No announcement yet.

2017 College Football Playoff (ND #15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 College Football Playoff (ND #15)

Playoff Committee Rankings 11/14:

1. Clemson
    2. Auburn
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Wisconsin
    5. Alabama
    6. Georgia
    7. Miami (FL)
    8. Ohio State
    9. Penn State
    10. USC
    11. TCU
    12. Stanford
    13. Washington
    14. UCF
    15. NOTRE DAME
    16. Michigan State
    17. LSU
    18. Washington State
    19. Oklahoma State
    20. Memphis
    21. Northwestern
    22. Virginia Tech
    23. Mississippi State
    24. NC State
    25. Fresno State

*Notre Dame and its opponents in bold

Future Rankings:
    12/3 (Selection Day)
    Last edited by IrishLion; 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM.

Here's a fun one from yesterday that made me want to start the thread early so it didn't get buried in the General Team Info thread, where Andy Staples went back-and-forth for an hour or so on Twitter about hypotheticals involving ND/UGA/Bama:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh, it’ll be hysterical. Because that would be three of the four. ND’s schedule is brutal. If they went 11-1 and Bama and UGA 12-0... <a href="https://t.co/FwJct0hq95">https://t.co/FwJct0hq95</a></p>&mdash; Andy Staples (@Andy_Staples) <a href="https://twitter.com/Andy_Staples/status/917478081643909121?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Bump. Rankings coming soon. Time to officially discuss.
      “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

ND vs Miami is a play-in game.

Comment

First rankings, Alabama, Georgia, and who?

Wisconsin? Undefeated but damn they are not that good.
          Miami? Copy Paste the above.
          Ohio State? Only one real win still.

I’d go Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame.

Comment

Bucky beating State Penn gonna make this a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
              First rankings, Alabama, Georgia, and who?

Wisconsin? Undefeated but damn they are not that good.
              Miami? Copy Paste the above.
              Ohio State? Only one real win still.

I&rsquo;d go Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame.
              Hell no. Clemson behind all of those teams you mentioned.

Comment

Idk who you put in front of us other than Georgia and Bama.

Comment

Really hoping Ohio State would have been eliminated today. Sucks.
                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

We will be #4 I think. Maybe they'll put Clemson ahead of us. If they really want to they'll have Michigan State outside the top 25 to justify it but we will be #4 I think.

Bama
                    Georgia
                    Ohio State
                    Notre Dame
                    Clemson

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                      Hell no. Clemson behind all of those teams you mentioned.
                      To clarify, it’s not what I want I was thinking out loud for the committee. I feel like we might hear about the OSU loss as “oh it was just one game early in the year” or Clemson “oh it was just an upset”.

The committee will justify one of those two teams losses in that fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
                        To clarify, it’s not what I want I was thinking out loud for the committee. I feel like we might hear about the OSU loss as “oh it was just one game early in the year” or Clemson “oh it was just an upset”.

The committee will justify one of those two teams losses in that fashion.
                        The difference is, OSU has actually beaten somebody. Clemson hasn't.

Comment

If the committee does what is right and just, UGA will be #1. A very flawed #1. But Bama has no résumé other than being undefeated they’re best win is maybe TAMU which isn’t even good.

Comment

I think ND starts at 6.

Comment

The difference is, OSU has actually beaten somebody. Clemson hasn't.
                              PSU > Auburn and Virginia Tech is debatable take. Who says Penn State should even be that quality of a win? Penn State has no Top 25 wins.

Where Ohio State and Wisconsin are slotted will say a lot about the committee’s view of the Big 10. I think they shouldn’t have any respect for the conference this year. The beat down Clemson put on OSU could linger in some minds.

Comment

From the NC St thread.

If determining the best 4 teams to put in the CFP is the reason they have a 12-13 game season, cancel the remainder of the slate and select UGA, Bama, ND and OSU so we don't have to wait until January. The eye tests are in and graded.

Comment

I would go:
                                  1. UGA
                                  2. Alabama (though their resume is suspect AF)
                                  3. ND
                                  4. OSU
                                  5. Clemson
                                  6. Miami
                                  7. Wiscy
                                  "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                    I would go:
                                    1. UGA
                                    2. Alabama (though their resume is suspect AF)
                                    3. ND
                                    4. OSU
                                    5. Clemson
                                    6. Miami
                                    7. Wiscy
                                    How do you put Clemson ahead of PSU when you look st Clemson loss.

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                      Depends on whether the committee puts more weight on wins or losses. My feeling is that Clemsons wins over Auburn and Va Tech will outweigh Penn State's wins over... michigan???

