Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Strong receives a tounge lashing by a USF alum judge

Merited or no?
    Judge Margaret Taylor calls out South Florida Bulls coach Charlie Strong for player arrests

I didn't think players were a big issue at Texas or Louisville.

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

They weren't really. He's a pretty strict coach with solid values, at least on the surface. He's been there what, 5-6 months. These aren't "his" players. He didn't recruit them or even have very much time with them at this point. So, I'm not sure how you can blame him for all the bad apples. Wouldn't that be on Taggart, who now is using Daddy Phil's money to win recruits hearts.

Comment

Charlie Strong Receives a tounge lashing by a usf alum judge

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

This lady is insane. Strong has a heavier hand than almost every other D1 coach.

She didn't seem to mind when they had a strength and conditioning coach that tried to kill players. Hindsight I know, but it speaks to the level of clientele USF has or did have.
        Last edited by IrishSteelhead; 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Strong is the one who tamed the wild bunch after he replaced Mack and the s hit show he left. He's fine. This judge is nuts.
          Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Strong is one of the proverbial good guys.

Judge is bucking for a 9th circus appointment.
            One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

I think the judge is overstepping her position as a public worker by leaps and bounds. None of what she says comes off as impartial. In fact, she sounds like she has something against either Strong or the football program at USF.
              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

is this even thread worthy?

Comment

Originally posted by ND NYC View Post
                  It's the off season...
                  My dinner plans are thread worthy.
                  Pasta, garlic bread, red sauce.
                  We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Originally posted by ND NYC View Post
                    You're asking on the board where wooden spoons, vacuums and timeshares get their own threads.

Comment

The guy's been there, what, six months? It's a safe bet these kids were assholes long before Strong showed up. I'm guessing he's not the problem here.

Comment

I'm sorry but Strong is notorious for running a zero tolerance, no nonsense, clean program. Did it at Louisville and Texas, he's a man of impeccable character. He did not recruit either of these players, and has only been at USF for a hot minute.

This judge can get fucked with her sanctimonious bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
                          You're asking on the board where wooden spoons, vacuums and timeshares get their own threads.
                          There's a thread on vacuums? Dang. I need to spend more time on IE.
                          60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                            I think the judge is overstepping her position as a public worker by leaps and bounds. None of what she says comes off as impartial. In fact, she sounds like she has something against either Strong or the football program at USF.
                            I hate to be this guy, but I got the slightest whiff of racism... but sometimes I confuse that smell with the generic "want to be in the headlines" odor.

Comment

It looked like she was reading a pre-written statement, which seems to be to be unusual for the circumstances. Very strange overall, and I believe clearly out of line.

Comment

Charlie Strong receives a tounge lashing by a USF alum judge

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                I hate to be this guy, but I got the slightest whiff of racism... but sometimes I confuse that smell with the generic "want to be in the headlines" odor.

Yeah I caught that vibe too. Another theory I have is she knows he is going to take a blowtorch to a secretly toxic program and is trying to get ahead of the scorched earth aftermath to save face.

Comment

Maybe she's posturing to further advance her career.

"Look at me. I told Coach Strong to clean up his program and he did".

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post
                                    It's the off season...
                                    My dinner plans are thread worthy.
                                    Pasta, garlic bread, red sauce.
                                    Scalllops, Asparagus and a glass of whiskey

Comment

I thought it was interesting that her statement talked about (starting with) lack of control off of the field, and ended up in talking about 'time will tell if he has control on the field.'

It sort of confused me, sticking way out. It seemed to me like she was almost more concerned with her alma mater winning, didn't it?

I understand everyone's perception and point that think she may be grandstanding, etc. And that she is off kilter in her statement.

I guess if I had to take her words or concepts and prepare a message for that situation I would like to have seen something like :

"Coach Strong, you were hired to come in and take control of this team on the field last December. Time will tell if you succeed. But, if you don't take steps to control your team off the field, your chances of success really diminish. I stress this to you because I am a USF alumni and want to proudly support my alma mater. This week, with these two incidents cast an embarrassing paul over all of our feelings of pride in USF."

Comment

i hope we know the judge filed a recusal order cause her mouth might have tainted the case

Comment

Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                          I thought it was interesting that her statement talked about (starting with) lack of control off of the field, and ended up in talking about 'time will tell if he has control on the field.'

It sort of confused me, sticking way out. It seemed to me like she was almost more concerned with her alma mater winning, didn't it?

I understand everyone's perception and point that think she may be grandstanding, etc. And that she is off kilter in her statement.

I guess if I had to take her words or concepts and prepare a message for that situation I would like to have seen something like :

"Coach Strong, you were hired to come in and take control of this team on the field last December. Time will tell if you succeed. But, if you don't take steps to control your team off the field, your chances of success really diminish. I stress this to you because I am a USF alumni and want to proudly support my alma mater. This week, with these two incidents cast an embarrassing paul over all of our feelings of pride in USF."

From a judge, I would have liked to have seen something like this:
                                          I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Seems to be watching to much Judge Judy

Comment

Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post

Both the Judge Taylor's and Bog's post go to the misconception that a coach is responsible for a a player's behavior off the field. Both reproof's miss the point that both Jackson and Childress are first STUDENTS at USF then players. You can't be an athlete at a university without being a student AND subject to rules of conduct of that university.

These are young men. Jackson is 22 years old, and they are responsible for their actions, and if anyone is to discipline them it starts with the Administration at USF. If Judge Taylor wanted to call her university on the carpet for lack of discipline or direction she should have chided Danielle McDonald, USF Assistant Vice President & Dean of Students and/or Judy Genschaft, USF President.

Genschaft is no stranger to discipline at USF. In 2003 she fired a tenured associate professor, Sami Al-Arian. Dealing with student athletes should be a welcome relief after the Al-Arian saga.

Judge Taylor was off base using her bench to sermonize. She could have better made a point through a letter to the President Genschaft, the Board of Trustees, and the her alumni association. Instead she lectures Strong, a coach who inherited Jackson when he took the job. If Jackson wasn't an RKG why did the USF Admissions Department admit him to USF?

Judge Taylor fumbled badly.

Comment

So we all agree, Coach Strong to replace BK?
                                                When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                Working...
                                                X