No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Halos just fired Ausmus... not sure it's gonna happen but they must be thinking Madden.
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Cards win in Atlanta! With Flaherty tomorrow and Waino at home game 3 you gotta like the chances of stealing the series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
        Cards win in Atlanta! With Flaherty tomorrow and Waino at home game 3 you gotta like the chances of stealing the series.

Good Guys -1

Josh Donaldson's D-Bag Hair - 0

Comment

• Just please, for the love of God, not the Yankees.

The Braves garbage pen is going to waste a season of stellar offense.
          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
            Just please, for the love of God, not the Yankees.

The Braves garbage pen is going to waste a season of stellar offense.
            The Yankees donít have the pitching to win the WS. If the bats go cold, they could lose to the Twins in 5 games.

Comment

• Acuna starting to act like ole Manny. Smh
              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                Acuna starting to act like ole Manny. Smh
                I mean I know that's how everyone perceives it, especially after what happened in August but I honestly think he thought that ball was going foul. That's how I took it, I don't think he was hot dogging it because he thought it was gone. I also don't think the media needed to trip all over themselves to throw him under the bus either.
                "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• 1 win away from advancing for the first time in 18 years.
                  "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• So,.. how y'all holding up there Braves fans?? yikes...
                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• I mean...Christicles.

10 runs in the 1st inning.
                      It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• And just as everybody expected, the game was over before the Braves went to bat.

Comment

• Poor Kershaw. They shouldn’t have sent him back out for the 8th after that clutch K to end the 7th. He’s been hanging that slider and did just that to Soto. I didn’t have a problem w/ the one he threw Rendon...good pitch out of the strike zone that he went down and got

I knew 3 runs wouldn’t win the game and now the Dodgers have regressed to being a softball team. Lots of pretty foul balls before ultimately striking out in clutch spots. They couldn’t hit a curveball if their lives depended on it.

Congrats to the Nats if they pull this off but I don’t think they have the pitching to win a 7 game series. Then again, I didn’t think the Cards would decimate the Braves right out of the chute today.

Comment

• No Dodgers, no Boston,... my lord humanity can simply enjoy October now,.... LETS GO !!!!

Comment

• Nothing says tough guy like throwing at someone when you're up 13-1.

Please, Nats. Get it done.
                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Crazy how in baseball a team can struggle for 7/8 innings then come alive. Watched the late game off and on and felt the Dodgers would take it. Went to bed after the top of the 7th and wake up to find the Nationals pulled it out. Curious to see if TB can pull the upset.

Comment

• The Dodgers and Braves won 203 games combined. Their seasons are both over.

Play 162 games and your fate gets broken down to five games. Get in and give yourself a shot. It's a crap shoot.
                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• The Phillies have fired Gabe Kapler.

Timing is interesting.

Comment

• I really don't get why managers continue to go with bringing in pitchers on short rest. To my untrained eye, it seems to more times than not backfire. It backfired on the Astros when they brough in Verlander on short rest for Game 3. It's always backfired with Kershaw. You have a bullpen for a reason, let them do their thing, especially when you have Maeda and Janson as your 1-2 punch. With that being said I'm thrilled the Dodgers choked. Hate that team
                                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                        I really don't get why managers continue to go with bringing in pitchers on short rest. To my untrained eye, it seems to more times than not backfire. It backfired on the Astros when they brough in Verlander on short rest for Game 3. It's always backfired with Kershaw. You have a bullpen for a reason, let them do their thing, especially when you have Maeda and Janson as your 1-2 punch. With that being said I'm thrilled the Dodgers choked. Hate that team
                                        Roberts is a players coach and seems like a great guy to play for but he will be asked a million times about his pitching choices late. I didnít have a problem with him bringing in Kershaw to get Eaton out in the 6th. He strikes him out on three pitches & is fired up. Thatís when Roberts should congratulate him, hand him a towel & tell him to enjoy the rest of the game b/c heíd done his job. He had a bullpen full of millionaires that got paid to do what he needed Kershaw to do when sending him out for the 7th. Thatís when I cringed.

