"Official NFL Draft Thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Official NFL Draft Thread"

With the draft being tomorrow, what are everyone's thoughts? Who goes first? Where does Kyle/Ian end up?

Carolina Panthers narrow top pick to Cam Newton, Marcell Dareus, two others, sources say - ESPN

Ok, I'll get it started. Who goes #1. I think they have to go with Green. Their WR play was horrid last year and its been said that S. Smith cleared out his locker.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
      Carolina Panthers narrow top pick to Cam Newton, Marcell Dareus, two others, sources say - ESPN

Ok, I'll get it started. Who goes #1. I think they have to go with Green. Their WR play was horrid last year and its been said that S. Smith cleared out his locker.
      Panthers need to trade down. Seriously. If they pick Cam Newton I will LOL.

I love that the Redskins have the #10 pick... should be a perfect slot to grab Julio Jones.

Comment

I really couldn't guess who will go number 1. Carolina has a lot of needs.

I'm pretty excited about my Browns picking at 6 plenty of good players there, and a couple teams below them that could trade up to grab a QB. I wouldn't be opposed to the trade down to pick up more picks.
        GO IRISH!

Comment

Taking cam newton would easily put the carolina panthers back into the lottery next season. Talk about being counter productive as a franchise

Comment

Originally posted by rikkitikki08 View Post
            Taking cam newton would easily put the carolina panthers back into the lottery next season. Talk about being counter productive as a franchise
            I'm with you. I'm far from sold with Jimmy for them but I think if they draft Cam it would be a big mistake.
            GO IRISH!

Comment

A buddy of mine brought up a good point at work today. He said Ron Rivera would not take such a gamble as to draft Cam because it would define his legacy as a coach if Cam flopped. He also said that being safe and going with Darius is probably a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkitikki08 View Post
                if you saw that Jon Gruden QB camp thing on ESPN, then you know that Cam Newton will not be a NFL qb for long. dude didnt even want to get up to diagram, much less explain the intricacies of an offensive play. by contrast, if you saw Ryan Mallett, that dude knew everything about a given play and didnt hesitate to jump up and diagram a play for Gruden. and then told gruden, without being prompted, how the audibles would work given any number of defensive lineups. Mallett might be a yahoo off the field, but he seemed to have a grasp of the X's and O's. I thought Mallett was impressive, and Cam Newton was an embarrasment.

How long will it take Cam Newton to discovery that he wont be able to just 'tuck it and run' in the NFL? How long will he last without taking the snap from center....red flags for newton, i'm talking JaMarcus Russel size red flags!!!!!
                YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post
                  if you saw that Jon Gruden QB camp thing on ESPN, then you know that Cam Newton will not be a NFL qb for long. dude didnt even want to get up to diagram, much less explain the intricacies of an offensive play. by contrast, if you saw Ryan Mallett, that dude knew everything about a given play and didnt hesitate to jump up and diagram a play for Gruden. and then told gruden, without being prompted, how the audibles would work given any number of defensive lineups. Mallett might be a yahoo off the field, but he seemed to have a grasp of the X's and O's. I thought Mallett was impressive, and Cam Newton was an embarrasment.

How long will it take Cam Newton to discovery that he wont be able to just 'tuck it and run' in the NFL? How long will he last without taking the snap from center....red flags for newton, i'm talking JaMarcus Russel size red flags!!!!!
                  I saw the QB camp show too. The fact that he couldn't even recall an Auburn play name was a huge problem to me, and the fact that he just seemed disinterested in what Gruden had to say, hardly ever looked at him when Gruden was talking to him.
                  GO IRISH!

