Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Not surprisingly, Houston has fired their Asst GM
    I bet heís not so ďfóóing gladĒ now. Wonder what took so long, especially considering the team publicly defended his idiotic outburst.

    Iím thinking heíd still be employed if the ĎStros werenít down 0-2. Which is down right pathetic.

    Comment


    • What does anyone know about this Chaim Bloom fella? Did the RedSox make a good hire? Looks like he has a pretty decent track record and is well respected within the baseball world.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
        What does anyone know about this Chaim Bloom fella? Did the RedSox make a good hire? Looks like he has a pretty decent track record and is well respected within the baseball world.
        He started out at Baseball Prospectus in 1997. He went to Yale. He's 36. He's what teams should be looking for.
        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
          He started out at Baseball Prospectus in 1997. He went to Yale. He's 36. He's what teams should be looking for.
          Wait, he started with them before he was of legal working age??
          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
            Wait, he started with them before he was of legal working age??
            He wrote an article for them, yes.

            Here's his author page: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/author/chaim_bloom/
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

            Comment


            • Baseball Twitter had some bat carrying outrage last night. It was glorious.

              That game was as chaotic and fun as anything I've seen in a long time for playoff baseball.

              Sadly, only one game left and then winter.
              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

              Comment


              • Honestly didn't think the Senators had it in them.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                  Honestly didn't think the Senators had it in them.
                  They don't, the 'Senators' were knocked out in early October.
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                    Baseball Twitter had some bat carrying outrage last night. It was glorious.

                    That game was as chaotic and fun as anything I've seen in a long time for playoff baseball.

                    Sadly, only one game left and then winter.
                    Win or lose tonight, Soto punking Bregman after his nonsense in the first inning was a top all time baseball moment for me and no one can take that way. I hope they finish it off... I think it depends on whether Max has his stuff or not.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                      Win or lose tonight, Soto punking Bregman after his nonsense in the first inning was a top all time baseball moment for me and no one can take that way. I hope they finish it off... I think it depends on whether Max has his stuff or not.
                      The only thing that would have been better was the Pedro you have no marbles from the movie major league.
                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                      Comment


                      • Happy for Kendrick. He was a huge part of those great Halo teams some years backs.
                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                          They don't, the 'Senators' were knocked out in early October.
                          What can I say, I'm "real" old school.

                          Unbelievable comeback. With the Colt 45's (for you ACamp) pitching I didn't think they would drop two at home. IIRC, this is the first time the visiting team has won every game in the series. Crazy.

                          Comment


                          • What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

                            GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                              What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

                              GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
                              Congrats. I made some $$$ betting on the Nationals before the series started so I was happy, too.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                What can I say, I'm "real" old school.

                                Unbelievable comeback. With the Colt 45's (for you ACamp) pitching I didn't think they would drop two at home. IIRC, this is the first time the visiting team has won every game in the series. Crazy.
                                First time in any american sport this has happened...

                                Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

                                GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
                                Congrats man, a team you are truly invested in winning a title is the best thing ever outside of huge life moments like children being born or getting married, stuff like that.
                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                Comment


                                • Best Series I’ve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                    Best Series Iíve ever seen. Takes me back to when the Halos were intentionally walking Bonds with the bases juiced. That was a good series too


                                    1997
                                    2002
                                    2011 just recently.

                                    but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

                                    2001
                                    1991
                                    1985

                                    take your pick between those three imo.

                                    This one was good but not really great.
                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                    Comment


                                    • Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

                                      Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.
                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                        What an insane run from 19-31 to WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! They trailed in FIVE elimination games and still found a way to get it done. I am so hungover and tired this morning but swear to god the grass is greener, the air is fresher, and the women are more beautiful today.

                                        GO NATS! LONG LIVE BABY SHARK!
                                        Frank Howard is probably a happy man today.


                                        Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                        Honestly the 2001 and 1991 world series were both so great they seem like life events in my memory... life before the 9/11 series and life after and life before Braves/Twins and life after...