Maeda was lights out...3 Ks. Then Kelly came in to retire the side in the 8th. Great job! But Roberts goes to the well one time too many...again...when he sends Kelly back out for the 9th. Dumb. Game over.

Damn 1988 was a long time ago. That said, Iím trying to recapture my mindset of when I was a senior in high school and the Dodgers won the WS & ND won the NC. Back then it was ďgreat! AwesomeĒ and I got back to my life. Somewhere in between I took it a bit too seriously. Not so much w/ the Dodgers but definitely w/ ND. But the sun came up this morning & my family is healthy, I have a good job that provides food/shelter/clothing. And if SC upsets ND this Saturday...Iíll have to look at Sunday the same way...the sun will come up, my family is healthy & God has provided for us all.

Thereís always next year!

Comment

• Makes the heart happy:

Dodgers fans can be pretty, well, special,... as you can see non Dodgers LA baseball fans are having some fun today.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                            Makes the heart happy:

Dodgers fans can be pretty, well, special,... as you can see non Dodgers LA baseball fans are having some fun today.
                                            Iím not special & Iím proudly not from LA but Iíve loved the Dodgers my whole life. My dad grew up in the Midwest as a Brooklyn Dodgers fan so I inherited his love of the Dodgers & ND. I get a kick out of the memes. They earned them. Same when ND gets beaten...gotta take your medicine so it could really be a meme-filled weekend for fans like me if ND chokes.

Kershaw publicly took his medicine better than most would IMO. Kershaw haters donít want to admit it but heís an undeniable Hall-of-Famer that will carry with him his legacy of postseason failures. Facts donít care about feelings.

In my limited interaction w/ other baseball fans, the two fan groups most despised are the Cardinals & Cubs for different reasons obviously.

Comment

• I don’t know many Kershaw haters,... but some use him as a way to hate on the Dodgers I guess

Comment

I donít know many Kershaw haters,... but some use him as a way to hate on the Dodgers I guess
                                                You may be right. I donít live in Cali so I donít see a lot of Dodgers hate down south. Then again, if nobody ďhatesĒ your team...then itís probably not a very relevant team to begin with. Thatís what I tell people when they find out Iím an Irish fan...Ēone of the many reasons I love ND is b/c people like you hate NDĒ

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                  The Phillies have fired Gabe Kapler.

Timing is interesting.

When did he switch from comedy to managing a baseball team?

Comment

• Reading your last two posts, it sounds like you are counting on the Irish losing Saturday. You have an inside scoop? lol

I've been a Yankee fan since I was a wee lad. Living in Indy, I've always been surrounded by obnoxious Cubs fans. They loved to play the woe is me for all these years, but after finally winning when you tell them they are now just like every other team that has won the WS the get offended.

Glad the Pinstripes are back in the playoffs. Been a while since a ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                      Been a while since a ring.
                                                      L

O

L

Comment

Reading your last two posts, it sounds like you are counting on the Irish losing Saturday. You have an inside scoop? lol

I've been a Yankee fan since I was a wee lad. Living in Indy, I've always been surrounded by obnoxious Cubs fans. They loved to play the woe is me for all these years, but after finally winning when you tell them they are now just like every other team that has won the WS the get offended.

Glad the Pinstripes are back in the playoffs. Been a while since a ring.
                                                        Nah, I just said WHEN (meaning in the past or the future) ND loses, I have to take my medicine as a fan. Didn’t mean to imply I thought they’d lose this Saturday although anything can happen in the SCum rivalry. ND is the better team & should win.

Comment

L

O

L
                                                          It's all in your perspective.

Comment

• 7-0 in the 1st inning of game 4 for the Nats. Wow sorry cards.

Comment

7-0 in the 1st inning of game 4 for the Nats. Wow sorry cards.
                                                              Karma finding balance after Game 5.
                                                              It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                Karma finding balance after Game 5.
                                                                Unfortunately the Cards are like a STD and don't go away.