Comment

This QB class is horrible. Cam Newton is the next Vince Young, Blaine Gabbert is just downright unimpressive, Ryan Mallett does cocaine, and Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, and Christian Ponder would all be 3rd or 4th round picks in any other draft. Jake Locker is the only one I think can be a solid NFL starter. Panthers should go with AJ Green to give Clausen a weapon if he pans out and if not, let Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley have an elite receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Title2012 View Post
                      This QB class is horrible. Cam Newton is the next Vince Young, Blaine Gabbert is just downright unimpressive, Ryan Mallett does cocaine, and Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, and Christian Ponder would all be 3rd or 4th round picks in any other draft. Jake Locker is the only one I think can be a solid NFL starter. Panthers should go with AJ Green to give Clausen a weapon if he pans out and if not, let Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley have an elite receiver.
                      I agree 100%, Locker would be the QB I would want in this class, if I had to take one. Newton will fall in between VY and Jamarcus Russell (and that is not just because he is black). Ryan Mallet and Gabbert are both overrated IMO, and are being hyped up because they are the best options in a weak class.

Defensive line will dominate the first round, and deservedly so. If I am the Panthers, my wish list would be (1) Trade down, (2) Pick Peterson, (3) Pick Green, and (4) Pick Dareus.
                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

If Carolina picks Newton I will feel for all Panther fans.. Nowww, if the Broncos pick Pat Peterson, how nasty of a corner duo would Champ Bailey and PP be???

Comment

What if the Bengals get Peterson? Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, and Patrick Peterson = the best corner group in the past 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                            Panthers need to trade down. Seriously. If they pick Cam Newton I will LOL.

I love that the Redskins have the #10 pick... should be a perfect slot to grab Julio Jones.
                            The rookie pay-scale has made this impossible. I doubt anyone would even do it if Luck (or another clear-cut #1 guy) was in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                              The rookie pay-scale has made this impossible. I doubt anyone would even do it if Luck (or another clear-cut #1 guy) was in the draft.
                              Normally true but this is why this is a unique case:

Because the Panthers have Jimmy Clausen they could easily package Clausen + #1 pick to a team like Arizona, Washington or even maybe Cinci for their pick + their second rounder + late round pick/future pick. That way they can grab a QB in the top 10 picks (and frankly there is NOT much of a difference between Gabbert, Newton, Locker and Mallet... all have tons of upside as well as tons of risk) and add more picks to get more new talent.

All of this is contingent on a team needing a QB being willing to take Clausen and give up multiple draft picks. Will it happen? Probably not, but the Panthers better be trying their *** off. If they take Cam Newton #1 overall that means they threw away a second rounder last year and will be awful for the foreseeable future. They need receivers, lots of defensive players and upgrades across the OL. Drafting a QB doesn't solve any of that.

Comment

Normally true but this is why this is a unique case:

Because the Panthers have Jimmy Clausen they could easily package Clausen + #1 pick to a team like Arizona, Washington or even maybe Cinci for their pick + their second rounder + late round pick/future pick. That way they can grab a QB in the top 10 picks (and frankly there is NOT much of a difference between Gabbert, Newton, Locker and Mallet... all have tons of upside as well as tons of risk) and add more picks to get more new talent.

All of this is contingent on a team needing a QB being willing to take Clausen and give up multiple draft picks. Will it happen? Probably not, but the Panthers better be trying their *** off. If they take Cam Newton #1 overall that means they threw away a second rounder last year and will be awful for the foreseeable future. They need receivers, lots of defensive players and upgrades across the OL. Drafting a QB doesn't solve any of that.
                                I'm sure Carolina would love to be rid of the burden that the #1 pick has become, but they will find no takers because nobody (especially the suitors, aka bad teams that are cheap) wants to ink a huuuge contract with an unknown commodity such as Cam Newton. QBs are the only position worth trading up to the number one spot for, and since the crop is so weak this year, I am assuming what is already a virtually impossible pick to trade has become a defnitely impossible one.

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post

So true. If Carolina takes him they will rue the day IMO. I just don't think he can think like an NFL quarterback. There's no play called "36" in the NFL LOL. Just don't think Cam has it mentally to be a successful NFL QB.

My favorite exchange from the Gruden interview, besides the part where Gruden asked Cam to dictate to him a play from the Auburn playbook in which Cam hysterically said that Gruden was 'putting him on the spot' (imagine that, asking a QB to say one their plays. My 6th graders could do that but for Cam, reciting '36" was tough), was this:

Gruden: "How do you handle all that criticism and negativity that's out there?"

Cam: "I use the analogy of a simple gun, and you need ammunition to be able to use the gun right..."

