• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
    Mullen out at Florida.
    That’s gonna hurt the banking account.
    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• If you want Fickell as ND's next coach, the best case scenario might be that Franklin leaves Penn State and he takes that job. Big enough to be a step up, but not big enough that he can't be poached when the time is right. He might also prefer that over some of the other open spots because its still mostly operating in the Midwest and probably doesn't have the unrealistically high expectations or organizational dysfunction of places like USC, LSU or Florida.

Comment

• I think Billy Napier will land one of gigs at a larger program.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
          Mullen out at Florida.
          There are more top jobs open than top coaches available.

Between Florida and LSU, dare I suggest the Urban rumours start up again?

Comment

• Fickell has be be getting calls from Florida and LSU

Comment

• Random poster on USC site that they’re respecting as an insider (broke Helton firing news) says Fickell to USC ain’t happening

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                It sounded like from what I listened to they’d be hiring a new AD and Manny gets a year to save his job or they will go after Cristobal next cycle. Cristobal no shot he takes it though unless they convince him they’ll actually support the program
                They have a Coral Gables problem.

Lot of big dough.
                Less land

Lots of big dough that is not that excited about college football.

And playing far off campus simply does not work.

the Orange Bowl in Little Havana was the exception

Comment

Random poster on USC site that they’re respecting as an insider (broke Helton firing news) says Fickell to USC ain’t happening
                  I believe it. I just don’t see southern cal as a top job. Fickell could have his pick, might be pining for a particular one, and sc just isn’t some drop everything and go kind of job.

Comment

• Any chance fickell thinks Day may take a NFL job and he's waiting it out to take over at OSU?

Comment

• Decent chance Napier:

- First choice for TCU, passed
                      - Top group if not choice for Va Tech
                      - early but potentially top group for Florida
                      - Top backup for LSU, maybe most likely
                      - Top choice for ASU if they move on

Passing on South Carolina and Auburn looking pretty damn smart lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                        Any chance fickell thinks Day may take a NFL job and he's waiting it out to take over at OSU?
                        If he’s eyeing the CFP this year then he’s probably not going to be ready to make any decisions on a timeline that works for these schools. Especially with early signing day in December.

Comment

• I think the sense of regret on when will I get the next job at that level has somewhat been lowered with UC joining the Big 12 and the CFP is part of it. Imagine this continues to be Fickell’s world: AAC with a 4 team playoff and compare that to his future if he stays of Big 12 with a 8-12 team playoff and Big 12 has an AQ. That is reason to not take a USC or LSU you aren’t totally comfortable with. Michigan, PSU, OSU, & ND while none are open you can imagine one comes open in the next 5 years. I still think Florida would a decent place to take that jump though.

Comment

• Give me the choice between Napier and Franklin, I'm choosing Napier without even thinking twice.

It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Once the top level schools make their hires, I am really curious if the Clemson staff doesn't get torn apart with those next level openings. Both Venables and Elliot have been reluctant to interview for jobs when the team is going to the playoffs. Will be interesting to see if that changes this year. Both those guys could be in play - and maybe above Marcus Freeman...

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                Once the top level schools make their hires, I am really curious if the Clemson staff doesn't get torn apart with those next level openings. Both Venables and Elliot have been reluctant to interview for jobs when the team is going to the playoffs. Will be interesting to see if that changes this year. Both those guys could be in play - and maybe above Marcus Freeman...
                                If those guys were ever going to leave, now is the time to do it, considering where Clemson is going to finish and the amount of high end jobs that are open right now.

I think Marcus Freeman is going to get calls and interviews now. These recent results on the field will not be ignored and nor will the list of verbals he's put together. The current openings will be filled and those fillings will create additional openings. If Fickell leaves UC and or Campbell leaves Iowa State, those are potentially great landing spots for Freeman.
                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Interesting thought but Billy Gonzales (UF) and Mickey Joseph (LSU) are two of the best WR coach recruiters in the country and are likely hitting free agency. Not a fan of the free agent OLine coaches so far that I know of but interesting names out there for WR coach

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                    Interesting thought but Billy Gonzales (UF) and Mickey Joseph (LSU) are two of the best WR coach recruiters in the country and are likely hitting free agency. Not a fan of the free agent OLine coaches so far that I know of but interesting names out there for WR coach
                                    Gonzales reportedly makes $632K a year at Florida. Joseph makes $407K. I don't know what Alexander makes at ND but can we assume it is less than both of these? I'd assume both get snapped up rather quickly, but I question them as plausible hires at ND to begin with.

