The boys of summer! (Baseball Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
    Nick Castellanos got suspended two games for flexing on a pitcher that plunked him...

The pitcher got no reprimand, and Yadi got an 'undisclosed' fine.

I wish I could say I was surprised!

Their unwritten rules give new meaning to the word fossil.

Reds and Cardinals always seem to be involved in this sort of thing. The NL Central in general have a bunch of red ass teams in it.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Castellanos is getting the raw end for being the first scuffle of the year and being on a team that seems to get into it quite often (see Amir Garrett fight, David Bell lead league in ejections). Of course blaming Yadier Molina for everything to ever happen to the Reds is easier

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
        Castellanos is getting the raw end for being the first scuffle of the year and being on a team that seems to get into it quite often (see Amir Garrett fight, David Bell lead league in ejections). Of course blaming Yadier Molina for everything to ever happen to the Reds is easier
        BLAME YADI.

He's one of those dudes that I absolutely haaaaaaaaaaate... but I'd go to war for him if he played for Cincy lol. See also: Hines Ward.

Seriously, though, not even mad that it was the Cards/Yadi... it's that they're suspending Castellanos for flexing on a guy, even though he walked away and kept his hands to himself after the incident. But [any catcher] can bump the ump to join the fray, and the ump can get after him with contact, and that's not a problem? Baseball's unwritten rules can suck it.

Also presented as part of the Kangaroo Court: Castellanos got a heftier suspension than any of the Astros that cheated on the way to a world series \_(ツ)_/

Comment

• Baseball is turning into the Democratic Party. A bunch of bitches. Tatis jr should get hit hard for that bat flip.
          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
            Baseball is turning into the Democratic Party. A bunch of bitches. Tatis jr should get hit hard for that bat flip.
            Cry more over a bat flip. My god.

ETA: What bat flip from Tatis has you so upset? The one from yesterday? That wasn€™t even a bat flip.

Comment

Baseball is turning into the Democratic Party. A bunch of bitches. Tatis jr should get hit hard for that bat flip.
              The messages in this post are so conflicting lol

Comment

• My Mets are in mid-season form. DeGrom throws 6 innings of shut out ball (77 pitches), gets pulled, and the pen gives up 5.
                "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -Yeats

Comment

Fucking hell man... You sound like one complaining about a bat flip. Let them have fun.

Comment

Never has a post encapsulated a general mindset so completely.
                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• I love the young crop of stars right now & MLB must capitalize on them if they want to gain a wider audience...specifically the younger demo. Nike is trying some uniform gimmicks w/ the larger cities. I have no problem with it but I don’t think the future of MLB rests on the shoulders of artists at Nike. They need a younger Commissioner who is not so out of touch w/ both the fans & the players. I never thought it could get worse than Bud Selig, but Manfred is easily worse than him IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                        I love the young crop of stars right now & MLB must capitalize on them if they want to gain a wider audience...specifically the younger demo. Nike is trying some uniform gimmicks w/ the larger cities. I have no problem with it but I don’t think the future of MLB rests on the shoulders of artists at Nike. They need a younger Commissioner who is not so out of touch w/ both the fans & the players. I never thought it could get worse than Bud Selig, but Manfred is easily worse than him IMO.
                        Manfred: "The fans will punish the Astros enough. We don't need to punish them, or strip them of their title."

Also Manfred: "Yeah, you can't flex when you get home, 2 game suspension."

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Manfred: "The fans will punish the Astros enough. We don't need to punish them, or strip them of their title."

Also Manfred: "Yeah, you can't flex when you get home, 2 game suspension."
                          One of many points to support his tone-deafness on every issue. The All-Star Game is just the latest. Had he actually read the law I don’t think he would’ve led w/ his grandstanding. I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him urging the city to have a conversation about the law but to be so ill-informed and then jump to moving the game from ATL to DENVER makes him look drunk. Even Mark Emmert wouldn’t have been so ill-advised/informed...and that’s saying something

Comment

• Im confused.... should a man be free to flip his bat? If so should he be attacked for flipping his bat? If he flips his bat being a free man is he a bitch?
                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                              Im confused.... should a man be free to flip his bat? If so should he be attacked for flipping his bat? If he flips his bat being a free man is he a bitch?
                              The unwritten rules of baseball always confuse me but its fun to watch the punishment of alleged violations.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post

One of many points to support his tone-deafness on every issue. The All-Star Game is just the latest. Had he actually read the law I don’t think he would’ve led w/ his grandstanding. I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him urging the city to have a conversation about the law but to be so ill-informed and then jump to moving the game from ATL to DENVER makes him look drunk. Even Mark Emmert wouldn’t have been so ill-advised/informed...and that’s saying something
                                I wouldn't mind if they moved the ASG because they actually took issue with the law. I have a problem with the grandstanding and caving in because of pressure on Twitter by many who probably don't even like baseball. People tried to do the same to the PGA Tour about the Masters this weekend. I'm all in favor of the leagues and players taking action about topics they believe in, but don't cave to pressure and be weak.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

The unwritten rules of baseball always confuse me but its fun to watch the punishment of alleged violations.
                                  I don't get why a batter has to get "punished" for being demonstrative after a big hit in a key situation but a pitcher can do the exact same thing after getting out of a jam and there's no "punishment" for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post

I don't get why a batter has to get "punished" for being demonstrative after a big hit in a key situation but a pitcher can do the exact same thing after getting out of a jam and there's no "punishment" for him.
                                    I guess it's a little harder to punish a pitcher. Only half of them take at-bats.
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I guess it's a little harder to punish a pitcher. Only half of them take at-bats.
                                      That's my point. Batters don't get to "punish" pitchers for celebrating, why do pitchers punish batter for doing the same thing they do?

