No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Washington getting a second interview for the Padres opening. That would be a sweet gig w/ their youth movement...and living in San Diego.

Comment

• That would be a great hire for a team that seems just a piece or two away
      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
        Thatís fine but they need to move on. Celebrate your success and win the WS...donít waste energy rubbing Harperís nose in the fact he left. Be better than that.
        Sorry, but when he and his wife continue to take shots at DC from the start of the season to the very end it's going to continue to be a story. If he had handled leaving differently, we wouldn't still be talking about him. But he's Bryce Harper.

Comment

• From watching him and read articles on him Bryce is a complete a$$hole. So he gets want ever he deserves.
          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Jesus, this is just some classless and disturbing stuff from Yankee fans. Good to see Greinke play through it and shutting their fans up.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astro...on-alcs-report
            It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
              From watching him and read articles on him Bryce is a complete a$$hole. So he gets want ever he deserves.
              He's really not even that good of a baseball player either, especially for that money. 4th most Ks in the league this year. And the few guys who struck out more had 49, 41 and 53 bombs compared to Bryce's 35.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                He's really not even that good of a baseball player either, especially for that money. 4th most Ks in the league this year. And the few guys who struck out more had 49, 41 and 53 bombs compared to Bryce's 35.
                In a better hitters park then he came from in DC.

Comment

• That’s the thing, he’s good but nowhere near the ‘greatest high school player ever’ hype he came in with and he’s only had one year where he was anywhere near that.
                  Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM.
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                    Sorry, but when he and his wife continue to take shots at DC from the start of the season to the very end it's going to continue to be a story. If he had handled leaving differently, we wouldn't still be talking about him. But he's Bryce Harper.
                    No need to apologize. I have no skin in the game...If the Nats were my team I’d want them focused on winning a ring...not petty back & forth.

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                    That’s the thing, he’s good but nowhere near the ‘greatest high school player ever’ hype he came in with and he’s only had one year where he was anywhere near that.

He sounds like the Jimmy Clausen of MLB.

Comment

No need to apologize. I have no skin in the game...If the Nats were my team Iíd want them focused on winning a ring...not petty back & forth.

He sounds like the Jimmy Clausen of MLB.
                      That is the best comparison I've ever heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                        That is the best comparison I've ever heard.
                        I was tailgating near a former member of NDís training staff back in 2014 before UNC game. She, very politely; painted an unfavorable picture of Clausen as the douchebag I always suspected he was.

That being said, I hope he matured past that into his adult life. And, his 2009 season has to be one of the greatest QB performances wasted by a nonexistent defense. I think Ď09 was the season he played w/ the toe injury as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                          Jesus, this is just some classless and disturbing stuff from Yankee fans. Good to see Greinke play through it and shutting their fans up.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astro...on-alcs-report
                          Just one more reason on top of the other billion to hate NY...
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Altuve and the astros send the Yanks packing. Altuve is a beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                              Just one more reason on top of the other billion to hate NY...
                              Well what are the other billion? I mean, just name 100 thousand of them?

Comment

• This quote from Carlos Correa to @Buster_ESPN is something: "It’s a great series. We knew they had a great team. Like they call themselves, they’re savages. But in this jungle called the American League, we’re the apex predator."

Comment

• Go 'stros!
                                  "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• David Ross to manage the Cubs? How are north siders feeling about that hire?

I'm just happy we don't have to hear him in the booth any longer...geesh.

Comment

• Fun first game from a neutral perspective... with the pitching being what is was I figured the game was done and dusted multiple times and kept being proven wrong.

Comment

David Ross to manage the Cubs? How are north siders feeling about that hire?

Not a north sider but...

From Maddon to Ross? The only winner here is the Angels.

Comment

David Ross to manage the Cubs? How are north siders feeling about that hire?

Very Meh....I guess with good and experienced bench, hitting and pitching coaches it could work.

Comment

• My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                              My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...
                                              So are your Halos going to sign Gerrit Cole? I understand he wants to play near his hometown.