Pitt wide receivers coach Brennan Marion would be a fantastic hire. There is also Trey Holtz from Louisiana Tech, who is not only good, but Lou's grandson. Iowa State running backs/wide receivers coach Nate Scheelhaase would be another guy I'd look at. All are currently employed, seem like good culture fits and are probably economically viable.

Comment

• DeBoer, Hafley, Harsin, Wilcox and Oregon St HC Jonathan Smith

I’ve seen Campbell, Aranda and Sitake too elsewhere

Comment

• Hafley is interesting. Didn’t realize he’d get West Coast looks but now seeing he was with Shanahan, some people love that guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Gonzales reportedly makes $632K a year at Florida. Joseph makes $407K. I don't know what Alexander makes at ND but can we assume it is less than both of these? I'd assume both get snapped up rather quickly, but I question them as plausible hires at ND to begin with.

Pitt wide receivers coach Brennan Marion would be a fantastic hire. There is also Trey Holtz from Louisiana Tech, who is not only good, but Lou's grandson. Iowa State running backs/wide receivers coach Nate Scheelhaase would be another guy I'd look at. All are currently employed, seem like good culture fits and are probably economically viable.
                                          Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on what our co-ordinator and position coach figures look like? Have we become top tier or second tier competitive? I'd have to assume we've been taking steps by virtue of the fact that Freeman's here, but anyone with further details?
                                          My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

Comment

• Originally posted by hungryhippo View Post

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on what our co-ordinator and position coach figures look like? Have we become top tier or second tier competitive? I'd have to assume we've been taking steps by virtue of the fact that Freeman's here, but anyone with further details?
                                            I do not. Safe to say the OC and DC do fine. Where it goes from there I honestly do not know.

I have a hard time imagining the WR coach is making $500K+

Comment

• i lol'ed
                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Napier to UF is hot hot on the streets. I think he’s the Florida or LSU coach in the next week. He’s either gonna take the Florida job or he’s using it as a last straw make your decision move to LSU

Comment

I haven't watched much of Pitt this year. Have they been using any elements of his go-go offense? Because if he is still refining that and using it, it might work really well with Buchner.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post

I haven't watched much of Pitt this year. Have they been using any elements of his go-go offense? Because if he is still refining that and using it, it might work really well with Buchner.
                                                    Knowing what I know of that offense and having watched Pitt a few times (Pickett is really good), if they are using any of it they are using snippets at best. Go Go is a very unique offense and Pickett has a set of talents that lend themselves to throwing the ball downfield.

Marion is WR coach and is up and coming. If he were to run that offense he'd have to become HC at a place like Akron. At that point he becomes like the guy at Coastal Carolina if it works. "Well, he can do that in the MAC, but he can't do that in the ACC or Big Ten." Or if it fails he's done for.

I think he's up and coming to a level where if he came to ND he may not be there long, and we all know how so many in this fan base think assistant coaches should be there for life.

Comment

• I want Lane Kiffin to go to USC. The hiring would be official when a USC jet arrives at an Oxford airport and picks him up on the runway.
                                                      Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                                                        I want Lane Kiffin to go to USC. The hiring would be official when a USC jet arrives at an Oxford airport and picks him up on the runway.
                                                        Florida may actually consider him to replace Mullen. He'd be a good fit in some ways.
                                                        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

Florida may actually consider him to replace Mullen. He'd be a good fit in some ways.
                                                          If this were to happen, I wonder if Ole Miss would consider Napier.

I look at what Napier has done and he's truly done more with less where he currently is. Giving a guy like that resources could end well. I think he's young and hungry enough that he'd get after it. Fully understand how and why Kiffin is attractive to LSU and Florida. You just better realize you get everything that comes with him.

Comment

If this were to happen, I wonder if Ole Miss would consider Napier.

