Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 is the year of bad, expensive teams

Orioles slugger Chris Davis is in the midst of a historically bad season

MLB Batting Stats, 2018 - Sortable by WAR (Winnings Above Replacement)
    Worst?
    1. Alcides Escobar, KC -- WAR -1.9 (320 ABs)
    2. Victor Martinez, Det -- WAR -1.4 (292 ABs)
    3. Dexter Fowler, St.L -- WAR -1.4 (230 ABs)

MLB Player Pitching Stats - 2018 (Sortable by ERA)
    By highest ERAs, KC's four starting pitchers are in the top seven in the AL.
    Last edited by Legacy; 07-13-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
      2018 is the year of bad, expensive teams

Orioles slugger Chris Davis is in the midst of a historically bad season

MLB Batting Stats, 2018 - Sortable by WAR (Winnings Above Replacement)
      Worst?
      1. Alcides Escobar, KC -- WAR -1.9 (320 ABs)
      2. Victor Martinez, Det -- WAR -1.4 (292 ABs)
      3. Dexter Fowler, St.L -- WAR -1.4 (230 ABs)

MLB Player Pitching Stats - 2018 (Sortable by ERA)
      By highest ERAs, KC's four starting pitchers are in the top seven in the AL.

Theres a reason a bar in Baltimore has been paying people tabs if they are drinking in there during a game Chris Davis gets a base hit.

Comment

• Dude, the Derby just now... Schwar and Hos put on a show there in round 2
        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Harper was absolutely CRUSHING the ball round 1. (P.S. Come to Atlanta next year Bryce)
          "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
            Dude, the Derby just now... Schwar and Hos put on a show there in round 2

That was incredible

Comment

• Schwarbs smashing it.

Please trade him to the AL.

Comment

• Turned out to be a great derby considering all the complaining about it heading in...
                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Turned out to be a great derby considering all the complaining about it heading in...
                  Not a fan of the format, but was entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by loomis41973 View Post
                    Not a fan of the format, but was entertaining.
                    I think itís so much better now... not that I hated it previously but yeah.

Comment

• Freeman is a very good hitter however the home run derby was not worth him getting involved.
                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Padres announced they will return to their own color combos in a few years to the joy of much of their fan base (they've been clamoring for this for some years now)... saw this as a base concept to work off. Some of these are money. I'd take the second column from the left as a great base set. Really like the brown on the bottom left too.

Last edited by ACamp1900; 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• ON that note I'd love to see the Padres get good again soon... SD's only team and all. Obviously I'm more of a AL guy with my Halos taking most attention but I've always loved the Cards and Padres in the NL. Always feels good when one of the are winning.

Comment

• Orioles have deal in place for Manny Machado, working through trade specifics

The rumor is that it's the Dodgers.

Phillies, Boston, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Arizona also have needs at third base. Yankees have needs at first base, but are interested in Moustakas, KC who would move from third to first.
                            Last edited by Legacy; 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Padres announced they will return to their own color combos in a few years to the joy of much of their fan base (they've been clamoring for this for some years now)... saw this as a base concept to work off. Some of these are money. I'd take the second column from the left as a great base set. Really like the brown on the bottom left too.

I was at the Cubs vs Padres game on Sunday at Petco. That stadium is great. While Iím glad to see it was 75% full of Cubs fans, I wish SD would support the Padres more. Plus the older uniforms are some of the best in baseball.
                              60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                I was at the Cubs vs Padres game on Sunday at Petco. That stadium is great. While I’m glad to see it was 75% full of Cubs fans, I wish SD would support the Padres more. Plus the older uniforms are some of the best in baseball.
                                A small faction of my wife's family lives down there and they are all massive Padre fans. They are part of some support club or some such and have fellow fans over. I know they have passionate fans for certain, I think the casuals have just been put off by the state of the team over the last decade... it happens.

Agree on Petco, my second home is Angel Stadium so that's my heart but in all honesty my fav MLB Park that I've watched a game in (about ten or so) is Petco by far.

Comment

• When I was still in the Navy, we ran a hotdog stand right in deep center field where the gap and grass are so you could see straight to home plate. Great, great ballpark; fantastic location right there in the heart of the gaslamp district.

Absolutely nothing bad to say about Petco Park.
                                  Last edited by Andy in Sactown; 07-17-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy in Sactown View Post
                                    When I was still in the Navy, we ran a hotdog stand in center field where the gap and grass are so you could see straight to home plate. Great, great ballpark; fantastic location right there in the heart of the gas lamp.

