NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GO IRISH!!! View Post
    The guy on Versus last night said it is the best hockey being played - unless you are rooting for one of the two teams. Impartial observers who are hockey fans (like myself) are being treated to some amazing hockey. Fans of Chicago and Philly are getting indigestion and liver damage.
    Yeah i know my heart or stomach cant take this anymore, but it is entertaining. Hopefully people will open there eyes and realize that this league and game is a lot more then ovechkin and crosby.

Comment

• Originally posted by KPENN View Post
      Yeah i know my heart or stomach cant take this anymore, but it is entertaining. Hopefully people will open there eyes and realize that this league and game is a lot more then ovechkin and crosby.
      You mean crosby and malkin... get yo facts straight... but I'm glad to see the second team in Penn can actually get some exposure for once... I mean talk about step child.

This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

The guy on Versus last night said it is the best hockey being played - unless you are rooting for one of the two teams. Impartial observers who are hockey fans (like myself) are being treated to some amazing hockey. Fans of Chicago and Philly are getting indigestion and liver damage.
        This has been one of the most ridiculous series I have seen. I have tix to game 7 if it goes that far.

Phillies suck, Eagles suck, 76ers suck, Flyers (except for Carcillo) suck, so do the Philly accents.

Boom.

Comment

• YES!!!! Flyers tie it up it's a best of 3 now

Comment

• hope you enjoyed your last win of the year Penner......

:)
            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
              hope you enjoyed your last win of the year Penner......

:)
              We'll see. Btw how'd you figure out my last name. lol

Comment

• if it is, then you sig is the same concept as mine... i your first name starts with K...

Comment

if it is, then you sig is the same concept as mine... i your first name starts with K...
                  Ah good call. Touché

Comment

• the 1900 simply represents how many times my greatness expands over that of others..............

Comment

• As a coefficient with an understood imaginary number? (certainly not natural)

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnykillz View Post
                        As a coefficient with an understood imaginary number? (certainly not natural)

That period was 1900 times greater of a post than wat you just dropped.... see how that works?

Comment

• Does that mean you just made a very big "point?"

Comment

That period was 1900 times greater of a post than wat you just dropped.... see how that works?
                            Nope. Is this an exponential thingy or a derivative bundling trading pointillism distraction/abstraction?

Comment

• Originally posted by dshans View Post
                              Nope. Is this an exponential thingy or a derivative bundling trading pointillism distraction/abstraction?
                              Well, you gotta admit the Georges Seurat painting of "Woman with a Parasol, 1884" Georges Seurat Online evokes a bit of a woody.
                              Last edited by NeuteredDoomer; 06-06-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeuteredDoomer View Post
                                Well, you gotta admit the Georges Seurat painting of "Woman with a Parasol, 1884" Georges Seurat Online evokes a bit of a woody.
                                Um ... Uh ... Ahh ... Yeah ... Sure. Is this an instinctive quadruped "junk in the trunk" reaction or a choice?

Comment

• Yeah.... How 'bout them Hawks... (looks away nervously).....

Comment

• Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                    Yeah.... How 'bout them Hawks... (looks away nervously).....
                                    Lol. Yeah some sweep they had against a totally overmatched philly team

Comment

• I was under the impression Chicago was the underdog.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnykillz View Post
                                        I was under the impression Chicago was the underdog.
                                        No Chicago is not the underdog.

Comment

• We shall see tonight, chump.

Last game was embarrassing.

Comment

• Great game last night.

Comment

• Switching up those lines worked wonders for the Hawks

Comment

• I just loved how Pronger got owned all game. -5 for the game and he was in the box for a sixth goal. Loved it. Eager picked up the puck after the game too haha.

Comment

• This is just a great series to watch for hockey fans that don't really care about either team one way or another. Just a fun series to watch. I really would like to see this go to a game 7.
                                                  “We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                                    Switching up those lines worked wonders for the Hawks
                                                    The lines had very little to do with that win. Philly played there worse first period of the season. If the flyers play a marginally good first period they win that game last night

Comment

• Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                      I just loved how Pronger got owned all game. -5 for the game and he was in the box for a sixth goal. Loved it. Eager picked up the puck after the game too haha.
                                                      Haha yeah the same chris pronger that has a hall of fame ticket punched. And if that idiot ben eager is that concerned with game pucks from games 1,2 and 5 he has problems.