I look at what Napier has done and he's truly done more with less where he currently is. Giving a guy like that resources could end well. I think he's young and hungry enough that he'd get after it. Fully understand how and why Kiffin is attractive to LSU and Florida. You just better realize you get everything that comes with him.
                                                            Kiffin has a high ceiling and might take a team like LSU or Florida to a NC, but yeah, there's always the fear that you get Bad Lane and your program gets set back several years. I'm a little surprised that LSU didn't grab Napier already. He just seems like the obvious hire.
                                                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• another thing to consider is how many college guys will make jump to NFL and vice versa
                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

Kiffin has a high ceiling and might take a team like LSU or Florida to a NC, but yeah, there's always the fear that you get Bad Lane and your program gets set back several years. I'm a little surprised that LSU didn't grab Napier already. He just seems like the obvious hire.
                                                                If people look at the staffs Napier has been on, he's coached under some pretty heavy hitters. People are hesitant because they don't know who he is and don't watch Louisiana play ever.
                                                                Chadwell started in Division II. Napier has coached under Tommy Bowden, Dabo, McElwain, Jimbo and Saban. He's seen how the sausage is made at a big school.

I think Kiffin was turned a few small corners since SC, but he's still polarizing and there is a lot of risk with potential reward.

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coaching-jobs
                                                                  Prehistoric

Comment

If people look at the staffs Napier has been on, he's coached under some pretty heavy hitters. People are hesitant because they don't know who he is and don't watch Louisiana play ever.
                                                                    Chadwell started in Division II. Napier has coached under Tommy Bowden, Dabo, McElwain, Jimbo and Saban. He's seen how the sausage is made at a big school.

I think Kiffin was turned a few small corners since SC, but he's still polarizing and there is a lot of risk with potential reward.
                                                                    You get a like for the sausage comment. Lol

Comment

• Reports that Sonny Dykes will leave SMU and take the TCU job.

SMU is reportedly going after Miami OC Rhett Lashlee.

Comment

• Assuming Del is gone. Does anyone think Keenan Bailey gets looked at? ND grad, has probably had the best apprenticeship of a future WR coach learning from Brian Hartline, and is talked about a lot when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by BauerOutage View Post
                                                                          Assuming Del is gone. Does anyone think Keenan Bailey gets looked at? ND grad, has probably had the best apprenticeship of a future WR coach learning from Brian Hartline, and is talked about a lot when it comes to recruiting.
                                                                          Does anyone think that he would leave OSU to come back to ND?

Comment

• Word is Bernie Parmalee is going to get cut by Urban. Bring him back to ND, either to coach TEs or maybe WRs.

Comment

Assuming Del is gone. Does anyone think Keenan Bailey gets looked at? ND grad, has probably had the best apprenticeship of a future WR coach learning from Brian Hartline, and is talked about a lot when it comes to recruiting.
                                                                              tricky. If you look at their most recent hires, it's Taylor, McNulty and O'Leary.

Taylor and McNulty had coaching success and reputations as recruiters, so both were from the experienced pool.

O'Leary was from the young pool, but apparently is a phenom, and Marcus speaks highly of him.

While those three come from different pools. all three appear to be highly successful. One could argue that McNulty is our best recruiter, if you look at the TE depth chart.

Given the WR situation, you'd think they'd follow the Taylor/McNulty model, but if Keenan Bailey fits the "special traits" that O'Leary has, who knows.......

Comment

I absolutely think he would be on the short list. Being an offensive quality control coach he’s got to be looking for a promotion to position coach at some point and I doubt Hartline is leaving any time soon.

Comment

• Keenan Bailey, from the 247Sports 30Under30 list 2020:

"Keenan Bailey, Ohio State, Quality Control Coach (25): Last year, Corey Dennis made this list in the role Bailey now occupies. Considering Dennis is now Ohio State's QB coach, it's a good place to be. Bailey had a few on-field offers this offseason but turned them down to remain on Ryan Day’s staff for another season. He previously worked with Ohio State’s receivers – both as a GA and quality control coach – and transitioned to quarterbacks this offseason. One Buckeye source said of Bailey: “He will be the next guy to get a big job from Ohio State.” Bailey started his career at Notre Dame, where he was a recruiting analyst for two years."