Absolutely nothing bad to say about Petco Park.
                                    I love that area of the park... you can just chill out there while the kids play in the field behind you. Good stuff.

Comment

• Petco is an awesome park. Unfortunately it is squandered by an incompetent team with weak ownership. I agree with ACamp, the Padres have a small but intensely loyal fanbase. If they could string together a couple of winning seasons I think the rest of the area would jump on board but there's too much to do in San Diego to follow a bad baseball team with an ownership that has zero commitment to winning.
                                      "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• Another thing working against them is very few people are actually from San Diego. Seems like most people are from somewhere else. Makes sense being a huge military city with several bases.

When I was stationed down there I lived in mission Valley right next to Qualcomm stadium or whatever it’s called now. We used to walk over on game days and buy cheap tickets and move up because nobody would go to those games either. Fun times.
                                        60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• With the Orioles trade of Manny Machado for five prospects and the Dodgers paying the remainder of his 2018 contract ($6 m of $16m for 2018), the Orioles clear a big chunk of their active payroll.

They are shopping Adam Jones and Zach Britton. Prior to the trade, their four top salaried active players with the percentage of overall active payroll were:

Chris Davis - $21 mill (17.1%) - untradeable
                                          Adam Jones - $17 mill (13.9%) - needs to approve trade
                                          Machado - $16 mill (13%) - to LA
                                          Britton - $12 mill (9.8%) - contract expires after the 2018 season

The next highest salary is DH Mark Trumbo ($11 mill, $13 mill in 2019) who is in his second year of a three year contract. With a 28-69 record in 2018, which is the worst record in MLB, they are in the rebuild mode. Trading Brad Bunch, RP, would also free up some salary ($5.5 mill for 2018 season)

6 most likely to be traded and where they'll go
                                          Last edited by Legacy; 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Why is Mike Trout not as big as LeBron&quot; asks the league that makes it illegal to stream your favorite team if you are within 12 hours of them.</p>&mdash; Jeff Blogwell (@tylercstafford) <a href="https://twitter.com/tylercstafford/status/1019706088642502656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
                                            <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Indians deal for ace reliever Brad Hand
                                              The Indians have acquired All-Star closer Brad Hand and right-handed reliever Adam Cimber from the Padres for catcher Francisco Mejia, their top prospect and the No. 15 prospect in all of baseball according to MLB Pipeline.
                                              MLB Trade Rumors: Brewers Turn Focus To Brian Dozier After Losing Out on Manny Machado
                                              Last edited by Legacy; 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Why is Mike Trout not as big as LeBron&quot; asks the league that makes it illegal to stream your favorite team if you are within 12 hours of them.</p>&mdash; Jeff Blogwell (@tylercstafford) <a href="https://twitter.com/tylercstafford/status/1019706088642502656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
                                                <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                Yeah baseball is horrible at marketing, but at the same time 1 Lebron is worth far more to a basketball team than 1 Trout to a baseball team. A Lebron can almost singlehandedly take a franchise to the top. The Angels have made the playoffs like 1 time with Trout? Hard to market a kid when his team isn't consistently championship caliber.

Comment

• MLB 2018 Value Rankings

Comment

• Yankees land Orioles reliever Zach Britton in rare deal between New York and Baltimore

So far the Orioles have unloaded Machado's ($16 mill) and Britton's ($12 mill). Yankees will pay the remainder of Britton's salary ($4.4 mill) and the Dodgers will pay the remainder of Machado's salary ($6.3 mill). Both are Free Agents after the season. Orioles are also discussing trading Adam Jones ($17 mill in 2018). Their team salary is now below league average.
                                                    Last edited by Legacy; 07-25-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• The worst team in baseball (32-74) - the Baltimore Orioles - could be one of the winners in the non-waiver trade period.

They traded six players (three today) and received fifteen players as well as some cash to start their rebuild. Thirteen of the fifteen were designated to the minors. Nine of the fifteen are pitchers. Of those players they traded, five of the six players' contracts were up at the end of the season. The Orioles cleared a significant percentage of their payroll with the trades. The six players '18 salaries made up 30% of their payroll ($55 mill). Another player who made $3.0 mill chose Free Agency rather than be sent to the minors.

While the Os paid most of this season's salaries for these players (retained salaries), they saved $20 million total in salaries for the rest of the season by trading them.

Prior to the trading period, the O's team payroll was $143 mill. Now the team salary is $123 million. They currently rank 20th in team salary out of 30 teams. One analysis grades the five trades involving six Os players with Baltimore getting two B+s and three Bs on the players they received.