Gruden: (in a voice sounding like he's giving Cam an out to use a less violent/graphic analogy) "You use......say that again."

Cam: (not taking the cue, just slowing down as he talks this time and explaining it like he was talking to a 5th grader): "A GUN, right, I mean I know it's a violent (looking for the word) a violent....symbol, but ummm, I'm that, and the ammunition is my criticism."
                                  Great analogy Cam! I just don't think he can think like an NFL QB must think. Not buying him at all, and if Carolina picks him they'll get everything they deserve.
                                  sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

I'm sure Carolina would love to be rid of the burden that the #1 pick has become, but they will find no takers because nobody (especially the suitors, aka bad teams that are cheap) wants to ink a huuuge contract with an unknown commodity such as Cam Newton. QBs are the only position worth trading up to the number one spot for, and since the crop is so weak this year, I am assuming what is already a virtually impossible pick to trade has become a defnitely impossible one.
                                    But a guy like Von Miller or Patrick Peterson seems like a slam dunk. Again, it's all about a team wanting a QB (Clausen) AND a "slam dunk" (is there such a thing?) guy like Peterson, Von Miller or Dareus with that #1 pick. It's doable... just not easily.

It's much easier for the Panthers to just simply not draft Cam Newton lol

Comment

Panthers must get a WR.

Let Clausen play a year.

Doesn't work?

Get a QB next year.

ALA Bill Polian, getting Marvin Harrison the year before Peyton Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                        Panthers must get a WR.

Let Clausen play a year.

Doesn't work?

Get a QB next year.

ALA Bill Polian, getting Marvin Harrison the year before Peyton Manning.
                                        Harrison was selected in 1996 by Jim Irsay, not Bill Polian. Polian came in 1998 and took Peyton.

Comment

My first thought of cam going to the panthers is a split locker room. that is the last thing i would want if i was a head coach.

Comment

How funny will it be..Carolina drafts 3 QB's in 3 years?? Assuming they're going to draft Scam and probably be the worst team again. Can you say Matt Millen..how he drafted all WR's.

Comment

Originally posted by josejose4482 View Post
                                              How funny will it be..Carolina drafts 3 QB's in 3 years?? Assuming they're going to draft Scam and probably be the worst team again. Can you say Matt Millen..how he drafted all WR's.
                                              great point...matt millen was absolutely and still is terrible.

im hoping rudy gets stolen by a solid team with a TE need and plays for a contender, maybe Baltimore even though they have Heap, a two TE punch Rudy and Heap would be lethal, although that would probably force him to the 2nd round or maybe a late first to atlanta with gonzalez (who is aging) thinking the same thing.
                                              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by GEORGIA DOMER View Post
                                                My first thought of cam going to the panthers is a split locker room. that is the last thing i would want if i was a head coach.
                                                And by split, you mean all of it on one side around Cam, and Clausen on the other all by himself. Say what you want about Cam, he really is a charismatic kid that a team can rally around. He will have Steve Smith and Jordan Gross's support from day one IMO.

Comment

Whoever drafts Cam Newton is going to make me LOL, heartily. Honestly, that is my major reason for tuning in--to see who drafts him and makes the huge blunder.

Comment

Originally posted by Title2012 View Post
                                                    Harrison was selected in 1996 by Jim Irsay, not Bill Polian. Polian came in 1998 and took Peyton.
                                                    My bad, I was going odd memory I could have sworn Marvin was a year before.

Thanks for the correction.

But WR before QB still makes sense to me.

Comment

And by split, you mean all of it on one side around Cam, and Clausen on the other all by himself. Say what you want about Cam, he really is a charismatic kid that a team can rally around. He will have Steve Smith and Jordan Gross's support from day one IMO.
                                                      I don't completely agree. These are grown men that he has to gel with. I'm not sure they'll be too impressed if he walks into the locker room and the only play he can remember is "36"

Comment

I have said for years I would never take a QB in the high first round... ever... i don't care if they might be Peyton Manning or John Elway... how many QBs have been complete flops that were just as highly rated or close to as either of those two coming out??? MANY, MANY, MANY... it's such a crap shoot and just as many great QBs have come from the late first round and beyond...