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I absolutely think he would be on the short list. Being an offensive quality control coach he’s got to be looking for a promotion to position coach at some point and I doubt Hartline is leaving any time soon.
                                                                                    I know nothing about what Hartline wants from his career but you would have to figure he's going to get some big time OC opportunities soon, right?

Comment

• Might have been Penn St or nothing in the end IMO. Dude is clearly not leaving the Midwest at this point

Comment

Might have been Penn St or nothing in the end IMO. Dude is clearly not leaving the Midwest at this point
                                                                                        The loyalty is refreshing to see.

Comment

Might have been Penn St or nothing in the end IMO. Dude is clearly not leaving the Midwest at this point
                                                                                          it would take a special level of commitment to wait until after early enroll season to hire youre next coach. ESPN discussed this in the article I linked yesterday:

Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell is on the short list for every major opening right now, but he might be the least movable of the top candidates, for several reasons. The biggest is Cincinnati's historic bid to reach the CFP. If the Bearcats made it, Fickell would be untouchable until early January, which is likely too long to wait for programs such as USC, Florida and LSU. "Fick's off the table for everybody," an industry source said. He also doesn't have the same urgency to move. He's in a great situation at Cincinnati, which soon will join the Big 12. Unlike most nomadic coaching families, the Fickells have never had to leave Ohio. The jobs Fickell is best suited for, Notre Dame and Ohio State, likely aren't opening this year unless NFL teams start courting Buckeyes coach Ryan Day. Things could change dramatically if Cincinnati falls to East Carolina this week, Houston next week or is left out of the top four. Fickell has a direct connection to USC through athletic director Mike Bohn, and likely would be open to a job like Florida. But don't be surprised if he stays at UC.
                                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

The loyalty is refreshing to see.
                                                                                            I’m sure the loyalty is getting a sizable monetary reward and could still see him gone in the next few years. Who opens next out of Michigan/PSU/ND/OSU becomes the question.

Comment

I’m sure the loyalty is getting a sizable monetary reward and could still see him gone in the next few years. Who opens next out of Michigan/PSU/ND/OSU becomes the question.
                                                                                              Like a lot of things I wonder if we would pay him enough or if he could handle the increased pressure the fans and school would expect from him. But he seems like one of the better off the field choices. And you might not be loyalty just not the perfect scenario for him.

i personally see Kelly signing at 4 or 5 year extension.

Comment

Harbaugh seems to bought himself a bit more time with this season even if he loses to OSU/Bowl Game. Maybe not a ton more but he did show improvement.
                                                                                                PSU obviously just gave Franklin a massive ext. not that it necessarily stops him from getting canned there at some point but unlikely to be "next"
                                                                                                OSU likely isnt moving on from Day anytime soon, but the NFL will start calling. Does he take a job in the next 2-4?
                                                                                                Kelly is likely here for 3 more minimum.

I would say Michigan has highest odds on opening first then OSU with Day moving on to NFL (basing this on my own guess).

Do I see Fickell still at Cincy in 4 years for him to follow Kelly - No.
                                                                                                Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

Harbaugh seems to bought himself a bit more time with this season even if he loses to OSU/Bowl Game. Maybe not a ton more but he did show improvement.
                                                                                                  PSU obviously just gave Franklin a massive ext. not that it necessarily stops him from getting canned there at some point but unlikely to be "next"
                                                                                                  OSU likely isnt moving on from Day anytime soon, but the NFL will start calling. Does he take a job in the next 2-4?
                                                                                                  Kelly is likely here for 3 more minimum.

I would say Michigan has highest odds on opening first then OSU with Day moving on to NFL (basing this on my own guess).

Do I see Fickell still at Cincy in 4 years for him to follow Kelly - No.
                                                                                                  Do you think if OSU blows them out by 40 he keeps his job?

Comment

Read where he was only interested in moving to ND, OSU or PSU. He's biding his time until one of those opens up and we all know which one will open up next.

Comment

• I think Fickell staying is good news on a couple fronts for ND:

- Freeman staying more likely to the point if very likely
                                                                                                      - We get to see Fickell as a candidate without Sauce, Ridder Myjai etc
                                                                                                      - If UC to the Big 12 happens early or if BK is still here for a while and Fickell is at UC for a while longer, we get to see Fickell on a P5 setting
                                                                                                      - Likely would have well at USC

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X