No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the Trop just lost power,... not sure if it’s an area or stadium issue but it’s messing with my Halo viewing!!!
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Obtain just hit for the cycle
      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• We've yet to see what Ohtani can do at full health. Think about that for a second. Much of his production in the USA has come with a torn or surgically repaired right ulnar collateral ligament.
        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
          We've yet to see what Ohtani can do at full health. Think about that for a second. Much of his production in the USA has come with a torn or surgically repaired right ulnar collateral ligament.
          He's a beast,... been a pleasure watching him day after day.

Comment

• White Sox are going with protective netting from foul pole to foul pole. One down, 29 to go.

The "America is going soft" parade is out in full force on social media over this. I have yet to see a lucid thought arguing why this is bad. Just pissing and moaning.

I didn't know so many keyboard warriors have the reflexes to pay attention and handle a ball coming at their face barehanded with an exit velocity of 115 MPH. Why are these dudes on Twitter and Facebook when they should be getting tryouts in the minors?

Anyway, baseball is awesome and people are stupid. It's Wednesday.
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
              White Sox are going with protective netting from foul pole to foul pole. One down, 29 to go.

The "America is going soft" parade is out in full force on social media over this. I have yet to see a lucid thought arguing why this is bad. Just pissing and moaning.

I didn't know so many keyboard warriors have the reflexes to pay attention and handle a ball coming at their face barehanded with an exit velocity of 115 MPH. Why are these dudes on Twitter and Facebook when they should be getting tryouts in the minors?

Anyway, baseball is awesome and people are stupid. It's Wednesday.
              Im happy to hear that Chicago is protecting all 214 fans in their park!! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                Im happy to hear that Chicago is protecting all 214 fans in their park!! ;)
                They value human life.

Comment

• After what happened to that little girl at the Astros/Cubs game in Houston, and the older woman who passed away at the Dodgers game last year, I struggle to understand why more teams haven't followed suit.

It's as though traditionalists struggle to grasp common sense. At some point, your unlikely odds of catching a foul ball aren't as important as the safety of the fans.

I would be willing to bet that the old lady and the young girl weren't typing way at their phones, either. Little girl was probably distracted...like most little kids are (especially in that environment), and the old lady's reflexes probably weren't what they used to be.

Even so, the shot the cubs player hit foul that struck the girl was an absolute missile. I have to imagine any poster on this board would have had a hard time handling that rope if they were paying 100% attention during our peak years.

Change isn't always bad. I know baseball is rich in tradition but players weren't always throwing the ball 95 mph with an even higher exit velocity.
                  My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                    After what happened to that little girl at the Astros/Cubs game in Houston, and the older woman who passed away at the Dodgers game last year, I struggle to understand why more teams haven't followed suit.

It's as though traditionalists struggle to grasp common sense. At some point, your unlikely odds of catching a foul ball aren't as important as the safety of the fans.

I would be willing to bet that the old lady and the young girl weren't typing way at their phones, either. Little girl was probably distracted...like most little kids are (especially in that environment), and the old lady's reflexes probably weren't what they used to be.

Even so, the shot the cubs player hit foul that struck the girl was an absolute missile. I have to imagine any poster on this board would have had a hard time handling that rope if they were paying 100% attention during our peak years.

Change isn't always bad. I know baseball is rich in tradition but players weren't always throwing the ball 95 mph with an even higher exit velocity.

This.

People enjoy the game live in a far different way than they do at home. Not everyone has a phone out, and even if you don't, there are "LOOK LOOK" amenities all over a ballpark or stadium. Take Wrigley and Fenway for example. Significantly expensive upgrades have been made at both parks over the years, including massive scoreboard screens with all of the bells and whistles included.

Your eyes adjust sitting behind netting. It isn't a big deal. If it is a big deal, sit in the bleachers or upper deck. Or stay home. The ball is juiced, the bats are being manufactured to suit hitters and the players are hitting the ball harder than ever before. It's a recipe for disaster. Many of the players want this.

Baseball is unique in this respect. Someone needs to be proactive before more people get hurt and or die.

Also, Ned Yost is bad.