Comment

My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things,... feels like the 96 series...
                                                Nope, karma is biting the 'Stros in the ass for signing a woman beater to close games. Baseball works funny that way sometimes. That idiot GM should have just shut his trap after finishing off the Yanks.
                                                Last edited by Irish2155; 10-24-2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900;2133233[B
                                                  ]My gut still tells me the Stros can go to DC and boss things[/B],... feels like the 96 series...
                                                  That's the White Castles. It's not over, but Nats have a big advantage.

Comment

So are your Halos going to sign Gerrit Cole? I understand he wants to play near his hometown.
                                                    Thatís what everyone hopes....

Comment

• This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Thatís what everyone hopes....
                                                        Better y'all than the Cubs

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                          Better y'all than the Cubs
                                                          Or the Yanks...

Comment

• 1. I hope the Nationals sweep the Astros. That pitching, the highest wRC since the 1927 Yankees, and down 2-0 to start the WS. Baseball.

2. Not sure how having a manager who was on the team three years ago helps the Cubs get more out of their players. Ross is going to have to draw the line in the sand as the boss and not the older brother figure he was in 2016. Interesting move, and Theo ran the show on this hire. As always, they were transparent and told everyone Ross was the front runner.

3. Joe Girardi and Bryce Harper. Enjoy
                                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Nope, karma is biting the 'Stros in the ass for signing a woman beater to close games. Baseball works funny that way sometimes. That idiot GM should have just shut his trap after finishing off the Yanks.
                                                              I don't believe in Karma. I think the Nationals are just really good when they're healthy.

You're right about the Assistant GM acting like an ass, and whats more, the team doubled down by not offering any kind of apology or gee we're sorry that happened kind of approach. So they're another group of people who think that they can just do and act however they want without consequence because.

So I hope they get swept. It's the only consequence that will matter outside of anything that could hurt them financially. Smart group of guys in that front office, but evidently they feel empowered to act like ass bags and not have to be accountable.
                                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Or the Yanks...
                                                                We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.

Comment

I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                    We need him. Starting pitching has been the weakness.
                                                                    Yeah, I know...hence my post. That was very apparent every time the fat lefty wobbled his way to the mound.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                      I think I get what you mean, but when you look at it historically....Yankees won 92 games, Braves 96. Braves were heavy favorites.

So in this instance, I hope you're right. The underdog will win and it'll be the Nationals.

We are literally talking about the best offensive team since the 1927 Yankees with these Astros. They are THAT good.
                                                                      yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.

Comment

yeah, just referring to coming back after falling 0-2 at home. That 96 series sticks with me... that thing was OVER,... and then it seemed like in a blink the Yanks were suddenly the champions. I remember it having such a strange feeling.
                                                                        Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

I'd say strange could be a potential understatement. LOL!

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?

Comment

Wade Boggs riding around on a horse in a Yankee uniform having won a World Series?

The last three games of that series could have gone either way. Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
                                                                          I think it was their closer.. Wetteland. The legend took over after he signed with Texas if memory serves.

I loved the Boggs thing, my hatred for boston is long standing and even then I was like, "I love this.. screw the sox".

Comment

I just threw up in my mouth...

Comment

• Wade Boggs Carpet World

Comment

Wasn't the MVP someone stupid like Jim Leyritz or something?
                                                                                How did you know he's stupid?

Comment

• The Astros have a better rotation than the Nats, a better bullpen than the Nats, and a better lineup than the Nats. But the Nats have baby shark.

Kidding aside, the only group where there is a real significant mismatch is the bullpen. The Astros' pen is lightyears deeper and more talented than the Nats.' And some people act like the Nationals didn't have the same winning percentage as the Astros over the latter two-thirds of the season.

I could easily see the Astros' coming back and winning the series, especially if they go with Cole 3x on short rest instead of rolling out their bullpen amalgamation for Game 4. But right now they're in full on panic mode having team meetings at 1 AM and you can see their confidence is the opposite of that in the other dugout. This is what happens when someone crowns you before a single pitch is thrown, and when you go around talking shit after beating the Yankees and causing distractions. One team is playing with pressure and scrutiny, the other isn't. What remains to be seen is if that dynamic changes now that their backs are up against the wall.