Comment

7-0 in the 1st inning of game 4 for the Nats. Wow sorry cards.
                                                                  I'm not. That fat f**k Molina and the whole "Cardinals Way" can go pound sand after Molina ran and chucked his bat into the outfield at Acuna in game 4 and they were targeting Acuna late in the game while up 12 runs. If that's the "Cardinals Way" they can go eat d**k.

Comment

• Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                                                    Unfortunately the Cards are like a STD and don't go away.
                                                                    A game is never over with Cards luck and Nats propensity for choking.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                      A game is never over with Cards luck and Nats propensity for choking.
                                                                      Hey they hung on. Congrats on the Nats season. The Cards can join the rest of us on the couch watching.

Comment

• Congrats Nats. You think Bryce Harper is rethinking his decision? Idk how that actually went down.

Probably will be rooting for the Astros here on out though.

Comment

I'm not. That fat f**k Molina and the whole "Cardinals Way" can go pound sand after Molina ran and chucked his bat into the outfield at Acuna in game 4 and they were targeting Acuna late in the game while up 12 runs. If that's the "Cardinals Way" they can go eat d**k.
                                                                          I agree. That video of the coach after they beat the Braves got released. Hey coach you just got skunked haha. And Molina has always been a mouth piece.

Comment

Congrats Nats. You think Bryce Harper is rethinking his decision? Idk how that actually went down.

Also pulling for the Astros. I think Harper may regret his decision but I don't think the Nats do or will. I think Harper is overrated and his contract is an albatross.

Comment

I agree. That video of the coach after they beat the Braves got released. Hey coach you just got skunked haha. And Molina has always been a mouth piece.
                                                                              I really don't take any issue with Shildt's words. I mean it's a locker room, I assume stuff like that is said all the time. But Molina and some of the players? They can go get bent. Also the Braves as an organization showed themselves to be cowards by banning the Chop hours before the biggest game in the last 18 years all because an opposing pitcher had some things to say about it. They can go pound sand too. At least Helsley didn't get his feelings hurt though.

Comment

Congrats Nats. You think Bryce Harper is rethinking his decision? Idk how that actually went down.

The best decision the Nats ever made was refusing to seriously bid on Harper. Heís a good player, but he is not worth the money he is being paid. The power dynamics with him on the roster were also questionable... he and Boras had an inordinate amount of influence on decision making, and thatís not a good thing.

Comment

• Nice to see a new face in the WS. Now my Yankees need to figure a way to get to the Astro's pitching. It's only 2-1, but feels more like 3-1.

Comment

• Stros/Nats would be a starting pitching matchup for the ages,...

Comment

Nice to see a new face in the WS. Now my Yankees need to figure a way to get to the Astro's pitching. It's only 2-1, but feels more like 3-1.
                                                                                      Does a rain out today help or hurt the Yankees? I think both teams were planning on a bullpen day.

Comment

• Angels hire Maddon if anyone cares.... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                          Angels hire Maddon if anyone cares.... :)
                                                                                          All the important people care....

Comment

I really don't take any issue with Shildt's words. I mean it's a locker room, I assume stuff like that is said all the time. But Molina and some of the players? They can go get bent. Also the Braves as an organization showed themselves to be cowards by banning the Chop hours before the biggest game in the last 18 years all because an opposing pitcher had some things to say about it. They can go pound sand too. At least Helsley didn't get his feelings hurt though.
                                                                                            Again i agree with everything you said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                              Angels hire Maddon if anyone cares.... :)
                                                                                              Nope.

They could lose 20-0 and he'll say it was positive. The guy is a motivational poster you've seen 100 times in the lobby of your kid's dentist office.

Comment

I doubt he is. He's going to get a boatload of money.

He took a better financial deal, but he's an athlete, so people shit on him for doing it. I get it. I've moved on. I'm enjoying the Nationals without worrying about Harper, especially since they jettisoned the Cardinals. I consider us all winners for that.

The Nationals are no fluke. When they got healthy they took off running. They spent a good deal of the season without Rendon and some others, but once they had a full roster they cruised to something like a 75-48 record.