Comment

• Hockey went through the same thing,... El Paso has full netting and it’s an eyesore for all of the first five minutes until you get used to it

Comment

• Tampa Bay has been given permission to look into playing the first half of the season in TB and the second half in Montreal. I'm not 100% sure what that is I'm smelling, but I'm thinking it's failure. They'd better off moving to Montreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                          Tampa Bay has been given permission to look into playing the first half of the season in TB and the second half in Montreal. I'm not 100% sure what that is I'm smelling, but I'm thinking it's failure. They'd better off moving to Montreal.
                          For how long though? I mean, Montreal was the worst in the NL in home attendance weren't they? So sure, for the honeymoon period of a year, maybe two they'd have better attendance, but let's face it... Not a full time solution. The biggest problem, though there are a few, is the fact that since 2014 they've had 1 winning season (last year, which is usually enough to maybe get a WC berth, but the AL was so strong last year). Also, isn't Tampa building a new stadium? Might help the fans some.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                            For how long though? I mean, Montreal was the worst in the NL in home attendance weren't they? So sure, for the honeymoon period of a year, maybe two they'd have better attendance, but let's face it... Not a full time solution. The biggest problem, though there are a few, is the fact that since 2014 they've had 1 winning season (last year, which is usually enough to maybe get a WC berth, but the AL was so strong last year). Also, isn't Tampa building a new stadium? Might help the fans some.
                            My dad actually brought up this solution a few months back. So Tampa has a dogshit stadium, but I dont think they are suddenly going to become a beloved team in Florida. Letting them play 40 home games a year in Montreal seems kinda neat. I bet they'd love to have a team again.

My dad's suggestion was northern small market teams sort of adopt a southern city for the first month or two of the season until it is reliably good weather for baseball. This seems to be a relatively similar approach.
                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

They were doing fine prestike the strike killed their best ever season ( they prob would have won the World Series) and the base just gave up after they came back and had to sell off the team. I never really blamed them

Comment

• 1. Yoelkis Cespedes, Yoenis' younger brother, reportedly defects from Cuba, is looking to sign with MLB team

2. The 2019 ball is different. Surprise surprise. Rounder, smoother leather, smaller, lower seams and more centered core. They had to stop the players from pumping horse hormones into themselves, so they are designing a ball that can orbit the moon instead. Smart thinking.

Also, if you go to a game, "put your phone down" and "pay attention" because we all have the reflexes to snag one of these things barehanded as it comes off a bat at 115 MPH exit velocity. We're becoming so soft, you know.

3. Ned Yost = bad.

Comment

• Does a home run ever get counted as an error. I feel like Bellinger's today would have been called an error if it stayed in the field.

Comment

• Happy Bobby Bonilla Day.

Comment

• Almost cried just now, Tyler Skaggs just died, no word on how... feels like Nick Adenhart all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                        Almost cried just now, Tyler Skaggs just died, no word on how... feels like Nick Adenhart all over again.
                                        Terrible news. RIP.

Comment

• Horrible news. Far too young.

Comment

• Proud of my boys tonight, she’d a little tear at the end. Hope LaStella isn’t seriously hurt tho,...

Comment

• The Pirates are raking the Cubs after two games. Cubs this year when trailing after four innings: 5-27. That's not good.

I feel like I need to see every Josh Bell at bat.

Comment

• One of my fav nights of the year every year,...

Comment

One of my fav nights of the year every year,...
                                                  Who you got tonight, ACamp? I know Bell and Alonso are the sexy picks, but I think itíll be Joc Peterson or maybe Vlad Jr. Either way it should be a fun squad to watch tonight.

My only complaint is that Joey Gallo isnít hitting. He should be in it.

Comment

• I picked Chapman but there was some randomness to it,... dude is a grinder so who knows. Wish Ohtani was in it

Comment

• Lol,... should have known Vladdy would go off

Comment

• Wtf just happened,... lol

Comment

• That was fun

Comment

That was fun
                                                            Unreal Homerun Derby!. Vlad deserved to win but his HR record will probably stand for along time if not forever

Comment

• They definitely put on a good show last night. I feel if Alonso had a better batting practice pitcher that his total HR numbers would have been higher. They guy pitching to him was horrible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• They definitely put on a good show last night. I feel if Alonso had a better batting practice pitcher that his total HR numbers would have been higher. They guy pitching to him was horrible...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                  Who you got tonight, ACamp? I know Bell and Alonso are the sexy picks, but I think itíll be Joc Peterson or maybe Vlad Jr. Either way it should be a fun squad to watch tonight.

My only complaint is that Joey Gallo isnít hitting. He should be in it.
                                                                  Wow itís almost like I knew that Vlad and Peterson would put together the best round in HR Derby history

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                    They definitely put on a good show last night. I feel if Alonso had a better batting practice pitcher that his total HR numbers would have been higher. They guy pitching to him was horrible...

Yeah he and Chapman had pitches all over the place... part of Vlad and Joc was their guys (Sure miss Ebel with the Halos) were far more consistent.

Comment

• That was a ton of fun.

I thought to myself at one point last night that baseball is in a real good place with this current crop of stars.

Comment

Yeah he and Chapman had pitches all over the place... part of Vlad and Joc was their guys (Sure miss Ebel with the Halos) were far more consistent.
                                                                        I think Chapman's dad pitched to him, no? I felt bad for him, he looked more nervous than those trying to bomb HRs.