                                        Those two seemed to have so much more at stake than normal and both had game after game come down to the final at bats.
                                        1960 was a crazy series. Pirates beat my Yankees 4-3. The three games the Yankees won, they hammered the Pirates. The four the Pirates won were close games.
                                        Last edited by Irish#1; 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM.

                                        Comment


                                        • 1960 is the largest margin by which a winning team was out scored in the series,... pretty sure
                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post


                                            1997
                                            2002
                                            2011 just recently.

                                            but from a neutral standpoint the best world series in my lifetime :

                                            2001
                                            1991
                                            1985

                                            take your pick between those three imo.

                                            This one was good but not really great.
                                            I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, Ď07, Ď13 and Ď18. Iím running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hearó>

                                            That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. Heís still the only man Iíve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

                                            Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

                                            Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                              I mean, if we want to be completely transparent, the best WS was 1918. Followed closely by 2004, Ď07, Ď13 and Ď18. Iím running at of fingers...insert the obvious Yankee smartass comment hearó>

                                              That Bonds guy though, he could sure get the barrel on a rally monkey heater. Heís still the only man Iíve seen intentionally walked with bases loaded.

                                              Jack Morris dealing 10 was pretty special too. Punched his ticket to Cooperstown with that one outing alone.

                                              Kirby climbing the wall also comes to mind.
                                              Bonds wasnít walked w bases loaded against the Halos tho,... but he did hit a crazy home run in that series.
                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                              Comment


                                              • The New York Mets have hired Carlos Beltran to be their manager.
                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                Comment


                                                • NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

                                                  Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

                                                  "Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

                                                  Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

                                                  "The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

                                                  Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

                                                  "In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.
                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                    NEW YORK -- Two days into the free-agent market, the players' association already is angry at a club.

                                                    Union head Tony Clark issued a statement Wednesday in response to remarks attributed to Atlanta Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos during a conference call with media.

                                                    "Every day you get more information. And we've had time to connect with 27 of the clubs -- obviously the Astros and [Nationals] being in the World Series, they were tied up -- but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades," Anthopoulos said, according to the union.

                                                    Baseball's labor contract prohibits clubs from acting in concert in free-agent negotiations.

                                                    "The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system," Clark said in his statement. "The clear description of club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter."

                                                    Seeking to clarify his remarks, Anthopoulos issued a statement Wednesday night in response.

                                                    "In advance of the general managers meetings, I called around to clubs to explore the possibility of potential offseason trades," he said. "At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves' intentions with respect to the free-agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and apologize for any confusion.
                                                    Someone's always getting their panties in a bunch.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                      Someone's always getting their panties in a bunch.
                                                      To be fair, the Braves lost 13 prospects and had their GM at the time banned for life two years ago. They may want to be careful with how they word things, at the very least.
                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                        To be fair, the Braves lost 13 prospects and had their GM at the time banned for life two years ago. They may want to be careful with how they word things, at the very least.
                                                        You would think an experienced GM like him would know what words not to use.
                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Astros accused of high-tech sign-stealing scheme during 2017 championship season

                                                          Mike Fiers, who pitched with the Astros 2015 to 2017, was among four people with the Astros at the time who described to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich a system in which at least two Astros — a hitter on the team and a coach — set up a camera in the outfield that was focused on opposing catchers. Astros players would watch the other team’s signs on a video monitor near their dugout and then clank on a garbage can to signal what pitch was coming.


                                                          Front page of Yahoo and even saw it on the local news this morning. Relaying signs to a hitter while on second base is part of the game...if the runner is smart enough to figure them out. Setting up a camera system in the outfield is flat out cheating and should be punished accordingly IMO.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and it’s unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

                                                            I’m guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I can’t imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didn’t lose to this group of cheaters.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                              I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and itís unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

                                                              Iím guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I canít imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didnít lose to this group of cheaters.
                                                              Yeah if something like this happened in college sports that team would be stripped of their title no doubt about it. As a Yankees fan I am pretty upset. If the Yankees did this they would be crucified. I suspect the Astros will get a big fine and the MLB will sweep it under the rug.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • 'Stros are quickly becoming my second most hated team in baseball...