Adam Jones, who makes $17 mill a year and who will be a Free Agent at the end of the year, was not dealt. He had a no trade clause in which he would have to agree to any trade. Jones reportedly exercised his right to refuse a trade to Philadelphia and will be an Oriole until the end of the season. He does not seem to be part of Baltimore's future plans with a number of young outfielders coming up through trades and from their minor league system. He probably wouldn't cost $17 mill a year in his next contract, and his salary contributing to the team payroll this year will drop their payroll for 2019 even lower.

Baltimore now has a lot more depth, players they can use as future trade chips, more cash, and room in the payroll to sign free agents in the offseason.
                                                      Last edited by Legacy; 08-01-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Lot of moves yesterday. The Pirates-Chris Archer trade is a headscratcher for me.

- They weren't expecting to contend this year (and beyond) indicated by dealing Gerrit Cole
                                                        - They dealt a OF who is one of the best prospects in baseball for a 29 year old SP with a +4 ERA over the last 3 years
                                                        - Their infield is full of question marks and lackluster hitters, so why deal one of your best hitters and not better balance your lineup?
                                                        - Corey Dickerson isn't a long-term solution in the OF with Marte and Polanco. Meadows could be better than both of them.
                                                        - Was trading away a potential .300/25/100 hitter in the middle of your lineup worth 2+ years of a SP on the middle of the aging curve? I don't believe so.

Comment

• Agreed, I didn't get that move at all.

Comment

• A good explanation of how a battle over television rights and contracts has affected the decision-making of the Orioles and the Nationals in trading or extending players and in free agency.

The Cold Stove: How the Television Rights Dispute Between the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals Impacts Offseason Decisions (Jan 22, 2018)

Impact on the Hot Stove:
                                                            This continuing litigation will prevent both the Orioles and Nationals from conclusively knowing what revenues to expect from their ownership stakes in MASN (the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) and the rights fees to be respectively paid out or received. The Nationals ability to extend long-term financial commitments to its own players or free agents is limited by the $39.5MM in rights fees MASN has been paying the Nationals since 2012. It is likely that once litigation is complete and the RSDC issues its decision the annual value assessed for the decade’s worth of rights fees MASN owes to the Nationals will eclipse an annualized payment of $39.5MM. As a result, the Nationals will eventually receive a lumpsum payment from MASN to make up for the depressed rights fees it has received, but that means the Nationals do not have the ability to spend that money now. Thus, they have taken to structuring player contracts with deferred payments in anticipation of receiving those funds in the future. There is a limit to this approach otherwise the club risks overextending itself with current and previous player salary obligations in the future.

MASN and the Orioles have to practice prudent savings to ensure that if the Nationals receive a favorable ruling on the value of their television broadcast rights fees, either from the RSDC (Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee) an arbitration panel unaffiliated with MLB, there is enough cash on hand to pay the arbitration award that undoubtedly grows every year as regional television rights fees in baseball increase season after season. This prevents MASN from distributing all of its profits (after paying rights fees) to the Orioles and Nationals as the owners of the RSN (Regional Sports Network)...

Although both organizations should have the financial ability to retain the faces of their franchise, the reality is that until each are provided with the cost certainty afforded by reaching a resolution on the value of the Nationals’ rights fees neither organization may be able to commit to the dollar amount or length of contract Harper and Machado will command. With major roster decisions dependent upon the outcome of this litigation, settling the dispute would be the best solution for both teams but that is an unlikely result. The dispute over the rights fees MASN should pay the Nationals is impacting the Nationals and Orioles ability to commit to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, respectively. The twenty-eight other teams and the current crop of free agents would certainly benefit from better understanding the likelihood of two of MLB’s top players hitting free agency in 2019 and the reallocation of dollars that would result. One thing is certain, MLB never anticipated the impact its ownership and relocation of the Expos would have over the entire industry nearly sixteen years later.
                                                            In the long-running dispute, the the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division voted 3-2 to send the decision back to baseball's Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee who will hear arguments in the fall. The Orioles traded Machado and other high priced players with pending free agency to start a rebuild. The Nats ended up not trading Harper and have the fifth highest team payroll in MLB ($188 mill). The Orioles team payroll is now twentieth highest at $123 mill.
                                                            Last edited by Legacy; 08-02-2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• 2019 MLB Team Payrolls

A few teams:
                                                              Chicago Cubs payroll - #1 - $179 mill
                                                              Boston - #4 - $137 m
                                                              LA Angels - #6 - $124 m
                                                              Cleveland - #11 - $93 m
                                                              Mets - #12 - $92 m
                                                              Yankees - #13 - $86 m
                                                              KC - #14 - $83 m
                                                              Wash - #16 - $78 m
                                                              Balt - #24 - $51 m
                                                              White Sox - #28 - $30 m

The White Sox and Orioles (as well as others in the bottom 25%) could well be active in Free Agency, of course.
                                                              The luxury tax for 2019 begins at $205 mill
                                                              Last edited by Legacy; 08-02-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Is anyone worse than Alex Rodriguez?

