No announcement yet.

The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel fan boards have been hysterical... Tommy LaStella was the worst player in baseball history 72 hours ago... and the worst thing to happen to Angels baseball in decades,... now he's this baseball gawd who will carry us to the pennant... lol
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
      This whole thing speaks so strongly to the issue I have with current baseball... the modern game (blame analytics, LaRussa or whatever) sucks for the average fan. I used to battle up when people said baseball was boring.... it kind of is now. No hit and runs, rarely steal, rarely hit to contact (which plays in here)... In any other era Davis would be choking up, adjusting his swing, making contact and would have snapped out of this thing weeks ago. In this era however, stay you son, keep swinging for that fence because some computer nerd ran a program that insists you score more runs that way...

All this talk of shortening games and younger viewers... you want to do that without changing the rules and flow of the game? Move away from the analytical 'swing for the fences on every pitch and make no adjustments at the plate' approach and move away from the obsessive LaRussa style pitch count and take your time between each pitch style of managing and find a way to promote the Whitey Herzog, early 80's Cardinals style where there is action almost every inning, runs scored or not... and trust your pitchers to do their damned jobs.

PS: I love Joey Votto.
      I am with you man
      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Just saw the highlight of Billy Hamilton scoring from second on a sac fly.... now THAT was pretty awesome, even if the CF should have never let it happen.
        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Just saw the highlight of Billy Hamilton scoring from second on a sac fly.... now THAT was pretty awesome, even if the CF should have never let it happen.
          Yeah, that was a bit embarrassing. Got to know how many outs.

Comment

• Geez,... show some pride Halos... who dafaq is Mike a Minor??? Made some triple A whoever look like Cy Young.

Comment

• Tim Anderson got what he deserved yesterday and probably got lucky. You do that stupid bat flip shit and try to show up a pitcher you sure as he’ll be prepared to take a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                Tim Anderson got what he deserved yesterday and probably got lucky. You do that stupid bat flip shit and try to show up a pitcher you sure as heíll be prepared to take a shot.
                I don't get this thinking. Pitchers are supposed to be offended when someone expresses after hitting a home run but batters aren't supposed to be offended for taking a hit to their body. The bat flip/showboat celebration does absolutely no harm physically to any fielder or pitcher. All it does is damage an ego. Getting hit by a baseball has the potential to do any kind of physical harm to a player. Makes no sense to me.
                Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                  Is it too early to believe this could be some crazy magical season yet for the Mariners?
                  Yes.

Go Tribe
                  Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                    I don't get this thinking. Pitchers are supposed to be offended when someone expresses after hitting a home run but batters aren't supposed to be offended for taking a hit to their body. The bat flip/showboat celebration does absolutely no harm physically to any fielder or pitcher. All it does is damage an ego. Getting hit by a baseball has the potential to do any kind of physical harm to a player. Makes no sense to me.
                    I love the different takes here, it leads to more conflict(s) and I'm all for the occasional bench clearer... I still remember years back jigga and others were on here talking about how only meat heads like hitting batters and scrums and I silently read it all like, "Ya'll need to find another sport before you ruin baseball..." lol

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                      If a pitcher strikes him out and dances off the mound you sure as he’ll know that he is gonna to say something to the pitcher. If you hit a home run and stand there and watch it that’s fine but he literally threw the bat from the plate to almost the dig out. You try to show someone up like that you will pay for it. It brings the spice back to to baseball.

And the league is almost promoting bat flips so when the league is encouraging the bats to show the pitchers up you know the pitchers are going to take action. I like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                        If a pitcher strikes him out and dances off the mound you sure as heíll know that he is gonna to say something to the pitcher. If you hit a home run and stand there and watch it thatís fine but he literally threw the bat from the plate to almost the dig out. You try to show someone up like that you will pay for it. It brings the spice back to to baseball.

And the league is almost promoting bat flips so when the league is encouraging the bats to show the pitchers up you know the pitchers are going to take action. I like it.
                        See the difference between the two though? A batter can only say something back which has zero implications for getting physically injured. If pitchers and catchers want to talk back after a bat flip when the hitter is rounding the bases be my guest. Certainly would be entertaining to see a catcher standing right by the plate ready to say something or even go in a brawl. I just donít like the idea of a pitcher retaliating by throwing an object 95 mphs intentionally at someoneís body. Itís not a proportionate response and pretty unfair to hitters. Especially if that ball were to even come close to someoneís head or God forbid actually hit someoneís head and cause some kind of permanent damage.
                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• The Redbirds are doing pretty well so far. I think they're tied for top of the NL Central, which is turning into every bit of the meat grinder that every expected. Also as of last night they have the highest run differential in the NL at +30. Here's to beating the Brewers again today!