I already stated that i would shop this pick if I were Carolina and build the interior throughout the draft... I like Fairley more that Newton from an Auburn standpoint honestly... and if I couldn't trade the pick I'd take the DB from LSU... My first rule as a GM in the draft would be to never ever throw huge first round money at a QB... ever... and sorry Newton is far from a confident pick imo, for all the reasons already stated and more... in fact I don't like a single one of these QBs... at least not in the first two rounds... year of the QB my butt...
                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

He's also an arrogant idiot that NO ONE knows how he will react when he faces adversity, failure or losing. Yeah, everyone loves him now that he's on top of hte world, but an attitude like his on a losing team quickly becomes a cancer.

Comment

I just think jimmy went to battle with a group of guys on a pretty bad team. he had to earn some respect in that locker room

Comment

Didn't Steve Smith clean out his locker??
                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

He's also an arrogant idiot that NO ONE knows how he will react when he faces adversity, failure or losing. Yeah, everyone loves him now that he's on top of hte world, but an attitude like his on a losing team quickly becomes a cancer.
                                                                I agree Cam's a punk, and he shouldn't be taken #1 overall, but I can really see him being the "golden boy" of a bad team, and instantly be embraced/nurtured by the vets. Will he be any good? +1 on probably not. Is he worth scrapping Clausen over when you need about a dozen other holes filled? Absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                  Didn't Steve Smith clean out his locker??
                                                                  Just looked it up and yes, it appears he wants out of Charlotte. Don't blame him. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                                    If Carolina picks Newton I will feel for all Panther fans....
                                                                    It is amazing to me that seemingly every knowledgeable fan can see that it will be a terrible mistake for Carolina to take Newton, yet everyone that gets paid to know football seems oblivious to the fact.

According to just about every plugged-in media source out there, it will be a shock if the Panthers don't take Newton. Yet if there is one highly prominent media member taking the Panthers to task for making such a dumb decision, I have missed it somehow.

Even more importantly, though: how can the Panthers organization possibly not see how risky of a pick Newton is and how significant the chances are that it will ruin their franchise for the next 5 years, if not more? After all, it is there money on the line, so surely they have thought about this. How can anyone whose job it is to understand football and make good football decisions sign off on this pick? It seems crazy to me!

Comment

I think the media is hyping up Newton just because it gets hits, positive and negative. But I think it will be more of a Reggie Bush type thing, everyone thought the Texans would most likely take Bush instead they took Williams. Thats how I see it turning out, if not then the Panthers should discontinue their team.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                        According to just about every plugged-in media source out there, it will be a shock if the Panthers don't take Newton. Yet if there is one highly prominent media member taking the Panthers to task for making such a dumb decision, I have missed it somehow.
                                                                        If you can call him prominent Colin Cowherd was saying this morning that Carolina should forget about Newton and draft defensive players. I think Carolina drafting Newton #1 is foolish, his contract will eat up valuable cap space needed for other players.

Comment

Well, I guess Cowherd is "prominent". But I certainly wouldn't call him "knowledgeable" or "respected". Actually, I'm pretty disappointed to be of the same opinion as him, but I'm not surprised he took this position. I'm sure it isn't based on anything other than the fact that his shtick is to take a different position than the other media people.

I'm looking for a Mortensen, Schefter, LaConfora, Lombardi, Mayock, etc. to call Carolina out. (Mayock had not been high on Newton, but he has now caved.) I know these guys don't want to blast a team and lose a source, but have some guts. If we all know how dumb it is to take Newton - if COWHERD even knows how dumb it it - then these guys have to know.

Comment

Exactly. See Vince Young, who if memory served me right didn't have nearly as many attitude problems going in.

As to Rudolph, I would actually be tempted to get a ravens jersey if he ends up in Baltimore. But the Ravens drafted two TEs last year so I don't see them taking Rudy this year.
                                                                            Last edited by PigtownIrish; 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Just because people are mocking Newton to Carolina doesn't mean they think it should happen. Kiper doesn't have Newton in his top 10 prospects and I remember watching a draft conversation on ESPN where I believe Kiper, McShay, Mortensen, and Wingo all said they should take defense or AJ Green.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I get the difference between predicting Newton will go first and thinking he is the #1 prospect, but nobody is saying it is a bad pick, which I think it clearly is.