Comment

Nope.

They could lose 20-0 and he'll say it was positive. The guy is a motivational poster you've seen 100 times in the lobby of your kid's dentist office.
                                                                                                  LMAO...yeah, pretty much. I've never been a big Maddon fan going back to his days in Tampa.

Comment

Nope.

Maddon is a legit good manager though.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                                      The best decision the Nats ever made was refusing to seriously bid on Harper. Heís a good player, but he is not worth the money he is being paid. The power dynamics with him on the roster were also questionable... he and Boras had an inordinate amount of influence on decision making, and thatís not a good thing.
                                                                                                      Thatís fine but they need to move on. Celebrate your success and win the WS...donít waste energy rubbing Harperís nose in the fact he left. Be better than that.

Nats' success shouldn't be about Bryce Harper
                                                                                                      By Bill Baer | Oct 16, 2019 7:45 PM CDT

Bryce Harper turns 27 years old today. As an early birthday present, he got to watch his former team reach the World Series for the first time in franchise history. His new team finished exactly at .500 in fourth place, missing the playoffs. These were facts that did not go unnoticed as the Nationals completed an NLCS sweep of the Cardinals at home last night.

Harper spent seven seasons with the Nationals before hitting free agency and ultimately signing with the Phillies on a 13-million, $330 million contract. The Nationals offered Harper a 10-year, $300 million contract at the end of the 2018 regular season, but about $100 million of that was deferred until he was 65 which lowered the present-day value of the offer. The Natsí offer wasnít even in the same ballpark, really.

Nevertheless, Nationals fans were upset that their prodigy jilted them to go to the Phillies. He was mercilessly booed whenever the Phillies played in D.C. Nats fansí Harper jerseys were destroyed, or at least taped over.

Harper, of course, was phenomenal with the Nationals. He won the NL Rookie of the Year Award in 2012, then won the NL MVP Award several years later with an historically outstanding 1.109 OPS while leading the league with 42 homers and 118 runs scored. Overall, as a National, he had a .900 OPS. Pretty good. He was also productive in the postseason, posting an .801 OPS across 19 games, mostly against playoff teamsí best starters and best relievers. Furthermore, if the Nats had Harper this year, he would have been in right field in lieu of Adam Eaton. Harper out OPSíd Eaton by 90 points and posted 2.5 more WAR in a similar amount of playing time. The Nationals would have been even better if they had Harper this year.

The Nationals lost all four Division Series they appeared in during the Harper era. 3-2 to the Cardinals in 2012, 3-1 to the Giants in í14, 3-2 to the Dodgers in í16, and 3-2 to the Cubs in í17. They finally get over the hump the first year theyíre without Harper, thatís the difference, right? I saw the phrase ďaddition by subtractionĒ repeatedly last night, referring to Harper and the Natsí subsequent success without him.

Harper, though, didnít fork over four runs to the Cardinals in the top of the ninth inning in Game 5 in 2012. He didnít allow the Dodgers to rally for four runs in the seventh inning of Game 5 in í16 before ultimately losing 4-3. He didnít use a gassed Max Scherzer in relief in 2017ís Game 5, when he allowed five of the seven Cubs he faced to reach base, leading to three runs which loomed large in a 9-8 loss. If certain rolls of the dice in those years had gone the Nationalsí way, they would have appeared in the NLCS. They mightíve even been able to win a World Series.

The Nationals saw how that looks this year. It was the opposing manager this time, Dave Roberts, who mismanaged his bullpen. Howie Kendrick then hit a tie-breaking grand slam in the 10th inning off of Joe Kelly to win the NLDS for the Nats. The playoffs are random. Sometimes a ball bounces your way, sometimes an umpireís call goes your way, and sometimes the opposing manager makes several unforced errors to throw Game 5 in your lap.

Reaching the World Series, then thumbing your nose while sticking out your tongue at Harper feels like a guy tagging his ex-girlfriend on his new wedding photos. Itís time to move on.

Follow @Baer_Bill

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X