Comment

The lines had very little to do with that win. Philly played there worse first period of the season. If the flyers play a marginally good first period they win that game last night
                                                        Stupid penalties, bad turnovers, and getting away from their style of hockey really killed the Flyers in the first period. The no call on the high stick on Briere was significant too. That would have been a big double minor power play.
                                                        “We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” C.S. Lewis

Comment

Stupid penalties, bad turnovers, and getting away from their style of hockey really killed the Flyers in the first period. The no call on the high stick on Briere was significant too. That would have been a big double minor power play.
                                                          Yup. If the flyers get out of that period down 1-0 or 2-0 they win the game i think

Comment

Yup. If the flyers get out of that period down 1-0 or 2-0 they win the game i think
                                                            Well, I really hope they hold on and win game 6. Not only would it be a treat to see ANY Stanley Cup Finals game 7, I just think the Flyers have a good chance of winning in Chicago in a do or die game.

Comment

Well, I really hope they hold on and win game 6. Not only would it be a treat to see ANY Stanley Cup Finals game 7, I just think the Flyers have a good chance of winning in Chicago in a do or die game.
                                                              Its sucks that they lost, but i love the way that they lost. Give me a pissed off chris pronger in a big game over any other defensemen and quite possibly any other player in the league.

Comment

• -5!!! Hahaha

Pronger has been able to shut down Big Buff this series. He really can eliminate a player whenever he's on the ice. Hawks in 7, only because I have tix.

Comment

eh, no call on Briere no call on Soup. That's hockey, its a fast game and refs miss stuff. Anyways, a double minor gets wiped out with a goal, so it was a big non-call but the flyers would still have needed to get another goal even strength to tie it up assuming they could score on the PP.

My personal favorite thing about the game is that pulling Leighton creates doubts for the flyers. You have to assume that he'll be back in for game 6, but taking him out after the first is a good way to tell him that the team doesn't have much confidence in him to overcome a little bit of adversity. He didn't play his best period of hockey there, but he did make a few big saves, the hawks could easily have gotten another goal out of that first period.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishinSyria View Post
                                                                    eh, no call on Briere no call on Soup. That's hockey, its a fast game and refs miss stuff. Anyways, a double minor gets wiped out with a goal, so it was a big non-call but the flyers would still have needed to get another goal even strength to tie it up assuming they could score on the PP.

My personal favorite thing about the game is that pulling Leighton creates doubts for the flyers. You have to assume that he'll be back in for game 6, but taking him out after the first is a good way to tell him that the team doesn't have much confidence in him to overcome a little bit of adversity. He didn't play his best period of hockey there, but he did make a few big saves, the hawks could easily have gotten another goal out of that first period.
                                                                    The flyers were down 2 when briere got high sticked and they woulda had a 4 minute powerplay. Also pulling leighton had little to do with leighton last night.

Comment

• The flyers were down 2 when briere got high sticked and they woulda had a 4 minute powerplay
                                                                      I know. But even if they had scored 30 seconds into the hypothetical powerplay, the rest of it would have been wiped out and they would have had to get one more even-strength.

Also pulling leighton had little to do with leighton last night.
                                                                      When a tender gets pulled, regardless of the reason, its humiliating. Leighton seems like he's gone through a lot of adversity in order to get here, so I don't expect him to fold, but still its a vote of no confidence on the part of the coach.

Anyways, this series has been high flying from the get go. Last night was no exception and I can't wait for Wednesday. The Flyers have been unbelievable with their backs against the wall, and the Blackhawks have been dominant when they've had the opportunity to close out a series. It should be another great game in an unbelievable series.

Comment

I know. But even if they had scored 30 seconds into the hypothetical powerplay, the rest of it would have been wiped out and they would have had to get one more even-strength.
                                                                        If the flyers had scored within 2 minutes the first 2 would have been wiped out. Then they would have had a new 2 minute poweplay. The winner woulda had to have been even strength

Comment

Yeah, I know that double minors get wiped out with a goal. I wasn't alluding to being two minor penalties. However, that could have been a game changer. Get guys out there for potentially four minutes of penalty kill, your top PK guys get very tired, start standing and reaching and just like that they take another penalty or make a bad turnover. Four minute PP is still valuable at that stage of, at that time, a close game. I thought the no call on Briere was much more egregious that any of the other calls. On a faceoff the refs are all looking right at the circle. Not like it happened behind the play or on another part of the ice where a ref wasn't looking. It's hockey, yes, and referrees are factors (or non factors) in all sports, but it was a pretty obvious call.