Also, Jordan Hicks is a bad bad man.

Comment

• Angels are starting to feel like the Browns and the Browns are starting to feel like the Angels.... crazy times.

The halos have needed pitching in the worst way for at least three years running and other than cast offs from other teams they simply won't address it in any real way.... surreal.

Comment

• Still can't rap my head around the shift. If a guy is making multi millions per year and cant lay down a bunt or slap something the other way...wtf

Comment

• Originally posted by loomis41973 View Post
                                Still can't rap my head around the shift. If a guy is making multi millions per year and cant lay down a bunt or slap something the other way...wtf
                                Analytics say not to...

Comment

Analytics say not to...
                                  Right. It's along the same line as with basketball. 3>2. The increase of the 3 pointer over the last 5 or so years correlates to the understanding that hitting 35 three pointers makes out better than hitting 50 layups.

Comment

• I'm convinced some math nerds who hate sports were sitting around drinking, discussing how they could ruin sports forever for all the 'dumb jocks'... they ultimately came up with a master plan they called, "analytics"....

Comment

• The Indians still suck

Comment

• Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                                        The Indians still suck
                                        The whole AL Central does....I'm not convinced my Tigers are a .500 team and the Twins had a hot start in the division at 6-1, and I'm not sold on them.

Still the Indians' division to lose this year.
                                        My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Sweeps are hard. Yelich didn't even get a hit this series, which is a minor miracle

Comment

• Suck it, Dodgers.

W

Comment

• Yanks given like five strikes an at bat tonight, it’s ridiculous and I’m no yankee hater

Comment

• Simba is a fucking pimp,... if we could have one Trout and eight Simbas we’d be set

Comment

• Angels get the sweep:

Survive this next road trip, get the big O back (He's supposed to come back right after this next trip) and we may just have a decent season... lets go!!

Comment

• Given all the injuries, the Yankees are doing a good job of hanging around.

Comment

• Straight gem by Hendricks and the Cubs today.

Comment

• Canning looks good thus far and now the big O is back. Okay, let's see what these guys can do.

Comment

• Tribe still sucks

Comment

• You clowns ready to buy stock in the Twins yet??

Lmaooo these boys rock. Hitting dingers and getting quality pitching for dayz
                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Twins have been a good team every year aside from one for five years running. I don't think anyone outside the coasts doesn't think they can continue this.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                                You clowns ready to buy stock in the Twins yet??

Lmaooo these boys rock. Hitting dingers and getting quality pitching for dayz
                                                                I'm getting there, lol.

(I'm saying this with my tail tucked with the upcoming series this weekend)

Comment

• We are clearly past the point of having to put Ned Yost out to pasture. There is no longer a reason for him to be managing anywhere.
                                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• I was really looking forward to a repeat of this, but with Derek Dietrich

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hang this in the Louvre. <a href="https://t.co/2ArAXSEOqf">pic.twitter.com/2ArAXSEOqf</a></p>&mdash; Cut4 (@Cut4) <a href="https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1114965703541559298?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2019</a></blockquote>
                                                                    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But the Pirates got a lead and then hit Suarez, instead Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I understand that Dietrich pimped the shit out of his homer(s), but the whole deal started because Archer acts like a goon every time he gets a strikeout... if you're gonna act like that when you get a K, maybe don't get all butthurt when someone goes yard on you, and then respond by throwing behind them.

The "unwritten rules" of baseball are largely bullshit, especially when you consider the built-in protections for pitchers when retaliation incidents flare up.

Comment

Twins have been a good team every year aside from one for five years running. I don't think anyone outside the coasts doesn't think they can continue this.
                                                                      The Twins havent been good for a long time now. They have occasionally been good enough to look okay considering the division is trash.

This year it looks like they are actually for real though. Cross your fingers!
                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

The Twins havent been good for a long time now. They have occasionally been good enough to look okay considering the division is trash.

Gotta give props to their pitching coach, Wes Johnson. This time last year, he was directing the Arkansas Razorbacks pitching staff to the College World Series finale and now heís in the bigs. Itís weird, I grew up playing with and against Wes & he never pitched. Went to Dallas Baptist and trained under their pitching guru who emphasized bio-mechanics, etc. After turning around Mississippi Stís staff, the Hogs plucked him. If his success continues, weíll see a new trend in hiring from the college ranks assuming they utilize similar analytics and engineering.

Comment

I guess it depends on your definition of good... they've only been BAD once in the last number of years...