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post

That's my point. Batters don't get to "punish" pitchers for celebrating, why do pitchers punish batter for doing the same thing they do?
                                        The same reason big guys push nerds into lockers lol. Because they can and because its culturally accepted. Lol. Thats my theory anyway.

It is pretty funny in our softball league...when we play one team who has a douchebag pitcher, all our power hitters hit it up the middle at him for the same reason... he can't do anything about it and it's culturally accepted in the league to target douchebags.
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• I honestly don't even mind the players 'self-policing' based on the 'unwritten' rules. Plus, it seems like the current generation of young guys, both batters AND pitchers, know that it's okay to show a little emotion, anyway. The "my-feelings-are-hurt" and "gonna-bean-you-for-bat-flipping" snowflake shit is slowly going away.

What drives me nuts is the inconsistency with the MLB. Yadier Molina has a documented history of bumping (and spitting on) umpires, and is an instigator behind home plate at the slightest sign of disrespect... but he gets off with a light fine after bumping an umpire on his way to grabbing another player by the back of the neck (a player who was walking away, at that!).

Even if you think Catellanos deserved some retribution for flexing on a pitcher who hit him, and even if you think Castellanos deserved all of it for showboating a home run on opening day... none of it goes to explain Yadier Molina being bullet-proof in the eyes of the MLB. It's bananas!

Comment

The same reason big guys push nerds into lockers lol. Because they can and because its culturally accepted. Lol. Thats my theory anyway.

It is pretty funny in our softball league...when we play one team who has a douchebag pitcher, all our power hitters hit it up the middle at him for the same reason... he can't do anything about it and it's culturally accepted in the league to target douchebags.
                                            We played in a co-ed league in college, and one of the teams was clearly the team full of douchebags. Their pitcher could hit the shit out of the ball, but he'd yell at all of the female players on his team, and in a super not-cool way. So we all started targeting him with rockets up the middle.

They changed the rule and made a liner back at the pitcher an automatic out lol.

Comment

We played in a co-ed league in college, and one of the teams was clearly the team full of douchebags. Their pitcher could hit the shit out of the ball, but he'd yell at all of the female players on his team, and in a super not-cool way. So we all started targeting him with rockets up the middle.

They changed the rule and made a liner back at the pitcher an automatic out lol.
                                              Normalize Hitting Rockets Up the Middle
                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• My dad and uncles think "these guys need to make more contact and put the ball in play."

I saw a 93 MPH change up two nights ago. LOL. Ok. Make more contact. Sure.

The game should be fun and celebrated. Slowly but surely the old, crusty mindset of decades ago is starting to rot away. It's truly a good thing. Those longing for the past will seek their entertainment elsewhere. Baseball has not been celebrated here like it is in South America, the Carribean, Korea, Japan. These players are starting to come to MLB having earned their way here and they're playing the game like it is a celebration. It's catching on among younger, whiter Americans now too. The talent is fantastic overall though there are still some really bad teams that aren't really trying.

MLB and the NBA are the two best gigs going for me right now. That makes me the minority just about everywhere, including this message board, but so be it.

I think we need to get over the Astros and move on, too, for what's it worth. Same goes for steroids.

Comment

What? That's insane

Comment

I honestly don't even mind the players 'self-policing' based on the 'unwritten' rules. Plus, it seems like the current generation of young guys, both batters AND pitchers, know that it's okay to show a little emotion, anyway. The "my-feelings-are-hurt" and "gonna-bean-you-for-bat-flipping" snowflake shit is slowly going away.

What drives me nuts is the inconsistency with the MLB. Yadier Molina has a documented history of bumping (and spitting on) umpires, and is an instigator behind home plate at the slightest sign of disrespect... but he gets off with a light fine after bumping an umpire on his way to grabbing another player by the back of the neck (a player who was walking away, at that!).

Even if you think Catellanos deserved some retribution for flexing on a pitcher who hit him, and even if you think Castellanos deserved all of it for showboating a home run on opening day... none of it goes to explain Yadier Molina being bullet-proof in the eyes of the MLB. It's bananas!
                                                    I think the last of this kind of player is just about gone. It truly is for the best for everyone. The game, the fans, everyone. If I want to watch boxing or MMA, I'll do that. Baseball is the sport where two dude have beef and in order to sort it out all the relief pitchers need to come running out of the bullpen to sort the beef out.

Bores me to tears to see these pillow fights happen every so often.

Comment

• Of all the things I expected to see this season, this definitely wasn't on that list. Pretty much everybody had written Rodon off and the fact that he managed to hold a spot in the rotation was seen as merely a placeholder until Kopech was ready.

Dude always had the stuff, but injury after injury after injury has basically kept him from realizing his potential.

And now he's part of baseball history.

Congrats on the no-hitter Carlos Rodon!

It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Such a fun team!

Thought Rodon was damaged goods for sure. What's even better is that Zack Collins caught the damn game for him, too. He'd been written off as a first baseman or DH. Rodon so far this year has looked very good when he's taken the mound. I would probably push his next start on Monday back a day or two after last night, which I'm sure is going to be an option.

White Sox had first round draft picks from 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2019 on the field for that no hitter last night. Great stuff.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                        Working...
                                                        X