I don't put any weight in the pulling of Leighton. Professional goalies have been pulled before and they know how to handle it. And Leighton has already been pulled once in this series and has come back to play some darn good hockey.

The first 10 minutes of game 6 will be very fun to watch. The Flyers are going to throw everything at them. Pronger won't have another game like he did in game 5 and he will be out for blood.

Comment

Yeah, I know that double minors get wiped out with a goal.
                                                                            The flyers could have scored 2 powerplay goals on the double minor

Comment

The flyers could have scored 2 powerplay goals on the double minor
                                                                              I thought it is just 4:00 of PP time with the high stick with injury - not two separate minor penalties which allow for two scoring chances. I could be wrong, but I thought it was just a four minute minor.

Comment

I thought it is just 4:00 of PP time with the high stick with injury - not two separate minor penalties which allow for two scoring chances. I could be wrong, but I thought it was just a four minute minor.
                                                                                Nope it's basically like 2 minor penalties. Had the flyers scored 30 seconds into the powerplay the first 2 minutes would have been whiped of then they would have started with a new 2:00 minutes

Comment

Nope it's basically like 2 minor penalties. Had the flyers scored 30 seconds into the powerplay the first 2 minutes would have been whiped of then they would have started with a new 2:00 minutes
                                                                                  Hmm? Go figure. I was mistaken. If I had a nickel for every time I have been wrong about something, I would be a very rich man. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Hmm? Go figure. I was mistaken. If I had a nickel for every time I have been wrong about something, I would be a very rich man. Thanks for the clarification.
                                                                                    Yep not a problem. So btw you hearing anything about the kings getting rid of bernier or quick?
                                                                                    Last edited by KPENN; 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Yep not a problem. So btw you hearing anything about the kings getting rid of bernier or quick?
                                                                                      I hear rumors now and then, but I think they would be stupid to get rid of either of those two, at least this year. Ersberg won't be back, so having Quick as #1 and Bernier as #2 would be nice. I am not as enamored with Bernier as A LOT of other Kings fans are. He has only played a handful of games in the NHL, so I am not ready to annoint him as the next Roy or whatever. He is a good, young goalie, but I am reserving judgement until I see him play a full NHL season. It would be great not to have to play Quick 72 games next year. I think Quick would be different with a capable backup behind him.

Now, ask that same question in 2 or 3 years and we will see. Kings have not had goaltender depth in so long that I think most Kings fans don't know how to react. They are already assuming Bernier will be the #1 next year. I am not so sure about that. Jonathan Quick is a very good goaltender that has been discounted his whole career and always seems to rise the call, so we will see what happens in camp. Like I said, it's a good problem to have.

I am more concerned with keeping Frolov and/or getting another scoring winger. I would also love to get a big, punishing D-man to compliment Doughty and Johnson, but I don't think one will be on the market.

Comment

I hear rumors now and then, but I think they would be stupid to get rid of either of those two, at least this year. Ersberg won't be back, so having Quick as #1 and Bernier as #2 would be nice. I am not as enamored with Bernier as A LOT of other Kings fans are. He has only played a handful of games in the NHL, so I am not ready to annoint him as the next Roy or whatever. He is a good, young goalie, but I am reserving judgement until I see him play a full NHL season. It would be great not to have to play Quick 72 games next year. I think Quick would be different with a capable backup behind him.

Now, ask that same question in 2 or 3 years and we will see. Kings have not had goaltender depth in so long that I think most Kings fans don't know how to react. They are already assuming Bernier will be the #1 next year. I am not so sure about that. Jonathan Quick is a very good goaltender that has been discounted his whole career and always seems to rise the call, so we will see what happens in camp. Like I said, it's a good problem to have.