                                                                If true this is too blatant and thought through to just be swept under the rug. But, as noted, that's probably what will happen. I personally think their WS should be stripped.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                  I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and itís unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

                                                                  Iím guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I canít imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didnít lose to this group of cheaters.
                                                                  I'll second all of this.
                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • They're a bunch of scumbags. Really admired them a few years back and how they built their team. Not so much anymore. Wonder what else is in the onion the further it gets peeled back.
                                                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                      I saw a video of someone illustrating how they did it and relayed the signs to the batter by banging a trash can and itís unbelievable. 100% cheating. Crazy that this guy had the balls to rat on their lying organization.

                                                                      Iím guessing their damage control will be to try to throw a handful of people under the bus. MLB, IMO, needs to fine them, take three years of draft picks, suspend Hinch and their entire coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and I canít imagine being a Dodgers or Yankees fan right now. Thank god the Nats didnít lose to this group of cheaters.
                                                                      you got a link for the video?
                                                                      Prehistoric

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Also, if true, I hope Hinich gets ripped publicly for how much of a smug Dbag he was when the Yankees called them out on this.

                                                                        I too have seen some of the videos on twitter of a guy analyzing what was going on and seems very very clear this was indeed happening.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How the hell does Jomboy not have a MLB job? <a href="https://t.co/2fdROICvty">https://t.co/2fdROICvty</a></p>&mdash; Alaina (@alaina1424) <a href="https://twitter.com/alaina1424/status/1194428054464073728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How the hell does Jomboy not have a MLB job? <a href="https://t.co/2fdROICvty">https://t.co/2fdROICvty</a></p>&mdash; Alaina (@alaina1424) <a href="https://twitter.com/alaina1424/status/1194428054464073728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                            Thanks for posting this!!

                                                                            "and you sound like a pompous dick now"....LMAO.


                                                                            How does a hitter have that shitty of an at bat when he knows every pitch coming??

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Still sitting around for the Angels to get Trout and Co some pitching help like:

                                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Huh???...Jacoby Ellsbury cut by the Yanks?? Am I the only one who thought that guy retired like 10 years ago?

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                  Huh???...Jacoby Ellsbury cut by the Yanks?? Am I the only one who thought that guy retired like 10 years ago?
                                                                                  Probably b/c he hasnít played since 2017. Thatís a lot of money the Yanks have paid for zero ABs.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                    Still sitting around for the Angels to get Trout and Co some pitching help like:

                                                                                    It's taken me 35 plus years but I'm finally realizing that deciding to be a die hard fan of select sports teams was a pour life choice.........
                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Fuck me,.........
                                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • WOW:

                                                                                        Astro's Management Suspended 1 Year
                                                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                          Excellent. Should've stripped world series too.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                            Excellent. Should've stripped world series too.
                                                                                            Wonder if anything drops on boston now...
                                                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Time for the Cardinals to trade a couple tin cans for Nolan Arenado...

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                                Time for the Cardinals to trade a couple tin cans for Nolan Arenado...
                                                                                                I just donít know where we move Carpenter unless heís part of the trade.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                                                  I just donít know where we move Carpenter unless heís part of the trade.
                                                                                                  I think he does go as part of the trade, if the Rockies are willing to take him. It's that or Edman goes, and I doubt that happens.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Rough 24 hours for Houston sports.

                                                                                                    MLB couldn't have done this to a bigger group of assholes. I really admired what they've done over the years. This, the Astros being a fraud, it a serious letdown.
                                                                                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                                      I think he does go as part of the trade, if the Rockies are willing to take him. It's that or Edman goes, and I doubt that happens.
                                                                                                      I see now that Carpenter and Hudson could possibly be involved. I'm all in favor of trading Hudson. His advanced stats last year were very, very average.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X