Comment

I think Chapman's dad pitched to him, no? I felt bad for him, he looked more nervous than those trying to bomb HRs.
                                                                          Yeah, it's happened before though... I think Vladdy got to both of them, but really they still had a good showing.

Comment

• Love that the officials were not enforcing the actual rule of not pitching until the ball lands. I loved seeing several bombs in the air at the same time. Horrible for TV tho as I think the camera people were doing everything they could to keep up but were asked to do the impossible. Didn't have to see them all in the air but it was cool to hear the reactions of the fans so you knew that the ones not on camera were "touched" well.

Major props to Cleveland. Place was amped all night. Represented well I thought.
                                                                            Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                                                                              Love that the officials were not enforcing the actual rule of not pitching until the ball lands.
                                                                              Co-signed.

Comment

• Vlad Jr has the most violent swing I’ve seen in a long time...maybe ever.

Joc had the smoothest/prettiest swing of the participants (helps being LH), so it was interesting to see him & VLad Jr battle.

Alonso’s & Chapman’s #s were hurt by their BP pitchers. It’s still gotta be a helluva thrill for Alonso’s cousin & Chapman’s dad to be out there.

I love youthful talent & their exuberance...it breathes new life into an old game...but they do need to address the baseballs.

Comment

• Vlad Jr has the most violent swing Iíve seen in a long time...maybe ever.

Joc had the smoothest/prettiest swing of the participants (helps being LH), so it was interesting to see him & VLad Jr battle.

Alonsoís & Chapmanís #s were hurt by their BP pitchers. Itís still gotta be a helluva thrill for Alonsoís cousin & Chapmanís dad to be out there.

I love youthful talent & their exuberance...it breathes new life into an old game...but they do need to address the baseballs.

Comment

• I don't think it's just the baseball, if at all... I know it's all in the news but Max Scherzer, among others, is out there swearing the ball hasn't changed. Strikeouts are way up too, pitchers who throw above 95 are way up too. Players with swings that are all or nothing home run hitters are WAY up, launch angle and all that.

If the ball has changed in any significant way it's just one of a long list of factors here imo. Harder throwing pitchers (ball carries further when contacted well), harder swinging batters with designed 'launch angles'... it's just the game today. Analytics brought us here more than the ball imo. I mean how many All Stars tonight are true spray/contact hitters??? Any of them??
                                                                                    Last edited by ACamp1900; 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I don't think it's just the baseball, if at all... I know it's all in the news but Max Scherzer, among others, is out there swearing the ball hasn't changed. Strikeouts are way up too, pitchers who throw above 95 are way up too. Players with swings that are all or nothing home run hitters are WAY up, launch angle and all that.

If the ball has changed in any significant way it's just one of a long list of factors here imo. Harder throwing pitchers (ball carries further when contacted well), harder swinging batters with designed 'launch angles'... it's just the game today. Analytics brought us here more than the ball imo. I mean how many All Stars tonight are true spray/contact hitters??? Any of them??
                                                                                      You're absolutely right about the analytics. It's driving a bunch of the sports now. Look at the increase in the 3, it's not just because of Curry. Golf is being heavily driven by numbers these days as well.

Comment

I don't think it's just the baseball, if at all... I know it's all in the news but Max Scherzer, among others, is out there swearing the ball hasn't changed. Strikeouts are way up too, pitchers who throw above 95 are way up too. Players with swings that are all or nothing home run hitters are WAY up, launch angle and all that.

McNeil from the Mets is that type of hitter, got in due to his average.

You're absolutely right though, true "hitters" are harder to find these days. I forget who said it on the broadcast last night (Teixeira maybe??), he mentioned something along the lines of guys nowadays know they aren't going to string hits together on a guy like Verlander to score runs, so you have to swing for the fences with the hopes of making an instant impact.

Comment

• Tony Clark wants to do away with the MLB Draft. Manfred said nothing has been done to the ball but if they do make future modifications they'll let us know.

I think there is going to be another strike based on what I've heard today. This next CBA is really going to be something if the two sides are where they are on just these particular issues alone.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNK1yzuq4g8

Two game suspension for this.

Comment

• First game back from the worst road trip in team history... everyone wearing Skaggs’ jersey and you drop a seven spot in the first inning!!! That’s how you do it Halos!!! Let’s Go!!!

Comment

First game back from the worst road trip in team history... everyone wearing Skaggsí jersey and you drop a seven spot in the first inning!!! Thatís how you do it Halos!!! Letís Go!!!
                                                                                                Rally Monkey please...

Comment

• Crazy night, three outs away from a no no first game back from Skaggs passing,...

Comment

• I’ve never cried at an Angels game, I teared up just now
                                                                                                    Last edited by ACamp1900; 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Everyone wore 45 and everyone just dropped their jerseys at the mound straight Rudy style.... crying now

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X