I am more concerned with keeping Frolov and/or getting another scoring winger. I would also love to get a big, punishing D-man to compliment Doughty and Johnson, but I don't think one will be on the market.
                                                                                        Yeah thats a good call on that. It would be pretty good for the kings cause they could get a lot in return for one of those 2. But who knows what the market will be like seeing as the flyers and hawks made it to the finals with mediocre goalies

Comment

Yeah thats a good call on that. It would be pretty good for the kings cause they could get a lot in return for one of those 2. But who knows what the market will be like seeing as the flyers and hawks made it to the finals with mediocre goalies
                                                                                          I don't think any team can stop putting stock in to goalies. Elite goalies will remain a coveted position in this league no matter what. Miller, Brodeur, Nabakov, and guys of that caliber will continue to be focal points of any team. Maybe Leighton and Niemi are "mediocre" goalies by career standards, but they sure can elevate their game to elite levels at times. The trick is getting a goalie to do that on a nightly basis. Guys like Brodeur and Roy don't come around too often.

I don't see the Kings playing Quick and Bernier 50/50, I just don't think that is good for either netminder, but I could see a 70/30 split. I would like to see Quick be the #1 and play anywhere from 57 to 62 regular season games or so. Bernier could get some experience and rack up 20 to 25 games. See how he does in some back to backs and some tough road games and get him battle tested for the playoffs so you have a capable backup in the post season.

The worst scenario for me would be for the Kings to make Bernier the #1 out of camp and have him go through a rough patch early in the season. If Quick is #1 in the opener and then HE falters, then you can have Bernier come in. I think Quick has proven he can be a #1 in very adverse situations. No let him do it with a little more rest and someone to back him up if he is having a rough night.

Comment

I don't think any team can stop putting stock in to goalies. Elite goalies will remain a coveted position in this league no matter what. Miller, Brodeur, Nabakov, and guys of that caliber will continue to be focal points of any team. Maybe Leighton and Niemi are "mediocre" goalies by career standards, but they sure can elevate their game to elite levels at times. The trick is getting a goalie to do that on a nightly basis. Guys like Brodeur and Roy don't come around too often.

I don't see the Kings playing Quick and Bernier 50/50, I just don't think that is good for either netminder, but I could see a 70/30 split. I would like to see Quick be the #1 and play anywhere from 57 to 62 regular season games or so. Bernier could get some experience and rack up 20 to 25 games. See how he does in some back to backs and some tough road games and get him battle tested for the playoffs so you have a capable backup in the post season.

The worst scenario for me would be for the Kings to make Bernier the #1 out of camp and have him go through a rough patch early in the season. If Quick is #1 in the opener and then HE falters, then you can have Bernier come in. I think Quick has proven he can be a #1 in very adverse situations. No let him do it with a little more rest and someone to back him up if he is having a rough night.
                                                                                            I really like quick. I think he's got the potential to have a really good career. As a whole i really like the kings team

Comment

Haha yeah the same chris pronger that has a hall of fame ticket punched. And if that idiot ben eager is that concerned with game pucks from games 1,2 and 5 he has problems.
                                                                                              I never said he was a bad player, he probably does have his hof ticket punched. However, had Eager picked up the pucks when Philly won, Pronger would have probably tried to beat the shit out of him. Pucks go to winning coaches or goaltenders, not the trashcan.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                                                                I never said he was a bad player, he probably does have his hof ticket punched. However, had Eager picked up the pucks when Philly won, Pronger would have probably tried to beat the shit out of him. Pucks go to winning coaches or goaltenders, not the trashcan.
                                                                                                I would love to see Eager and Pronger fight. Almost as much as I loved seeing Pronger buckle like a little school girl when somebody his size got in his grill during game 5.

Comment

I would love to see Eager and Pronger fight. Almost as much as I loved seeing Pronger buckle like a little school girl when somebody his size got in his grill during game 5.
                                                                                                  Hell yeah, he's had it too easy these playoffs. I don't think many teams have challenged him to this point. He's made Buff an afterthought the first 4 games. They really started forechecking him last game, and it seemed to work. His minutes dropped and he was -5

Comment

Lol eager fight pronger... Do you wanna know what eager did in one of his last games in philly? He was challenged by george laraque, eager declined so laraque went off. So what does eager do? He goes after 40 year old gary roberts and gets his ass kicked. So don't expect eager to man up and fight pronger. And how do you figure he buckled like a school girl?

Comment

• Game 6.

Tonight.

I am excited, should be an unbelievable tilt. You'd have to be bat-shit crazy to miss this, easily the premier sporting event of the year (except for the potential game 7).

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X