Plus I think they will (rightly) see that their loss came with their QB banged up for a half and out for the other half.
                                      "...and our hearts forever, love thee Notre Dame!"

Comment

An absolute garbage OOC schedule and a really pretty atrocious schedule in general. PSU lost to the only legit team they played.
                                        "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

I think ND is 6th at lowest, and with this many weeks to go, I'm completely okay with that.

Comment

Derp.

Comment

I’d argue that our win today is about as impressive as PSU’s “best win” over a mediocre Michigan team. We should be ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                I&rsquo;d argue that our win today is about as impressive as PSU&rsquo;s &ldquo;best win&rdquo; over a mediocre Michigan team. We should be ahead of them.
                                                Easily, I don't think anyone is questioning that. The unknowns are OSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma. Penn State should drop hard.

Comment

Derp.
                                                  Lolz. I thought we hit our ceiling last week?
                                                  Originally posted by koonja
                                                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                    Lolz. I thought we hit our ceiling last week?
                                                    Think he's talking about PSU.
                                                    "I do believe there's a Squatch in these woods."

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAlum1997 View Post
                                                      Think he's talking about PSU.
                                                      I know. I’m referring to when he said we hit our ceiling last week.
                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

I worry that the committee is suddenly enamored with OSU after a dramatic win and Clemson now that Bryant is back and healthy, and don’t pay enough attention to ND throttling two top-15 opponents back-to-back because the games weren’t exciting based on competitiveness.

I worry ND will be a victim of a crowded 3:30 viewing window.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                          I worry that the committee is suddenly enamored with OSU after a dramatic win and Clemson now that Bryant is back and healthy, and don&rsquo;t pay enough attention to ND throttling two top-15 opponents back-to-back because the games weren&rsquo;t exciting based on competitiveness.

I worry ND will be a victim of a crowded 3:30 viewing window.
                                                          I wouldn't be shocked if the CFP committee is an elaborate ruse and all they're really using are the old BCS computers.

Comment

The one thing that would make me completely lose my mind is if PSU is ahead of us.

They had a loss that's virtually equal to ours. They beat a #25 Michigan team. We've beaten 2 (3 if MSU is ranked) teams ranked better than that.

If PSU is ranked ahead of ND it should end up in the supreme court.

Comment

Derp.
                                                              That guy is such a joke.

Comment

Screw the rankings or what happens, based on what we know now, who are the teams you don't want to see?

For me it's:
                                                                1) Bama (PTSD)
                                                                2) Georgia (They left some points on the board and we're conservative with their true frosh's first start)
                                                                3) Clemson
                                                                4) OSU

No one else scares me and I think we could beat some of the above, but I'd rather not find out.
                                                                Last edited by koonja; 10-28-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Playoff Predictions

Griese, ESPN, has:

1. AL
                                                                  2. UGA
                                                                  3. ND
                                                                  4. WIS

McShay has:
                                                                  1 ALA
                                                                  2. UGA
                                                                  3. ND
                                                                  4 CL

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                    Griese, ESPN, has:

1. AL
                                                                    2. UGA
                                                                    3. ND
                                                                    4. WIS

McShay has:
                                                                    1 ALA
                                                                    2. UGA
                                                                    3. ND
                                                                    4 CL
                                                                    How anyone actually thinks Wisconsin is one of the four best teams is beyond me. Even Clemson seems a stretch. But good to see us in there.

Comment

Screw the rankings or what happens, based on what we know now, who are the teams you don't want to see?

For me it's:
                                                                      1) Bama (PTSD)
                                                                      This. I think this team is light years ahead of 2012 in many ways, but who wants to lose to Saban again? I haven't followed Bama this year, and they really haven't played a tough game, but PTSD is still right. If we keep winning and coaching doesn't change for the worse, I don't see anyone wiping the floor like 2012. Loss maybe, but not a blowout.
                                                                      2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                        Griese, ESPN, has:

1. AL
                                                                        2. UGA
                                                                        3. ND
                                                                        4. WIS

McShay has:
                                                                        1 ALA
                                                                        2. UGA
                                                                        3. ND
                                                                        4 CL
                                                                        Herbstriet :
                                                                        1.AL
                                                                        2.UGA
                                                                        3. ND
                                                                        4. OH ST

Pollack:
                                                                        1.UGA
                                                                        2.AL
                                                                        3. CL
                                                                        4.ND