For instance, in Mayock's mock he does hedge a little but ultimately justifies the pick with the "if you have a shot at a potential franchise QB, you take it" reasoning. I just think the chances of him becoming worthy of a #1 pick (i.e. being a pro-bowl caliber QB) is about 5%, and for me that is not at all worth that pick and what they will have to pay him.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                                  I get the difference between predicting Newton will go first and thinking he is the #1 prospect, but nobody is saying it is a bad pick, which I think it clearly is.

For instance, in Mayock's mock he does hedge a little but ultimately justifies the pick with the "if you have a shot at a potential franchise QB, you take it" reasoning. I just think the chances of him becoming worthy of a #1 pick (i.e. being a pro-bowl caliber QB) is about 5%, and for me that is not at all worth that pick and what they will have to pay him.
                                                                                  I was thinking the same thing this morning. I'm off today so I watched a ton of sports shows, and almost everybody is saying that Carolina should take Cam Newton. I felt like Will Farrell in Zoolander ("I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!"). I couldn't believe my ears. And a lot of people were saying things like, "You have to take Cam because if he's great you're regret it forever and you'll set the franchise back." WTF??? And if he can't remember anything past the #36...then what?

And Lax, great point on Vince Young. Vince Young was the greatest teammate when the team was winning and he was the QB. But they started losing, he became a petulant punk, because he wasn't used to it and couldn't handle it. And even worse - when they started winning but he wasn't the QB, he was bitching about that too.

Beware Carolina - you're giving up on a much more polished QB to take the new hotshot, but he still won't have a line, his center will still be snapping it to below his knees, and he still won't have anyone to throw to besides a petulant (and triple-teamed) Steve Smith. Oh, and he's never had to huddle up or go through a progression before in the face of a zone blitz. Have fun with that!
                                                                                  sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Yeah but can he throw the ball thru the uprights while one his knees from the 50? 80 yrds on the fly? if so he will be the best qb prospect since uh uh russell!!! pass, stick w/ jimmy trade down get couple o linemen

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      If I'm Carolina, I draft Patrick Peterson or Darius. I trade down if at all possible and let someone take Cam at one. If they fall back to 3-4 overall, they'll still be able to get Peterson and get an extra draft pick. They will still be a horrible team this year and will have a high pick next year for Barkely or Luck. They have so many needs this year, it's crazy.

Ive heard a lot of different rumors about what the skins are going to do at 10. Ive heard they like Locker and Gabbert and oculd trade up. Im hoping they stay at 10 and take Julio.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Carolina has to draft Darius I think. I agree with everyone else that Cam just inst worth the #1 pick. I don't think the Jimmy is their "franchise" QB but give it another year and see where it takes you. Many quarterbacks so awful their first year and when you had first round talent that you drafted, give the kid another chance. Not even my own ND bias.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          McShay just released his 7 round mock, and has Peterson slipping to #12 Houston. That is just ****ing insane. There is no way that can happen IMO.
                                                                                          This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                                                                                            McShay just released his 7 round mock, and has Peterson slipping to #12 Houston. That is just ****ing insane. There is no way that can happen IMO.
                                                                                            McShay is also a complete moron.
                                                                                            We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                                                                                              Yeah, not even remotely possible. Redskins who jump for joy and snap him up at #10.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                If Peterson fell to 10 and the 'skins didn's take him, I would cry! Peterson is the most talented player in this draft.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  They just did an interesting piece on Mallet... I have thought for a while he is the best QB in the draft tools wise... but outside issues make him a tough pick to make... goes to show how much media expansion in sports today has changed things... Dan Marino dropped in the draft because of apparent drug issues and such, but who the hell really knew about that at the time?? He faced nothing like what Mallet has encountered, and the whole world knows about it... It'll be interesting.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    They are projecting Julio Jones to the Browns... if that happens I may sell my fandom on EBay to the highest bidding fanbase... Julio Jones!?!?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X