Comment

• How a Once-Powerful MLB Division Spiraled into an All-Time Laughingstock (the Al Central)

Comment

• Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                    Is anyone worse than Alex Rodriguez?
                                                                    Many

Comment

• ACamp, your Angels bent my minor league Detroit Tigers over a barrel and showed them the 50 states of America, if you know what I mean.

What a pathetic series; outscored 23-7.
                                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Matt Carpenter has been hitting out of his mind

Comment

• WOWWOWOW. maybe the best Cubs game I've seen since winning the WS.

Comment

• The Cards are putting themselves in the WC mix, nice

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                              Speaking of MVPs...be interesting to see how the AL works out this year among Mookie, Martinez and Trout. If I were a betting man, my money is on Mookie.
                                                                              It has to be Betts, especially if Boston wins 110+. But I would put both Rameriz and Lindor ahead of Martinez.

AL Positional Player WAR (Baseball reference):
                                                                              1) Betts - 8.1
                                                                              2) Trout - 7.8
                                                                              3) Rameriz - 7.3
                                                                              4) Lindor - 6.9
                                                                              6) Martinez - 5.6

AL Positional Player WAR (Fansgraph):
                                                                              1) Betts - 7.8
                                                                              2) Rameriz - 7.7
                                                                              3) Trout - 7.6
                                                                              4) Lindor - 6.7
                                                                              5) Martinez - 5.2

Comment

• Acuna is on f**king fire! Homered in 5 straight games, 3 straight games with a lead off homer, 6 homers in his last 5 games, and 8 homers in his last 8 games.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To summarize, Ronald AcuŮa Jr. is the youngest player ever to...<br><br>Homer twice on back-to-back days<br>Homer 8 times in an 8-game span<br>Homer 6 times in a 5-game span<br>Homer in 5 straight games<br>Homer to lead off 3 straight games<br>Hit 5 career leadoff homers<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChopOn?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChopOn</a> <a href="https://t.co/nsLd3G45kZ">https://t.co/nsLd3G45kZ</a></p>&mdash; Stats By STATS (@StatsBySTATS) <a href="https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/1029558034371158016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 15, 2018</a></blockquote>

Comment

• Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                                                                    Acuna is on f**king fire! Homered in 5 straight games, 3 straight games with a lead off homer, 6 homers in his last 5 games, and 8 homers in his last 8 games.
                                                                                    He is the future of baseball, take it to the bank.

Comment

• Speaking of incredible hot streaks...Matt Carpenter's got salsa!

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...bonds-home-run

But as it turns out, he discovered his power stroke and became even better. Carpenter has 31 blasts this year, leading the National League. He’s also the league leader in doubles (33), slugging percentage (.598), and wRC+ (161).
                                                                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That is good for a 1.316 OPS.<br><br>Barry Bonds had a 1.316 OPS from 2000 to 2004. <a href="https://t.co/Cy0xa4ZD2i">https://t.co/Cy0xa4ZD2i</a></p>&mdash; Ryan M. Spaeder (@theaceofspaeder) <a href="https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1029211137991225345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 14, 2018</a></blockquote>

Comment

• I guess the Marlins are mad they busted up their team to tank and everyone is better at baseball than them.
                                                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Yeah that was a clown move by Miami. I'm just glad that by all accounts that Acuna should be fine. I hope Jeter and his Mickey Mouse operation enjoy the taste of broom because they got fucking swept.

Comment

• Everyone is up in arms about that and I'm like, anyone else see where Jeter is forcing every Marlins player and staff member to learn Spanish??

Comment

Everyone is up in arms about that and I'm like, anyone else see where Jeter is forcing every Marlins player and staff member to learn Spanish??
                                                                                              Which is pretty BA

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                                Which is pretty BA
                                                                                                2018 would agree with you.... logic would not, but whateveas.

Comment

• Interesting ends of the spectrum down there. On the one hand, they're deliberately throwing 98 MPH fastballs at elbows on the first pitch of the game, but they're also requiring everyone to be bilingual.

No wonder they're shit.
                                                                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                  Working...
                                                                                                  X