Comment

Anthony Brecht ESPN

1. ALA
                                                                          2. UGA
                                                                          3. OSU
                                                                          4. ND

First 2 Out
                                                                          5. Miami
                                                                          6. Clem

Rocky Boiman Picks
                                                                          1. ALA
                                                                          2. UGA
                                                                          3. ND
                                                                          4. MIA

First 2 Out
                                                                          5. OSU
                                                                          6. WIS
                                                                          Last edited by BGIF; 10-29-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Think Herbie and McShay have it right, Bama, UGA, ND as top three. Toss up between
                                                                            OSU and Clemson for 4th.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I wouldn't be shocked if the CFP committee is an elaborate ruse and all they're really using are the old BCS computers.
                                                                              Isn't the BCS model pretty much known? Would be pretty obvious.

Even so i'd rather have the BCS than this subjective bs. There was nothing wrong with the BCS's method. The issue was it boiling down to 2 teams instead of 4.

Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                                                              Herbstriet :
                                                                              1.AL
                                                                              2.UGA
                                                                              3. ND
                                                                              4. OH ST

Pollack:
                                                                              1.UGA
                                                                              2.AL
                                                                              3. CL
                                                                              4.ND
                                                                              Man Clemson over us would really irk me. Their loss is much worse and is VT and Auburn really any better than blowouts over MSU USC and NCST?

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Oh if ND wins out they’ll be in over Clemson...IF the U beats VT...If not it’s an “eye test” and ND has no championship game...

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish Houstonian View Post
                                                                                  Oh if ND wins out they’ll be in over Clemson...IF the U beats VT...If not it’s an “eye test” and ND has no championship game...
                                                                                  If It’s an eye test (which it shouldn’t be) then beating every team by more then 20pts a game including 3 top 25 teams I mean come on.

We have 3 top 25 wins. The rest of the top 10.... 7 combined!

Joey Galloway on ESPN has us 3 behind UGA and Al

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Just saw that Kirb has us as #3! he gets it!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      How 'bout ISU?

Only team this year to beat two Top 5 teams!

They've played a tougher schedule than Alabama.

ESPN graphic

CULTURE CHANGE
                                                                                      ISU vs AP Top 5 Teams

Pre 2017
                                                                                      1-56-2 with a -29.9 Point Differential

2017
                                                                                      2-0 with +7.0 Point Differential

Head Coach Matt Campbell is in his second season at ISU.

Think Swarbrick has his him on speed dial?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        ISU is one heck of a good team! They have beaten some awesome teams, just don't think they could beat Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State or Penn State. These teams IMHO are the standard thus far this year. It will be interesting to see where they end up on the rankings this week.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Heather Dinich ESPN just chimed in with her picks.

1. ALA or UGA because of their win over ND ... better competition than ALA so far.
                                                                                          2. UGA or ALA
                                                                                          3. ND because of solid wins and 1 point loss to UGA.
                                                                                          4. Between OSU, OU and CL because of their defense against GT.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by ndcoltsfan2010 View Post
                                                                                            ISU is one heck of a good team! They have beaten some awesome teams, just don't think they could beat Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State or Penn State. These teams IMHO are the standard thus far this year. It will be interesting to see where they end up on the rankings this week.
                                                                                            ISU also has two losses, 3 points to Iowa and 10 points to Texas.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                                                                              If It’s an eye test (which it shouldn’t be) then beating every team by more then 20pts a game including 3 top 25 teams I mean come on.

We have 3 top 25 wins. The rest of the top 10.... 7 combined!

Joey Galloway on ESPN has us 3 behind UGA and Al
                                                                                              Don’t get me wrong — Notre Dame is flat out better than Clemson. Period. But the question is: how do we jump them? Occam’s Razor says beat a Top-10 Miami.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                We're getting to the point where we need to root hard for our rivals.

Like, was very good Stanford pulled it out the other night and great to see (or sleep through) USC drill Arizona State last night. Two very big games for us in the ACC next week in Miami-VT and Clemson-NC State. And maybe Sparty can bounce back against a hungover Penn State? Stanford's also got a tough game at Wazzu.

Our SOS is good right now, but we'll need some breaks for it to hold up. Would help our case a ton if one or two of those teams win their conference and finish in, say, the top 15. USC feels like our best bet.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Usc’s performance last night against a previously decent ASU defense should be a bunch of transitive feathers in the cap for ND.

Ronald Jones went off. Darnold looked like Heisman caliber. Our defense made them look absolutely average.

Now let’s go Wolfpack. Beat Clemson.

Comment

• #50

Dudes...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X