Comment

I guess it depends on your definition of good... they've only been BAD once in the last number of years...
                                                                            They've had trouble getting above .500 in the worst division in baseball. My standard for them is pretty reasonable.

You are right about the being BAD. Wallowing in mediocrity is just as bad to be as bring terrible. Boys havent won a playoff series for like 15 years.
                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                              The "unwritten rules" of baseball are largely bullshit, especially when you consider the built-in protections for pitchers when retaliation incidents flare up.
                                                                              Not largely. They just are bullshit.

Hence my Ned Yost post.
                                                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• No division championship since 2010 BUT the Twins were 85-77 in 2017 and lost the Wild Card Game that year.

The best thing they could have done was hire someone from the intelligent Tampa Rays organization, and they did that in hiring Rocco Baldelli. He's not that far removed from being a player at 37 years of age.

They have some good infrastructure there now and with the Indians falling off in the midst of the three other clubs in the Central doing rebuilds, the timing looks pretty good for them. A 10 game lead in the loss column headed into June is nothing to ignore. Consider the shitty weather in the Midwest they've endured to this point.

They certainly seem for real based on these past couple of weeks.

Comment

• Baldelli being a coach melts my mind... seems like he was just the 'top prospect in baseball' just a few years ago...

Comment

Baldelli being a coach melts my mind... seems like he was just the 'top prospect in baseball' just a few years ago...
                                                                                    When the Twins hired him I read his wikipedia page. Felt really sad afterwards. Poor guy had a tough time. Hoping he sticks in Minnesota for awhile.
                                                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Baldelli being a coach melts my mind... seems like he was just the 'top prospect in baseball' just a few years ago...
                                                                                      Oh yeah, and with Joe DiMaggio comps to go with it.

He and Gabe Kapler are two of the better recent hires in MLB. Curious to see how it all goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                        No division championship since 2010 BUT the Twins were 85-77 in 2017 and lost the Wild Card Game that year.

The best thing they could have done was hire someone from the intelligent Tampa Rays organization, and they did that in hiring Rocco Baldelli. He's not that far removed from being a player at 37 years of age.

They have some good infrastructure there now and with the Indians falling off in the midst of the three other clubs in the Central doing rebuilds, the timing looks pretty good for them. A 10 game lead in the loss column headed into June is nothing to ignore. Consider the shitty weather in the Midwest they've endured to this point.

They certainly seem for real based on these past couple of weeks.
                                                                                        The Tigers were pretty dominant in the decade between '06 and '16 and took advantage of the weak division, to be fair. We really missed our chance. Collective 1-8 in two world series appearances, along with the heart breaking series in Boston in 2013, when Torii Hunter flipped over the wall on Big Papi's grand slammer.

I'm okay with the power shift from Cleveland to the Twins. Outside of the Indians I typically pull for the division.

Can't stand that drum, one of the most annoying antics in sports. I'll never return after my single trip to Progressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                                                          Can't stand that drum, one of the most annoying antics in sports. I'll never return after my single trip to Progressive.
                                                                                          Try being a Halo fan and having your biggest rival being the Oakland A's... if you're not aware of the noise that goes on up there, feel lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                                                            The Tigers were pretty dominant in the decade between '06 and '16 and took advantage of the weak division, to be fair. We really missed our chance. Collective 1-8 in two world series appearances, along with the heart breaking series in Boston in 2013, when Torii Hunter flipped over the wall on Big Papi's grand slammer.

I'm okay with the power shift from Cleveland to the Twins. Outside of the Indians I typically pull for the division.

It has always seemed like the "Battle of the Tallest Midget" in the AL Central. Tigers had a nice run from 2011-14. Royals had their brief stint there where they won it all.

2006 was the best. Chicago came in third and won 90 games. There was only wild card then.

Comment

• 2019 MLB Draft Tracker

Comment

• Happy Monday Irish Envy Baseball Fans,

Just a reminder that Ned Yost fucking sucks.

Also, Max Muncy telling Madison Bumgarner to go scratch is a wonderful moment in baseball history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                                  Happy Monday Irish Envy Baseball Fans,

Just a reminder that Ned Yost fucking sucks.

Also, Max Muncy telling Madison Bumgarner to go scratch is a wonderful moment in baseball history.
                                                                                                  Yeah, everyone in the press complains about this stuff... honestly baseball needs more of this, not less. Just my two cents.

Comment

• I have no issue with MadBum (or any pitcher) getting upset....but I also love that Muncy told him to eff off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Joe View Post
                                                                                                      I have no issue with MadBum (or any pitcher) getting upset....but I also love that Muncy told him to eff off.
                                                                                                      yup

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X