Comment

• Feels like we will know where this is going early on Saturday. I'm kind of expecting the Astros to come out and jump on them early. Game three is more than your usual swing game... there is huge momentum hinging on it and as LAX said, Houston takes that game then the Nats will have to, at minimum, win a game started by Cole and or Verlander again... Washington better finish them while they can.

Comment

I don't believe in Karma. I think the Nationals are just really good when they're healthy.

You're right about the Assistant GM acting like an ass, and whats more, the team doubled down by not offering any kind of apology or gee we're sorry that happened kind of approach. So they're another group of people who think that they can just do and act however they want without consequence because.

So I hope they get swept. It's the only consequence that will matter outside of anything that could hurt them financially. Smart group of guys in that front office, but evidently they feel empowered to act like ass bags and not have to be accountable.
                                                                                      Keep the Execs away from the celebratory punch bowl. There are juice boxes in the back of the fridge for the groupies to enjoy.

Maybe the most idiotic part about it...Mr. wife beater who the GM is referring to literally just blew the series clinching save about an hour before Mr. GM made a fool of himself. They are both lucky AF Altuve saved their ass with the walk off.

So ask, WTF was he even talking about - "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so fucking glad we got Osuna"...? It doesn't make any sense as wife beater was the worst player on the diamond that night.

Comment

I think it was their closer.. Wetteland. The legend took over after he signed with Texas if memory serves.

I loved the Boggs thing, my hatred for boston is long standing and even then I was like, "I love this.. screw the sox".
                                                                                        Yeah. A "closer." Totally stupid.

I think Tim Raines was on that team too.

Comment

Keep the Execs away from the celebratory punch bowl. There are juice boxes in the back of the fridge for the groupies to enjoy.

Maybe the most idiotic part about it...Mr. wife beater who the GM is referring to literally just blew the series clinching save about an hour before Mr. GM made a fool of himself. They are both lucky AF Altuve saved their ass with the walk off.

So ask, WTF was he even talking about - "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so fucking glad we got Osuna"...? It doesn't make any sense as wife beater was the worst player on the diamond that night.
                                                                                          You're preaching to the choir. The guy acted like a dick and I hope they get beat.

Comment

• If Rendon and Turner are healthy all year, the Nationals probably win 100+ games or at least squeak by the Braves with 98-99.

Too many people don't recognize they were without those two for the first two months of the year.

Both avoided arbitration in the winter, too.

Comment

If Rendon and Turner are healthy all year, the Nationals probably win 100+ games or at least squeak by the Braves with 98-99.

Too many people don't recognize they were without those two for the first two months of the year.

Both avoided arbitration in the winter, too.
                                                                                              For clarity I picked the Nats to win it all when the postseason began... I rec they are a good team. I'm just speaking in the context of the here and now, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Stros flip this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                How did you know he's stupid?
                                                                                                Postseason hero. There isn't a worst kind of guy. He's "clutch" for two weeks when all the casual baseball fans are watching.

90 career HR in the regular season. He hit 8 HR in 28 postseason games. Therefore he's a hero.

I've had two people tell me today Justin Verlander is 0-6 in the World Series, one of them being my Baby Boomer 70 year old father who knows these sample size discussions trigger me and I don't give a fuck about pitcher win loss records nor have I for twenty years.

Comment

Wetteland was clutch. Last I heard he was accused of being a pedophile which is alarming to say the least.

Boggs was always a favorite of mine just as a player. Hated the Yankees growing up but always liked Mattingly, too. Felt bad for him that he retired in 95 and the Yanks start collecting WS rings the very next season. Wouldíve probably been a HoFer had he not had all the back issues.

Comment

• Not surprisingly, Houston has fired their Asst GM

Comment

Wetteland was clutch. Last I heard he was accused of being a pedophile which is alarming to say the least.

Boggs was always a favorite of mine just as a player. Hated the Yankees growing up but always liked Mattingly, too. Felt bad for him that he retired in 95 and the Yanks start collecting WS rings the very next season. Wouldíve probably been a HoFer had he not had all the back issues.
                                                                                                      One would think 100+ beers in one day should earn some sort of HofF consideration. Thatís the kind of story legends are made of....right up there with when Benny the Jet pickled the beast.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X