. I guarantee it.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Blah blah blah.

                                                                                                Let's forget about all the meaningless business of baseball and all rejoice becuase:

                                                                                                The 2021 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox's pitchers and catchers reported today!




                                                                                                Got a huge week of college baseball out here this week too.

                                                                                                Friday going to see Cal Poly / UConn followed by the #1 Vandy / #8 Michigan rematch.

                                                                                                Saturday it's #3 ASU / Nova followed by #3 ASU / #8 Michigan.

                                                                                                Over the next week BC, #16 OK State & Offensive juggernaut NM State come to town.

                                                                                                Thank goodness baseball is back!

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                                  Blah blah blah.

                                                                                                  Let's forget about all the meaningless business of baseball and all rejoice becuase:

                                                                                                  The 2021 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox's pitchers and catchers reported today!

                                                                                                  Got a huge week of college baseball out here this week too.

                                                                                                  Friday going to see Cal Poly / UConn followed by the #1 Vandy / #8 Michigan rematch.

                                                                                                  Saturday it's #3 ASU / Nova followed by #3 ASU / #8 Michigan.

                                                                                                  Over the next week BC, #16 OK State & Offensive juggernaut NM State coming to town.

                                                                                                  Thank goodness baseball is back!
                                                                                                  This is always a rough time of the sports year for me... no one talks Hockey even during the playoffs really, football is over and there is this moronic focus on basketball (gross) on all of sports talk radio. My morning commutes are awful. Yes, thank goodness baseball is back.
                                                                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                                    This is always a rough time of the sports year for me... no one talks Hockey even during the playoffs really, football is over and there is this moronic focus on basketball (gross) on all of sports talk radio. My morning commutes are awful. Yes, thank goodness baseball is back.
                                                                                                    If you like college baseball, go catch NM State play UTEP. (assuming they play) NM State has 3 of the best hitters in the country.

                                                                                                    Where you at in EP? I-10/NW, I-10/SE or up 54?

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                                      If you like college baseball, go catch NM State play UTEP. (assuming they play) NM State has 3 of the best hitters in the country.

                                                                                                      Where you at in EP? I-10/NW, I-10/SE or up 54?
                                                                                                      UTEP dropped baseball a couple decades ago... I don't know how well you really know EP but,... I'm literally in the first section of El Paso right when you enter it via the 10 coming from Las Cruces... So, I-10 NW?? We go to Mesilla quite a bit.
                                                                                                      Last edited by ACamp1900; 02-12-2020, 06:05 PM.
                                                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X